Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I follow audio 13:50 - Aug 1 with 4736 viewsblueislander

I have had a response from the club to my complaint about the IFollow audio commentary. They admit that this was a commercial decision, , but stated that the commentator is talented, and will eventually get it right. I replied that the amount of money involved is minimal in relation to the club’s overall budget, and asked what experience the commentator has, and how long is “eventually” I urged them to reconsider their decision, and put the fans first.
I follow audio on 16:44 - Aug 1 with 1581 viewscoolcat

I follow audio on 15:49 - Aug 1 by Hullblue

Couldn't agree more.

One small consolation for me was that their Final Whistle program was available online that evening, so I was at least able to listen to MM's views on the game - worth trying that next time if you haven't already.

I always listen to that. Small consolation I guess. Agree with above they can keep the guy who does the video commentary.
I follow audio on 17:00 - Aug 1 with 1546 viewsDJR

I follow audio on 16:41 - Aug 1 by coolcat

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Another guy on twitter said that's who replied to him. I sent it to enquries@itfc.co.uk a few hours ago & heard nothing. This guy on twitter said it was about them wanting to advertise Planet Blue merchandise, so I guess that would cover the 'commercial decision' aspect.

If that's the case, they aren't going to change it, whatever we write. Rather sad but I suppose a consequence of the way this club is going. Marcus Nash (Head of Communications and Media) is only 28 and not from here, so probably hasn't got a clue who Mick Mills is. The only alternative, if we all don't get anywhere, is to take it up with Mark Ashton or at one of the Fan Forums.
I follow audio on 17:13 - Aug 1 with 1535 viewscoolcat

I follow audio on 17:00 - Aug 1 by DJR

If that's the case, they aren't going to change it, whatever we write. Rather sad but I suppose a consequence of the way this club is going. Marcus Nash (Head of Communications and Media) is only 28 and not from here, so probably hasn't got a clue who Mick Mills is. The only alternative, if we all don't get anywhere, is to take it up with Mark Ashton or at one of the Fan Forums.

I just spoke with a nice lady who works at ITFC who is currently trawling through all the emails (mine included). She said she is just sending out a standard response from Marcus Nash (presumably been instructed to). The main complaint from me (when she gets to it) was the lack of radio presenting skills which is currently being 'fed back' from all the other emails. Sounds like they were inundated. Don't think they were expecting so many, hence the 'circular' from Mr Nash. I agree, should be brought up at a fan forum if no improvement.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 17:15]
I follow audio on 17:23 - Aug 1 with 1501 viewsjeera

I follow audio on 17:13 - Aug 1 by coolcat

I just spoke with a nice lady who works at ITFC who is currently trawling through all the emails (mine included). She said she is just sending out a standard response from Marcus Nash (presumably been instructed to). The main complaint from me (when she gets to it) was the lack of radio presenting skills which is currently being 'fed back' from all the other emails. Sounds like they were inundated. Don't think they were expecting so many, hence the 'circular' from Mr Nash. I agree, should be brought up at a fan forum if no improvement.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 17:15]

Just received the response as reading this thread as it goes:

"Whilst the Club goes through a period of transition, we expect there to be slight teething issues.

That being said, the overlap of both Club commentary feeds during the first half of the match is an issue that should not have happened and we will most certainly feed that back to the EFL.

The Club’s decision to take over the commentary this season as opposed to using BBC Radio Suffolk is based on our in-house commercial desires.

For example, we would like to promote our latest offers on Planet Blue, this can’t be done on BBC.

Glenn Wheeler, who does our commentary, is a talented individual who will eventually adapt to the style required for our supporters. We will be feeding back to Glenn to be more audio descriptive during the run of play.

Your opinion absolutely matters to me and I thank you dearly for providing an honest summary of your experience.

Rest assured, we will improve.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Marcus"

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I follow audio on 17:28 - Aug 1 with 1490 viewsblueislander

I follow audio on 17:23 - Aug 1 by jeera

"Whilst the Club goes through a period of transition, we expect there to be slight teething issues.

That being said, the overlap of both Club commentary feeds during the first half of the match is an issue that should not have happened and we will most certainly feed that back to the EFL.

The Club’s decision to take over the commentary this season as opposed to using BBC Radio Suffolk is based on our in-house commercial desires.

For example, we would like to promote our latest offers on Planet Blue, this can’t be done on BBC.

Glenn Wheeler, who does our commentary, is a talented individual who will eventually adapt to the style required for our supporters. We will be feeding back to Glenn to be more audio descriptive during the run of play.

Your opinion absolutely matters to me and I thank you dearly for providing an honest summary of your experience.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Marcus"

It is indeed the standard reply.I have no idea what experience the commentator has, and what he has done to be called talented.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 17:33]
I follow audio on 17:32 - Aug 1 with 1479 viewsKeno

I follow audio on 17:28 - Aug 1 by blueislander

It is indeed the standard reply.I have no idea what experience the commentator has, and what he has done to be called talented.

I am shocked that my email wasnt personally written by Mr Nash!!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I follow audio on 17:34 - Aug 1 with 1479 viewsjeera

I follow audio on 17:28 - Aug 1 by blueislander

Quite, nor are any of us motivated by a personal dislike of Glen, whoever he may be, but there's no getting away from he fact that style of commentary isn't suitable for audio only.

Nothing against the guy and I'm sure he's a hundred times better than I would be, but that's not the point is it.

As I said the other day it must be like listening to commentary on fishing. The style just didn't work. It is bearable for TV I suppose although I would still prefer the radio lot myself.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I follow audio on 17:38 - Aug 1 with 1473 views2-5-7

I follow audio on 15:55 - Aug 1 by blueislander

They can keep the guy to do the video commentary if he is contracted.

Its not going to make it any better even if he does improve - and I don't wish to pan the commentator who I'm sure is young and learning his trade.
Just can't substitute the production levels and professionalism of the BBC. Not possible.
Compared to a lot of other BBC local channels we also happen to have very, very good matchday coverage.
I know Brenner shouts and falls off his chair at the wrong moment sometimes and Mick sounds like he needs a Brandy now and again to get excited, but they are good.
He's an ex-International skipper for gawwds-sake.
Bad move by the Club.
If you can't get to games it's part of the atmosphere. The replacement of the BBC is never going to be that level.
Listened to te Millwall friendly and its the same - a club employee who's ok but where I'd rather have the third option of crowd only as it adds more.
I talked my mate who left to go back to the UK and move to Devon into buying a subscription for the season so he could listen to the audio. Lets just say I owe him a pint next time I see him as not very happy!
Login to get fewer ads

I follow audio on 17:46 - Aug 1 with 1452 viewscoolcat

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Marcus"

This lady I spoke to told me that this new audio person apparently does have radio skills, which surprised me. She gave me a brief breakdown of what's happened as per the email from Marcus. Nice to talk to someone rather than hiding behind a keyboard. Guess I'll get mine in due course. I don't know about this Glenn being talented like Marcus says. It's great being talented I suppose but needs to hone radio presenting skills asap or put a more experienced presenter next to him, whilst learning these skills as it take time. Sounds like a rookie radio presenter who did an online course There's quite a gulf in radio presenting skills left in Brenner's wake.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 17:53]
I follow audio on 19:16 - Aug 1 with 1371 viewsDJR

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Marcus"

"The Club’s decision to take over the commentary this season as opposed to using BBC Radio Suffolk is based on our in-house commercial desires."
And to hell with the fans!
I follow audio on 19:27 - Aug 1 with 1363 viewsDJR

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Marcus"

"We will be feeding back to Glenn to be more audio descriptive during the run of play."
This is easier said than done but you would have thought someone would have had the gumption to realise there is a difference between audio and TV coverage, particularly as they are all so media savvy. Or is that they are so wet between the ears that they don't really have a clue?
I follow audio on 19:38 - Aug 1 with 1353 viewsgosblue

I follow audio on 19:27 - Aug 1 by DJR

"We will be feeding back to Glenn to be more audio descriptive during the run of play."
This is easier said than done but you would have thought someone would have had the gumption to realise there is a difference between audio and TV coverage, particularly as they are all so media savvy. Or is that they are so wet between the ears that they don't really have a clue?

I think someone had a word with him at halftime as he did improve slightly. He started to sometimes describe areas of the pitch where the action was taking place. I couldn’t get a ticket for FGR so I’ll give him another chance. If he has listened back he will understand our frustration and make improvements accordingly.
I follow audio on 19:49 - Aug 1 with 1345 viewsDJR

I follow audio on 19:38 - Aug 1 by gosblue

I think someone had a word with him at halftime as he did improve slightly. He started to sometimes describe areas of the pitch where the action was taking place. I couldn’t get a ticket for FGR so I’ll give him another chance. If he has listened back he will understand our frustration and make improvements accordingly.

Did he mention the goals?
I follow audio on 21:08 - Aug 1 with 1311 viewsSwansea_Blue

I always thought Brenner got unnecessary grief. Funny how you miss something when it’s gone innit. Although to be fair to the commentator/summariser, the biggest issue by far was poor iFollow sound quality with the away commentator sharing their channel.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I follow audio on 21:12 - Aug 1 with 1301 viewsDJR

I follow audio on 21:08 - Aug 1 by Swansea_Blue

I always thought Brenner got unnecessary grief. Funny how you miss something when it’s gone innit. Although to be fair to the commentator/summariser, the biggest issue by far was poor iFollow sound quality with the away commentator sharing their channel.

That'll be the in-house YTS sound engineer's fault.
I follow audio on 12:15 - Aug 2 with 1136 viewsblueislander

I follow audio on 21:12 - Aug 1 by DJR

That'll be the in-house YTS sound engineer's fault.

Just had an e mail in response to my second one. They have forwarded my complaint on to the Media Department. I wonder what they will reply.
I follow audio on 13:23 - Aug 2 with 1094 viewsDJR

I follow audio on 12:15 - Aug 2 by blueislander

Just had an e mail in response to my second one. They have forwarded my complaint on to the Media Department. I wonder what they will reply.

Marcus Nash is Head of Media, so I rather doubt you will get very far. Below is what I just received from him. The annoying thing is that even a club like Norwich offers BBC Norfolk for its audio coverage. The only way forward it seems to me would be for us all to threaten to boycott Planet Blue (which seems to be reason they are doing what they are doing), especially if we are going to have it rammed down our throats advertising-wise.

Thank you for your email.

I will be first to admit that Saturday’s product simply was not good enough and must be improved.

The technical issues were at the EFL/IMG end and we can only apologise for that. We’re hoping this won’t happen again and have had assurances from EFL.

In terms of the commentary style, you’re absolutely right, this must be tailored for a radio audience and not TV. This has been feedback to our commentator who can tailor to radio and will going forward.

The main issue here was we’ve worked hard to get everything right, we’ve missed out on the basics and that’s ensuring our audio-only listeners get a proper insight into the 90 minutes.

I understand change is difficult at first, given the fact Brenner & Mick do a tremendous job, however, the Club must try to go in our own direction and improve what we have.

Your email hasn’t fallen on deaf ears, I am listening to your feedback and will most certainly aim to improve the product.

I really appreciate your email and will do my utmost to ensure going forward, we produce a better quality of commentary.
I follow audio on 13:42 - Aug 2 with 1069 viewsParsley

I follow audio on 13:23 - Aug 2 by DJR

Marcus Nash is Head of Media, so I rather doubt you will get very far. Below is what I just received from him. The annoying thing is that even a club like Norwich offers BBC Norfolk for its audio coverage. The only way forward it seems to me would be for us all to threaten to boycott Planet Blue (which seems to be reason they are doing what they are doing), especially if we are going to have it rammed down our throats advertising-wise.

I will be first to admit that Saturday’s product simply was not good enough and must be improved.

The technical issues were at the EFL/IMG end and we can only apologise for that. We’re hoping this won’t happen again and have had assurances from EFL.

In terms of the commentary style, you’re absolutely right, this must be tailored for a radio audience and not TV. This has been feedback to our commentator who can tailor to radio and will going forward.

The main issue here was we’ve worked hard to get everything right, we’ve missed out on the basics and that’s ensuring our audio-only listeners get a proper insight into the 90 minutes.

I understand change is difficult at first, given the fact Brenner & Mick do a tremendous job, however, the Club must try to go in our own direction and improve what we have.

Your email hasn’t fallen on deaf ears, I am listening to your feedback and will most certainly aim to improve the product.

I really appreciate your email and will do my utmost to ensure going forward, we produce a better quality of commentary.

I think the responses from the club that have been shared are pretty fair to be honest and seem to have got more detailed as time has gone on rather than being a stock answer. I like the BBC Suffolk coverage but that had it's own share of critics as well and if they do take the feedback on board and improve then I don't really see an issue.
I follow audio on 13:47 - Aug 2 with 1058 viewsSTYG

This is quite funny to be honest.

People would now love to have Brenner back jizzing himself when the opposition score it seems.

For the record, I like Brenner and Mick Mills and have no issue at all with him, but many do. The new guy was decent against Charlton but very poor against Bolton. I watched both back in full on iFollow as I always do the day after a match.

It was bad with the video, so audio only I can imagine was terrible. It makes no sense to have one doing both jobs they are totally different, otherwise you get talked through things you can see with your own eyes.

Let's give him a chance though. Sounds like a young guy and useful feedback is worth passing on so he can improve but if he's already doing an audio and video job in one, it's almost impossible to please people.
I follow audio on 14:00 - Aug 2 with 1043 viewsblueislander

The advertising Planet Blue in conjunction with the I Follow broadcast is a bit of a nonsense. I would imagine that most people only tune in very close to kick off, and make a cuppa or do something else at half time. I doubt whether many people actually listen to it when they are playing.
I follow audio on 14:07 - Aug 2 with 1029 viewsSTYG

What's wrong with this reply?

Seems like an excellent response.

Explaining the EFL caused issues. Accepting blame for what's under our control. Confirming process in place to improve and that it won't be ignored.

Very good reply I feel.
I follow audio on 14:29 - Aug 2 with 989 viewsshaunmahony

I paid for audio thinking I was getting Radio Suffolk ( I live in Cheshire). Was immediately underwhelmed by the commentary - didn't hear who fouled for the penalty , and Carlos as expert pundit didn't seem to say much. I always find MM, although a bit dry, extremely informative on formation, tactics etc and certainly missed that. Don't think I will sign in just for audio again.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 14:34]
I follow audio on 14:53 - Aug 2 with 943 viewsDJR

I follow audio on 14:07 - Aug 2 by STYG

What's wrong with this reply?

Seems like an excellent response.

Explaining the EFL caused issues. Accepting blame for what's under our control. Confirming process in place to improve and that it won't be ignored.

Very good reply I feel.

My issue isn't with the technical issues. And if you're happy with TV commentary for an audio feed, and don't think Radio Suffolk is any good, the reply is indeed excellent. But as the previous post suggests there will be some who no longer sign up to the audio feed. The fact is that there are different ways of taking things in-house (Forest TV from what I can recall offered BBC Nottingham for the audio coverage last season), and there appears to have been no notification or consultation that the audio commentary would change. As a result there will be some who have signed up for the season to something they might not otherwise have done.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 14:54]
I follow audio on 15:00 - Aug 2 with 934 viewsSTYG

I follow audio on 14:53 - Aug 2 by DJR

My issue isn't with the technical issues. And if you're happy with TV commentary for an audio feed, and don't think Radio Suffolk is any good, the reply is indeed excellent. But as the previous post suggests there will be some who no longer sign up to the audio feed. The fact is that there are different ways of taking things in-house (Forest TV from what I can recall offered BBC Nottingham for the audio coverage last season), and there appears to have been no notification or consultation that the audio commentary would change. As a result there will be some who have signed up for the season to something they might not otherwise have done.

I'm not happy.

But the club haven't said the product was good or ignored anyone. They've admitted it wasn't good enough and explained they are going to endeavour to do the thing we'd both want them to do.
I follow audio on 15:20 - Aug 2 with 909 viewsPhilTWTD

I follow audio on 14:53 - Aug 2 by DJR

Regarding the last bit, it has long been known that the commentary was changing, the club even trialed it at the last game of last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024