Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n/t) 22:41 - Mar 15 with 14418 viewsdominiciawful

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:19 - Mar 16 with 3275 viewsWeWereZombies

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 07:16 - Mar 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah that was a horrible atmosphere. The Spurs players also kicked lumps out i he like if Arnie and Frans.

After the game a lot of the Spurs fans stopped over in Clacton on the way home and trashed a few pubs.

The Semi final at Highbury against WBA also springs to mind. After the game a large number of WBA fans came up the stairs to where our seated fans had watched the game and started kicking ten bells out of a few old boys.

Your closing paragraph is so different from my experience after the semi-final, walking back to the coach park chatting to West Brom supporters and us all agreeing it had been a fantastic game of football, shame anyone had to be on the losing side. When we got to the coaches they all wished us the best of luck for the final. And I have always found WBA fans to be a good bunch.

Same can be said for Forest supporters, especially when we start bonding over what a great player David Johnson mark II was. Also the Barnsley support was very gracious in defeat after the play-off final.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:20 - Mar 16 with 3278 viewsyesjohn99

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 07:21 - Mar 16 by TractorWood

That last game of the season in 1996 when we relegated Millwall last game of the season with a 0-0 draw. Millwall then decided to riot. I remember being 7 and seeing people kicking motorcycles and damaging cars in the car park behind the Cobbold.

Put me off going to football for about 3 years.

Scary until TS and his band of merry men turned up. Seemed to be the equaliser.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:20 - Mar 16 with 3280 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not an Ipswich Game.

I went to Stoke with United fans when I was about 16 , my mate is a big united fan. I can handle myself I believe in a tear up, but I basically got banged out by some absolute unit after being a little bit too chippy.

I learned a lesson that day, as hard as you think you are, there is always someone harder.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:46 - Mar 16 with 3229 viewsBluespeed225

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:20 - Mar 16 by yesjohn99

Scary until TS and his band of merry men turned up. Seemed to be the equaliser.

A couple of their locals I’ve spoken too admitted as much. That was TS waiting 18 years for payback.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:51 - Mar 16 with 3221 viewsBluespeed225

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 07:59 - Mar 16 by Lord_Lucan

It started inside and it was just a case of Spurs fans trying to kick down the NS dividing fence and gate, it was looking a bit dodgy that it would hold and a few Ipswich also started booting it and I was thinking WTF!!!!!!!!!

Outside was a nightmare. Also Spurs again about two years later at home - first game of the season from memory.

1983. Me and a couple of mates got caught up in a bit down the alley at the side of what was “little Boots’ at the time, opposite McDonald’s. A ‘Well known face’ disappeared into the side entrance of said Boots. This was about 11.30 am! Spurs had more about them than West Ham etc I always though.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:00 - Mar 16 with 3192 viewsBluespeed225

Aston Villa away, October 81. After the previous season, what with them trying to come in the Holte End during the Cup Semi Final, and getting slung out( they got in , gates open 2nd half, up the stairwell, and then were swamped by a load of blokes who seemed to all be in double denim from memory!) we went for the following season away game, and beat them again. Gates opens at the end, in they come, me and mate are trying to climb over fence onto the pitch, Police batter us back into the melee, I’m on the deck, there’s a Police horse running around the terrace. Rocks coming onto us on way back to coaches, then while on the road, didn’t seem to stop when we reached about Northampton!
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:52 - Mar 16 with 3150 viewsChateauWines

Ridiculous fixture for me. Millwall? No. Wet Spam? No.
Frigging walsall away on a tuesday night in 2004. The game Darren Bent got a hatrick. I'd Just bought myself my first Jag, it was its first away trip. Me, Fordy and Colchester Blue 1985. Got there quite early, blagged a spot in officials car park. After the game get in car, as you can imagine quite busy with disgruntled home fans in car park. Some bloke rests his hands on my bonnet. No big deal really, but it was the Jag and didnt want some northerners dirty hand prints all over it. I sound horn, he says something and I get out push him off car. No major drama at this point. As we start edging out of very busy car park, Colchester Blue decides to open window and hurl abuse at walsall fans making it very clear we are Ipswich. Within seconds, it's like a scene from Black Hawk Down. I see people with bricks and metal pole preparing to attack car. Floor it and go wrong way down exit road onto motorway. Fordy who is not someone i ever see harassed even looked a little concerned.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:58 - Mar 16 with 3139 viewsLord_Lucan

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:51 - Mar 16 by Bluespeed225

1983. Me and a couple of mates got caught up in a bit down the alley at the side of what was “little Boots’ at the time, opposite McDonald’s. A ‘Well known face’ disappeared into the side entrance of said Boots. This was about 11.30 am! Spurs had more about them than West Ham etc I always though.

West Ham for some reason never really played up that much here and generally took one section of NS rather than two - I don't know why. Maybe we were simply of little concern for them.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:59 - Mar 16 with 3134 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

When I have sat upper Bobby, and one of the Town players is lining up a shot, I have felt concerned for my safety.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:14 - Mar 16 with 3109 viewsColchesterBlue1985

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:52 - Mar 16 by ChateauWines

Ridiculous fixture for me. Millwall? No. Wet Spam? No.
Frigging walsall away on a tuesday night in 2004. The game Darren Bent got a hatrick. I'd Just bought myself my first Jag, it was its first away trip. Me, Fordy and Colchester Blue 1985. Got there quite early, blagged a spot in officials car park. After the game get in car, as you can imagine quite busy with disgruntled home fans in car park. Some bloke rests his hands on my bonnet. No big deal really, but it was the Jag and didnt want some northerners dirty hand prints all over it. I sound horn, he says something and I get out push him off car. No major drama at this point. As we start edging out of very busy car park, Colchester Blue decides to open window and hurl abuse at walsall fans making it very clear we are Ipswich. Within seconds, it's like a scene from Black Hawk Down. I see people with bricks and metal pole preparing to attack car. Floor it and go wrong way down exit road onto motorway. Fordy who is not someone i ever see harassed even looked a little concerned.

Haha TWTD
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:18 - Mar 16 with 3108 viewsbluefunk

I can’t pick between

away v Stoke FACup 1970, police marched us from the station and left us queuing for the turnstiles between metal barriers only for about 200 Stokies to turn up and batter anyone and everyone they could reach - I was 14 and fortunate to be behind the barrier

Leeds away1972, a gain the police made us go into the ground from the coach, which meant a little group of us, now 16/17 were very conspicuous, leading to a large group of Leeds fans attacking us while aforementioned police stood watching

WBA away 1969 or 1970, again in the ground early, and a very large group of fans advanced on us only to turn out to be Town fans, swiftly followed by an even larger group of home fans. They rushed us and were beaten back by some pretty vicious fighting,

It’s no wonder my Mum used to worry....
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:20 - Mar 16 with 3095 viewsHerbivore

Football violence is so weird. I just don't get it.

Poll: Latest TWTD opinion poll - who are you voting for?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:21 - Mar 16 with 3100 viewscarlisleaway

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:59 - Mar 16 by TheTrueBlue1878

When I have sat upper Bobby, and one of the Town players is lining up a shot, I have felt concerned for my safety.

Millwall 1978 in the FA Cup obviously

Stoke away in the early 70s, 4 of us were given complimentary tickets to sit in a stand next to the standing home support. No problem you would think watching a boring game until Ipswich score the winner in the last few minutes, obviously you stand up and cheer....wrong thing to do. On exiting the ground we were met by a Stoke mob led by this evil women, being kicked and punches thrown the police did not want to get involved but pointed out the nearest police station. Also spoilt by getting a speeding ticket on way home.
Wolves away on more than one occasion
Tottenham on exiting the corner after Yallop and Buenchev had scored 2 goals, met by the Spurs mob.
Any home game in the 70s in the North against London clubs
Many many more, but looking back they were exiting times for the club and fans.
Ipswich here, Ipswich there.......
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:27 - Mar 16 with 3089 viewsChateauWines

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:14 - Mar 16 by ColchesterBlue1985

Haha TWTD

Just come up on ITFC page.. it happened this very day 16 years ago. Massive coincidence

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:46 - Mar 16 with 3067 viewsPJH

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 08:07 - Mar 16 by PJH

At Villa Park in 1981 the night we won 2-1 and put ourselves very much back in the title race.

Just before the end of the game a load of their supporters came in to our end, it was a bit scary going back to the coaches afterwards too and I got separated from my mate.I was not personally involved in any violence but it certainly was concerning.

I was at Millwall in 1978 but I was in the end away from most of the trouble. Just had to keep quiet during and after the match and look as miserable as possible.

The day at Leeds that they virtually got relegated worth a mention too and just remembered a Dutch bloke in a log leather coat and a dagger in his hand at Twente Enschede in 1973.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 11:28 - Mar 16 with 3036 viewsWeWereZombies

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 09:58 - Mar 16 by Lord_Lucan

West Ham for some reason never really played up that much here and generally took one section of NS rather than two - I don't know why. Maybe we were simply of little concern for them.

I guess you went from the pub to the ground and then back to the pub, my memory of West Ham support in the late sixties and through the seventies is that they would trash the town centre before the game and then again afterwards.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:19 - Mar 16 with 2987 viewsmonty_radio

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 11:28 - Mar 16 by WeWereZombies

I guess you went from the pub to the ground and then back to the pub, my memory of West Ham support in the late sixties and through the seventies is that they would trash the town centre before the game and then again afterwards.

I remember walking up Lloyds Ave after a West Ham game. There used to be a building society or somesuch opposite the old Odeon / Mecca that had a concave window which 2 or 3 of their fans were attempting to boot in but found the glass seemed to flex at their efforts. Disgruntled, they shambled away up towards Tower Ramparts (Electric House, as it was always called back then).
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 17:06]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:55 - Mar 16 with 2950 viewsMaySixth

Great thread

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:59 - Mar 16 with 2954 viewsBluespeed225

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 06:48 - Mar 16 by WeWereZombies

It wasn't really unsafe but when you are twelve years old and you and your friend have got to the ground way too early you don't expect to be surrounded by thousands of QPR fans.

We were in an almost empty Portman Road just after two o'clock and down at the corner close to the tunnel where Churchmans and the old West Stand met. Just chatting and probably did not notice them arriving, they may even have spotted us and thought they could have a laugh. Anyway, about a thousand arrived from the other end of Churchmans and a few hundred came along the West Stand, all chanting towards the other group, to converge at the exact spot we were standing at. We wormed our way out along the wall a fair bit spooked.

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2017/04/day-1968-dramatic-2-2-draw-ipswich/

There have been other, scarier, times but always with an element of safety in numbers.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 7:00]

From that link, ‘the trains to Ipswich are frequent and the journey takes 1 hour 10 minutes’. TWTD!
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:10 - Mar 16 with 2963 viewsjontysnut

Everton FA Cup 1980 after the game waiting for buses back to the station.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:38 - Mar 16 with 2909 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 10:20 - Mar 16 by Herbivore

Football violence is so weird. I just don't get it.

It doesn't exist anymore, which is probably for the best.

But my old man tells me regularly about how much he loved it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:42 - Mar 16 with 2900 viewsfloridablue

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 12:19 - Mar 16 by monty_radio

I remember walking up Lloyds Ave after a West Ham game. There used to be a building society or somesuch opposite the old Odeon / Mecca that had a concave window which 2 or 3 of their fans were attempting to boot in but found the glass seemed to flex at their efforts. Disgruntled, they shambled away up towards Tower Ramparts (Electric House, as it was always called back then).
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 17:06]

Pretty certain that was the 68/69 season when a large 'mob' of them went on the rampage after the game. I remember they went as far as the Mulberry tree pub on Woodbridge Rd as they smashed windows in the Halberd pub and an antique shop nearby. Next season a young West Ham fan was stabbed in the North Stand and 2 more later that night at the Baths Hall night club.
What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 14:17 - Mar 16 with 2847 viewsHerbivore

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:38 - Mar 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

I find it fascinating but also genuinely mental. Wanting to punch someone in the head because they support a different football team is just so bizarre.

Poll: Latest TWTD opinion poll - who are you voting for?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 14:32 - Mar 16 with 2819 viewsITFC_Forever

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 13:38 - Mar 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

Yes it does.

Largely contained and isolated, but it can still occur if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time etc.

P 1129, W 502, D 290, L 337, F 1713, A 1365
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 22:50 - Mar 16 with 2667 viewscooper442

What is the most concerned for your safety that you have felt at a Town game? (n on 22:44 - Mar 15 by clive_baker

A number of occasions this season I’ve been pretty close to dying of boredom.

Being chased in the dark by a pack of at least 20 Birmingham city fans over waste ground after a fa cup win at st Andrews in 1982, was absolutely terrifying..and I still remember the fear like it was yesterday.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024