Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frenkie De Jong 08:57 - Mar 6 with 4064 viewsgordon

Ajax midfielder, anyone seen much of him?

Poor man's Flynn Downes if you ask me.
Frenkie De Jong on 09:04 - Mar 6 with 3434 viewsKieran_Knows

Looks a bargain at £78m for Barcelona.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Frenkie De Jong on 09:08 - Mar 6 with 3418 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like Sneijder mark 2.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 09:46 - Mar 6 with 3352 views_

Frenkie De Jong on 09:08 - Mar 6 by StokieBlue

Looks like Sneijder mark 2.

SB

Frenkie De Jong on 09:47 - Mar 6 with 3346 viewssimmo1991

I watch him every week either at the arena or on TV. Great player, calm on the ball, positioning is spot on, delivers in the big games. Great deal for Barca.

BUT, keep your eyes on Matthijs de Ligt. This kid is going to be special.
Frenkie De Jong on 09:49 - Mar 6 with 3337 viewsStokieBlue

on 09:46 - Mar 6 by _

Glenn Hoddle for Swindon against Ipswich circa 1992?

OK, that might be going too far.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Frenkie De Jong on 09:50 - Mar 6 with 3333 viewsKieran_Knows

Frenkie De Jong on 09:47 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

I watch him every week either at the arena or on TV. Great player, calm on the ball, positioning is spot on, delivers in the big games. Great deal for Barca.

I was gutted when Sky lost the rights to show Eredivisie, watched it every weekend it was on.

Agree about De Ligt, a lot of Prem teams could do no worse than spending £70m+ on him. Special mention for Van De Beek as well, somewhat gets overshadowed by De Jong and De Ligt but he is some player too.

on 09:56 - Mar 6 with 3327 views_

Frenkie De Jong on 09:49 - Mar 6 by StokieBlue

Glenn Hoddle for Swindon against Ipswich circa 1992?

OK, that might be going too far.

SB

Frenkie De Jong on 09:57 - Mar 6 with 3328 viewssimmo1991

Frenkie De Jong on 09:50 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

I was gutted when Sky lost the rights to show Eredivisie, watched it every weekend it was on.

Agree about De Ligt, a lot of Prem teams could do no worse than spending £70m+ on him. Special mention for Van De Beek as well, somewhat gets overshadowed by De Jong and De Ligt but he is some player too.

Yeah Van de Beek is also very good. Ziyech doesn't get mentioned a lot outside of the NL but he is also a great player, killer left foot.

They have a great crop of players that will no doubt be off within 1-2 seasons. Re-harvest and start again....
Login to get fewer ads

Frenkie De Jong on 10:00 - Mar 6 with 3308 viewsKieran_Knows

Frenkie De Jong on 09:57 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

Yeah Van de Beek is also very good. Ziyech doesn't get mentioned a lot outside of the NL but he is also a great player, killer left foot.

They have a great crop of players that will no doubt be off within 1-2 seasons. Re-harvest and start again....

Ziyech is a very good player, surprised he's not moved to the Prem by now. This summer possibly?

Wasn't Neres subject to a £40m bid from a club in China this January? Indeed, can't knock the way Ajax go about their business. A tight title race this year too, think PSV might just nick it again though.

Frenkie De Jong on 10:01 - Mar 6 with 3310 viewsdavblue

Frenkie De Jong on 09:57 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

European football needs a good Ajax, they've been sleeping for a while, the churn of players slowed down and i think they had a bit of a departure from that certainly in the last 10 - 15 years.

Van Der Sar, Overmars, Bergkamp, all being involved has helped them get back to what they are good at but they obviously need the talent coming through.
on 10:04 - Mar 6 with 3299 views_

Frenkie De Jong on 10:01 - Mar 6 by davblue

European football needs a good Ajax, they've been sleeping for a while, the churn of players slowed down and i think they had a bit of a departure from that certainly in the last 10 - 15 years.

Van Der Sar, Overmars, Bergkamp, all being involved has helped them get back to what they are good at but they obviously need the talent coming through.

Frenkie De Jong on 10:15 - Mar 6 with 3263 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

on 10:04 - Mar 6 by _

I suspect that teams used to buy their stars once established and in their early 20's.

They are probably picked up aged 14 instead now.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Frenkie De Jong on 10:18 - Mar 6 with 3257 viewssimmo1991

Frenkie De Jong on 10:00 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

Ziyech is a very good player, surprised he's not moved to the Prem by now. This summer possibly?

Wasn't Neres subject to a £40m bid from a club in China this January? Indeed, can't knock the way Ajax go about their business. A tight title race this year too, think PSV might just nick it again though.

Yes I also think PSV will nick it, but they still have to play in the Arena so you never know and they have been struggling recently against the smaller teams.

Yeah but Neres should spend another season at Ajax, he only plays at the moment in CL when they play Tadic up front, otherwise they play Dolberg or Huntelaar then usually he's on the bench.

Could be a double or even treble for Ajax this season with the KNVB Beker, Eredivisie and CL. Doubt it.
Frenkie De Jong on 10:20 - Mar 6 with 3248 viewsKieran_Knows

Frenkie De Jong on 10:18 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

Yes I also think PSV will nick it, but they still have to play in the Arena so you never know and they have been struggling recently against the smaller teams.

Yeah but Neres should spend another season at Ajax, he only plays at the moment in CL when they play Tadic up front, otherwise they play Dolberg or Huntelaar then usually he's on the bench.

Could be a double or even treble for Ajax this season with the KNVB Beker, Eredivisie and CL. Doubt it.

Indeed, 3 draws on the bounce recently when they really should've took advantage of Ajax's poor form.

Still good to see Huntelaar going, scoring aplenty still as well!

Frenkie De Jong on 10:29 - Mar 6 with 3229 viewsKieran_Knows

Frenkie De Jong on 10:32 - Mar 6 with 3227 viewssimmo1991

Frenkie De Jong on 10:20 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

Indeed, 3 draws on the bounce recently when they really should've took advantage of Ajax's poor form.

Still good to see Huntelaar going, scoring aplenty still as well!

Yep! We will see. Huntelaar is still deadly in the Eredivisie. Great player.
Frenkie De Jong on 10:40 - Mar 6 with 3215 viewssimmo1991

Frenkie De Jong on 10:15 - Mar 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I suspect that teams used to buy their stars once established and in their early 20's.

They are probably picked up aged 14 instead now.

Absolutely -
Frenkie De Jong on 10:44 - Mar 6 with 3203 viewsTrueBlueLikeKevinBru

Frenkie De Jong on 09:47 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

De ligt,Hakim ziyech, Neres ,Dolberg etc they are all special.
Frenkie De Jong on 11:23 - Mar 6 with 3150 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Frenkie De Jong on 10:40 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

Absolutely -

My Dutch isnt what it was.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Frenkie De Jong on 12:15 - Mar 6 with 3079 viewsdavblue

on 10:04 - Mar 6 by _

it's certainly dried up in the last 10 - 15 years.

I might be wrong, but i don't recall too many over that period and they did look to buy players in more. I recall Cruyff bemoaning the fact that they had left their model behind.
on 12:39 - Mar 6 with 3049 views_

Frenkie De Jong on 12:15 - Mar 6 by davblue

it's certainly dried up in the last 10 - 15 years.

I might be wrong, but i don't recall too many over that period and they did look to buy players in more. I recall Cruyff bemoaning the fact that they had left their model behind.

Frenkie De Jong on 12:55 - Mar 6 with 3018 viewsTractorJack

In all seriousness, if I was a coach I would be forcing Downes and other youngsters in that position to watch as much De Jong as possible. His ability to break lines with both passing AND dribbling is probably the most sought after trait in football at the moment.
Frenkie De Jong on 13:14 - Mar 6 with 2972 viewsuefacup81

Frenkie De Jong on 10:32 - Mar 6 by simmo1991

Yep! We will see. Huntelaar is still deadly in the Eredivisie. Great player.

Definitely still got that Klaas to his play.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Frenkie De Jong on 13:34 - Mar 6 with 2942 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

on 12:39 - Mar 6 by _

A large number of those aren’t really academy products though - certainly not in the mould of the likes of de Jong

Ibrahimovic was signed aged 19 for several million
Lobont was 22, Maxwell 20, Pienaar 18, Trabelsi 24, Maduro 18, Huntelaar 23, Suarez 20, Cillesen 22, El Ghazi 18, Gudelj 24, Sanchez 20 and Wober 19

Even the likes of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Vermaelen, De Jong, Stekelenburg, Kishna and Bazoer were signed by Ajax from other clubs around the age of 16 - so an element of academy development but more a case of hoovering up the best players from the nearby smaller teams/countries than true academy development

That still leaves some notable successes, but there is a definitely a notable drop off after the likes of VDV, De Jong, Sneijder, Babel and Heitinga with only really Van Dee Wiel and Blind making much of an impression, until you get to the most recent crop

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Frenkie De Jong on 14:26 - Mar 6 with 2874 viewsdavblue

on 12:39 - Mar 6 by _

alot of those have been bought! Zlatan was.

Im talking top class, ones who have come through the academy
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024