Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. 09:52 - Oct 18 with 15493 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend is Taiwanese. She lives in Taiwan, and was visiting the country for the first time, for a holiday, and to see me. Her plane landed at 4:30pm on Wednesday. After 11 hours of almost silence, aside from being asked a couple of questions about her on the phone, I was informed she had been denied entry into the country. I asked what the reason for her denial was, and they told me they couldn’t say, only that they have “criteria” and she didn’t match it.

1. She has all her documentation, including Passport and a signed “invitation” letter from me inviting her to stay at my home during her trip.

2. We have proof of our entirety of our relationship, from the moment we met, years of communication and photos of us together from my trip to Taiwan to see her.

3. We have proof that she would be staying at my home – a four bedroom house with mortgage fully paid off.

4. We have proof of my finances and that I would be sponsoring her entire stay. I am employed with regular income. I have 6-figure savings.

5. Our stories will have fully corroborated, as her visit was entirely genuine and legitimate.

After a 14 hour flight here, she now has 48 hours to sit in a an immigration centre, alone, before another 14-hour flight home. I was able to speak to her on the phone briefly at around midnight, and all she could do was cry.

I am crippled with despair for her. She hasn’t done anything wrong. We met all the publicly available criteria that we were able to find. How can we comply if they can’t tell us the reason for her denial?

Poll: This post made me smile.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 11:35 - Oct 18 with 2665 viewsjpr_23

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 11:08 - Oct 18 by Keno

Really sorry to hear this and makes absolutely no sense!!

I hope you are get someone sorted

Keep us updated and if you need any officials bombarded with emails giving you good character reference and how unfair this is just ask

I'm TWTD will do all we can to help!!

Think that the advice here is good. Get on to your MP, your MEPs and local paper and kick up a stink.

The press are aware of the government's 'hostile environment' stuff to make it look like we are being tough on immigration, and there is an argument that you and your girlfriend have been caught up in that despite not being an immigration case...

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:07 - Oct 18 with 2628 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 11:35 - Oct 18 by jpr_23

Think that the advice here is good. Get on to your MP, your MEPs and local paper and kick up a stink.

The press are aware of the government's 'hostile environment' stuff to make it look like we are being tough on immigration, and there is an argument that you and your girlfriend have been caught up in that despite not being an immigration case...

I'm concerned about making her a martyr and making it even more difficult for her to gain entry in the future. What we're leaning towards is letting her go this time, but contacting an immigration advice organisation so we can make certain of future re-entry, perhaps under an unmarried partnership VISA.

However, she's now been moved to a new facility and I can no longer contact her, so trying to organise any kind of action is difficult right now.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:09 - Oct 18 with 2621 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 11:35 - Oct 18 by jaseitfc

If she's visiting she has to show evidence of intent to go back to Taiwan.

My Peruvian wife has to do the same when visiting UK.

This goes under the radar though as virtue signallers only really care about the predominantly white EU nationals
[Post edited 18 Oct 2018 11:38]

This is probably it, because she left her job to visit here. Without a job to immediately go back to, it's difficult to prove intent to return.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:11 - Oct 18 with 2630 viewsElderGrizzly

This is horrendous and sadly we are seeing this happen more often in the UK.

I work from the FCO side, so hear of some of this on the other side of the world where it affects UK citizens and the key here will be they simply don't believe she will return after 6 months. I assume she has a return ticket as you didn't mention this?

On the stories corroborating, you might think they do, but it could be the smallest 'mistake' or inconsistency that will have also caused an issue. You'll never know what they have asked her sadly, until she tells you.

Don't mean to put a downer on it, but there is really very little you can do apart from she can apply again for a shorter period of time when she gets home.
Anyone watch "Better call Saul"?? on 12:11 - Oct 18 with 2619 viewsPendejo

If so are you familiar with Huell Babineaux?

If the answer to both the above is yes... you know what to do!
https://www.sajidjavid.com/

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:14 - Oct 18 with 2612 viewsStokieBlue

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:07 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

I'm concerned about making her a martyr and making it even more difficult for her to gain entry in the future. What we're leaning towards is letting her go this time, but contacting an immigration advice organisation so we can make certain of future re-entry, perhaps under an unmarried partnership VISA.

However, she's now been moved to a new facility and I can no longer contact her, so trying to organise any kind of action is difficult right now.

"However, she's now been moved to a new facility and I can no longer contact her, so trying to organise any kind of action is difficult right now.".

That's awful.

Hope things work out, you need to get their reasons.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:19 - Oct 18 with 2598 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:11 - Oct 18 by ElderGrizzly

This is horrendous and sadly we are seeing this happen more often in the UK.

I work from the FCO side, so hear of some of this on the other side of the world where it affects UK citizens and the key here will be they simply don't believe she will return after 6 months. I assume she has a return ticket as you didn't mention this?

On the stories corroborating, you might think they do, but it could be the smallest 'mistake' or inconsistency that will have also caused an issue. You'll never know what they have asked her sadly, until she tells you.

Don't mean to put a downer on it, but there is really very little you can do apart from she can apply again for a shorter period of time when she gets home.

Yes, she had a return ticket booked and paid for.

I'm sure the stories didn't corroborate 100%. They asked me, for example, how much savings she had. I don't know the answer to that and nor she in return about me.

Understand about applying for a shorter period but, without any specific guidelines, how are we supposed to know what is acceptable and what isn't? Is 2 months too long? 1 month? As long as she complies with VISA requirements, how are we supposed to know?

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:21 - Oct 18 with 2587 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:19 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

I'm sure the stories didn't corroborate 100%. They asked me, for example, how much savings she had. I don't know the answer to that and nor she in return about me.

Understand about applying for a shorter period but, without any specific guidelines, how are we supposed to know what is acceptable and what isn't? Is 2 months too long? 1 month? As long as she complies with VISA requirements, how are we supposed to know?

Thank you for all the support and kind words by the way. I don't care about how this affects me, but I'm devestated for what she must be going through. Just hoping she's okay until she eventually gets home.

Login to get fewer ads

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:37 - Oct 18 with 2549 viewsRyorry

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:21 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

Thank you for all the support and kind words by the way. I don't care about how this affects me, but I'm devestated for what she must be going through. Just hoping she's okay until she eventually gets home.

I suppose she wasn't allowed any online access whilst detained? Just seems so medieval (cue Guthers coming along to tell us how borders were so much more open back then!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:37 - Oct 18 with 2548 viewsSouperJim

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:19 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

Deepest sympathies. The whole system seems flawed and unjust to me, I know nothing about immigration law but surely some guidance could be provided before someone has paid for and endured such a long journey. I mean, why allow someone to fly halfway around the world on good faith and then decide they can't come in? Why aren't these checks made when someone applies for a Visa?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:41 - Oct 18 with 2543 viewsstickymockwell

On a Lighter note after reading points 3 and 4.
I'll be your girlfriend if you want.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2018 12:43]

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:44 - Oct 18 with 2538 viewsRyorry

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:41 - Oct 18 by stickymockwell

No, I'll be his girlfriend if he wants ..!

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:47 - Oct 18 with 2522 viewsDarth_Koont

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 10:13 - Oct 18 by chicoazul

That's what I thought too.

Also, we have to be seen to keep the Chinese happy these days.

I hadn't thought about that. Is pressure from mainland China restricting the movement of Taiwanese people an issue here or elsewhere?

If so, that pressure should be something we never entertain as a matter of principle.

Pronouns: He/Him

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:50 - Oct 18 with 2512 viewsRyorry

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:47 - Oct 18 by Darth_Koont

I hadn't thought about that. Is pressure from mainland China restricting the movement of Taiwanese people an issue here or elsewhere?

If so, that pressure should be something we never entertain as a matter of principle.

Would be outrageous if that were the case.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:51 - Oct 18 with 2519 viewsBurwell_Blue

All looks a bit suss to the powers that be.

If your mortgage is paid off and you have substantial savings, then I can deduce that you are of an certain age (50+)

If your friend is sub-30, then of course alarm bells will be ringing. We have all heard the tails of the 'rest of the family following close behind'

If she does not meet criteria then there is not a lot you can do I guess. Those savings should help you find someone closer to home I should think.
My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:51 - Oct 18 with 2510 viewsSwansea_Blue

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:44 - Oct 18 by Ryorry

No, I'll be his girlfriend if he wants ..!

4 bedrooms, so it sounds like there's room for both of you.

Mind you, it also sounds like he's into human trafficking, so I'd consider carefully...

Shouldn't make light really should we - must be absolutely horrible to go through, not that those in charge give a monkey's about people.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:52 - Oct 18 with 2503 viewsDarth_Koont

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:21 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

Good luck. Maybe hoping for a miracle over the next couple of days is too much to hope for, but I really wish things work out for you both in the long term.

Life and finding happiness can be difficult enough without state bureaucracy having a say in it too.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:53 - Oct 18 with 2498 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:41 - Oct 18 by stickymockwell

It's only because I never do anything remotely fun or interesting. I don't think you'd be very happy as my girlfriend unless you literally liked to do nothing except sleep and watch TV. And if you want kids, we're probably not compatible.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:56 - Oct 18 with 2487 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:51 - Oct 18 by Burwell_Blue

If your mortgage is paid off and you have substantial savings, then I can deduce that you are of an certain age (50+)

If your friend is sub-30, then of course alarm bells will be ringing. We have all heard the tails of the 'rest of the family following close behind'

If she does not meet criteria then there is not a lot you can do I guess. Those savings should help you find someone closer to home I should think.

She and I are 3 years apart in age, and everything I have is entirely provable. I understand how it could look at first glance, but they didn't even ask to see any evidence of what I claim to have.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:57 - Oct 18 with 2479 viewsStokieBlue

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:51 - Oct 18 by Burwell_Blue

Might be time to take a day off from being a total tool.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:58 - Oct 18 with 2474 viewsBlindOptimism

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:52 - Oct 18 by Darth_Koont

Good luck. Maybe hoping for a miracle over the next couple of days is too much to hope for, but I really wish things work out for you both in the long term.

Life and finding happiness can be difficult enough without state bureaucracy having a say in it too.

To be honest, my primary feelings aren't about getting her here anymore, or what happens in the future. Right now, I'm just desperate for her to be okay. It seems like I might not hear from her until Saturday or Sunday, and it's eating away at me already.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 13:00 - Oct 18 with 2468 viewsDarth_Koont

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:53 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

It's only because I never do anything remotely fun or interesting. I don't think you'd be very happy as my girlfriend unless you literally liked to do nothing except sleep and watch TV. And if you want kids, we're probably not compatible.

You and sticky won't have to worry about kids. You might have enough plugs but it's all dead sockets.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 13:02 - Oct 18 with 2460 viewsstickymockwell

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:53 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

Blinders. You're mortgage free, cash rich, support Town and fooking lazy. I think I'm in love.

I have enough children!

When do I move in?

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 13:04 - Oct 18 with 2455 viewsDarth_Koont

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 12:58 - Oct 18 by BlindOptimism

To be honest, my primary feelings aren't about getting her here anymore, or what happens in the future. Right now, I'm just desperate for her to be okay. It seems like I might not hear from her until Saturday or Sunday, and it's eating away at me already.

No, I understand completely.

I'm sure they'll blame procedures or resources but seems unduly harsh that you can't see more of her or support her during the next 48 hours. There seems to be a bit too much emphasis on guilt rather than innocence in how the whole thing is being handled.

My girlfriend has been denied entry into the country. on 13:04 - Oct 18 with 2461 viewsElderGrizzly

On an initial visit, no matter the supporting evidence, they might view 6 months as too long.

There is so much leeway though in the interpretation of rules, that it can be one person's view on yes/no.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024