Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? 19:07 - Aug 17 with 2485 viewsBlueBadger

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:15 - Aug 17 with 2442 viewsOldsmoker

The jury is still out for me.
The Thatcher govt. was the most anti-me I have ever known.
What does Smoker and his friends like? Then close it down, ban it or tax it said Thatcher.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:23 - Aug 17 with 2418 viewspointofblue

Major’s from 1992? Though I suppose they were more corrupt than incompetent.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:49 - Aug 17 with 2372 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:15 - Aug 17 by Oldsmoker

What does Smoker and his friends like? Then close it down, ban it or tax it said Thatcher.

What Thatcher had was conviction. She wanted to screw over a large part of the country, and by god she made sure she did so. That lady wasn't for turning. This lot don't even have that 'quality'. They're the worst by a country mile. Led by a lazy feckless buffon, and followed by a bunch of talentless sycophants. It's no wonder everything they touch turns to poop.

But Corbyn, or something (as this thread will inevitably flip to that point).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:55 - Aug 17 with 2358 viewspointofblue

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:49 - Aug 17 by Swansea_Blue

What Thatcher had was conviction. She wanted to screw over a large part of the country, and by god she made sure she did so. That lady wasn't for turning. This lot don't even have that 'quality'. They're the worst by a country mile. Led by a lazy feckless buffon, and followed by a bunch of talentless sycophants. It's no wonder everything they touch turns to poop.

2019: Did the U.K. have the most incompetent opposition in living memory?

(Runs for cover)

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:55 - Aug 17 with 2360 viewsClapham_Junction

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:15 - Aug 17 by Oldsmoker

As Swansea says, I don't think this was incompetence, it was deliberate.

I would have this government down as the most incompetent, but they've still got some way to go to equal the civic vandalism of the Thatcher, Major or Cameron years (I suppose Brexit gives them the chance to outshine their predecessors though, and they're making a strong start with their plans for the planning system).

The worst thing about this is that their supporters don't care what damage they do. They're at over 40% in the polls. We might have finally become America.
Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:58 - Aug 17 with 2338 viewsDarth_Koont

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:55 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

(Runs for cover)

Certainly didn't. They finally had an opposition that was addressing real issues. Remains to be seen if the current opposition is anything other than pageantry.

There are projected to be 5.2 million children living in .... oh who cares.

Pronouns: He/Him

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:04 - Aug 17 with 2323 viewsShawsey

Same as with Lambert. They are here for a while, so get use to it. Sorry, but that is the truth and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry again for being so blunt.
Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:07 - Aug 17 with 2312 viewsDarth_Koont

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:55 - Aug 17 by Clapham_Junction

As Swansea says, I don't think this was incompetence, it was deliberate.

I would have this government down as the most incompetent, but they've still got some way to go to equal the civic vandalism of the Thatcher, Major or Cameron years (I suppose Brexit gives them the chance to outshine their predecessors though, and they're making a strong start with their plans for the planning system).

The worst thing about this is that their supporters don't care what damage they do. They're at over 40% in the polls. We might have finally become America.

I make you right.

Never mind the extreme ideology of Thatcher, I don't think our politics have ever been as detached from the real world and so invested in the performative stuff as they are now.

I don't think Boris and Cummings are fascists. But their disregard for people and human values beyond the political bubble is frankly terrifying.

Login to get fewer ads

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:07 - Aug 17 with 2311 viewspointofblue

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:58 - Aug 17 by Darth_Koont

Certainly didn't. They finally had an opposition that was addressing real issues. Remains to be seen if the current opposition is anything other than pageantry.

There are projected to be 5.2 million children living in .... oh who cares.

Just to hasten to add I was being facetious because Swansea_Blue said someone would make it about Corbyn - nothing more than that.

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:08 - Aug 17 with 2310 viewsWD19

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:55 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

(Runs for cover)

The opposition around that time was extremely effective.....

....at facilitating Brexit and a Boris Johnson government.
Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:10 - Aug 17 with 2298 viewsDarth_Koont

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:07 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Just to hasten to add I was being facetious because Swansea_Blue said someone would make it about Corbyn - nothing more than that.

No harm no foul.

I know you're on the right side of the discussion.

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 20:49 - Aug 17 with 2223 viewsOldsmoker

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 19:49 - Aug 17 by Swansea_Blue

Thatcher messed up my life and my friends too as they got made redundant.
They had families and couldn't uproot and move like I did as a singleton.
I moved 200 miles away from the roots I'd put down in Sheffield.
As I said she was anti-me.
Johnsons lot are bad for the whole country (Brexit, don't like minorities / working class etc) but they kept the triple lock on pensions which benefits me. When Brexit bites, standards will slip and prices will go up and the only ones who will be insulated will be those who work and have a house where their mortgage is small and I'm not one of those.
The incompetence started with Camoron and continued with May and Johnsons lot will take it to a new level. That's why I still think the jury's out because of Camoron and May deliberately doing nothing for the poor and vunerable. Camoron (referendum), Osborn (Austerity), Ian Duncan Smith (UC), May (strong and stable), Grayling (Probation) and Johnson (Foreign sec) didn't happen under Johnson.
The people who suffer don't vote for the Tories anyway and if the Tory voters are insulated from the pain and continue to lack empathy for others then Johnson gets a free ride to screw up whatever he wants.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 21:47 - Aug 17 with 2156 viewsfactual_blue

You could have replaced the last three words with 'ever', and the answer would still be a resounding 'yes'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 21:51 - Aug 17 with 2146 viewsHerbivore

You should have added a trigger warning for [Redacted].

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 00:04 - Aug 18 with 2072 viewsRyorry

Staggered that 5 people (at time of writing) have actually voted 'no'.

I became politically conscious in my teens during the 1960s, and this is the most incompetent Govt. of any colour I can remember.

This was brought home by listening to 'The Reunion', a prog on R4 couple of days ago about Black Wednesday. Lor knows they were an incompetent shower, as were Heath's (3-day-week) and Callaghan's (Winter of Discontent) - but shocking to realise that the names involved - Thatcher, Lawson, Major, Hurd etc - seem like figures of towering intellect and competence compared with Johnson, Grayling, Gove, Rab, Patel, Hancock etc!

Thatcher was a horrendous politician who I loathed, but at least she had a good brain & competence - unfortunately she used those qualities for some unconscionable acts.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 08:33 - Aug 18 with 1959 viewsGuthrum

In terms of being shambolic/c0ck-ups, then this lot are a fair way ahead. Also on the defections/open rebellion count (last autumn's pantomime).

For scandals, the last days of Major may still rival them.

On effectiveness, the ability to put forward and pass policies, the current administration might still rank higher than May's lot. The latter only had one real issue and couldn't get any of it across the line. At least some of the economic and financial support response to Covid-19 was effective and reasonably timely.

When talking about overall competence, I wouldn't say Eden's or Cameron's single major disasters (Suez, the Brexit vote) can really compare. Churchill was very unwell during his second spell as PM, but had decent people around him and was operating in benign times.

But even the most generous assessment doesn't lift Johnson's administration very far off the bottom of the table.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 08:54 - Aug 18 with 1920 viewsGuthrum

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 00:04 - Aug 18 by Ryorry

Staggered that 5 people (at time of writing) have actually voted 'no'.

I became politically conscious in my teens during the 1960s, and this is the most incompetent Govt. of any colour I can remember.

This was brought home by listening to 'The Reunion', a prog on R4 couple of days ago about Black Wednesday. Lor knows they were an incompetent shower, as were Heath's (3-day-week) and Callaghan's (Winter of Discontent) - but shocking to realise that the names involved - Thatcher, Lawson, Major, Hurd etc - seem like figures of towering intellect and competence compared with Johnson, Grayling, Gove, Rab, Patel, Hancock etc!

Thatcher was a horrendous politician who I loathed, but at least she had a good brain & competence - unfortunately she used those qualities for some unconscionable acts.

Callaghan wasn't particularly incompetent, he was left holding the baby by Wilson - trying to deal with a pretty impossible situation, caught between economic meltdown, ideological strife and rampant union power-grabbing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 09:01 - Aug 18 with 1905 viewsKeno

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 08:54 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

Callaghan wasn't particularly incompetent, he was left holding the baby by Wilson - trying to deal with a pretty impossible situation, caught between economic meltdown, ideological strife and rampant union power-grabbing.

Eden and Suez is a good shout

Boris and Frank Spencer Williamson are probably edging it tho

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Does the UK have the most incompetent government in living memory? on 11:19 - Aug 18 with 1852 viewsTractorWood

Thatcher also massively opposed the reunification of Germany for essentially no reason.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024