Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby 13:13 - Feb 11 with 1762 viewsSouthPoleBlue

Not sure this is how I recall it, but John Percy claims in article today that ‘Gibson’s anger surfaced in 2018 when Derby hijacked Boro’s deal to sign ipswich forward Martyn Waghorn for £2.5 million. Waghorn was on his way to sign until Derby moved in and paid ipswich £5 million leaving Gibson furious.’
As I recall, we turned down £5m from Derby and Waghorn was an unused sub in friendlies before we gave in and accepted £5m. No recollection of Boro at all.
Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 13:54 - Feb 11 with 1527 viewstractordownsouth

After the Sheff Utd interest, Boro was seen as the most likely destination for him. The Derby move was a bit of a twist.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 13:57 - Feb 11 with 1528 viewsPhilTWTD

Boro Set to Win Waghorn Race as Bid Accepted 5th Aug 2018 10:23
Middlesbrough appear to have won the race to sign Blues striker Martyn Waghorn with Town having accepted a bid from the Teessiders. TWTD was first to reveal that Boro were chasing the 28-year-old at the end of June. 80

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:13 - Feb 11 with 1418 viewsSouthPoleBlue

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 13:57 - Feb 11 by PhilTWTD

Boro Set to Win Waghorn Race as Bid Accepted 5th Aug 2018 10:23
Middlesbrough appear to have won the race to sign Blues striker Martyn Waghorn with Town having accepted a bid from the Teessiders. TWTD was first to reveal that Boro were chasing the 28-year-old at the end of June. 80

Ok cheers. But not for £2.5m surely? As I recall we were holding out for more than the £5m bid but then gave in and accepted it after he’d been an unused sub for West Ham friendly and game before that?
Either way, at least we used the money well - £1.6m on jackson, and £2m for the Shrewsbury pair …
Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:19 - Feb 11 with 1376 viewsSteve_M

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:13 - Feb 11 by SouthPoleBlue

Ok cheers. But not for £2.5m surely? As I recall we were holding out for more than the £5m bid but then gave in and accepted it after he’d been an unused sub for West Ham friendly and game before that?
Either way, at least we used the money well - £1.6m on jackson, and £2m for the Shrewsbury pair …

We didn't get close to £5m in the end.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:42 - Feb 11 with 1271 viewsIllinoisblue

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:19 - Feb 11 by Steve_M

We didn't get close to £5m in the end.

With the continuing scrutiny over football finances it’s mind blowing that transfer fees aren’t 100% transparent and listed on an FA website for all to see. Remember the “6million” we got for Richard Wright that turned out to be 2million? Absolute madness that this mystery over fees continues.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:59 - Feb 11 with 1194 viewsPhilTWTD

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:13 - Feb 11 by SouthPoleBlue

No, I think that's well off. At the time we reported £5m rising to £7.5m and I'm pretty sure that was accurate. I forget the ins and outs but Derby may well have offered more than Boro with the deal all but done, hence Gibson's irk.

Waghorn's Derby Move Confirmed 8th Aug 2018 10:38
Derby County have confirmed the signing of Martyn Waghorn on a three-year deal for a fee of £5 million rising to £7.5 million. TWTD was first to reveal Derby's interest in Waghorn early last month. 63

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 15:00 - Feb 11 with 1184 viewsSouthPoleBlue

Waghorn - Middlesbrough/Derby on 14:42 - Feb 11 by Illinoisblue

With the continuing scrutiny over football finances it’s mind blowing that transfer fees aren’t 100% transparent and listed on an FA website for all to see. Remember the “6million” we got for Richard Wright that turned out to be 2million? Absolute madness that this mystery over fees continues.

Yeh you still occasionally read people saying we got £6m for Richard Wright even though sherpshsnks even later said it was £2m! But with Waghorn, I’ve just googled it and both EAst Anglian and Sky reported it as £5m, as does John Percy in the article in telegraph.
Phil - was it £5m? East Anglian even says it was £5m plus potential add ons to £7.5m.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024