Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give George Burley an interview ME! 12:57 - May 23 with 3422 viewschristiand

I'd still have him back as our manager.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:01 - May 23 with 2677 viewsHerbivore

Christ no.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:06 - May 23 with 2666 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:01 - May 23 by Herbivore

Christ no.

Why not? He ticks a lot of ME's 5 point plan and do you not think he'd have learnt from his experience with us last time? Personally, I'd feel that GB would really get our academy up and running, even better than it is currently and we'd see more youngsters pushing for first team starts while trying to play proper football. I'd imagine his appointment would get a lot of support too, even I might have to purchase a ST Herbivore!!! Certainly warrants an interview in my view.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 13:08]

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:12 - May 23 with 2648 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:06 - May 23 by christiand

Why not? He ticks a lot of ME's 5 point plan and do you not think he'd have learnt from his experience with us last time? Personally, I'd feel that GB would really get our academy up and running, even better than it is currently and we'd see more youngsters pushing for first team starts while trying to play proper football. I'd imagine his appointment would get a lot of support too, even I might have to purchase a ST Herbivore!!! Certainly warrants an interview in my view.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 13:08]

He's been out of the game for 7 or 8 years and has had no success in English football in a decade. It's a silly idea driven purely by sentimentality.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:21 - May 23 with 2630 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:12 - May 23 by Herbivore

He's been out of the game for 7 or 8 years and has had no success in English football in a decade. It's a silly idea driven purely by sentimentality.

Just playing Devil's advocate, lets say Alex Ferguson showed an interested in the manager's job. Turn him down because he has been out of football for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

GB is a blue.
Is he a good coach? Yes.
Does he develop young players? Yes.
Does his sides play eye catching football? Yes.
Do you lose how to coach footballing sides because you have been out of the game for a period of time? No.
Would he get well supported by the fans if appointed? Yes.

Think we'd be in better hands having GB back in charge instead of going further down ME's managerial list and getting hoodwinked by other clubs. No sentimentality, makes sense to me.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:26 - May 23 with 2607 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:21 - May 23 by christiand

Just playing Devil's advocate, lets say Alex Ferguson showed an interested in the manager's job. Turn him down because he has been out of football for the last 4 or 5 seasons?

GB is a blue.
Is he a good coach? Yes.
Does he develop young players? Yes.
Does his sides play eye catching football? Yes.
Do you lose how to coach footballing sides because you have been out of the game for a period of time? No.
Would he get well supported by the fans if appointed? Yes.

Think we'd be in better hands having GB back in charge instead of going further down ME's managerial list and getting hoodwinked by other clubs. No sentimentality, makes sense to me.

Burley's last couple of jobs didn't go well, if you're basing it on what he did here that was over 15 years ago now. It's time to move on. The game has changed and there is no sanity in the idea of bringing Burley back. It is pure sentimentality and nothing more. If people suggested Curbishley - managed at a similar level, good record with bringing through youngsters - people would quite rightly scoff. It shouldn't be any different for Burley just because he's a Town legend.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:38 - May 23 with 2586 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:26 - May 23 by Herbivore

Burley's last couple of jobs didn't go well, if you're basing it on what he did here that was over 15 years ago now. It's time to move on. The game has changed and there is no sanity in the idea of bringing Burley back. It is pure sentimentality and nothing more. If people suggested Curbishley - managed at a similar level, good record with bringing through youngsters - people would quite rightly scoff. It shouldn't be any different for Burley just because he's a Town legend.

Doesn’t mean that because a manager has been out of the game that they are not capable of rekindling past glories or should be put on the scapheap. Think we’d be in good hands under his guidance and he’d have the club at heart in his decision making too. I’d very much look forward to our games, knowing I’d be entertained and we’d play some good stuff. The way things are going it might end up with GB’s appointment anyway if potential candidates are hoodwinked or they turn ME down. Everyone is now saying we still have Hurst, he might conceivably turn us down too no guarantees he’d leave a club where he is successful and settled.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:23 - May 23 with 2554 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 13:38 - May 23 by christiand

Doesn’t mean that because a manager has been out of the game that they are not capable of rekindling past glories or should be put on the scapheap. Think we’d be in good hands under his guidance and he’d have the club at heart in his decision making too. I’d very much look forward to our games, knowing I’d be entertained and we’d play some good stuff. The way things are going it might end up with GB’s appointment anyway if potential candidates are hoodwinked or they turn ME down. Everyone is now saying we still have Hurst, he might conceivably turn us down too no guarantees he’d leave a club where he is successful and settled.

Can you name another manager who has come back past the age of 60 with nearly 10 years out of English football and done a good job?

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:35 - May 23 with 2542 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:23 - May 23 by Herbivore

Can you name another manager who has come back past the age of 60 with nearly 10 years out of English football and done a good job?

You’ve changed the goalposts there Herbivore, I thought you mentioned earlier GB had been out of the game for 7-8 seasons now nearly 10? Well, I do have a name for you off the top of the dome Jupp Heynckes, the Bayern Munich manager, 4-5 years out of the game and 73 years of age!! Now he didn’t have a bad year with Bayern last season with a league and cup double and a CL semi final appearance.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 14:42]

Login to get fewer ads

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:42 - May 23 with 2524 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:35 - May 23 by christiand

You’ve changed the goalposts there Herbivore, I thought you mentioned earlier GB had been out of the game for 7-8 seasons now nearly 10? Well, I do have a name for you off the top of the dome Jupp Heynckes, the Bayern Munich manager, 4-5 years out of the game and 73 years of age!! Now he didn’t have a bad year with Bayern last season with a league and cup double and a CL semi final appearance.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 14:42]

So one example, which relates to a world class manager who had been out of the game for just over half the length of time Burley has. I'm unconvinced.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:45 - May 23 with 2521 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:42 - May 23 by Herbivore

So one example, which relates to a world class manager who had been out of the game for just over half the length of time Burley has. I'm unconvinced.

That's one more than you were expecting, lets be honest!! Oh, so it is now 10 years out of the game now for GB? FYI, Burley last managed Cypriot side Apollon Limassol in 2012 so 6 years ago and Crystal Palace the year before!
[Post edited 23 May 2018 14:51]

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:46 - May 23 with 2514 viewsvapour_trail

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:23 - May 23 by Herbivore

Sir Bobby?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:46 - May 23 with 2510 viewsvapour_trail

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:46 - May 23 by vapour_trail

Sir Bobby?

Roy Hodgson?

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:47 - May 23 with 2508 viewsvapour_trail

Roy Hodgson?

To clarify, I think Burley would be a batsh1t appointment.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 14:53]

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 15:10 - May 23 with 2469 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 14:45 - May 23 by christiand

That's one more than you were expecting, lets be honest!! Oh, so it is now 10 years out of the game now for GB? FYI, Burley last managed Cypriot side Apollon Limassol in 2012 so 6 years ago and Crystal Palace the year before!
[Post edited 23 May 2018 14:51]

And he failed at both.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 15:11 - May 23 with 2462 viewsHerbivore

Roy Hodgson?

He and Sir Bob were still in management at a good level though, not knocking about down the pub for 7 years.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:03 - May 23 with 2417 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 15:10 - May 23 by Herbivore

And he failed at both.

What like most managers, who have been in the game for a while, have a blemish on their managerial record?
[Post edited 23 May 2018 16:09]

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:11 - May 23 with 2394 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:03 - May 23 by christiand

What like most managers, who have been in the game for a while, have a blemish on their managerial record?
[Post edited 23 May 2018 16:09]

You reckon employing a manager who failed at his last two jobs then didn't manage for 7-8 years would be a good appointment. I find that genuinely staggering. It'd be like Wigan going back in for Paul Jewell.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:14 - May 23 with 2383 viewsSomethingBlue

Great, shall we stick Marcus Stewart up top and get Magilton back to run the midfield as well? Fancy Mogga to do a job at the back while we're at it. Gary Croft could do something in that problem right-back position too. Unless of course they're all ... erm ... completely past it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:20 - May 23 with 2369 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:11 - May 23 by Herbivore

You reckon employing a manager who failed at his last two jobs then didn't manage for 7-8 years would be a good appointment. I find that genuinely staggering. It'd be like Wigan going back in for Paul Jewell.

I see you've come back down from 10 years now Herbivore? Genuinely, with his affinity for our club, what he is like as a coach (which is a real strength), his success rate in developing young players and his side's playing ethos - Yes, think he'd be a decent appointment from where we find ourselves currently and exactly what ME is craving from his 5 point plan.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:22 - May 23 with 2359 viewsSomethingBlue

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:20 - May 23 by christiand

I see you've come back down from 10 years now Herbivore? Genuinely, with his affinity for our club, what he is like as a coach (which is a real strength), his success rate in developing young players and his side's playing ethos - Yes, think he'd be a decent appointment from where we find ourselves currently and exactly what ME is craving from his 5 point plan.

We would be relegated to the third tier. I'd rather not have that on Burley, who like everyone else I have the fondest memories of.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:23 - May 23 with 2361 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:14 - May 23 by SomethingBlue

Great, shall we stick Marcus Stewart up top and get Magilton back to run the midfield as well? Fancy Mogga to do a job at the back while we're at it. Gary Croft could do something in that problem right-back position too. Unless of course they're all ... erm ... completely past it.

We still talking managers? You seem to have gone off on one there SomethingBlue.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:47 - May 23 with 2336 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:20 - May 23 by christiand

7 years, 10 years, it doesn't really matter. He was on the way down 7 years ago and hasn't managed since. It's a terrible idea.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:48 - May 23 with 2336 viewsReuser_is_God

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:14 - May 23 by SomethingBlue

To be fair they’re probably still good enough to get in our team at the minute.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:54 - May 23 with 2321 viewschristiand

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:47 - May 23 by Herbivore

7 years, 10 years, it doesn't really matter. He was on the way down 7 years ago and hasn't managed since. It's a terrible idea.

Well it does if you are making a point and it’s the main issue of your argument. However, I respect your view Herbivore, but I beg to differ.

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 17:00 - May 23 with 2310 viewsHerbivore

Give George Burley an interview ME! on 16:54 - May 23 by christiand

Well it does if you are making a point and it’s the main issue of your argument. However, I respect your view Herbivore, but I beg to differ.

The fact he's been out of the game a long time after seemingly being on a downward spiral is the main thrust of my argument. Whether that long time is 7 years or 10 years doesn't really matter. I also said the best part of 10 years out of the English game, 7+ years isn't exactly miles away from being the best part of 10 years. In any case it's a long time out of the game and it's an even longer time since he actually had any success as a manager.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024