Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder 13:54 - Dec 8 with 2381 viewsGlasgowBlue

Your favourite Lennon solo track.

I’ve always had a soft spot for this cover of Stand By Me. Adds a bit of bite to the original.

[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 13:55]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:32 - Dec 8 with 627 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:27 - Dec 8 by Radlett_blue

There's No-one Quite Like Grandma?
Yuk!

Wasn't the Christmas No 1.

Iron Lion Zion

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:36 - Dec 8 with 628 viewsSwansea_Blue

I remember walking up the lane to Britannia Primary and hearing some of the mums and other kids saying John Lennon had been shot. Remember it like it was yesterday for some reason. Can't remember where I've put me specs though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:39 - Dec 8 with 624 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

Surprised nobody's plumped for this one yet...great little ditty...

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:42 - Dec 8 with 617 viewsbluelagos

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:32 - Dec 8 by GlasgowBlue

Wasn't the Christmas No 1.

Fancy a wager :-)

https://www.number-ones.co.uk/1980-number-ones.html

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:44 - Dec 8 with 616 viewsbluelagos

Imagine didn't knock the Christmas number one off it's spot. Lennon's Starting Over was the 1980 Christmas No 1. St Winifred then knocked that off just before New Year, which was in turn knocked off by Lennon with Imagine early in 1981.

Your memory is out by a week Glassers. Was no 1 for 2 weeks.

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:45 - Dec 8 with 614 viewsPendejo

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:36 - Dec 8 by Swansea_Blue

I remember walking up the lane to Britannia Primary and hearing some of the mums and other kids saying John Lennon had been shot. Remember it like it was yesterday for some reason. Can't remember where I've put me specs though.

We played Liverpool at home not long after and I can remember "I wanna hold your hand" being played and lots of over the head hand shakes being performed in the North Stand....

Then someone opened the middle pen to home and away supporters at the same time...
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 16:46]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:46 - Dec 8 with 606 viewsSwansea_Blue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:45 - Dec 8 by Pendejo

We played Liverpool at home not long after and I can remember "I wanna hold your hand" being played and lots of over the head hand shakes being performed in the North Stand....

Then someone opened the middle pen to home and away supporters at the same time...

Wow. And that would have been a big thing at that time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:52 - Dec 8 with 602 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:42 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

Fancy a wager :-)

Wiki has No One Like Grandma getting to No 1 on 27/12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1980s

Very strange. I knew Imagine didn't get to No 1 until January 1981 so checked this after your post.

edit. Week ending 27/12. So you win I lose.

[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 16:53]

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:52 - Dec 8 with 600 viewsDennyx4

Imagine didn't knock the Christmas number one off it's spot. Lennon's Starting Over was the 1980 Christmas No 1. St Winifred then knocked that off just before New Year, which was in turn knocked off by Lennon with Imagine early in 1981.

You have the right order, however it was St Winifreds School Choir that was the Christmas number one.

Some books show the date for the end of the week, rather than the start. But it was definitely St Winifreds Schoold Choir at number one for Christmas 1980.

Actually sandwiched by three John Lennon tracks with Woman replacing Imagine later in January 1981.
On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:58 - Dec 8 with 593 viewsbluelagos

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:52 - Dec 8 by GlasgowBlue

Very strange. I knew Imagine didn't get to No 1 until January 1981 so checked this after your post.

My memory was completely false, I thought he had the top 4 positions at once. Hence I looked it up.

When I check he did have the top 2 when Woman knocked Imagine off - and I think he had 4 in the top 40 maybe?

Tbf to us both - it was 40 years ago!

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:05 - Dec 8 with 585 viewsbluelagos

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:52 - Dec 8 by Dennyx4

You have the right order, however it was St Winifreds School Choir that was the Christmas number one.

Some books show the date for the end of the week, rather than the start. But it was definitely St Winifreds Schoold Choir at number one for Christmas 1980.

Actually sandwiched by three John Lennon tracks with Woman replacing Imagine later in January 1981.

"Shaddap you face" knocked "Woman" off the top spot . Jeez.

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:06 - Dec 8 with 584 viewsDennyx4

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:05 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

"Shaddap you face" knocked "Woman" off the top spot . Jeez.

And famously kept Ultravox - Vienna off the top spot too.
On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:09 - Dec 8 with 579 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:58 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

My memory was completely false, I thought he had the top 4 positions at once. Hence I looked it up.

When I check he did have the top 2 when Woman knocked Imagine off - and I think he had 4 in the top 40 maybe?

Tbf to us both - it was 40 years ago!

And you can add Roxy Music's version of Jealous Guy into the mix.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 17:10]

Iron Lion Zion

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:09 - Dec 8 with 577 viewsbluelagos

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:06 - Dec 8 by Dennyx4

I bought that Album. Had a blue cover - that's about all I remember.

Given I was 11, that's quite good for a youngun I reckon.

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:09 - Dec 8 with 576 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:06 - Dec 8 by Dennyx4

It means nothing to me.

Iron Lion Zion

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:10 - Dec 8 with 574 viewsEJP

God. Having been brought up in a religious household it resonated with me as he deconstructed his beliefs.

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:11 - Dec 8 with 568 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:09 - Dec 8 by bluelagos

Vienna was white. Are you thinking about Rage In Eden?

Iron Lion Zion

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:13 - Dec 8 with 565 viewsDennyx4

Similar age to me - that's a cracking record for an 11 year old.

On a side note, this week has a Christmas single battle for the top spot from two old Christmas songs that did not make number one when first released.

Wham - Last Christmas V Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas, with one of them expected to get a belated number one.

They have changed how the charts are determined now, with streaming helping the Christmas songs.
On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:17 - Dec 8 with 562 viewsbluelagos

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:11 - Dec 8 by GlasgowBlue

Vienna was white. Are you thinking about Rage In Eden?

Sadly - I am well out - am thinking of "The collection" - their greatest hits LP.

So - I was not in fact a cool 11 year old. Album was blue though so got that right!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333479970325?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkr

Edit: 1984 - so a cool 14 year old, maybe.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 17:20]

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:58 - Dec 8 with 545 viewsRadlett_blue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:52 - Dec 8 by GlasgowBlue

I had a substantial bet with a mate that "Only You" by the Flying Pickets would be the Xmas #1 in 1983. Only problem was, my mate was so pi$$ed that he couldn't remember the wager & refused to pay.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 18:06 - Dec 8 with 543 viewsstickymockwell

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:27 - Dec 8 by Radlett_blue

There's No-one Quite Like Grandma?
Yuk!

The primary school version

There’s no one quite like Grandma
She’s wrinkly pale and thin
She lays down upon her back
And slips a finger in

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 18:09 - Dec 8 with 535 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 17:58 - Dec 8 by Radlett_blue

I had a substantial bet with a mate that "Only You" by the Flying Pickets would be the Xmas #1 in 1983. Only problem was, my mate was so pi$$ed that he couldn't remember the wager & refused to pay.

Those bastards robbed Slade of a triumphant return to the top of the charts after years of being written off as has beens.

Iron Lion Zion

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 18:41 - Dec 8 with 516 viewsRyorry

You are both Scudders, and should be appearing on TV quizzes

A virtual Audi to the first person with the correct answer* to "who was Scudder & in which book did he appear? (title and author).

*without looking it up!
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 18:42]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 20:50 - Dec 8 with 487 viewsBluespeed225

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:45 - Dec 8 by Pendejo

Yup, remember that!
On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 20:51 - Dec 8 with 486 viewsBluespeed225

On the anniversary of John Lennon’s murder on 16:39 - Dec 8 by delias_cheesy_flaps

Surprised nobody's plumped for this one yet...great little ditty...

Liam Gallagher still trying to pull off that look toaday..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024