Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Falklands coverage 08:28 - Jan 5 with 3093 viewsZx1988

Crikey, this is going to end up being wall-to-wall isn't it? Given the time the BBC are currently giving it, I thought we were at theb40yr anniversary already. Nope, I didn't realise it was April-June.

I suppose it's been decided that a nice bit of patriotic willy-waving is just what is needed to prop up Boris and Co, and to rally the usual supporters?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Falklands coverage on 18:19 - Jan 5 with 526 viewsPlums

Falklands coverage on 09:41 - Jan 5 by Guthrum

That could be a two-edged sword, given the controversies at the time and since (are they going to re-show Tumbledown?).

The real lesson from that conflict should be that war is a subject best avoided by those seeking a political distraction - as General Galtieri found out.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Falklands coverage on 19:21 - Jan 5 with 484 viewsMattinLondon

Falklands coverage on 18:01 - Jan 5 by eastangliaisblue

I too have been and was amazed how much of an issue the Falklands are to the Argentinians. There was some sort of protest going on in Buenos Aires while I was there. Whenever I got speaking to an Argentinian the first two topics that ever got brought up by them was the Falklands and football hooliganism in England!

When I was there there was some sort of protest going on by (I think) the family of Falkland army veterans - not sure on the finer details.

Whilst there I had the opportunity to watch Boca Juniors and the atmosphere was absolutely incredible. Loud, flares and steamers everywhere. When discussing the match, one of the hotel staff apologised for the lack of noise etc as it was against a little team. Dread to imagine what atmosphere they’d create when they play against a bigger team.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 19:26]
Falklands coverage on 19:27 - Jan 5 with 470 viewsEdwardStone

Falklands coverage on 19:21 - Jan 5 by MattinLondon

When I was there there was some sort of protest going on by (I think) the family of Falkland army veterans - not sure on the finer details.

Whilst there I had the opportunity to watch Boca Juniors and the atmosphere was absolutely incredible. Loud, flares and steamers everywhere. When discussing the match, one of the hotel staff apologised for the lack of noise etc as it was against a little team. Dread to imagine what atmosphere they’d create when they play against a bigger team.

Just imagine the atmos if Boca first team had been playing instead of their yoof

It would have been amazing
Falklands coverage on 19:31 - Jan 5 with 457 viewsGlasgowBlue

Falklands coverage on 10:34 - Jan 5 by EdwardStone

The USA didn't want to public side with us against Argentina

However, they did help us with Intelligence and a virtually limitless supply of aviation fuel for the militarily useless and ruinously expensive Vulcan bombing raids on Stanley Airport; the RAFs most pointless and desperate act of inter-service willy-waving

This bloke was very much on the British side.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Falklands coverage on 22:18 - Jan 5 with 375 viewseastangliaisblue

Falklands coverage on 19:21 - Jan 5 by MattinLondon

The season had finished by a couple of weeks by the time I got there. Done the stadium/La Boca tour though. Would of loved to of seen a game.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 22:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024