Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boo for Boris 17:10 - Jun 14 with 7986 viewsPinewoodblue

If there was a proposal that everyone stood on their doorstep and booed for Boris, over Covid, would you take part?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Boo for Boris on 03:20 - Jun 15 with 1804 views26_Paz

Boo for Boris on 23:32 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Surely you understood it, otherwise why would you downvote it?

Just thought it was a bit random tbh and night shift Paz is a grumpy Paz

The Paz Man

Boo for Boris on 06:40 - Jun 15 with 1752 viewsnoggin

Boo for Boris on 03:20 - Jun 15 by 26_Paz

Just thought it was a bit random tbh and night shift Paz is a grumpy Paz

Out of interest Paz, what are your reasons for voting Tory? I'm being serious and would appreciate a serious and detailed reply. You seem to turn up here, at every opportunity, to defend them without ever explaining your position. I can only presume you are a troll because that is how you come across.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Boo for Boris on 07:13 - Jun 15 with 1732 viewssolomon

He’s a pound shop Churchill and much like COVID we will all feel better once he’s gone.
Boo for Boris on 07:57 - Jun 15 with 1698 viewsitfcpaul

Boo for Boris on 18:15 - Jun 14 by ArnoldMoorhen

Could you save a bullet for the bloke who sings out of tune whilst "driving" a petrol powered piano in the adverts for Jet Petrol Stations, please, and then do him next?

Thank you.

It's sadly not out of tune, for the technically minded, but he does in fact kill an amazing song..............

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Boo for Boris on 08:01 - Jun 15 with 1696 viewsVic

Boo for Boris on 21:36 - Jun 14 by Plums

Why do you think the NHS staff don’t get pay rises above a pittance? Because they generally don’t vote Tory. It’s the same reason teachers and other public servants are vilified in the right wing press on a regular basis - because it doesn’t harm their vote. It’s the same reason some councils get better central government funding than others.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2021 21:38]

That would also be true if the situation was reversed wouldn’t it. When Labour gets elected they will fund groups and projects supported by its core supporters; so this can’t really be used as a stick to beat the present government with. It’s a sad inevitability of the 2 party system we have and is a good reason to move to Proportional Representation.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 8:06]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Boo for Boris on 08:30 - Jun 15 with 1667 viewsHARRY10

Boo for Boris on 08:01 - Jun 15 by Vic

That would also be true if the situation was reversed wouldn’t it. When Labour gets elected they will fund groups and projects supported by its core supporters; so this can’t really be used as a stick to beat the present government with. It’s a sad inevitability of the 2 party system we have and is a good reason to move to Proportional Representation.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 8:06]

Incorrect, and shows a gross misunderstanding if how Parliament.

PR merely allows the not too bright to imagine that decisions are taken on some proportional basis - they are not. Almost every decision is binary ie for or against a subject, statute, etc

Peddling the myth of this buffoonery is a danger to democracy as it allows voters to think that their involvement without PR us worthless, and with PR not needed as it will all then be 'fair'.

You then have the situation where local accountability and choice is removed as an MP is imposed upon a constituency AFTER a General Election. And as with elsewhere you have minority parties able to exert enormous influence, and having policies implemented that were not voted for by the majority.

The fault lies not so much with FTP as voters taking little interest - even when it is being rammed down their throats, as at present. Almost banana republic levels of blatant corruption, coupled with the same government showing open contempt for Parliament and it's due process, produces not a murmur of concern.

There's your problem.
Boo for Boris on 08:52 - Jun 15 with 1634 viewsVic

Boo for Boris on 08:30 - Jun 15 by HARRY10

PR merely allows the not too bright to imagine that decisions are taken on some proportional basis - they are not. Almost every decision is binary ie for or against a subject, statute, etc

Peddling the myth of this buffoonery is a danger to democracy as it allows voters to think that their involvement without PR us worthless, and with PR not needed as it will all then be 'fair'.

You then have the situation where local accountability and choice is removed as an MP is imposed upon a constituency AFTER a General Election. And as with elsewhere you have minority parties able to exert enormous influence, and having policies implemented that were not voted for by the majority.

The fault lies not so much with FTP as voters taking little interest - even when it is being rammed down their throats, as at present. Almost banana republic levels of blatant corruption, coupled with the same government showing open contempt for Parliament and it's due process, produces not a murmur of concern.

There's your problem.

“PR merely allows the not too bright to imagine that decisions are taken on some proportional basis - they are not”

Thanks for another example of the kind of generalization and low level disrespect that plagues our country! So someone who disagrees with you is instantly labeled ‘not too bright’! Hmmm - I don’t claim to be an intellectual, but that’s not a label that’s been applied to me by those who know me!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Boo for Boris on 09:00 - Jun 15 with 1622 viewsWeWereZombies

There's your problem.

You seem very wedded to party politics. In representative democracy it is the responsibility of the member of Parliament to represent ALL of her or his constituents however they voted at an election. It may amaze you (and it may bore posters who have heard me trot out this story before) but I have a letter to my father from Sir Eldon Griffiths, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Bury St. Edmunds, thanking him for the contact but asking him to get over his party allegiance and write to Ipswich Labour MP of the time Ken Weetch on a complex legal matter. Griffiths was very adamant that Weetch was a 'good man' and the appropriate (and best) person to advance the case. Sadly my father held to his prejudices and didn't.

That isn't to say that a generation of Tory politicians (and their supporters) have not crept into power and only do things when it benefits them but the underlying principle of judging people by what they do (and not by the badge that is carried) still holds. A recent edition of 'The Long View' on Radio Four suggested that post pandemic there will be a top level 'clear out' in the Conservative Party because the policymakers realise that the way they are going is unsustainable, a more socially aware Conservative Party is inevitable. It is that probability that the Labour (and Scottish National Party, Liberals, Greens, Plaid Cymru and the Alliance Party) need to respond to (and it may be one that Starmer is already addressing, he may come good yet...)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

Boo for Boris on 09:12 - Jun 15 with 1603 viewsEwan_Oozami

There's your problem.

This is probably the most bizarre argument against PR I have ever seen...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Boo for Boris on 09:42 - Jun 15 with 1588 viewsbrazil1982

Depends what time of the day, but probably not.
Boo for Boris on 09:44 - Jun 15 with 1589 views26_Paz

Boo for Boris on 06:40 - Jun 15 by noggin

Out of interest Paz, what are your reasons for voting Tory? I'm being serious and would appreciate a serious and detailed reply. You seem to turn up here, at every opportunity, to defend them without ever explaining your position. I can only presume you are a troll because that is how you come across.

There are many reasons if I’m honest mate. I’ll put a few below but the reason I’m more vocal about it on here than in ‘real’ life’ is due to the sanctimonious attitude of a number of people on here. For example, nobody is asked for a detailed break down of why they vote Labour. It’s as if some of you can’t believe that Tories exist. If you don’t loudly tell everyone how much you hate the Tories this approach is considered so weird you automatically must be on a wind up. Anyway, that’s why I’m pretty vocal about it on here, it frustrates me how it’s considered strange or unusual to support the Conservatives, there were something like 14 million of us at the last election, we do exist!
Personal reasons:
I’m naturally economically liberal, I believe in free markets. I believe excessive state intervention stifles enterprise and innnovation.
Call me old fashioned but I’m socially conservative. I believe strongly in the rule of law and have strong respect for great British institutions (e.g the monarchy).
I have a firm belief in personal responsibility. Teach a man to fish etc.
Related to an above point but I believe a lower base rate of tax equals a higher total tax take. A small percentage of a lot is greater than a big percentage of not much.
There’s a few to be getting started with. Hope that helps you understand why some people vote Tory.

The Paz Man

Boo for Boris on 10:42 - Jun 15 with 1548 viewsnoggin

Boo for Boris on 09:44 - Jun 15 by 26_Paz

There are many reasons if I’m honest mate. I’ll put a few below but the reason I’m more vocal about it on here than in ‘real’ life’ is due to the sanctimonious attitude of a number of people on here. For example, nobody is asked for a detailed break down of why they vote Labour. It’s as if some of you can’t believe that Tories exist. If you don’t loudly tell everyone how much you hate the Tories this approach is considered so weird you automatically must be on a wind up. Anyway, that’s why I’m pretty vocal about it on here, it frustrates me how it’s considered strange or unusual to support the Conservatives, there were something like 14 million of us at the last election, we do exist!
Personal reasons:
I’m naturally economically liberal, I believe in free markets. I believe excessive state intervention stifles enterprise and innnovation.
Call me old fashioned but I’m socially conservative. I believe strongly in the rule of law and have strong respect for great British institutions (e.g the monarchy).
Related to an above point but I believe a lower base rate of tax equals a higher total tax take. A small percentage of a lot is greater than a big percentage of not much.
There’s a few to be getting started with. Hope that helps you understand why some people vote Tory.

Thank you.

Would you agree that the criticisms of the Government, aired on the forum, are warranted? I mean, you never mention austerity which killed thousands and forced many thousands more in to poverty. Lower taxes don't seem to be helping those with the least. Police cuts are ensuring that the law of order you insist on upholding, is not being enforced. The NHS is in crisis like never before and staff morale is at an all time low. The removal of nurses bursaries, real terms paycuts and brexit are meaning that there is a huge shortage of permanent staff, leading to cancelled operations and ward closures. Teenagers can no longer afford to go to uni, unless their parents can afford to help with fees, which kind of means only the rich are being 'taught to fish'.
On top of that, you have a leader who has proved himself to be, at best, a charlatan and worst a compulsive liar and open racist.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 10:44]

Boo for Boris on 12:02 - Jun 15 with 1488 viewsbrazil1982

Boo for Boris on 10:42 - Jun 15 by noggin

Thank you.

Would you agree that the criticisms of the Government, aired on the forum, are warranted? I mean, you never mention austerity which killed thousands and forced many thousands more in to poverty. Lower taxes don't seem to be helping those with the least. Police cuts are ensuring that the law of order you insist on upholding, is not being enforced. The NHS is in crisis like never before and staff morale is at an all time low. The removal of nurses bursaries, real terms paycuts and brexit are meaning that there is a huge shortage of permanent staff, leading to cancelled operations and ward closures. Teenagers can no longer afford to go to uni, unless their parents can afford to help with fees, which kind of means only the rich are being 'taught to fish'.
On top of that, you have a leader who has proved himself to be, at best, a charlatan and worst a compulsive liar and open racist.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2021 10:44]

"austerity which killed thousands" - not proven I'm afraid.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-paper-on-health-and-social

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-austerity-kill-120000-peop

"Teenagers can no longer afford to go to uni," - true in terms of accommodation and living costs that out-weigh the loan available. Affordable if parents can subsidise, the student remains at home or has a job.
Boo for Boris on 12:14 - Jun 15 with 1461 viewseireblue

Boo for Boris on 09:44 - Jun 15 by 26_Paz

Personal reasons:

Your belief on how tax works is just that, a belief.

Tax income is non-linear to tax rates, that is all one can say.

That means there will be one or more optimal rates.

It doesn’t mean that a lower base tax rate increases the total tax income.

Free movement of labour is a very useful thing to have in a market economy. Many conservatives know this.

Some of us don’t hate Tories.

Some of us recognise incompetence, even in parties that we support.
Ignoring and excusing incompetence, just leads to more incompetence.
Boo for Boris on 12:26 - Jun 15 with 1433 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:02 - Jun 15 by brazil1982

"austerity which killed thousands" - not proven I'm afraid.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-paper-on-health-and-social

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-austerity-kill-120000-peop

"Teenagers can no longer afford to go to uni," - true in terms of accommodation and living costs that out-weigh the loan available. Affordable if parents can subsidise, the student remains at home or has a job.

Disingenuous - both links refer to only one study, in one specific area ("The main conclusion of the paper is that it is older people, in particular those resident in nursing homes or in need of acute medical care, who have weathered most of the funding crisis").

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Boo for Boris on 12:34 - Jun 15 with 1421 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:14 - Jun 15 by eireblue

Your belief on how tax works is just that, a belief.

Tax income is non-linear to tax rates, that is all one can say.

That means there will be one or more optimal rates.

It doesn’t mean that a lower base tax rate increases the total tax income.

Free movement of labour is a very useful thing to have in a market economy. Many conservatives know this.

Some of us don’t hate Tories.

Some of us recognise incompetence, even in parties that we support.
Ignoring and excusing incompetence, just leads to more incompetence.

Not to mention the corruption & multi-millions (billions in total now?) of those hard-gained taxes "spaffed up the wall" on cronies who have no actual idea re how to manufacture safe PPE or Track & Trace etc.

Boo for Boris on 12:39 - Jun 15 with 1412 viewsnoggin

Boo for Boris on 12:26 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

Disingenuous - both links refer to only one study, in one specific area ("The main conclusion of the paper is that it is older people, in particular those resident in nursing homes or in need of acute medical care, who have weathered most of the funding crisis").

I don't think he even read the articles he posted.

Boo for Boris on 12:39 - Jun 15 with 1405 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:39 - Jun 15 by noggin

I don't think he even read the articles he posted.

Boo for Boris on 12:44 - Jun 15 with 1397 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:34 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

Not to mention the corruption & multi-millions (billions in total now?) of those hard-gained taxes "spaffed up the wall" on cronies who have no actual idea re how to manufacture safe PPE or Track & Trace etc.

You don't think such corruption has been happening then, Timefliesbyintheblue?

Best take those blinkers off.

Boo for Boris on 12:44 - Jun 15 with 1396 viewsclive_baker

Boo for Boris on 17:13 - Jun 14 by RadioOrwell

yes but literally no one would hear me

Am I the only one curious as to whether you live in a very remote location, or rather you have near neighbours, you're just abnormally quiet at booing?

Something in me really hopes it's the latter.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Boo for Boris on 12:54 - Jun 15 with 1383 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:44 - Jun 15 by clive_baker

Am I the only one curious as to whether you live in a very remote location, or rather you have near neighbours, you're just abnormally quiet at booing?

Something in me really hopes it's the latter.

Think there may be quite a few of us living in rural areas who have no near neighbours - even during "clap for the NHS", banging heavy metal implements against metal dishes was essential to being heard (tbf, my dog was very helpful in that respect, as he immediately understood that this was a form of jungle telegraph pack communication, and joined in with some *very* loud howling, proper wolf-style ).

Boo for Boris on 12:56 - Jun 15 with 1368 viewsWeWereZombies

Boo for Boris on 12:54 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

Think there may be quite a few of us living in rural areas who have no near neighbours - even during "clap for the NHS", banging heavy metal implements against metal dishes was essential to being heard (tbf, my dog was very helpful in that respect, as he immediately understood that this was a form of jungle telegraph pack communication, and joined in with some *very* loud howling, proper wolf-style ).

So he was wolf howling at the same time as banging heavy metal implements against metal dishes - impressive...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Boo for Boris on 13:05 - Jun 15 with 1350 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Boo for Boris on 12:44 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

You don't think such corruption has been happening then, Timefliesbyintheblue?

Best take those blinkers off.

Indicators are best when off unless you are turning right or left of course- mine are centre most of the time and certainly would never stay on left as much as yours; you must be constantly hitting the kerb.
Boo for Boris on 13:08 - Jun 15 with 1338 viewsnoggin

Boo for Boris on 13:05 - Jun 15 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Indicators are best when off unless you are turning right or left of course- mine are centre most of the time and certainly would never stay on left as much as yours; you must be constantly hitting the kerb.

Very good. Run along now.

Boo for Boris on 13:09 - Jun 15 with 1334 viewsRyorry

Boo for Boris on 12:56 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

So he was wolf howling at the same time as banging heavy metal implements against metal dishes - impressive...

He's learned from me how to multi-task ;)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024