Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. 23:07 - Aug 21 with 10224 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Whilst I think it was 100% time for MM to move on, I have been to all 4 league games this season and cant see too much different from under MM.

We may be passing to ball slightly more, but not in threatening areas at all. We have scored 3 league goals, neither centre forward has recorded a goal yet. We are playing 5 across the midfield and there is definitely still an element of 'long ball football'.

Am I missing something?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 11:21 - Aug 22 with 4493 viewsMeenoITFC

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 23:09 - Aug 21 by Superblue95

You appear to be missing the fact that we are 4 games into a new season with a new manager and 9 new players.

Yes the start to the season has been disappointing but to judge the style of football or results any time before xmas is very premature

I disagree with this. How can you be premature judging a team and manager before xmas, that could be too late and we are rock bottom of the championship. This is the players job there paid to play football, it isn't an excuse to get poor results just because there still 'settling in'.

I agree at this moment its too early, but very soon if we don't get the results alarm bells will be ringing.

on top of that I cant see our strike force lighting up the championship and goals win you games.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:25 - Aug 22 with 4486 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:21 - Aug 22 by ITFCBlues

Well no - we could've had a squad of about 13-14 players, but instead he signed 9! It wasn't exactly a decision, unless we decided we wanted to give Gleeson, Hyam, Carayol etc contracts - but we'd obviously decided to go down a different route.

We HAD to sell Waghorn, as has been talked about this week. Garner was similar. Webster, i don't think anyone can really argue that the money on offer was too good to turn down for a player that was always injured.

You can argue if he's got the right players in of course. But a lot of those that have left HAD to be replaced.

So we had to sign 9 players, because we decided to let a number of the existing ones who finished in the top half last season go then

Fab 👍🏿

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:26 - Aug 22 with 4481 viewsITFCBlues

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:25 - Aug 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So we had to sign 9 players, because we decided to let a number of the existing ones who finished in the top half last season go then

Fab 👍🏿

Who would you have kept?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 11:31 - Aug 22 with 4467 viewsGerkensBeard

You’re also missing the fact there’s always an option for the centre half from midfield. With MM midfielders never picked the ball up off the back 4. Only time we went long was under pressure yesterday or a ball which could release someone. Certainly no aimless hoofs. I was particularly impressed with how Nsiala even under pressure can still find a town shirt with a clearance down the line which he did numerous times to Edwards
I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 11:44 - Aug 22 with 4449 viewsFrimleyBlue

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 23:16 - Aug 21 by TheTrueBlue1878

What does that have to do with playing 5 across the midfield, with one striker.

Having watched Shrewsbury a total of 8 times last season I have an idea of how PH likes his teams to play. He does base his teams defensive first, he does play 1 up front, he does play 4-1-4-1. His strikers are isolated, his strikers dont score enough goals, his strikers dont get enough support. He bases a lot of philosophy on fitness and out running people.

I got shouted at for raising the lack of goals scored by Shrewsbury last season and that the majority of wins were 1-0 or 2-1

In this league, if you struggle to score goals, you are going to find it a lot lot harder to grind out the 1-0 or 2-1 victories against clubs who realistically 90% are better than us in this division and have more financial clout.

I'm just going to sit back and follow the town and see where it takes us, I like the freshness but i can't see how this side is going to compete this season, but we'll see

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:53 - Aug 22 with 4423 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:26 - Aug 22 by ITFCBlues

Who would you have kept?

Wouldn't have signed all lower league players if I'm brutally honest. I would have integrated a blend of the best of the lower leagues but would have blended with some championship experience.

Would have taken, Nolan, Edwards, Chalobah. But wouldn't have spent over 2 million on inexperienced no.9's at this level, or a centre half who hasn't played at this level.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 12:11 - Aug 22 with 4403 viewsPositivelyPortman

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 23:10 - Aug 21 by Along

yes, your are missing Mick, me too a bit

FFS. Missing Mick - you really need to get over this.
His style of football was turgid and boring, and get this into your heads - he isn’t coming back.
Missing Mick

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 12:13 - Aug 22 with 4400 viewsSuperblue95

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 11:21 - Aug 22 by MeenoITFC

I disagree with this. How can you be premature judging a team and manager before xmas, that could be too late and we are rock bottom of the championship. This is the players job there paid to play football, it isn't an excuse to get poor results just because there still 'settling in'.

I agree at this moment its too early, but very soon if we don't get the results alarm bells will be ringing.

on top of that I cant see our strike force lighting up the championship and goals win you games.

That's fair enough but what is the alternative? Become one of those clubs that sack a manager every 6 months if things aren't going brilliant? I think we can all agree we don't want to be one of them clubs.

Vast majority of us wanted change, now we've got it. We can't go back and I for one don't want to. Just enjoy the journey and see where it brings us

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:16 - Aug 22 with 4397 viewsPositivelyPortman

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:53 - Aug 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Wouldn't have signed all lower league players if I'm brutally honest. I would have integrated a blend of the best of the lower leagues but would have blended with some championship experience.

Would have taken, Nolan, Edwards, Chalobah. But wouldn't have spent over 2 million on inexperienced no.9's at this level, or a centre half who hasn't played at this level.

The centre half that you speak of, was one of the best players last night.
I suggest that you didn’t see the match and you’re just making up things to moan about.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 13:35 - Aug 22 with 4362 viewsbraveblue

Played more football on the ground. No doubt about it. And we try to press - not sit back and hope. Against Villa with 10 men we would have sat back and lost by 3 a la Fulham.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:43 - Aug 22 with 4349 viewsbluehook

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:25 - Aug 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Fab 👍🏿

Are you thick?
Waghorn and Garner both asked for moves McGoldrick was knackered and could barely run and Webster was £3.5m windfall.
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:07 - Aug 22 with 4324 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:16 - Aug 22 by PositivelyPortman

The centre half that you speak of, was one of the best players last night.
I suggest that you didn’t see the match and you’re just making up things to moan about.

Nsiala's pace worries me sometimes but he somehow manages to win the vast majority of his battles and mop up. He's still raw but he's looking like a good acquisition.
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:28 - Aug 22 with 4295 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:43 - Aug 22 by bluehook

Are you thick?
Waghorn and Garner both asked for moves McGoldrick was knackered and could barely run and Webster was £3.5m windfall.

So again, none of those sales were forced...

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - Aug 22 with 4285 viewsITFCBlues

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:28 - Aug 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So again, none of those sales were forced...

Let's cut to the chase. We should never have allowed MM to leave.

He'd just delivered a mid-table finish last season & he'd never have sold those players that wanted to leave.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:51 - Aug 22 with 4283 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - Aug 22 by ITFCBlues

Let's cut to the chase. We should never have allowed MM to leave.

He'd just delivered a mid-table finish last season & he'd never have sold those players that wanted to leave.

I think it was the right time for McCarthy to go, and very much supportive of the approach we have taken to appoint an up and coming manager who has had success in the lower leagues

Despite that, the decision to change was always going to be a risk and the early signs do worry me. It’s certainly possible that we will turn the corner, but as it stands I see a lack of goals in the side that I’m struggling to really see how we rectify. Failing to get a win soon could also impact the players confidence (especially with so many new players to this level) - not difficult to see therefore how we could get sucked into a dogfight if results don’t pickup soon

The whole new players and system doesn’t wash with me either. Change was needed and if it’s one step back to take two forward then great, but at the end of the day it’s Hurst who has chosen this approach, not something that’s been forced on him

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:30 - Aug 22 with 4254 viewsITFCBlues

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:51 - Aug 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think it was the right time for McCarthy to go, and very much supportive of the approach we have taken to appoint an up and coming manager who has had success in the lower leagues

Despite that, the decision to change was always going to be a risk and the early signs do worry me. It’s certainly possible that we will turn the corner, but as it stands I see a lack of goals in the side that I’m struggling to really see how we rectify. Failing to get a win soon could also impact the players confidence (especially with so many new players to this level) - not difficult to see therefore how we could get sucked into a dogfight if results don’t pickup soon

The whole new players and system doesn’t wash with me either. Change was needed and if it’s one step back to take two forward then great, but at the end of the day it’s Hurst who has chosen this approach, not something that’s been forced on him

It really was forced on him though? Even if we had kept those 3 players, all the other players were out of contract so could've up'd sticks and left regardless of if he wanted to keep them. We'd then still be looking at 9 players coming in (Once he gets the other 3 he also wants). It's also debatable how, if being kept, those other three would've reacted/performed having not been allowed to leave. We'd also have the small problem of needing to replace 6-9 players with no money.

Of all those three leaving, i'd say it's Garner that we're currently missing. His hold up play and ability in the air was very underrated. That's really what we need again now. I agree, it's concerning for me how utterly toothless we are. Last night i didn't really see any real strategy of how we were trying to play either. It's all very disjointed. We need to get these 3 players in that he's after & hopefully come back after the international break better. I think those two weeks on the training ground are key to how we hopefully move forward.

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 18:08 - Aug 22 with 4216 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

We are playing 1 up front still.
I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 18:38 - Aug 22 with 4198 viewsBluedanW

I have to be honest, I cant say I saw too much different from MM tonight. on 23:15 - Aug 21 by BlueAllOver

Nope, Bart goes long virtually every time and so do most of the back four, not sure what people are watching to say we are playing out from the back. Some nice passing at times in the middle of the pitch. Certainly not the massive difference some make out. That is not a criticism of Hurst, as to be fair the defensive unit he has are not particularly suited for controlled passing from the back.

A decent striker on loan if possible got to be the priority.

We still have Bart, Knudsen and chambers who will find it hard to change tactics. Especially the latter two as they don't know any other way of playing. A reason maybe Webster shoukd of been kept as he could play out for the back.
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:01 - Aug 22 with 4139 viewsmeekreech

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:36 - Aug 22 by SamWhiteUK

Clubs financially in a different position though aren't they

Main point is that the new manager knows what he is doing! We have been fooled ( by lower league success ) into employing a manager who is out of his depth in a league where most of the other managers have the experience of the higher levels to be able to adapt tactics and personnel on the run. They also have, in the main, better quality players who are able to up their game more easily, many having international experience!

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:05 - Aug 22 with 4135 viewsBloomBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:01 - Aug 22 by meekreech

Main point is that the new manager knows what he is doing! We have been fooled ( by lower league success ) into employing a manager who is out of his depth in a league where most of the other managers have the experience of the higher levels to be able to adapt tactics and personnel on the run. They also have, in the main, better quality players who are able to up their game more easily, many having international experience!

Pep turned us down and fans didn't want Megson, we went for Hurst
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024