Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? 14:07 - Mar 12 with 5328 viewsunstableblue

I've had low back issues on and off for 15 years; poor discs. Normally ends in a spasm and with opioids for a few days tends to clear. I'm pretty fit, and do stretch. Cycle loads. Sadly my swimming which I think was keeping it in check stopped with Lockdown.

Anyway recently I over did some squats and I've entered a whole new ball game - sciatica!

Upsetting number of weeks to be honest, gets you mentally. I'm now on a medical route, consultant, MRI - having for a decade sworn off that approach and focussed on osteopaths and massage. But a bit lost as can't shift it.

Anyone else also have the old lower back dilemma? any tips welcome?

I had been standing at my desk quite a bit during lockdown which I thought was helping. As sitting is of course the devils work... and will be seen as nicotine and booze one day (well sort of).

Anything welcome! I found 4 bottles of moretti initially soothing last night. But ultimately bad.

Think the days of skiing and football are over for me.. boo hoo.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:19 - Mar 12 with 2781 viewsnoggin

To operate or not to operate. I've heard both positive and negative outcomes of surgery. I have a prolapse, which goes into spasm occasionally, but no sciatica.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:22 - Mar 12 with 2779 viewsCaptainAhab

I had a really bad shoulder/upper back for a while and saw Tom at Livelong based in Hintlesham, for oestapathy/accupuncture and he really helped.
Also he recommended something called a bed of nails/shakti mate which is essentially a foam matt with little spikes on it, you lie on it for 10-30 mins and it stimulates pressure points. The branded ones are about fifty quid odd, but I picked up one off ebay for £20. It's incredibly relaxing when you get used to it and has kept my back feeling good. Might be worth a try?
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:30 - Mar 12 with 2748 viewsWacko

I know a doctor who swears blind that back pain is about 70% psychological - so maybe have a look at lifestyle changes / sleep patterns / stress relief etc.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:31 - Mar 12 with 2741 viewsEdwardStone

Plenty of lower back pain here

I go for regular trips to Cairo

Cairo - Practor, that is
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:33 - Mar 12 with 2734 viewsCoastalblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:30 - Mar 12 by Wacko

I know a doctor who swears blind that back pain is about 70% psychological - so maybe have a look at lifestyle changes / sleep patterns / stress relief etc.

There's a doctor that's never had a prolapsed disc.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:34 - Mar 12 with 2726 viewsunstableblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:31 - Mar 12 by EdwardStone

Plenty of lower back pain here

I go for regular trips to Cairo

Cairo - Practor, that is

Good work!

I thought Chiropractors were dodgy as its normally muscles that are the problem, hence osteo physio. But sounds like it works for you.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:34 - Mar 12 with 2721 viewshype313

Is your doctors name the same as your handle?

I got told once that I had referred pain, I said can you refer it onto someone else please.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

[Redacted] on 14:38 - Mar 12 with 2712 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:40 - Mar 12 with 2704 viewsjeera

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:34 - Mar 12 by unstableblue

Good work!

I thought Chiropractors were dodgy as its normally muscles that are the problem, hence osteo physio. But sounds like it works for you.

Chiropractors dodgy, in what way?

They're dodgy as in horribly expensive, but unless you have a condition that mustn't be manipulated then they are a godsend.

A responsible one will know.

Do get recommendations. I was saved by one years ago, I was a mess and actually suicidal as I felt out of options. The pain was relentless.

Then he left the practice but recommend a new collegue who he rated and she carried on where he left off.

On the odd occasion I had to see someone else; i.e. either of two others at the same practice, they were useless.

In other words, if you don't get success with one, do try someone else.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:44 - Mar 12 with 2689 viewsBlueBadger

Ah, either an old-fashioned GP or a general surgeon.

Side bet on an outside punt at 'male gynaecologist'.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 15:01]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:46 - Mar 12 with 2672 viewsSteve_M

Yes, fortunately all good at the moment but the last episode took about 15 months to clear up.

The MRI will at least provide a good idea of what the cause is and any treatment decisions can follow from there, given age and history it's probably a bulge on one of the discs pressing on the nerve. They normally clear up with time rather than surgery at least.

Otherwise, keep your mobility is high and regular as possible. Sensible pain management is better than pretending the pain isn't there, also anti-inflamatories help (and I say that as someone reluctant to take painkillers in general). Physio has always been good for me, both for loosening muscles and feedback on any exercise that might reduce the discomfort.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:46 - Mar 12 with 2667 viewsunstableblue

Often wondered that - in the mind! I have a intense and often stressful job (sometimes very rewarding). And have often wondered if that was a factor. But I'd suggest its as much about the sitting as anything else.

I do think endorphins from exercise - watching the Town score,are great for pain. And sleep.

But when I've been very relaxed on holiday, skiing or wind surfing, I'm still getting the back symptoms. And also I have had mates with prolapsed discs etc, and that was not in their mind!!!

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:49 - Mar 12 with 2649 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I ended up unable to work for about 3 months due to a slipped disc and sciatica....several less severe bouts before and since. Strangely for all the heavy lifting, hedge cutting etc it was squatting down and leaning forward pulling weeds that did for me... so definitely avoid squats in future!
Do what you can when you can, for me this was a few meters with a stick at first....and avoid gabapentin like the plague! By the time I was offered surgery I felt I was progressing well enough to skip it. When fit enough carry on with core strength exercises and conscious movement.
Now is not the time for osteopaths!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:50 - Mar 12 with 2642 viewsunstableblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:46 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Yes, fortunately all good at the moment but the last episode took about 15 months to clear up.

The MRI will at least provide a good idea of what the cause is and any treatment decisions can follow from there, given age and history it's probably a bulge on one of the discs pressing on the nerve. They normally clear up with time rather than surgery at least.

Otherwise, keep your mobility is high and regular as possible. Sensible pain management is better than pretending the pain isn't there, also anti-inflamatories help (and I say that as someone reluctant to take painkillers in general). Physio has always been good for me, both for loosening muscles and feedback on any exercise that might reduce the discomfort.

Thanks Steve really helpful, cheered me up in a way. I'm 6 weeks in.. and sounds like you've had a much longer episode and got out, without the need for surgery.

Nurofen is recommended and I also just got some diazepam (do not operate machinery) for muscle relaxa-go-go - like you I'm not a big fan of pain relief and long term nurofen abuse is BAD, as a mate with bad knees found out... digestion destroyer.

What was the MRI diagnosis? and do you mind if I ask how old you are?

[Redacted] on 14:51 - Mar 12 with 2629 viewsvictorywilhappen

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:40 - Mar 12 by jeera

Chiropractors dodgy, in what way?

They're dodgy as in horribly expensive, but unless you have a condition that mustn't be manipulated then they are a godsend.

A responsible one will know.

Do get recommendations. I was saved by one years ago, I was a mess and actually suicidal as I felt out of options. The pain was relentless.

Then he left the practice but recommend a new collegue who he rated and she carried on where he left off.

On the odd occasion I had to see someone else; i.e. either of two others at the same practice, they were useless.

In other words, if you don't get success with one, do try someone else.

[Redacted]
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:53 - Mar 12 with 2616 viewsRyorry

Had lumbar (and neck) spinal problems, including sciatica for 50 years unfortunately, discs etc going 'out'.

Lumbar spine op in mid-70s was a disaster, made things worse, but surgery's obv improved a lot since then.

You learn over time what you can & can't get away with, and how to manage your particular problem. Incorporate periods of lying down into your day, limit your sitting (get up frequently & walk around if you need to sit); limit your bending or don't do it all all, esp not heavy weights or from the ground - ask delivery drivers to place items on a bench near your door. Buy several grabsticks & have one in each room. For gardening if you do it, get long-handled tools & raised beds if you can.

The best external help I found after trying everything was

1. Acu-pressure (shiatsu) - similar to osteopathy but gentler & incorporating hands-on, massage-type stretches, alignments etc by the practitioner

2. Playing hot & cold water in quick alternatation (about 5 of each lasting 30 secs each) via showerhead directly on the source of the pain in lower back. Finish off with warm. This increases circulation which promotes healing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:54 - Mar 12 with 2611 viewsjeera

[Redacted] on 14:51 - Mar 12 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

There's not been any trouble here to my knowledge.

It's easy enough to check their membership.

I used that practice for almost 30 years.

Actually did visit one on a trip to Oz once. I came out of there feeling I'd been beaten up!

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:56 - Mar 12 with 2602 viewsunstableblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:49 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

I ended up unable to work for about 3 months due to a slipped disc and sciatica....several less severe bouts before and since. Strangely for all the heavy lifting, hedge cutting etc it was squatting down and leaning forward pulling weeds that did for me... so definitely avoid squats in future!
Do what you can when you can, for me this was a few meters with a stick at first....and avoid gabapentin like the plague! By the time I was offered surgery I felt I was progressing well enough to skip it. When fit enough carry on with core strength exercises and conscious movement.

Yes funnily enough - mine was caused by not lifting but by doing squats against a wall to ironically strengthen my legs to protect the back. But I was dropping right to the floor, and was basically jamming the lower vertebrae repeatedly! can't believe I did it on reflection. Gutting.

It such a mine field of what not and what to do.. and agree some physio / osteopathy is done way too early.

Thanks for your note and so pleased you're out the other side.. 3 months is a long time off work... and I've had just a few days off (its hard to actually disappear from the role, which is a problem). Last night thought when you can't sleep due to the sciatica and not getting comfortable.. you sort of convince yourself you'l never be free of it. So thanks for update.

The thread just shows what a common and bastard ailment it is. Do you mind me asking how old you are (as per another poster). No worries if not.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:59 - Mar 12 with 2587 viewsjeera

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:49 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Now is the time for an x-ray.

Then an expert will be able to see what options are available.

An x-ray will be free on the NHS and is transferable.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:01 - Mar 12 with 2571 viewsunstableblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:53 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Had lumbar (and neck) spinal problems, including sciatica for 50 years unfortunately, discs etc going 'out'.

Lumbar spine op in mid-70s was a disaster, made things worse, but surgery's obv improved a lot since then.

You learn over time what you can & can't get away with, and how to manage your particular problem. Incorporate periods of lying down into your day, limit your sitting (get up frequently & walk around if you need to sit); limit your bending or don't do it all all, esp not heavy weights or from the ground - ask delivery drivers to place items on a bench near your door. Buy several grabsticks & have one in each room. For gardening if you do it, get long-handled tools & raised beds if you can.

1. Acu-pressure (shiatsu) - similar to osteopathy but gentler & incorporating hands-on, massage-type stretches, alignments etc by the practitioner

2. Playing hot & cold water in quick alternatation (about 5 of each lasting 30 secs each) via showerhead directly on the source of the pain in lower back. Finish off with warm. This increases circulation which promotes healing.

Thanks Ryorry, sounds like you've been on a real journey there. There is a good book called the Back Mechanic that mirrors a lot of what you say. Especially the bending - all about the hips, shoulders and knees as the fulcrum not the spine itself.

Yes surgery of lower back has a very bad image, but I think has improved of late. But I have a real fear of it to be honest!

Accu-pressure Shiatsu type approaches - not the hardcore stuff - has also been highly recommended.

All the best.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:06 - Mar 12 with 2547 viewsEdwardStone

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:53 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

Hot bath always helps my back....I shall try the hot/cold shower routine

I also use an Infra-red lamp on lower back

I have called it

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:08 - Mar 12 with 2536 viewsSteve_M

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:50 - Mar 12 by unstableblue

Thanks Steve really helpful, cheered me up in a way. I'm 6 weeks in.. and sounds like you've had a much longer episode and got out, without the need for surgery.

Nurofen is recommended and I also just got some diazepam (do not operate machinery) for muscle relaxa-go-go - like you I'm not a big fan of pain relief and long term nurofen abuse is BAD, as a mate with bad knees found out... digestion destroyer.

What was the MRI diagnosis? and do you mind if I ask how old you are?

Similar to what I described, bulging disc (L4 or L5 I think). I have had several MRIs over the years so the consultant was able to demonstrate how a previous one had cleared up which was reassuring.

It first flared up in 2004 and has done a couple of times since, last being Sep '17 to Dec '18. I'm mid-40s now.

Diazepam is certainly worth having to hand, especially if sleep is an issue. Paracetamol and codeine too at times. You are probably a long way from surgery being suggested, an injection is a step well before that but generally most consultants seem to prefer time and physio.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:12 - Mar 12 with 2523 viewsunstableblue

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:06 - Mar 12 by EdwardStone

Hot bath always helps my back....I shall try the hot/cold shower routine

I also use an Infra-red lamp on lower back

I have called it

In the sea of information out there - often contradictory - hot baths and heat on early stage disc,back spasm, is stated as an absolute no no?! so something to think about

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:16 - Mar 12 with 2506 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes - started way back when I was a commuter and hunched over a desk. Different things would triger the agony... picking up the baby, sneezing, going on a 4x4 jolly - all manner of things poleaxed me for days.... or being overconfident with lifting, DIY, digging etc. I thought i was crippled for life...back then i had private healthcare and saw all manner of quacks and has x-rays plus MRI which basically showed i had a couple of disolving and disntegrating discs. BUT.... keeping up with back exercises given to me by a chiropracter has made it manageable.... I cycle quite a bit and walk quite a bit...I'm not saying I can bench press two tonnes but I havent been laid low with back pain since the turn of the century.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:17 - Mar 12 with 2500 viewsnoggin

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:08 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Similar to what I described, bulging disc (L4 or L5 I think). I have had several MRIs over the years so the consultant was able to demonstrate how a previous one had cleared up which was reassuring.

It first flared up in 2004 and has done a couple of times since, last being Sep '17 to Dec '18. I'm mid-40s now.

Diazepam is certainly worth having to hand, especially if sleep is an issue. Paracetamol and codeine too at times. You are probably a long way from surgery being suggested, an injection is a step well before that but generally most consultants seem to prefer time and physio.

I was referred to a back pain class and was told that walking on uneven terrain, helps. This was a few years ago and I can't remember the reason.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024