Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s 19:32 - Mar 7 with 2807 viewsITFC_nostalgia

I’m doing some research for our Instagram nostalgia page ( https://www.instagram.com/p/CMEP0o6Dewk/?igshid=1nhu0ebej35qe) and wondered if anyone had any memories or sources of the Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s? The games I’ve found are below and those starred I’ve found very little-

1977 Toronto Metros*, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps
1978 Vancouver Whitecaps*
1979 Detroit Express, Minnesota Kicks
1981 Calgary Boomers
1982 4 team tournament - Tampa Bay Rowdies, Fort Lauderdake Strikers, São Paulo.

Any pointers would be really helpful.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:22 - Mar 7 with 2124 viewsRetroITFC

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI_16BtgKIQ/
Here's a photo from the match with Sao Paolo.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:30 - Mar 7 with 2116 viewsRetroITFC

Here is one I have that I am fairly sure is from the 1979 tour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIYbjvAhze/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:42 - Mar 7 with 2090 viewsPhilTWTD

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:30 - Mar 7 by RetroITFC

Here is one I have that I am fairly sure is from the 1979 tour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIYbjvAhze/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I'm guessing 78 from the shirt and Talbot moved to Arsenal in Jan 79.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:45 - Mar 7 with 2080 viewsRetroITFC

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:42 - Mar 7 by PhilTWTD

I'm guessing 78 from the shirt and Talbot moved to Arsenal in Jan 79.

My bad.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:59 - Mar 7 with 2053 viewsPhilTWTD

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:45 - Mar 7 by RetroITFC

My bad.

There is a Canadian poster on here who posted some photos of Robson and the team in Canada right at the start of his time here. He may well see this post and add them again.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:20 - Mar 7 with 2008 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:59 - Mar 7 by PhilTWTD

There is a Canadian poster on here who posted some photos of Robson and the team in Canada right at the start of his time here. He may well see this post and add them again.

Thanks Retro and Phil. Appreciate those.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:33 - Mar 7 with 1992 viewsfarkenhell

Irrelevant point l know, but didn't Frans join Vancouver Whitecaps after leaving us? Or did l dream that? Obviously would have been a few years later.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:36 - Mar 7 with 1989 viewsMattinLondon

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:33 - Mar 7 by farkenhell

Irrelevant point l know, but didn't Frans join Vancouver Whitecaps after leaving us? Or did l dream that? Obviously would have been a few years later.

Another irrelevant point. Didn’t we play Boca Juniors in a friendly when Jim was the manager? I couldn’t make it but seem to remember that the match was a bit of a bloodbath.
Login to get fewer ads

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 03:38 - Mar 8 with 1841 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:33 - Mar 7 by farkenhell

The Whitecaps signed Lambert (Mick, not Paul), Whymark and Thijssen directly from us.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 07:04 - Mar 8 with 1776 viewsMJR101

I was at the 1982 tournament in Florida. Can remember it was just after the Falklands so sang a few jokey songs at a couple of São Paulo fans (Brazil close enough to Argentina) much to the locals amusement.
Best memory was a chat with Sir Bob and Cyril Lea about the upcoming England mangers role.
Can’t remember much about the games I’m afraid.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 07:36 - Mar 8 with 1748 viewsTrumptonBlue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:22 - Mar 7 by RetroITFC

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI_16BtgKIQ/
Here's a photo from the match with Sao Paolo.

As that photo shows, for that tournament only, Town wore an early prototype of the pinstriped shirt with a white collar. By the time it became the official kit, the collar had become blue.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 11:04 - Mar 8 with 1663 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 07:36 - Mar 8 by TrumptonBlue

As that photo shows, for that tournament only, Town wore an early prototype of the pinstriped shirt with a white collar. By the time it became the official kit, the collar had become blue.

That is very interesting as the pinstripe kit (with blue collar) was used in the 81/82 season so I’m assuming they had a set of the white collar ones laying about and took them instead? Quirky.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 12:57 - Mar 8 with 1623 viewsCrawfordsboot

I lived and worked in Toronto in 1977 when Town came to play. I went along to the game and met up with Roger Osborne. We had been in the same class at Farlingaye. The players were free that evening so we went for a drink in a bar at the top (54th floor) of the TD Centre downtown. The keeper, who I didn’t know, came along. Think it was Paul Cooper.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 14:01 - Mar 8 with 1596 viewsTrumptonBlue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 11:04 - Mar 8 by ITFC_nostalgia

That is very interesting as the pinstripe kit (with blue collar) was used in the 81/82 season so I’m assuming they had a set of the white collar ones laying about and took them instead? Quirky.

Good point. Very odd, then!
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 14:05 - Mar 8 with 1593 viewsSomethingBlue

Have been to McMahon Stadium in Calgary and had absolutely no idea Town once played there (in front of a 10k crowd it appears)! Fascinating.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Friendlies/Teams/Boomers%20Friendlies.htm

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 17:44 - Mar 8 with 1520 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 12:57 - Mar 8 by Crawfordsboot

I lived and worked in Toronto in 1977 when Town came to play. I went along to the game and met up with Roger Osborne. We had been in the same class at Farlingaye. The players were free that evening so we went for a drink in a bar at the top (54th floor) of the TD Centre downtown. The keeper, who I didn’t know, came along. Think it was Paul Cooper.

I’m not sure but I think Paul Cooper and Laurie Sivell were the keepers on that trip.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:01 - Mar 8 with 1507 viewsTrumptonBlue

A bit of history on that kit - the white collar was seemingly a random one-off variant for that 1982 tour.

https://www.footballshirtculture.com/Kit-design/an-in-depth-look-ipswich-town-19
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:09 - Mar 8 with 1495 viewsRetroITFC

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 17:44 - Mar 8 by ITFC_nostalgia

I’m not sure but I think Paul Cooper and Laurie Sivell were the keepers on that trip.

Could Paul Overton or Scott Endersby not have gone over too?
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:13 - Mar 8 with 1484 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:09 - Mar 8 by RetroITFC

Could Paul Overton or Scott Endersby not have gone over too?

It’s possible, I’ve found what I think is a tour party photo but there’s no proof it is.
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:49 - Mar 8 with 1454 viewsMisterBlue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:01 - Mar 8 by TrumptonBlue

A bit of history on that kit - the white collar was seemingly a random one-off variant for that 1982 tour.

https://www.footballshirtculture.com/Kit-design/an-in-depth-look-ipswich-town-19

The kit itself was the standard "La Paz" template from adidas at that time, collar & cuffs matching the pinstripe.

http://kitbliss.co.nz/template/templates-adidas-lapaz.html

However, both ourselves and Aberdeen were unique in having it altered.

Ironically both clubs had a template named after them, although neither were used by either team.

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:56 - Mar 8 with 1443 viewsMisterBlue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:49 - Mar 8 by MisterBlue

The kit itself was the standard "La Paz" template from adidas at that time, collar & cuffs matching the pinstripe.

http://kitbliss.co.nz/template/templates-adidas-lapaz.html

However, both ourselves and Aberdeen were unique in having it altered.

Ironically both clubs had a template named after them, although neither were used by either team.

Here a link which I stumbled across a while ago, that may help the OP

http://mytampabayrowdies.blogspot.com/search?q=Ipswich
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 18:58 - Mar 8 with 1433 viewsMisterBlue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 03:38 - Mar 8 by ITFC_nostalgia

The Whitecaps signed Lambert (Mick, not Paul), Whymark and Thijssen directly from us.

Thought Thijssen went to Forest after us

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frans_Thijssen
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:04 - Mar 8 with 1390 viewsreadtheleaguetable

I went to the Toronto game in 1977 when I was a graduate student in Windsor, Ontario, and I made the four hour road trip each way along with a cadre of Canadian non-football fans I had recruited as a lark. It was a thoroughly enjoyable outing, and they (mostly) became instant converts to “soccer” and declared themselves as Ipswich fans. A year later, being unable to predict an unprecedented and never to be repeated event, I got married on the Friday evening before the Wembley Cup Final. This same group of friends adopted my dad (who as you can imagine was a very reluctant wedding guest...my siblings all stayed home for Ipswich’s big day and one was at Wembley in person) and set him up in the university rec room with a tuned in tv and a case of beer to watch the match with him. I told them to cheer when he cheered and to make sure he always has a bottle in his hand.?When I met up with him afterwards, dad was of course over the moon about the result, but also because he “had no idea there were so many Ipswich fans in Canada”!
I watched the Cup Final from my honeymoon hotel room (morning in Canada of course) and again the next morning in replay, and I somehow got away with it. Still married. And still in Canada.
One of the ‘converts’ was an usher at my wedding , and he went on to be the Justice Minister in the Canadian government. He has always maintained that he is an Ipswich fan. Might just be among the highest ranking supporters Ipswich have ever had.
As for the friendly game itself, its a bit of a foggy memory, due both to the passage of time and the amount of alcohol consumed on the day. I think we won. I know we provided a small but loud contingent of ‘away fans’ which the players appreciated. We got a wave. And the highlight of the trip wis actually one of the highlights of my life. Before the match we met the team’s bus to wave and shout, and because I was decked out in Ipswich ‘fan attire’, Bobby Robson came over to me to thank us for our support and I had a little chat with the man. What a gentleman and what a legend!

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:46 - Mar 8 with 1365 viewsCrawfordsboot

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:04 - Mar 8 by readtheleaguetable

I went to the Toronto game in 1977 when I was a graduate student in Windsor, Ontario, and I made the four hour road trip each way along with a cadre of Canadian non-football fans I had recruited as a lark. It was a thoroughly enjoyable outing, and they (mostly) became instant converts to “soccer” and declared themselves as Ipswich fans. A year later, being unable to predict an unprecedented and never to be repeated event, I got married on the Friday evening before the Wembley Cup Final. This same group of friends adopted my dad (who as you can imagine was a very reluctant wedding guest...my siblings all stayed home for Ipswich’s big day and one was at Wembley in person) and set him up in the university rec room with a tuned in tv and a case of beer to watch the match with him. I told them to cheer when he cheered and to make sure he always has a bottle in his hand.?When I met up with him afterwards, dad was of course over the moon about the result, but also because he “had no idea there were so many Ipswich fans in Canada”!
I watched the Cup Final from my honeymoon hotel room (morning in Canada of course) and again the next morning in replay, and I somehow got away with it. Still married. And still in Canada.
One of the ‘converts’ was an usher at my wedding , and he went on to be the Justice Minister in the Canadian government. He has always maintained that he is an Ipswich fan. Might just be among the highest ranking supporters Ipswich have ever had.
As for the friendly game itself, its a bit of a foggy memory, due both to the passage of time and the amount of alcohol consumed on the day. I think we won. I know we provided a small but loud contingent of ‘away fans’ which the players appreciated. We got a wave. And the highlight of the trip wis actually one of the highlights of my life. Before the match we met the team’s bus to wave and shout, and because I was decked out in Ipswich ‘fan attire’, Bobby Robson came over to me to thank us for our support and I had a little chat with the man. What a gentleman and what a legend!

Great story - beats my memories of a drink with the man who won us the cup
Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 21:18 - Mar 8 with 1332 viewsfloridablue

Town Tours to North America in the 1970s and 1980s on 20:46 - Mar 8 by Crawfordsboot

Great story - beats my memories of a drink with the man who won us the cup

Great stories and memories lads and all worth reading from the days when our 'boys' were certainly up there with Europe's elite clubs!! Old school/local mate went on to play in Canada, early 70s after he left Towns youth team. Philip Trenter was his name and in the same class as my sis and Brian Talbot. Didn't he also have a season recovering from an injury out there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024