Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine 23:22 - Feb 18 with 13356 viewsStokieBlue

From the Guardian:

"Doctors and public health officials have pleaded with Germans to take up AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, AFP reports. German healthcare facilities have reported several hundred thousand vials sitting unused and rampant no-shows at scheduled appointments.

Officials in Italy, Austria and Bulgaria were also starting to signal some public resistance to the British vaccine, and France’s health minister, Olivier Véran, got the jab live on television to drum up support.

“If you are given the choice between AstraZeneca now or another vaccine in a few months, you should definitely take AstraZeneca now,” implored Carsten Watzl, general secretary of the German Society for Immunology."

This is all the result of the careless and confrontational language which was being bandied around a few weeks back about the AZ vaccine, a lot of it incorrect or hyperbole. Just another thing they haven't handled correctly and it's really having an effect. Having unused vials of AZ sitting around as the public are refusing it is criminal at the moment when there are countless countries who would take it in an instant.

Shambolic and depressing.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:26 - Feb 19 with 2227 viewsFreddies_Ears

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:53 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

This isn't the case. The authorities are asking people to take it (below 65 as well I believe) but they are refusing it. It's clearly in the quotes I posted.

People are refusing it because of the dangerous language used by EU governments a few weeks back.

SB

No, they are refusing it because it is understood to be only 60%-70% effective, v alternatives that are over 90% effective. They are preferring to wait for a better vaccine to be offered, which will happen.
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:28 - Feb 19 with 2221 viewsbraveblue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:18 - Feb 19 by factual_blue

It's a good job our Government hasn't made poor decision based on their own ludicrous, half-baked libertarian views.

If they had, we'd be looking at almost 120,000 Covid-related deaths.

Oh....

A very poor attempt at sarcasm. Sums up the problems with politics - ignore any successes and keep moaning.
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:37 - Feb 19 with 2204 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:26 - Feb 19 by Freddies_Ears

No, they are refusing it because it is understood to be only 60%-70% effective, v alternatives that are over 90% effective. They are preferring to wait for a better vaccine to be offered, which will happen.

Which is vaccine snobbery and makes no sense. Sometimes people don't know how lucky they are. There are over 130 countries in the world that haven't even started a vaccination programme yet. There also won't be enough vaccine for everyone to take the one they want in a pick and mix fashion. I'm still not sure I agree anyway, if Macron and others hadn't been all over the media saying it wasn't effective then I seriously doubt people would have been concerned and would have taken it.

The efficacy of the AZ vaccine is more than enough to prevent issues with C19 and especially hospitalisation. The risk of waiting to get that small extra percentage of efficacy is far worse than taking the smaller efficacy now. It's nonsensical. The French health minister has clearly made this point.

People take flu vaccines which sometimes only have 30% efficacy without complaints.

The real issue here is that those AZ doses are now sitting unused when other countries could and would gladly take them and their population would be grateful to have them rather than show vaccine snobbery.

Attitudes like this will backfire hugely and result in more deaths and longer lockdowns if they persist and gather pace.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:38]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:39 - Feb 19 with 2196 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 09:59 - Feb 19 by giant_stow

Its not common sense if a person get s covid while they're waiting for their preferred vaccine.

Its also not common sense on a community level and actually pretty selfish to wait for the one you want.

It is common sense to be guided by public health advice, whatever that may be where you reside.

The public health advice and policy in Ireland, which is not political, is that the over 70s are not being vaccinated with AZ. They are getting Pfizer and Moderna. That will add 2 weeks or so to the time frame for vaccinating that category. To suggest people here who comply with that are selfish or snobbish is BS of the highest order.

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:42 - Feb 19 with 2190 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:39 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

It is common sense to be guided by public health advice, whatever that may be where you reside.

The public health advice and policy in Ireland, which is not political, is that the over 70s are not being vaccinated with AZ. They are getting Pfizer and Moderna. That will add 2 weeks or so to the time frame for vaccinating that category. To suggest people here who comply with that are selfish or snobbish is BS of the highest order.

That is all fine for Ireland as that is the policy.

The issue here is that in France and Germany people who have actually been scheduled for the AZ vaccine (age irrelevant as they have been scheduled) aren't turning up and that vaccine is thus going unused.

This would seem to be either due to the messaging previously around the vaccine or due to vaccine snobbery and wanting the absolute best efficacy.

That's far from ideal whilst those vaccines sit unused and other countries have absolutely none. The entitlement there is something I find quite worrying.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:46]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:44 - Feb 19 with 2178 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 10:19 - Feb 19 by hype313

Vaccine snobbery is something I never thought I'd see, it's remarkable that given the past year, people are now looking to choose like it's a Lunch menu.

If they continue like this, then they face far longer in lockdown and run the risk of more mutations, absolute madness.

In Ireland it is public health policy to give the Pfizer and Modena to over 70s. The AZ is not presently being given to that category.

To misconstrue that as “snobbery” is absurd.

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:45 - Feb 19 with 2174 viewsgiant_stow

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:39 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

I think we might be at cross purposes here.

The op refers to people in the EU being offered the AZ vaccine (they wouldn't be offered it if it wasn't in line with their country's health advice) but turning it down and chosing to wait. Chosing to wait is dangerous and counter to public health advice even in the country most affected by vaccine sceptisicim (france).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 with 2162 viewsjeera

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 10:01 - Feb 19 by giant_stow

I only have a sample of a few, but the older, vulnerable people I know who've taken the AZ have experienced some illness, but minor and only for a day tops. Small price to pay.

I posted before that my old mum was really quite poorly for 24 hours.

I felt really sorry that she had to cope alone and that I am not allowed to go to hers to help her out.

But she understands it's a small price to pay, bless her, and it won't stop her having the follow up jab when it's available.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 with 2162 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:44 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

In Ireland it is public health policy to give the Pfizer and Modena to over 70s. The AZ is not presently being given to that category.

To misconstrue that as “snobbery” is absurd.

I don't think it's helpful to keep reframing your points within an Irish context.

We are talking about Germany, France and other EU countries here (as per the opening post). Ireland wasn't mentioned once.

In these cases they have been offered it and are turning it down. That fits much more within the remit of vaccine snobbery that people are referring to.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:50]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:52 - Feb 19 with 2141 viewsEireannach_gorm

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

I don't think it's helpful to keep reframing your points within an Irish context.

We are talking about Germany, France and other EU countries here (as per the opening post). Ireland wasn't mentioned once.

In these cases they have been offered it and are turning it down. That fits much more within the remit of vaccine snobbery that people are referring to.

SB

Ireland is in the EU.
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:53 - Feb 19 with 2142 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9277667/Only-50-appointments-Covid-jabs
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:53 - Feb 19 with 2138 viewsgiant_stow

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 by jeera

I felt really sorry that she had to cope alone and that I am not allowed to go to hers to help her out.

But she understands it's a small price to pay, bless her, and it won't stop her having the follow up jab when it's available.

Sorry to hear that fella, but as you say, for the best.

For what it's worth Mrs Ullaa's mum (78) had a rough 12 hours but was fine after.

My buddy with Lupus (65) had it and felt a bit sickly for an hour or so, but that was it.

My Mum (81) had the pfizer and felt a bit odd after the 2nd jab, but nothing after the first.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:54]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:56 - Feb 19 with 2126 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:52 - Feb 19 by Eireannach_gorm

Ireland is in the EU.

Thank you, very kind of you to tell me.

It wasn't explicitly mentioned in my opening post or the quote though so not really sure what your point is. Nobody has criticised Ireland and writing EU is much leaner than putting a list of countries in the opening post. I've also said I am not referring to Ireland in other posts but specifically the countries listed.

You knew that though.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:58]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:02 - Feb 19 with 2111 viewsPinewoodblue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:42 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

That is all fine for Ireland as that is the policy.

The issue here is that in France and Germany people who have actually been scheduled for the AZ vaccine (age irrelevant as they have been scheduled) aren't turning up and that vaccine is thus going unused.

This would seem to be either due to the messaging previously around the vaccine or due to vaccine snobbery and wanting the absolute best efficacy.

That's far from ideal whilst those vaccines sit unused and other countries have absolutely none. The entitlement there is something I find quite worrying.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 11:46]

Do we know how the system works in France. It sounds to me that they don’t use the same system we do. While we invite people to book a jab perhaps they just tell people when their appointment is.

They may be making appointment for people who have no intention of being vaccinated. This all looks like deflecting attention from a poorly run vaccination programme.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:18 - Feb 19 with 2102 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

SB

Ireland is a part of the EU.

Old and vulnerable people have suffered more than most during lockdown and are faced with the greatest danger. To accuse them of being vaccine snobs is wrong.

To create an analogy, if they were offered a 60% chance of living or a 95%, they’d pick the latter. Who wouldn’t? To frame that as snobbery is wrong. Having gone through what they have gone through, to target them as snobs is unfair and unreasonable. They are more aware of the the suffering of lockdowns and the acute risks than most. They are not a category who are responsible for disease spread. It’s unfair to say they otherwise.

If it was young people, who are different ball game in terms of mixing, disease spread, symptoms etc. then knock yourself out with your labels, particularly if it’s young people who want to wait and choose and carry on regardless in the meantime.

It shouldn’t take too much common sense or humanity to understand the difference and see where the elderly/vulnerable are coming from.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:19]

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:22 - Feb 19 with 2095 viewshype313

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:18 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

Old and vulnerable people have suffered more than most during lockdown and are faced with the greatest danger. To accuse them of being vaccine snobs is wrong.

To create an analogy, if they were offered a 60% chance of living or a 95%, they’d pick the latter. Who wouldn’t? To frame that as snobbery is wrong. Having gone through what they have gone through, to target them as snobs is unfair and unreasonable. They are more aware of the the suffering of lockdowns and the acute risks than most. They are not a category who are responsible for disease spread. It’s unfair to say they otherwise.

If it was young people, who are different ball game in terms of mixing, disease spread, symptoms etc. then knock yourself out with your labels, particularly if it’s young people who want to wait and choose and carry on regardless in the meantime.

It shouldn’t take too much common sense or humanity to understand the difference and see where the elderly/vulnerable are coming from.

Ireland is part of the EU, you are correct, however no one has mentioned Ireland, so you are trying to reframe an argument that doesn't exist.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:28 - Feb 19 with 2089 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 11:46 - Feb 19 by jeera

I hope your Mother does well and it’s great to see she has such a positive attitude.

I think our elderly and vulnerable are heroes and the sacrifices they make often go unheralded.

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:29 - Feb 19 with 2088 viewsDanny_G

It isn’t a 60% vs 95% chance of living though. Or anything like that.

Both vaccinations give as close to full protection as you can get against dying or serious disease - the lower efficacy percentages refer to the risk of getting the disease, which will almost exclusively include minor infections only.

The broader point is that people need to understand this, and there has been a fundamental failure on the part of *some* governments of *some* EU countries to convey this. Macron, for example, describing the AZ vaccine as ‘quasi-ineffective’ was nothing short of moronic for a leader who needs to convince his citizens that the vaccines are safe and effective.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:32]
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:32 - Feb 19 with 2084 viewsgiant_stow

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:29 - Feb 19 by Danny_G

It isn’t a 60% vs 95% chance of living though. Or anything like that.

Both vaccinations give as close to full protection as you can get against dying or serious disease - the lower efficacy percentages refer to the risk of getting the disease, which will almost exclusively include minor infections only.

The broader point is that people need to understand this, and there has been a fundamental failure on the part of *some* governments of *some* EU countries to convey this. Macron, for example, describing the AZ vaccine as ‘quasi-ineffective’ was nothing short of moronic for a leader who needs to convince his citizens that the vaccines are safe and effective.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:32]

Moriety's 60% vs 95% question also ignores the cost of waiting and risk of picking up covid while doing so.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:37 - Feb 19 with 2067 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:22 - Feb 19 by hype313

Ireland is part of the EU, you are correct, however no one has mentioned Ireland, so you are trying to reframe an argument that doesn't exist.

The point is that Ireland’s policy of not giving the AZ to the over 70s is based on public health advice ie based on science/medicine, not snobbery.

Why shouldn’t older people elsewhere who are not a spreading category, and who are more exposed to the risks and sufferings of disease and lockdowns have regard to that same science/medicine?

They want the best protection as they are the most vulnerable. To portray that as unsavoury is wrong.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:38]

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:38 - Feb 19 with 2062 viewsStokieBlue

I've clearly stated Germany and France in the bodies of my posts, the subject needs to be shorter. What happens in Ireland is irrelevant to the situation in France and Germany.

As for the rest of the post, why aren't we seeing widespread refusal of the AZ vaccine in the UK whilst those people wait for the Pfizer vaccine? I am sure that to the people around the world who have absolutely no chance of getting a vaccine anytime soon that refusing a vaccine because it's "only" 60% efficacy and "only" prevents hospitalisation would look an awful lot like vaccine snobbery.

The analogy doesn't work at all because efficacy doesn't really work the way you are saying. 60% is enough to prevent most infections and the AZ vaccine prevents hospitalisation in the majority of cases. Given this and the at risk cohort you are describing it's nearly 100% efficient at preventing them ending up in hospital. Not taking it massively increases the risk of them ending up in hospital. There is no justification at all to wait for something that has a higher efficacy.

Nice that you've made a sweeping generalisation that young people are the drivers of the spread when I don't think that is totally confirmed by studies but that is a totally different discussion anyway. It's got nothing to do with being selective about what vaccine one thinks they are entitled to.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:41 - Feb 19 with 2054 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:37 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

The point is that Ireland’s policy of not giving the AZ to the over 70s is based on public health advice ie based on science/medicine, not snobbery.

Why shouldn’t older people elsewhere who are not a spreading category, and who are more exposed to the risks and sufferings of disease and lockdowns have regard to that same science/medicine?

They want the best protection as they are the most vulnerable. To portray that as unsavoury is wrong.

Can you please stop this?

Nobody has said anything about Ireland so I have no idea why you keep referring to it. It's not a choice people in Ireland are making, it's dictated by the government.

This is not the case in France and Germany and we aren't even talking about specifically older cohorts in those countries.

Equating the two things repeatedly doesn't make them true. Nobody has accused the Irish of vaccine snobbery so I don't know why you keep insisting they have. Numerous posters have pointed it out but you persist.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:42]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:43 - Feb 19 with 2052 viewsgiant_stow

While I agree that older people have made huge sacrifices in the later years of their lives, I disagree with your implication that they’ve come out of this worst.

The people who are worst affected are the young. Their educational lives have been bulldozed, their wellbeing often largely destroyed, while a huge cloud has been cast over their futures. They will pick up the tab for all this and pay for it throughout their lives. Personally, they get the bulk of my sympathy.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 13:16 - Feb 19 with 2016 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:37 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

As others have pointed out the efficacy is almost irrelevant, if it protects you from serious illness.

Surely it's logical to take the first available vaccine rather than risk dying waiting for the preferred one?!
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 13:32 - Feb 19 with 1993 viewsMoriarty

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 12:41 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

Can you please stop this?

Nobody has said anything about Ireland so I have no idea why you keep referring to it. It's not a choice people in Ireland are making, it's dictated by the government.

This is not the case in France and Germany and we aren't even talking about specifically older cohorts in those countries.

Equating the two things repeatedly doesn't make them true. Nobody has accused the Irish of vaccine snobbery so I don't know why you keep insisting they have. Numerous posters have pointed it out but you persist.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 12:42]

The point, which has been repeated of necessity as it is persistently misconstrued, is that there is a perfectly sound medical and scientific basis for an over 70s preferring the pfizer or moderna vaccine. The efficacy of each vaccine is the same, whether in Ireland or Germany or France.

You have accused a raft of elderly and vulnerable Europeans of being vaccine snobs which is wrong. T

You have made no attempt to understand the humanity or reasoning of their decisions or concerns.. You have carried on regardless, labelling them all vaccine snobs, despite the fact that they are the ones who stand to lose the most (ie quite possibly their lives) once normality returns. You condemn them for wanting the vaccine with the highest efficacy, which is pfizer and moderna - 95% compared to 60%. You do so oblivious to their concerns, and without any attempt to entertain their concerns, so taken are you with your own crusade. Would you be so upset if they were refraining from taking a European, Chinese or USA vaccine?

To label them as snobs, despite what the vast majority of older and vulnerable people had to endure, and despite the continued risks they face, is wrong.

It seems to me that what has driven you here is your inability or persistent refusal to comprehend their reasoning as anything other than nationalistic, snobbery or politics.

Ironically, you see and define the AZ vaccine in their context as British. For them, however, it's a ticket to life and normality having gone through what they have, and the risks they may yet face. Efficacy is a key criteria for them.

You have not made any attempt to see it from their point of view.

fka omuircheartaigh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024