Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Duncan's Ipswich 01:13 - Sep 1 with 9801 viewsParamedic

I know social media didn't exist in 1987 but he built a shocking side that those of us can remember still gave our 100 % support to. There weren't many of his signings that made the grade and don't forget this was hot on the heels of a very successful Robson era when like it or not we were spoiled and a not so successful Ferguson era who in my eyes was really unfortunate to inherit the job after the fall out of sales to pay for a stand. Football has changed ten fold since those days. Expectations are possibly higher now. Stick with Hurst though, I can see something positive happening here. Out of Duncan's signings the ones that stuck out for me were David Lowe, Warky obviously, Louie Donawa and Ian Redford. Graham Harbey not great though!😀
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 1:18]

AllalallalSunderland

John Duncan's Ipswich on 01:56 - Sep 1 with 9324 viewsThe_Last_Baron

We should have done better with the players we had under Duncan.

His signings we 50/50. Lowe for 80k was a bargain. Warky coming back was brilliant and Linighan was a good signing, he went on to captain us to the title. Pennyfather, Harbey, Hill not so good. Baltacha and Redford were fine players who we should have got more out of.

During that era we had Atkinson, Lowe, D'Avray was still there, Wark, Humes, Linighan, Donowa, Kiwomya, Zondervan, Dozzell, Stockwell, Redford, Yallop, Brian Gayle for a bit, Forrest...we needed to be making the play offs with those players.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

John Duncan's Ipswich on 06:14 - Sep 1 with 9236 viewsThe_Major

Duncan era highlights:

Sergei's debut with the 5-1 shellacking of Stoke
Beating those yellow fools in the ZDS (Gawd bless it) the year they finished 5th in Division 1.
Having our first live match on the TV since 1978 (although admittedly we lost)

Erm...there must be more, surely?
John Duncan's Ipswich on 06:40 - Sep 1 with 9210 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

John Duncan's Ipswich on 06:14 - Sep 1 by The_Major

Duncan era highlights:

Sergei's debut with the 5-1 shellacking of Stoke
Beating those yellow fools in the ZDS (Gawd bless it) the year they finished 5th in Division 1.
Having our first live match on the TV since 1978 (although admittedly we lost)

Erm...there must be more, surely?

1st Division Norwich 0-4 2nd Division Ipswich

1990 was it?

What a night of partying back in Ipswich that was!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

John Duncan's Ipswich on 07:32 - Sep 1 with 9138 viewsPendejo

John Duncan's Ipswich on 06:40 - Sep 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

1st Division Norwich 0-4 2nd Division Ipswich

1990 was it?

What a night of partying back in Ipswich that was!

Are there any highlights to this game?
Was it 89 or 90?

Hospital Cup, nothing game... but boy was it enjoyable.
Milton, Wark, Thompson & Woods?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

John Duncan's Ipswich on 07:49 - Sep 1 with 9106 viewscrunchie1978

John Duncan's Ipswich on 01:56 - Sep 1 by The_Last_Baron

His signings we 50/50. Lowe for 80k was a bargain. Warky coming back was brilliant and Linighan was a good signing, he went on to captain us to the title. Pennyfather, Harbey, Hill not so good. Baltacha and Redford were fine players who we should have got more out of.

During that era we had Atkinson, Lowe, D'Avray was still there, Wark, Humes, Linighan, Donowa, Kiwomya, Zondervan, Dozzell, Stockwell, Redford, Yallop, Brian Gayle for a bit, Forrest...we needed to be making the play offs with those players.

To be honest a lot of Duncan players were in div 2 winning side.
Lyall signed whitton and Goddard....brought through Gav Johnson and Phil Whelan and lower league in Neil Thompson...not to many wholesale changes just two experienced players a punt and bringing in youth and using what s already there.
John Duncan's Ipswich on 08:38 - Sep 1 with 9013 viewsParamedic

John Duncan's Ipswich on 07:49 - Sep 1 by crunchie1978

To be honest a lot of Duncan players were in div 2 winning side.
Lyall signed whitton and Goddard....brought through Gav Johnson and Phil Whelan and lower league in Neil Thompson...not to many wholesale changes just two experienced players a punt and bringing in youth and using what s already there.

Actually very true. I think the difference though was obviously the appointment of Lyall. A manager of vast experience who had his sides playing good football and not the long ball directed at the inaffecrive Neil Woods if I recall during the Duncan days.

AllalallalSunderland

John Duncan's Ipswich on 08:51 - Sep 1 with 8980 viewsParamedic

John Duncan's Ipswich on 01:56 - Sep 1 by The_Last_Baron

I don't think the Play offs were around then. I remember playing Charlton in a play off game in the 80s though but I think they finished 3rd bottom in the old 1st division and we finished 4th in div 2? Might have that wrong though.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 8:52]

AllalallalSunderland

John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:22 - Sep 1 with 8878 viewsBent_double

John Duncan's Ipswich on 08:51 - Sep 1 by Paramedic

I don't think the Play offs were around then. I remember playing Charlton in a play off game in the 80s though but I think they finished 3rd bottom in the old 1st division and we finished 4th in div 2? Might have that wrong though.

First attempt at the Play-offs, I think: 0-0 at PR and we lost either 1 or 2-0 at the Valley, so they got to stay in the old 1st Division.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:28 - Sep 1 with 8867 viewsPJH

John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:22 - Sep 1 by Bent_double

First attempt at the Play-offs, I think: 0-0 at PR and we lost either 1 or 2-0 at the Valley, so they got to stay in the old 1st Division.

It was 2-1(Steve McCall scored late in what was his and Cooper's last game for us) and it was actually at Selhurst Park because The Valley was not in use for two or three years round about that time.

edit-also Bobby Ferguson's last game as manager.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 10:32]
John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:46 - Sep 1 with 8826 viewsFullerFlavour

John Duncan's Ipswich on 07:32 - Sep 1 by Pendejo

Are there any highlights to this game?
Was it 89 or 90?

Hospital Cup, nothing game... but boy was it enjoyable.
Milton, Wark, Thompson & Woods?

I recorded the goals from this game a few years ago onto my phone from an old video played on a TV and put them on youtube. Not the greatest quality…..

John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:54 - Sep 1 with 8803 viewsElephantintheRoom

Completely disagree - Duncan made some excellent signings and encouraged the young players to develop. Dalian Atkinson was one of the most exciting talents we've ever produced and Kiwomya and Dozzel developed into fine players during Duncans time. Lowe was an excellent signing as was Linighan. Wark was inspired. Even Harbey was sold to Brian Talbot's WBA at the same price he was bought for. A 50:50 success rate is pretty good. He built a side that Lyall made champions in 18 months with very few tweaks.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:08 - Sep 1 with 8781 viewsITFC_Forever

John Duncan's Ipswich on 08:51 - Sep 1 by Paramedic

The first year of the POs was 1986-87, our first season after relegation.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:10 - Sep 1 with 8778 viewsITFC_Forever

John Duncan's Ipswich on 10:46 - Sep 1 by FullerFlavour

I recorded the goals from this game a few years ago onto my phone from an old video played on a TV and put them on youtube. Not the greatest quality…..

Possibly my favourite kit.

That’s one I’d definitely buy if it was re-released.

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:22 - Sep 1 with 8754 viewsFullerFlavour

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:10 - Sep 1 by ITFC_Forever

Same here. During the summer it was released, Mick McNeil's shop in Clacton had both the home and away shirt on display in the window for two or three weeks. I had just started my first job then and every lunchtime, I walked past the window looking at them waiting until I got my first pay packet. Once that arrived, I then bought them both.
John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:39 - Sep 1 with 8709 viewsSmithersJones

I've still got my original of that kit. My son wears it quite a lot even though he supports QPR. It was also the kit we wore in the 91/92 promotion season so we must have had it for, what, three seasons? TWTD
John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:47 - Sep 1 with 8698 viewsThe_Major

Foolishly forgot about another highlight from that era: Dalian against Middlesbrough in THAT match.
John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:55 - Sep 1 with 8685 viewsjaykay

as you say social media didnt exist, but some had bed sheets to get their message across.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:56 - Sep 1 with 8684 viewsitfcjoe

You can pick it up for about £60.

Whilst that's pricey, surely better to have an original than pay £35-40 for a re-issue?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

John Duncan's Ipswich on 12:00 - Sep 1 with 8676 viewsITFC_Forever

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:56 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

You can pick it up for about £60.

Whilst that's pricey, surely better to have an original than pay £35-40 for a re-issue?

Hmm, maybe I’ll give it some thought.

I have got my original in the loft, not it would fit me now!

Lad a couple of years above me at school got Youds’ sub shirt from the Oxford away game when we secured promotion. Jammy git.

John Duncan's Ipswich on 12:01 - Sep 1 with 8674 viewsITFC_Forever

John Duncan's Ipswich on 11:39 - Sep 1 by SmithersJones

I've still got my original of that kit. My son wears it quite a lot even though he supports QPR. It was also the kit we wore in the 91/92 promotion season so we must have had it for, what, three seasons? TWTD

Yes, we had that kit for three years.

John Duncan's Ipswich on 12:37 - Sep 1 with 8633 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Duncan was a terrible manager and had some awful players like Harbey, Pennyfather. There is a possibility Hurst could be similar but then he could go on and put together a decent side, time will tell. I don't like the way he has farmed out the likes of Woolfy and JE who are more than capable of pushing for 1st team places.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

John Duncan's Ipswich on 13:11 - Sep 1 with 8574 viewsTrequartista

Duncan's reign of three out of three top 10 finishes is seen as unsucessful whereas our last manager was constantly crowing about top 10 finishes.

So i would say expectations have fallen, not risen.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

John Duncan's Ipswich on 14:47 - Sep 1 with 8470 viewsTerra_Farma

Quality.

Thanks for sharing.

TWTD.
John Duncan's Ipswich on 15:02 - Sep 1 with 8449 viewsArthur_Hayes

Excellent, and “French Kiss” by Lil Louis playing in the background I think - tune!
John Duncan's Ipswich on 16:22 - Sep 1 with 8383 viewsBluespeed225

That was a cracking day, great following for a pre season, I remember a little set to down here, 1990. All that, and Gerry Harrison AND Claire Webber too. Aah, Claire..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024