Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... 10:26 - Mar 25 with 10937 viewsBlueBertie

Apologies if already mentioned but Mick is on TalkSport at 11am this morning (Thursday). Jim White has just used that phrase 'be careful what you wish for' blah blah blah. He's also mention Mick has still got the hump about the way it ended. Just saying.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:57 - Mar 25 with 884 viewschrismakin

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:43 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

I'm not condoning any of the abuse that MM received, it was completely out of order and over the top. As you say, he was an honest guy who had done his best by this club and by and large had delivered good results, especially relative to our investment.

As a manager you cannot tell your own fans to f off though, deserved or not. He was a bit of a cantankerous fellow at times which is one thing, but that crossed a line. Abuse of him was vile, but he didn't handle it well. I think both of those things can be true.

Also. It was a minority group following the club out of thousands and thousands of those who didnt subject Maick to certain songs and abuse etc.

By keeping going on about it. Hes tarring everyone with the same brush

Hes left 3 clubs now and all 3 got relegated as soon as he left. So this careful what you wish for isnt solely for town anyway. It's just a normal for mick sides.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:01 - Mar 25 with 875 viewsbluebud

I'm not condoning any of the abuse that MM received, it was completely out of order and over the top. As you say, he was an honest guy who had done his best by this club and by and large had delivered good results, especially relative to our investment.

As a manager you cannot tell your own fans to f off though, deserved or not. He was a bit of a cantankerous fellow at times which is one thing, but that crossed a line. Abuse of him was vile, but he didn't handle it well. I think both of those things can be true.

"Abuse of him was vile, but he didn't handle it well. I think both of those things can be true"

Im not totally sure about that - the only definite there is that we all agree the abuse was vile....why should anyone have to handle that well in that case? There is either an acceptable level or an unacceptable level of abuse. We pretty much all feel it was unacceptable (vile) so therefore he is entitled to react anyway he likes.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:02 - Mar 25 with 874 viewsBlueBadger

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:14 - Mar 25 by BtreeBlueBlood

Let’s face it MM has a far superior squad now than at Ipswich and probably will have money to spend way above Evans allowed him.
He did a good job to start with, stats don’t lie -But his time was running out - he had a good crack at it. A lot more than most at championship level .

Thanks

How many more years will this crop up!

We finished top half of the table in all bar two of his seasons in charge. Indeed, that stats don't lie.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:03 - Mar 25 with 872 viewsWickets

Yes i think most sensible fans would agree . For me the moment he did his dance when Chambers scored at Norwich their was no way back .
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:04 - Mar 25 with 866 viewsSitfcB

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:24 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

Have they mentioned Mick telling his own fans to f**k off yet?

Deservedly.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:06 - Mar 25 with 866 viewsParky

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:52 - Mar 25 by Hipsterectomy

Some of our away games, particularly the London-based ones were always quite vile towards Mick. I remember some of the worst abuse I've ever seen Town fans give was at Brentford away, think we lost 2-0 and that was 2016...that's where I first saw Town fans shouting he was a pervert, dinosaur, he's a disgrace etc
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 10:52]

Whilst not ideal and right, please give over with the dramatic “worst abuse I’ve ever heard rubbish”. A few drunk people calling a football manager a dinosaur is the worst abuse you’ve ever heard? - I bet you’ve 100% joined in with “Die die delia delia die” chants and similar.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:09 - Mar 25 with 850 viewsMetal_Hacker

When Mick is on the radio lets say in another 10 years talking about retirement and life after football , will we still be having these discussions ?

Move on .As they sing in Frozen ..."Let it Go"

Poll: If it were one or the other

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:09 - Mar 25 with 856 viewschrismakin

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:02 - Mar 25 by BlueBadger

We finished top half of the table in all bar two of his seasons in charge. Indeed, that stats don't lie.

Whilst correct. It's always worth noting with these stats that those higher table finishes came before the 2 lower end ones... the tide had turned. Attendances were low and it was getting more negative with each game. It came to a natural end.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:09 - Mar 25 with 862 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Another case of Marcus keeping a manager for too long though and it would never have got to the point it did. Mistakes on both sides (i.e. fans and manager).

He did a very good job overall, I think that's obvious, but it was time to go in the Summer before he did.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:10 - Mar 25 with 845 viewsBlueBadger

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:09 - Mar 25 by chrismakin

Whilst correct. It's always worth noting with these stats that those higher table finishes came before the 2 lower end ones... the tide had turned. Attendances were low and it was getting more negative with each game. It came to a natural end.

We finished higher in his final season than we did the season before. The other bottom half finish was when he saved us from near-certain relegation.

But hey, new grounds, right?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:11 - Mar 25 with 843 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:09 - Mar 25 by PrideOfTheEast

Another case of Marcus keeping a manager for too long though and it would never have got to the point it did. Mistakes on both sides (i.e. fans and manager).

He did a very good job overall, I think that's obvious, but it was time to go in the Summer before he did.

Although I think that would only have hastened our demise. That summer we did some really good business in bringing in the likes of Waghorn and Garner. The squad at the end of 2016/17 was not in great shape.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:12 - Mar 25 with 842 viewschrismakin

It's quite bizarre

Lots of posters say there are no free rides etc
Or the supporters have no desire to be successful

Yet the same posters say that mick shouldn't have left.

It doesnt matter where we are now... it was where we were at the time.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:17 - Mar 25 with 822 viewsBlueBadger

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:10 - Mar 25 by MattinLondon

Their faded jeans and faded denim jackets barely covering their pathetic lives as they try to impress youngsters by squaring up to stewards fifty metres away.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 11:11]

Its difficult to work out who's more tragic - the fat middle aged blokes acting like they're in Green Street or the young lads who appear to want to be like them.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:19 - Mar 25 with 820 viewsMattinLondon

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:17 - Mar 25 by BlueBadger

Its difficult to work out who's more tragic - the fat middle aged blokes acting like they're in Green Street or the young lads who appear to want to be like them.

Can we not simply split the difference and say that both are as tragic as the other?
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:19 - Mar 25 with 817 viewsBlueBadger

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:06 - Mar 25 by Parky

Whilst not ideal and right, please give over with the dramatic “worst abuse I’ve ever heard rubbish”. A few drunk people calling a football manager a dinosaur is the worst abuse you’ve ever heard? - I bet you’ve 100% joined in with “Die die delia delia die” chants and similar.

I wonder what a venn diagram of 'people who think Mick shouldn't have been bothered by people saying he touched kids' and 'people who were upset by him using a bad word at football' would look like?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:20 - Mar 25 with 809 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Fk me. This thread? Again?

I can't wait for the 2024 edition.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:26 - Mar 25 with 793 viewsParky

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:19 - Mar 25 by BlueBadger

I wonder what a venn diagram of 'people who think Mick shouldn't have been bothered by people saying he touched kids' and 'people who were upset by him using a bad word at football' would look like?

It’s not like Ipswich fans to overdramatise things, is it? (This goes both ways).
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:26 - Mar 25 with 792 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:06 - Mar 25 by Parky

People were calling him a paedophile. I doubt you'd be very happy if you were being accused of being a nonce.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:26 - Mar 25 with 791 viewsjudespiveyg

It was never the vocal angry lot who care about watching football a bit too much which made Evans choose to not renew McCarthy's contract, it was those who stayed away which guided Evans' decision. There were fewer than 10000 in the ground for the Hull, Cardiff and Barnsley games. As a businessman, that would have been a bigger concern to Evans than a few hundred weirdos calling the manager a nonce.

That's why the 'be careful what you wish for' argument is flawed in my opinion, as it's incredibly unfair to criticise others for choosing to not spend their own money to go to games.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 12:33]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:30 - Mar 25 with 786 viewsParky

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:26 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

People were calling him a paedophile. I doubt you'd be very happy if you were being accused of being a nonce.

Being completely honest, I wouldn’t give a flying toss. A minority of drunken ‘fans’ starting chants that they probably shouldn’t, get over it.

It’s the exact same when we play Leeds, the Jimmy Saville chants come up. Every time we face Ched Evans, songs about rape. None of which are right, but Christ alive the way our fans go on about this.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:34 - Mar 25 with 767 viewsMattinLondon

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:30 - Mar 25 by Parky

Being completely honest, I wouldn’t give a flying toss. A minority of drunken ‘fans’ starting chants that they probably shouldn’t, get over it.

It’s the exact same when we play Leeds, the Jimmy Saville chants come up. Every time we face Ched Evans, songs about rape. None of which are right, but Christ alive the way our fans go on about this.

All you’ve managed to do is to vindicate the people who state that football fans are morons.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:35 - Mar 25 with 780 viewsPhilTWTD

Indeed, think history is being rewritten in some quarters. The end should have come long before it did. Mick had become box office poison here, whether we were finishing in the top half of the division and what's happened since is irrelevant. The relationship between fans and manager should never have been allowed to deteriorate to the extent it did and been prolongued for as long as it was.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:38 - Mar 25 with 743 viewsHerbivore

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:30 - Mar 25 by Parky

So if in going about doing your job a group of people started loudly declaring that you touch kids you'd be absolutely fine with that? You'll excuse me for not believing you.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:40 - Mar 25 with 735 viewsIP4_Blue

Cant believe he's still going about Ipswich. He did a great job with us no doubt great man manager you could see the players loved him and TC but he should have went the previous summer went on for too long exactly the same with Lambert
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:41 - Mar 25 with 728 viewsBlueBadger

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 12:38 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

So if in going about doing your job a group of people started loudly declaring that you touch kids you'd be absolutely fine with that? You'll excuse me for not believing you.

'Well it doesn't bother me' is up there with 'it's bantz' in the 'weak excuses for vile behaviour' stakes.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 14:59]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024