Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO twtd tories (or former tories) 19:48 - Jul 11 with 2125 viewsDubtractor

Who out of the current list of candidates would get your vote?

To my mind they all seem terrible, though I'd never vote tory in a general election anyway so my thoughts are as irrelevant as it is possible to be.

Sunak at least isn't making stupid promises about tax that aren't remotely sustainable, and he doesn't seem as interested in culture war bullsh1t as most of the others, so I think he'd just about be my preference. Tugendhat seems OK, but no chance he'll win. Did you know he was in the army by the way?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:56 - Jul 12 with 642 viewsSarge

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:45 - Jul 12 by GlasgowBlue

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, an MP relies on the popularity of the party and the party leader in order to get elected, so the party want loyalty in return.

There are plenty of very good constituency MP's who have lost their seats through no fault of their own because people were voting to get rid of party 'A' from government. Likewise, there have been some absolute wasters elected into parliament on the back of the popularity of their leader.

How many people wit fine principles and morals would get elected without the backing of a political party?

Ben Gummer and Tom Hunt come immediately to mind there. The middle paragraph anyway, certainly not the last.
Mad Harry hasn't..... on 12:03 - Jul 12 with 627 viewsBloots

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:21 - Jul 12 by Dubtractor

Some interesting discussion here.

Glad it hasn't just descended into a 'boo, tories are bad thread.

We all know they are bad, just no need to labour the point.

...had his straitjacket loosened yet.

It's a bit early.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:19 - Jul 12 with 580 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:45 - Jul 12 by GlasgowBlue

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, an MP relies on the popularity of the party and the party leader in order to get elected, so the party want loyalty in return.

There are plenty of very good constituency MP's who have lost their seats through no fault of their own because people were voting to get rid of party 'A' from government. Likewise, there have been some absolute wasters elected into parliament on the back of the popularity of their leader.

How many people wit fine principles and morals would get elected without the backing of a political party?

I think that's a separate point to be honest. That will still happen regardless of if votes are secret or not. At the end of the day, if the government want A but more people think B is the best way to go, it's more likely the majority are right and the government should listen to them. That would be if the idea of politics is the best way to run things, not the best way to give handouts to yourself/your mates, though.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:20 - Jul 12 with 578 viewsunbelievablue

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:56 - Jul 12 by Sarge

Ben Gummer and Tom Hunt come immediately to mind there. The middle paragraph anyway, certainly not the last.

Hunt is deplorable but not sure Sandy Martin was particularly useful beforehand.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:25 - Jul 12 with 562 viewsLord_Lucan

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:20 - Jul 12 by unbelievablue

Hunt is deplorable but not sure Sandy Martin was particularly useful beforehand.

Hunt is a major bell end

Sandy Martin was a bit anonymous

Ben Gummer was very good

IMHO

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:26 - Jul 12 with 561 viewsunbelievablue

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:25 - Jul 12 by Lord_Lucan

Hunt is a major bell end

Sandy Martin was a bit anonymous

Ben Gummer was very good

IMHO

This seems to be the prevailing opinion across the political divide.

Hunt is due a swift roundhouse to the neck.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:38 - Jul 12 with 539 viewsSwansea_Blue

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 11:25 - Jul 12 by GlasgowBlue

Voting records are a waste of time when judging somebody's views. If you are elected as an MP for a political party then you are whipped into voting.

Otherwise you are never going to be promoted to a position where you can make genuine change, your constituency will be starved of money and eventually you will be deselected.

Yes indeed, I mentioned that they're all whipped as an explanation. He's certainly not the only one who's opened up after leaving the party in recent years - Gauke is particularly vocal still isn't he. Amber Rudd was briefly, but I've not heard much from her lately. Grieve, Hammond, Ken Clarke - all sounded like different people after they'd left their positions.

Were all poorer for it imo, as it dilutes representational democracy. We appoint MPs partly on their character and views, but then if they're whipped against expressing them it makes you wonder why we bother appointing them in the first place. But I can see why it's needed in our system to be able to get things through.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:47 - Jul 12 with 534 viewsitfc_bucks

As an ex-member, I'd have said I'd vote for Tugendhat.

The current membership will go for Sunak or, if she gets through, Truss.
Login to get fewer ads

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 14:26 - Jul 12 with 510 viewsLord_Lucan

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:47 - Jul 12 by itfc_bucks

As an ex-member, I'd have said I'd vote for Tugendhat.

The current membership will go for Sunak or, if she gets through, Truss.

Once it get's to members votes I think the only way one of those two will get in is if they are the final two left.

IMHO anyone who is left against Rishi (aside from Hunt) will win.

Ditto Truss but she would have a better chance than Rishi

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 14:57 - Jul 12 with 475 viewsGlasgowBlue

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 14:26 - Jul 12 by Lord_Lucan

Once it get's to members votes I think the only way one of those two will get in is if they are the final two left.

IMHO anyone who is left against Rishi (aside from Hunt) will win.

Ditto Truss but she would have a better chance than Rishi

I saw this morning that Penny Mordaunt is the only candidate who would beat Sunak in a vote of the members.

Truss is being put up as the Stop Sunak/ Boris Johnson approved candidate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 15:05 - Jul 12 with 466 viewsLord_Lucan

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 14:57 - Jul 12 by GlasgowBlue

I saw this morning that Penny Mordaunt is the only candidate who would beat Sunak in a vote of the members.

Truss is being put up as the Stop Sunak/ Boris Johnson approved candidate.

Amongst members I read that Rishi was third behind Penny and Kemi Badenoch

Just found it - Jock paper https://www.thenational.scot/news/20271828.penny-mordaunt-kemi-badenoch-top-tory

Edit - David Davis is backing Penny

[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 15:07]

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 15:07 - Jul 12 with 464 viewsNthQldITFC

Can I vote for Jim Hacker?

I mean, I know he's dead and fictional, but he seemed to be very ineffective at getting anything done, and if there's one trait I would like to see in a TORY Prime Minister, it's being ineffective at getting things done.

Actually, being dead and fictional would probably be quite good too.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 15:15 - Jul 12 with 453 viewsBlueNomad

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 13:38 - Jul 12 by Swansea_Blue

Yes indeed, I mentioned that they're all whipped as an explanation. He's certainly not the only one who's opened up after leaving the party in recent years - Gauke is particularly vocal still isn't he. Amber Rudd was briefly, but I've not heard much from her lately. Grieve, Hammond, Ken Clarke - all sounded like different people after they'd left their positions.

Were all poorer for it imo, as it dilutes representational democracy. We appoint MPs partly on their character and views, but then if they're whipped against expressing them it makes you wonder why we bother appointing them in the first place. But I can see why it's needed in our system to be able to get things through.

Portillo - disliked him intensely when he was in government and laughed the night he lost his seat. Now I really enjoy his travel programmes and he comes across as a really nice guy who is genuinely interested in people.
FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 15:32 - Jul 12 with 432 viewsNthQldITFC

FAO twtd tories (or former tories) on 15:05 - Jul 12 by Lord_Lucan

Amongst members I read that Rishi was third behind Penny and Kemi Badenoch

Just found it - Jock paper https://www.thenational.scot/news/20271828.penny-mordaunt-kemi-badenoch-top-tory

Edit - David Davis is backing Penny

[Post edited 12 Jul 2022 15:07]

Penny Mordaunt is the naval one, is she not? Cue loads of naval puns if she makes a late tack and comes home with wet sails. Plenty of top hamper.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024