Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highest death toll in Europe and rising 12:48 - May 5 with 5862 viewsElderGrizzly

32,000 and still Johnson’s Government says this is a success?!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/uk-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-ab

Criminally negligent would be a good place to start
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:45 - May 5 with 720 viewsTractorWood

Massively paying the price for the hand-washing and herd immunity stage when we should have been locking down.

Basically from the 4th-19th March. 2 weeks of inaction that has cost thousands of lives.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:57 - May 5 with 701 viewsBlueBadger

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:12 - May 5 by NotSure

Well we certainly lead at correctly reporting our Covid-19 deaths.
China, Iran, Russia, India, the whole of Africa ... absolutely hopeless!

'But all the other boys are doing' is an excuse that doesn't work when you've been caught nicking 50ps from your mums purse, let alone in reporting untimely deaths

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:58 - May 5 with 693 viewsnoggin

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:08 - May 5 by The_Last_Baron

Wishful thinking Sir. 51% in the polls and rising.

You sound proud of that.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:59 - May 5 with 691 viewsnoggin

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:12 - May 5 by NotSure

Well we certainly lead at correctly reporting our Covid-19 deaths.
China, Iran, Russia, India, the whole of Africa ... absolutely hopeless!

How do you know this?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:00 - May 5 with 690 viewsBlueBadger

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:59 - May 5 by noggin

How do you know this?

He's knows it because his mates who keep coming round to visit told him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:03 - May 5 with 675 viewsNotSure

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:59 - May 5 by noggin

How do you know this?

Well of course I don't. Very hard to prove a negative.
And corrupt countries know this, hence they hide the true figures.

But you go on thinking that the UK has had 11% of all worldwide Covid-19 deaths. Just because you hate the Tories.
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:06 - May 5 with 679 viewsBlueBadger

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:58 - May 5 by noggin

You sound proud of that.

It IS weird isn't it, how 'winning' is much, much more important to these headbangers than huge numbers of preventable deaths through incompetence and dithering, a crashed economy further held back by a hard Brexit and massive, systematic undermining of public services over a decade of ideology driven austerity policies which have contributed to our poor response to this.
[Post edited 7 May 2020 20:30]

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:10 - May 5 with 655 viewsNotSure

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:45 - May 5 by TractorWood

Massively paying the price for the hand-washing and herd immunity stage when we should have been locking down.

Basically from the 4th-19th March. 2 weeks of inaction that has cost thousands of lives.

How do you know it has cost thousands of lives.
Strangely, noggin doesn't want you to clarify this, so I thought I would.
Login to get fewer ads

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:13 - May 5 with 641 viewsfooters

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:10 - May 5 by NotSure

Your stamina on this subject is impressive. Your analysis less so.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:20 - May 5 with 641 viewsBlueBadger

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:10 - May 5 by NotSure

Well, the official figures are quite a good start...

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:23 - May 5 with 632 viewsSwansea_Blue

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:03 - May 5 by NotSure

But you go on thinking that the UK has had 11% of all worldwide Covid-19 deaths. Just because you hate the Tories.

It's fairly obvious there will be errors in the reporting in countries for a whole host of reasons, both unintentional and I suspect intentional too. Don't forget that we were misreporting figures earlier on and only seemed to become more transparent after a good deal of scrutiny. We bullsh*tted incesently about those test targets/figures too less than a week ago too.

I don't see how anyone can defend our death numbers though. It's a little bit culty in places (not aimed at you). I'd have thought it's possible to be a Tory fan and still acknowledge they've overseen some of the worse stats in the world on this. In the same way we can be Ipswich fns and think Lambert is a little bit sh*t at managing us. It's a level of unquestioning adoration that I simply don't understand.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:25 - May 5 with 624 viewsnoggin

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:03 - May 5 by NotSure

So you don't know... Glad we cleared that up.

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:29 - May 5 with 623 viewsNotSure

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:20 - May 5 by BlueBadger

Well, the official figures are quite a good start...

No, you see you don't know either.
This is the internet, we can all pretend we are experts but in reality we are just skim reading Wikipedia!
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:30 - May 5 with 617 viewsnoggin

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 15:29 - May 5 by NotSure

No, you see you don't know either.
This is the internet, we can all pretend we are experts but in reality we are just skim reading Wikipedia!

Are the official figures on Wikipedia then?

It's shocking..... on 15:53 - May 5 with 598 viewsBloots

….that our media are allowed to publish inflammatory headlines like this.

It's common knowledge that countries are reporting figures differently, noticeably France (that only include direct C19 deaths, not deaths where C19 was "mentioned" on the death cert, like we do) and Italy (who only include hospital deaths, not care settings/community, like we do)

It's also disappointing to see people gleefully sharing it and commenting on it.

It's not a f*cking competition, it's people's lives.

Thankfully there are a few more sensible posters here who know this.

People should follow the trends, not the numbers and try not to turn into the very "sensationalist" people that they complain about the majority of the rest of the time.

Lambert out.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:01 - May 5 with 568 viewsBluefish

Comparing countries is pretty pointless though, surely there are huge differences with population density and also it apparently affects difference groups of people in different ways.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:07 - May 5 with 570 viewsFtnfwest

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:01 - May 5 by Bluefish

Comparing countries is pretty pointless though, surely there are huge differences with population density and also it apparently affects difference groups of people in different ways.

In terms of density England is twice Italy, three times France and nearly 5 times Spain
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:33 - May 5 with 543 viewsSwansea_Blue

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:01 - May 5 by Bluefish

Not pointless, as they're the measure of what's happening. But you need an understanding of the story behind the numbers. Which to be fair is what a lot of people have been saying on here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:34 - May 5 with 541 viewsMullet

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 13:44 - May 5 by GaryCooper

The government and NHS policy of clearing the hospitals of all but critical care patients, sending the elderly back to their care homes without any Covid-19 testing is criminally negligent. All those deaths lay at the door of the NHS and government.

I agree with the sentiment but there has to be some pragmatism, as the hard right are digging in more and more and ranting about China and the like it seems.

We need a diligent picking apart of what happened, what was reasonable and what was preventable to show real negligence. As much as I despise Johnson and his brand of throwback cavalier populism, I'd rather see success and a limit on that blood foremost.

Those who vote Tory and clap in the face of facts will not be turned by simply pointing out the flaws in their selfishness. Brexit was the dry run for that. These are unprecedented times, and it seems obvious we've done as badly as anyone, but making it a competition is what fuels this desire to whitewash any and all failure.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

No, it is pointless to compare..... on 16:41 - May 5 with 534 viewsBloots

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:33 - May 5 by Swansea_Blue

Not pointless, as they're the measure of what's happening. But you need an understanding of the story behind the numbers. Which to be fair is what a lot of people have been saying on here.

….it's not pointless to publish the figures because, as you say, they give a measure of what's happening.

Comparing countries that are recording data in massively different ways is totally pointless when there are people around that jump on headlines like the one in the OP.

It's remarkable that the people clamouring for the UK to present figures that include deaths in all settings are now complaining that our figures are higher than countries that don't do that very thing.

People are dying in their thousands all over the world yet some divs are treating it like a football league table.

It's p*ssing me off

Lambert out.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:47 - May 5 with 526 viewsChe

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 13:49 - May 5 by Churchman

Spain’s don’t either. The US only counts deaths if the direct cause is Coronavirus, as opposed to the UK where it’s included in the stats if it appears on the death certificate or is suspected. In South America, there is such a stigma attached to C-19, that people who die from it are just not counted.

However, regardless of all that, the numbers in the UK are a disgrace. This country had notice of what was coming, unlike Italy, and basically did nothing. Everything from timing of lockdown (not the gift of hindsight - just a bad decision. See Portugal or NZ for the correct decision), lack of testing (a country this size should have had far better than zero capacity), PPE - any single death caused by a staff member having inadequate protection is totally unacceptable let alone the numbers that have clearly died. Confusion from ‘herd immunity’ nonsense to the idiocy of not testing people when they enter this country.

I would add propping up a couple of scientists to take the flak isn’t very subtle either. If the clowns think they will get away with that when they’re held to account, they can think again.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 13:53]

And the source of your information is?
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 16:59 - May 5 with 507 viewsBluesquid

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 13:49 - May 5 by Churchman

Spain’s don’t either. The US only counts deaths if the direct cause is Coronavirus, as opposed to the UK where it’s included in the stats if it appears on the death certificate or is suspected. In South America, there is such a stigma attached to C-19, that people who die from it are just not counted.

However, regardless of all that, the numbers in the UK are a disgrace. This country had notice of what was coming, unlike Italy, and basically did nothing. Everything from timing of lockdown (not the gift of hindsight - just a bad decision. See Portugal or NZ for the correct decision), lack of testing (a country this size should have had far better than zero capacity), PPE - any single death caused by a staff member having inadequate protection is totally unacceptable let alone the numbers that have clearly died. Confusion from ‘herd immunity’ nonsense to the idiocy of not testing people when they enter this country.

I would add propping up a couple of scientists to take the flak isn’t very subtle either. If the clowns think they will get away with that when they’re held to account, they can think again.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 13:53]

"The US only counts deaths if the direct cause is Coronavirus"

Well it might vary from State to State but it certainly does not seem the case in Illinois.

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 17:01 - May 5 with 505 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A fairer analysis would be excess deaths then wouldn't it?

The FT has some data here. You need to look at the graphs a little way down and pay attention to the percentage figure. Suggests we are not the worst but certainly don't compare well:

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c

Not certain the rational behind the chosen countries. It also talks of 13 countries but only presents graphs for 11.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 17:06 - May 5 with 718 viewsGaryCooper

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:45 - May 5 by TractorWood

The only lockdown that would have had any chance of success would have been a full three week lockdown, one weeks notice, no shops, no leaving the boundary of the property, care home workers and patient facing NHS complete isolation.

This may have worked, what we have endured is in reality window dressing in comparison, window dressing that will nurture serious long term difficulties of all manner.
Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 17:10 - May 5 with 707 viewsGaryCooper

Highest death toll in Europe and rising on 14:30 - May 5 by Pendejo

The masses are clapping for those working to keep us in health aren't they? NHS, shop workers, bus drivers, bin men Etc Etc Etc

Or is it wrong to give thanks to them?

No-one is out there on a Thursday night clapping the PM or a Tory government. Are they?

The NHS as an entity has been complicit in thousands of deaths due to the policy of clearing hospitals.

Patient facing NHS staff are of course at different matter, the virtue signalling clapping, saucepan banging and fireworks are propaganda akin to scraping aluminium saucepans in 1940 to make Spitfires.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024