Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank you TWTD forum posters 12:06 - Feb 26 with 1194 viewsLiquidPaz

I rarely comment in here. Today having read the support for Ukraine in here makes me more proud to be a town fan.

I've been married to a Ukrainian for 15 years we have 3 lovely kids that embrace their dual Ipswich/Ukrainian heritage.

It's comforting to know that the major of people don't believe Putin's evil fantasy rationale for this horrific and devastating War.

I don't know when I will see my in laws and extended Ukrainian family again. No chance of getting a visa and no chance they will leave. Just spoke to my 73 year old father on law. He couldn't talk for long he was helping make Molotov cocktails!! He warned me soon after I met him that Russia would attack, I just never thought it would be this bad.

Ukrainian flags at PR gets an up vote from me

слава Україні, слава героям
COYB
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:13 - Feb 26 with 1131 viewsbluelagos

Christ knows what your partner and inlaws are going through at the moment, but yeah, think you know 99% of people are appalled at what is playing out and at the human cost/impact that will inevitably happen.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 1103 viewsLiquidPaz

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:13 - Feb 26 by bluelagos

Christ knows what your partner and inlaws are going through at the moment, but yeah, think you know 99% of people are appalled at what is playing out and at the human cost/impact that will inevitably happen.

Like so many she's broken. Can't really function at the moment. But like all Ukrainians so defiant.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 1106 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Unsure which thread to put this comment in and don't think it needs its own so I will stick it here.

I saw a map on Thursday evening of the places that Russia had launched attacks on in the Ukraine. One thing that really struck me was how many of them were familiar due to their renowned European football teams.

I am not sure there should be, but this conflict strikes much more of a chord than those that have taken (and still are taking) place in Africa and further afield.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:26 - Feb 26 with 1083 viewsLord_Lucan

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:21 - Feb 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Unsure which thread to put this comment in and don't think it needs its own so I will stick it here.

I saw a map on Thursday evening of the places that Russia had launched attacks on in the Ukraine. One thing that really struck me was how many of them were familiar due to their renowned European football teams.

I am not sure there should be, but this conflict strikes much more of a chord than those that have taken (and still are taking) place in Africa and further afield.

I was thinking this only yesterday, I occasionally think about Rwanda, Yemen etc and how lucky we are but the Ukraine thing hits home more because it's nearer and the places are more familiar - plus of course it is likely to affect us as individuals.

Harsh but true. Human nature.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:30 - Feb 26 with 1045 viewsLiquidPaz

I get it. I never thought of Ukraine until I met my wife. Then realised how close it is and what large country it is and yes so many footballing links. Even with town with Baltacha. It's on our doorstep and to be honest so many of us didn't probably realise.

There's a very interesting documentary on Netflix "Winter on fire" chronicling the protests at Maidan it shows a very potted history of the past few years and the want to become part of the EU.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:33 - Feb 26 with 1021 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for you and your wife, let alone her family.

People who have personal involvement are so important because only the likes of yourself can truly bring home the truth of it. Real people because of that piece of dirt Putin’s madness. Reporters, politicians, commentators are one thing, people who are having to live it are quite another.

I hope your family can stay safe and I’d be very interested to know they are alright when this is over.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:36 - Feb 26 with 1002 viewsbrad548ye

Again, I can't even to begin to imagine what your extended family must be going through. This whole situation is a disgrace and I worry that by not coming to Ukraine's aid militarily that we are almost inviting Russia to go even further in the future.

I appreciate that there are many reasons why we and other nations are holding back, reasons that are no doubt beyond my understanding but it's frustrating all the same.

I can only hope that the brave men and women of Ukraine can hold them off and eventually force them back into Russia.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:38 - Feb 26 with 981 viewsEdmundo

I think anyone with an ounce of humanity and sense can see this is a war of conquest by a deluded quasi-Hitler. We stand with Ukraine, and with the Russian people who say, "not in my name".
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 12:39]

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Login to get fewer ads

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:39 - Feb 26 with 975 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:36 - Feb 26 by brad548ye

Again, I can't even to begin to imagine what your extended family must be going through. This whole situation is a disgrace and I worry that by not coming to Ukraine's aid militarily that we are almost inviting Russia to go even further in the future.

I appreciate that there are many reasons why we and other nations are holding back, reasons that are no doubt beyond my understanding but it's frustrating all the same.

I can only hope that the brave men and women of Ukraine can hold them off and eventually force them back into Russia.

Unfortunately, I don't think the last paragraph is even a remote possibility. However, the greater the resistance, the greater and clearer the message to those within Russia who might stage a revolution. That is the only real hope. To see brave people on Russian streets protesting is the most powerful thing I have seen. I continue to hope and pray for Putin to be deposed.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:49 - Feb 26 with 945 viewsBlueBadger

In what is almost certainly the feeblest display of solidarity yet, I will be reading 'Dynamo: Defending The Honour of Kiev' by Andy Dougan this week.

It's an astonishing read that I'd recommend to anyone, but doubly so to anyone with an interest in football and/or modern history, it's a real testament to the courage and determination of the Ukrainion people.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamo-Andy-Dougan/dp/1841153192/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_
[Post edited 26 Feb 2022 13:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 13:15 - Feb 26 with 839 viewsbrad548ye

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:39 - Feb 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Unfortunately, I don't think the last paragraph is even a remote possibility. However, the greater the resistance, the greater and clearer the message to those within Russia who might stage a revolution. That is the only real hope. To see brave people on Russian streets protesting is the most powerful thing I have seen. I continue to hope and pray for Putin to be deposed.

No doubt you’re probably right about this. I also agree that to see people protesting on Russian streets, that’s incredible bravery in a state like Russia.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 13:26 - Feb 26 with 787 viewsLiquidPaz

A friend in Romania just messaged and offered an apartment. Romania are offering free hotels and food. The

UK immigration office explained that to get any of them here with us. They have to go to Poland, Romania or Moldova then apply for a 6 month holiday visa as we normally would do when they visit us.

They refuse to leave and we respect it. To be honest there's a real urge to go and be with them. Obviously we know this cannot happen. Thanks for all your comments and support. I will update with news.
Thank you TWTD forum posters on 13:28 - Feb 26 with 776 viewsbluelagos

Thank you TWTD forum posters on 12:26 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

I was thinking this only yesterday, I occasionally think about Rwanda, Yemen etc and how lucky we are but the Ukraine thing hits home more because it's nearer and the places are more familiar - plus of course it is likely to affect us as individuals.

Harsh but true. Human nature.

I think there's the closeness to us (Kyiv looks a lot more like London than say parts of Rwanda) for sure.

But there is also the fact that what is happening is being filmed and posted on social media making it almost live. We don't have to wait for the news and/or get filtered news reports - we can see it with our own eyes via twitter.

The pictures of a tearful Ukranian dad putting his wife/kids onto a bus knowing he might never see them again - that is something we can all relate too. It is human and a level that makes you ask how you'd cope in that situation.

So for me it's not so much where it is happening - as how it is being recorded / shared and viewed that is so different to previous conflicts.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024