Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health 07:32 - Jul 30 with 16428 viewssaxon

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/ipswich-town-academ
[Post edited 30 Jul 2019 7:41]
Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 17:44 - Jul 30 with 1368 viewslongtimefan

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 17:28 - Jul 30 by LeoMuff

Since when do medical professionals hold off on a scan until the parents ask for one ?? 6 months seems way too long.

I waited 18 months, in and out of physio with severe back pain before finally persuading the NHS I warranted an MRI. Once they agreed, the MRI appointment came within a couple of weeks and the results showed no amount of physio or Chiropractor sessions (which I paid for privately) would cure the problem. Fortunately, once the diagnosis was made, I was given appropriate treatment within a month and have been fine since.
Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 17:53 - Jul 30 with 1343 viewsLeoMuff

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 17:44 - Jul 30 by longtimefan

I waited 18 months, in and out of physio with severe back pain before finally persuading the NHS I warranted an MRI. Once they agreed, the MRI appointment came within a couple of weeks and the results showed no amount of physio or Chiropractor sessions (which I paid for privately) would cure the problem. Fortunately, once the diagnosis was made, I was given appropriate treatment within a month and have been fine since.

Every case is different but I’m pretty sure a 16 year old in the situation described would get an mri very quickly as it would be quite unusual presentation, but we don’t know all the facts.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 19:46 - Jul 30 with 1302 viewsRyorry

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 09:52 - Jul 30 by Bluefish

The same could be argued for all parts of the body and before you know it we are scanning all knocks, pulls and gripes. For what it is worth I agree with the point that every checks and care should have been there for his back but it needs to be assessment based and sadly they have got this one wrong. This doesn't however mean the medical staff must all be sacked and that the club is rotten etc etc.

This place gets very excited at the slightest opportunity to slam the club and the owner. Note the pages and pages of it when we had an offer for Judge and the comparative silence since

So what would you say about this part of the report then?

"The player, 16 at the time, subsequently underwent two epidurals. For the second, in February 2016, he was driven to Lister Hospital in London by an Ipswich member of staff, as agreed with his parents, but then left unsupervised to undergo a general anaesthetic. He was told to ring the driver to pick him up after the procedure.

The independent medical review says “a member of the medical team” or “a responsible adult” should have been present with him in the hospital." "

You really think ITFC's arrangements there to be an acceptable way of "looking after" a minor to whom the club had a duty of care? Do you think the club "looking after" a 16-year old like this will encourage the best kids & their parents to come to ITFC if they have a choice of academies? Any caring person/organisation would & should have felt a natural instinct to remain with & support a 16 year old in that situation.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2019 20:04]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 19:54 - Jul 30 with 1294 viewsGeoffSentence

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 14:05 - Jul 30 by SpruceMoose

Someone should invent a flat thing an injured player can lay on, which a couple of fellas can carry, to save the injured player from walking!

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 20:17 - Jul 30 with 1267 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 09:14 - Jul 30 by Bluefish

But you are suggesting for every knock straight away? The lad had a scan so surely it is the timing that you are questioning.

£700 a go for every knock will get extremely expensive and possibly not even be possible to have enough spaces locally to achieve. Some injuries are also better to scan later once the swelling settles. I've worked for multi billion turnover corporatea that will debate for hours on which budget paper to buy or whether to give an hours overtime to a minimum wage employee. This really isn't unusual both matter how much our fans like to try and make it. We are a business that is heavily in debt and loses money with little chance of sustained profit. Some sort of reality has to hit football at times. They obviously scan all players but have to take a call on everyone.

You really will stick up for Evans at absolutely every opportunity won’t you. Incredible.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 20:23 - Jul 30 with 1260 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 11:44 - Jul 30 by Bluefish

You could argue about every employee in the land and illnesses meaning that they have sick time. Employees being sick or injured is just part of business but you don't pay for your staff to being rushed back when they have a virus. Our club already has plenty of things that they do to ensure injuries are minimised, I expect the scan costs are already quite significant. It is funny how the fans think 1.75 is a massive amount of money but 700 is nothing

It’s like a Formula 1 team refusing to check an issue with a tyre despite the driver complaining of a problem because it costs £700.

Whether it’s a business or not, the physical fitness of the players is the fundamental importance to the business and £700 is a necessary expenditure. A random person getting given a £700 MRI scan straight away from their company is very different to a football club who rely on the players.

I refuse to believe you aren’t on a windup here. Because even you can’t defend Evans here.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 20:27 - Jul 30 with 1252 viewsSpruceMoose

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 20:23 - Jul 30 by The_Romford_Blue

It’s like a Formula 1 team refusing to check an issue with a tyre despite the driver complaining of a problem because it costs £700.

Whether it’s a business or not, the physical fitness of the players is the fundamental importance to the business and £700 is a necessary expenditure. A random person getting given a £700 MRI scan straight away from their company is very different to a football club who rely on the players.

I refuse to believe you aren’t on a windup here. Because even you can’t defend Evans here.

100% on a wind up. He's very good at it.

Anyone who has worked at even a medium sized company knows 700 quid is not a lot of money.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:12 - Jul 30 with 1229 viewsgordon

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 19:46 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

"The player, 16 at the time, subsequently underwent two epidurals. For the second, in February 2016, he was driven to Lister Hospital in London by an Ipswich member of staff, as agreed with his parents, but then left unsupervised to undergo a general anaesthetic. He was told to ring the driver to pick him up after the procedure.

The independent medical review says “a member of the medical team” or “a responsible adult” should have been present with him in the hospital." "

You really think ITFC's arrangements there to be an acceptable way of "looking after" a minor to whom the club had a duty of care? Do you think the club "looking after" a 16-year old like this will encourage the best kids & their parents to come to ITFC if they have a choice of academies? Any caring person/organisation would & should have felt a natural instinct to remain with & support a 16 year old in that situation.

Yep - one of the big considerations that talented academy players at our level must have when they get tapped up by big clubs offering big contracts is what would happen to their careers if they turn down the big contract, and then get a serious injury.

If they are seeing other boys in the academy not being given the best possible care, it must make the decision to leave a lot easier for them.
Login to get fewer ads

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:14 - Jul 30 with 1224 viewsBryanPlug

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 19:46 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:17 - Jul 30 with 1220 viewsgordon

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:14 - Jul 30 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

It's presumably referring to this Lister Hospital:
https://www.hcahealthcare.co.uk/facilities/the-lister-hospital
Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:46 - Jul 30 with 1200 viewsPlums

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:12 - Jul 30 by gordon

Yep - one of the big considerations that talented academy players at our level must have when they get tapped up by big clubs offering big contracts is what would happen to their careers if they turn down the big contract, and then get a serious injury.

If they are seeing other boys in the academy not being given the best possible care, it must make the decision to leave a lot easier for them.

There is also the moral issue that Brentford described that was part of the reason for closing their academy. i.e. that in every year, there are only a very small number who have a chance of a professional contract, they are there because the high achievers need someone to play football with. If you’re an also ran and get a long term injury, I suspect your chances of getting the best treatment available aren’t great. I’m not saying that’s the position at Town but an awful lot of kids fall by the wayside from the academy system with recoverable injuries.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 22:02 - Jul 30 with 1186 viewslongtimefan

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 20:27 - Jul 30 by SpruceMoose

100% on a wind up. He's very good at it.

Anyone who has worked at even a medium sized company knows 700 quid is not a lot of money.

I'm not sure I'd totally agree with you on that one. Large companies can be obsessed with saving a few pound here and there. I know from friends that work at a well known telecommunications company with a large base just outside Ipswich, that they'll be in line for a b0llocking if they buy train tickets for business travel to London that don't split the journey into Ips -> Manningtree and Manningtree -> London parts, because it saves a few pounds!
Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 23:56 - Jul 30 with 1154 viewsRyorry

Independent:Town accused of failing to support academy player’s mental health on 21:46 - Jul 30 by Plums

There is also the moral issue that Brentford described that was part of the reason for closing their academy. i.e. that in every year, there are only a very small number who have a chance of a professional contract, they are there because the high achievers need someone to play football with. If you’re an also ran and get a long term injury, I suspect your chances of getting the best treatment available aren’t great. I’m not saying that’s the position at Town but an awful lot of kids fall by the wayside from the academy system with recoverable injuries.

That's enlightening, wasn't aware, thanks.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024