Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one 15:31 - May 23 with 6084 viewsginkyblue

who wants Burley to take charge?

Poll: Letting smoke bomb off

Am I the only one on 19:33 - May 23 with 1981 viewsMullet

Am I the only one on 19:29 - May 23 by Keaneish

Why's he an awful candidate? Is it the Curbishley effect ie: being "out-of-the-game" for a number of years, whatever that means?

Of course, that's a huge factor. Given we've just had enough of one "dinosaur" the logic on that alone makes it so. Pretending it's not is just delusional.

Let alone what he has done in the interim of that spell here, accompanied by Butcher's record etc.

It was very nice to see they care, and it's a shame pointing this out gets you painted as somehow ungrateful towards not one by two unquestionable heroes here. But the fact is, it's a hugely backward and odd move for the club, contravenes pretty much every criteria going for the new manager and makes little sense.

If a manager similar to Burley but not ITFC previously was mooted it'd cause absolute uproar. The only thing holding together his candidacy is nostalgia. Simple as that. Which makes it a rather ludicrous position.

Especially when in all likelihood it goes wrong and harms them, us and the club so much to appease a few people stuck in the past and/or unable to cope with the here and now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Am I the only one on 19:37 - May 23 with 1978 viewsreusersfreekicks

Am I the only one on 19:33 - May 23 by Mullet

Of course, that's a huge factor. Given we've just had enough of one "dinosaur" the logic on that alone makes it so. Pretending it's not is just delusional.

Let alone what he has done in the interim of that spell here, accompanied by Butcher's record etc.

It was very nice to see they care, and it's a shame pointing this out gets you painted as somehow ungrateful towards not one by two unquestionable heroes here. But the fact is, it's a hugely backward and odd move for the club, contravenes pretty much every criteria going for the new manager and makes little sense.

If a manager similar to Burley but not ITFC previously was mooted it'd cause absolute uproar. The only thing holding together his candidacy is nostalgia. Simple as that. Which makes it a rather ludicrous position.

Especially when in all likelihood it goes wrong and harms them, us and the club so much to appease a few people stuck in the past and/or unable to cope with the here and now.

Spot on. Let it go people
Am I the only one on 20:45 - May 23 with 1944 viewsKeaneish

Simply because someone is over the age of 50 and hasn't managed for a few years, it hardly makes them a dinosaur. It also doesn't make them past it, out of touch or incompetent. Mick was labelled a dinosaur because of his brand of football and his repetitive, dull, bland, regurgitated rhetoric amongst a whole host of other things - i fail to see the the correlation.

I'd rather a tried and tested pair of hands like Burley than i ever would a Lampard.

Does appointing a previous manager mean you're stuck in the past? No. Why is Burley's contention only rooted in nostalgia? That's nonsense. The man has a very decent record. I'd give him an interview on that alone.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Am I the only one on 20:53 - May 23 with 1940 viewsHerbivore

Am I the only one on 20:45 - May 23 by Keaneish

Simply because someone is over the age of 50 and hasn't managed for a few years, it hardly makes them a dinosaur. It also doesn't make them past it, out of touch or incompetent. Mick was labelled a dinosaur because of his brand of football and his repetitive, dull, bland, regurgitated rhetoric amongst a whole host of other things - i fail to see the the correlation.

I'd rather a tried and tested pair of hands like Burley than i ever would a Lampard.

Does appointing a previous manager mean you're stuck in the past? No. Why is Burley's contention only rooted in nostalgia? That's nonsense. The man has a very decent record. I'd give him an interview on that alone.

Are you an alt of christiand? It'd make a lot of sense if you were actually.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Am I the only one on 21:04 - May 23 with 1926 viewsMullet

Mick was labelled a dinosaur because people didn't bother looking around, unless al they could see were their own sphincters through teary eyes.

The irony of him being branded that as he changed between 3-5-2, 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1 in his final 18 months made it all the more evident, it was up there with hoofball for things people said over and over until they believed they were true.

To pretend it'd be hypocrisy not to apply the same logic to Burley because his promotion was even further back in time, took several attempts and was with us only illustrates what I'm saying.

The fact that again, Burley not being my choice means he's comparable to Lampard is like choosing which nut you want you zapped in terms of logical arguments here.

I'm not even sure you even read my posts half the time we do this in all honesty. You giving him an interview is lovely, but again only vindicates my points further.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 21:10]

Am I the only one on 21:20 - May 23 with 1915 viewsHerbivore

Would you give Alan Curbishley or Peter Reid an interview?

Am I the only one on 21:24 - May 23 with 1909 viewsMonkey_Blue

No... I’d be up for that. I think he’d get the club going in the right direction from a playing style point of view and know how and when to get the younger players in the side.
Am I the only one on 21:34 - May 23 with 1897 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You mean like Alec Ferguson or Kenny Dalgleish?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one on 21:37 - May 23 with 1892 viewsKeaneish

Am I the only one on 21:20 - May 23 by Herbivore

Would you give Alan Curbishley or Peter Reid an interview?

Neither have applied for the job...

Am I the only one on 21:38 - May 23 with 1889 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Am I the only one on 21:37 - May 23 by Keaneish

Neither have applied for the job...

Would either talk if approached though?

Am I the only one on 21:40 - May 23 with 1880 viewsMullet

Am I the only one on 21:34 - May 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

You mean like Alec Ferguson or Kenny Dalgleish?

I'm not sure Fergie went back to Aberdeen did he? Or get sacked etc.

I think the idea it'd turn out as well as King Kenny did in his return is optimistic to be honest. And he still failed with his league finish by their standards.

But let's be honest, GB is dead in the water as a candidate. If Evans got him and Butcher in it'll be late on and the most horrific PR stunt possible.

Am I the only one on 21:56 - May 23 with 1861 viewsKeaneish

Am I the only one on 21:40 - May 23 by Mullet

I think the idea it'd turn out as well as King Kenny did in his return is optimistic to be honest. And he still failed with his league finish by their standards.

But let's be honest, GB is dead in the water as a candidate. If Evans got him and Butcher in it'll be late on and the most horrific PR stunt possible.

If Ross goes to Sunderland, Hurst gets promoted, Lampard remains too expensive and Sherwood's out of the running, i wouldn't say it was dead in the water. Burley's now down to 9/1 with some bookies....

Am I the only one on 21:57 - May 23 with 1861 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Am I the only one on 21:40 - May 23 by Mullet

My point was I think if we had a chance to appoint either the time out of the game wouldn't stop us.

We definitely have a chance to appoint Burley. He was a very successful manager. The fact it was with us should not count against him.

That said, I would say it should be an if all better options hit a brick wall. I believe there are better options out there. I also share the concern about it being with Butch. As much as I like Butch, he has not covered his managerial career in glory has he?

Am I the only one on 23:24 - May 23 with 1821 viewslongtimefan

Am I the only one on 19:29 - May 23 by Keaneish

Why's he an awful candidate? Is it the Curbishley effect ie: being "out-of-the-game" for a number of years, whatever that means?

I'd have thought the question should be "Why has he been out of the game for 8 years?"
Am I the only one on 23:32 - May 23 with 1813 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I would welcome him back. I just can't see it happening.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Am I the only one on 07:28 - May 24 with 1703 viewsKeaneish

Am I the only one on 23:24 - May 23 by longtimefan

I'd have thought the question should be "Why has he been out of the game for 8 years?"

Not sure but its more like 5 years and 9 months since Apollon Limassol. Is he a step in the right direction? Maybe in some respects. Is he a forward thinking appointment? Not really. Is he better than other candidates? Yes. Is he out of touch because he’s been out of work? No. Is it a nostalgia appointment only? No.

Burley and Butcher would get a huge amount of backing. I’d rather a Mogga/Venus combo with Burley upstairs if we go down that route. Never been convinced by Butcher as a manager.

Hurst or Ross are more intriguing appointments admittedly and we’d all rather any of the above than a Gerrard or Lampard circus.

Am I the only one on 07:31 - May 24 with 1700 viewsHerbivore

Am I the only one on 07:28 - May 24 by Keaneish

Not sure but its more like 5 years and 9 months since Apollon Limassol. Is he a step in the right direction? Maybe in some respects. Is he a forward thinking appointment? Not really. Is he better than other candidates? Yes. Is he out of touch because he’s been out of work? No. Is it a nostalgia appointment only? No.

Burley and Butcher would get a huge amount of backing. I’d rather a Mogga/Venus combo with Burley upstairs if we go down that route. Never been convinced by Butcher as a manager.

Hurst or Ross are more intriguing appointments admittedly and we’d all rather any of the above than a Gerrard or Lampard circus.

Your answers to at least two of those questions in the first paragraph are wrong.

Edit - four of the questions actually.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 7:33]

Am I the only one on 11:44 - May 24 with 1662 viewsKeaneish

Am I the only one on 07:31 - May 24 by Herbivore

Your answers to at least two of those questions in the first paragraph are wrong.

Edit - four of the questions actually.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 7:33]

Sssh. Eat your vegetables. You and i don't agree on anything, we know this, its hardly new news.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024