Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report 02:30 - Nov 8 with 6832 viewsIllinoisblue

Wow, it’s another world out there. Mostly an entirely different set of commenters who apparently don’t come on to the forum. Genuinely fascinating that people have so much to say but don’t say it on the forum.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 06:19 - Nov 8 with 4007 viewsJeff_winger

I have often wondered why so many hold conversations on a comments section.
I assume they are older posters who skill set is not navigating webpages and just don't know this forum exists.

I think if Phil dine a news story revelling this section of the website it would blow minds
Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 06:24 - Nov 8 with 3987 viewsChondzoresk

The asteroid belt of TWTD.
Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 06:27 - Nov 8 with 3982 viewsCoastalblue

It's a glimpse into an alternate reality, supposed to make us feel slightly better about the world.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 08:45 - Nov 8 with 3635 viewshomer_123

I happen to know of two people who are regular 'news commentators' but will never venture to the forum.

They perceive it to be very 'cliquey' and feel people get bullied and hounded.

To be fair to them, over the past year or so, I think we have lost quite a few forum regulars?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 08:53 - Nov 8 with 3580 viewsKeno

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 08:45 - Nov 8 by homer_123

I happen to know of two people who are regular 'news commentators' but will never venture to the forum.

To be fair to them, over the past year or so, I think we have lost quite a few forum regulars?

I think at times the board must seems quite intimating if you arent used it to, so much highly intelligent and well thought out debate.

perhaps we need to dumb it down a bit?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 3569 viewsNthQldITFC

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 06:24 - Nov 8 by Chondzoresk

The asteroid belt of TWTD.

It's at a Lagrange point between the forum and Twitter!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 09:01 - Nov 8 with 3546 viewsGuthrum

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 08:45 - Nov 8 by homer_123

There seem to be a fair number of spats and "pile-ons" in the news comments, too. Albeit more stilted (as constrained by the medium). Perhaps it just feels less personal and overwhelming.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 22:55 - Nov 8 with 3260 viewsbackinbeige

I can understand that.

I live in Brixton and usually make weekend plans with my wife, meaning I very rarely go to games. By the time I’ve gotten to a game and back it’s an eight/nine hour round trip so it’s not something you can do in an afternoon. Going to a game has been a once or twice a season as a treat for years, normally meeting up with my dad who’s still in North Essex.

I’ve been an Ipswich fan since I was around 10 years old, thanks to my dad. We’ve been going to our one game every season since then. One of my earliest Town memories is a pre season friendly at Roots Hall in the red Fisons kit, John Wark signed my programme. I was Bontcho Guenchev or Adrian Paz playing football in the back garden. God knows why I chose them when Mathie was banging them in. Our next door neighbour went out for the day and let us have his Sky Sports when we beat Barnsley 4-2 at Wembley. I remember screaming and rocking the car with dad when we rushed back one afternoon and heard on Sports Report that we had beaten Norwich 5-0. My voice must have been unbearably shrill, apologies to anyone in that car park.

I’ve got every home shirt for I don’t know how many seasons. I usually go to the London leg of the Supporter’s Club ‘On The Road’ fans meet and greet and one year drunkenly bought the autographed shirt in the charity auction, the year we got bombed out of the Championship. I suppose it’s notable.

My support for Town runs deep…

…but I’m really not well informed.

I follow TWTD and try to get the clips of goals etc on social media, but I haven’t found every piece of content and am not across every piece of news. It normally takes me by surprise when I discover someone is out of the team through injury.

I’ll stay across the scores, but often my phone will announce we’ve kicked off an evening game and I had no idea we were playing.

I don’t really know who is playing well and who isn’t.

Each summer I have to relearn the squad and starting 11, something I usually achieve by December.

My point is-
The forum can be hostile to anyone who doesn’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of Town. There can be a hierarchy on this forum, some require you to directly or indirectly prove the depth of your current knowledge to show that you are ‘the best fan’ and therefore your point is more valid. For some; anyone who doesn’t live and breathe ITFC doesn’t know what they’re talking about on any given point, and is discredited. “You didn’t know Dominic Ball had a muscle strain in September? Don’t talk to me about whether we should have a back five then.”

It’s not as bad as it used to be. I think a few people who used to go around shooting you down have gone. Maybe I was genuinely just an idiot in the past. But it can be an unwelcoming place for the ‘distant’ fan.

I usually read the football threads to keep up to date and keep my posts to whimsical or non football conversations so I don’t show up the fact that I’m not that well informed. For fear of scorn.

For some people (perhaps a minority), the biggest insult they can hurl is that you don’t know what you’re talking about because you don’t go to every game. It’s true, I don’t, so I mostly shut up.

So I get when you say in your post that there’s a perception you can be hounded and it’s cliquey. The forum has certainly improved recently, but I wouldn’t say that has been eliminated. I don’t have a GCSE in ITFC, I’ll always be learning.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 23:13]

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Login to get fewer ads

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 22:56 - Nov 8 with 3253 viewsbackinbeige

Whoops I wrote a massive post again

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 06:04 - Nov 9 with 3120 viewsPioneerBlue

I don’t understand a comment section to a news story when you have a forum. Pause, I don’t understand a comments section to a news story full stop. A news story isn’t written as a entry point for a conversation is it?, it’s presented as a record of what happened. If you have something to say about the focus of the story that’s for a forum, come here and the formatti with be the judge and jury of what you have to say.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 09:46 - Nov 9 with 2990 viewsBent_double

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 22:55 - Nov 8 by backinbeige

I can understand that.

I live in Brixton and usually make weekend plans with my wife, meaning I very rarely go to games. By the time I’ve gotten to a game and back it’s an eight/nine hour round trip so it’s not something you can do in an afternoon. Going to a game has been a once or twice a season as a treat for years, normally meeting up with my dad who’s still in North Essex.

I’ve been an Ipswich fan since I was around 10 years old, thanks to my dad. We’ve been going to our one game every season since then. One of my earliest Town memories is a pre season friendly at Roots Hall in the red Fisons kit, John Wark signed my programme. I was Bontcho Guenchev or Adrian Paz playing football in the back garden. God knows why I chose them when Mathie was banging them in. Our next door neighbour went out for the day and let us have his Sky Sports when we beat Barnsley 4-2 at Wembley. I remember screaming and rocking the car with dad when we rushed back one afternoon and heard on Sports Report that we had beaten Norwich 5-0. My voice must have been unbearably shrill, apologies to anyone in that car park.

I’ve got every home shirt for I don’t know how many seasons. I usually go to the London leg of the Supporter’s Club ‘On The Road’ fans meet and greet and one year drunkenly bought the autographed shirt in the charity auction, the year we got bombed out of the Championship. I suppose it’s notable.

I follow TWTD and try to get the clips of goals etc on social media, but I haven’t found every piece of content and am not across every piece of news. It normally takes me by surprise when I discover someone is out of the team through injury.

I’ll stay across the scores, but often my phone will announce we’ve kicked off an evening game and I had no idea we were playing.

Each summer I have to relearn the squad and starting 11, something I usually achieve by December.

My point is-
The forum can be hostile to anyone who doesn’t have an encyclopaedic knowledge of Town. There can be a hierarchy on this forum, some require you to directly or indirectly prove the depth of your current knowledge to show that you are ‘the best fan’ and therefore your point is more valid. For some; anyone who doesn’t live and breathe ITFC doesn’t know what they’re talking about on any given point, and is discredited. “You didn’t know Dominic Ball had a muscle strain in September? Don’t talk to me about whether we should have a back five then.”

It’s not as bad as it used to be. I think a few people who used to go around shooting you down have gone. Maybe I was genuinely just an idiot in the past. But it can be an unwelcoming place for the ‘distant’ fan.

I usually read the football threads to keep up to date and keep my posts to whimsical or non football conversations so I don’t show up the fact that I’m not that well informed. For fear of scorn.

For some people (perhaps a minority), the biggest insult they can hurl is that you don’t know what you’re talking about because you don’t go to every game. It’s true, I don’t, so I mostly shut up.

So I get when you say in your post that there’s a perception you can be hounded and it’s cliquey. The forum has certainly improved recently, but I wouldn’t say that has been eliminated. I don’t have a GCSE in ITFC, I’ll always be learning.

I'm similar, in a way, in that I don't see that many games (it's good old audio for me most of the time), so I don't feel it's right to comment on how players did or didn't do, so I stay out of those 'debates'

Even when I do watch games, I'm not one of those people who seem to have the ability to see everything as the game unfolds - for example, everyone's raving about Humphreys performance on Monday night, and I didn't really see it myself, but happy to accept the opinions of other, more knowledgeable fans.

I also tend to stay out of some of the more contentious debates, most of the time you can see how they're going, and people nowadays have their opinion about something and will argue it to death, never listening to an alternative pov, or be willing to change their mind...so what's the point?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 10:06 - Nov 9 with 2952 viewsXYZ

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 22:55 - Nov 8 by backinbeige

I can understand that.

My point is-

Yes, but cheese.
Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 10:07 - Nov 9 with 2941 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 10:06 - Nov 9 by XYZ

Yes, but cheese.

And battenberg....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 11:18 - Nov 9 with 2862 viewsusm

Its because you get absolutely lambasted on here if your views and opinions differ to certain others.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 11:27 - Nov 9 with 2819 viewsKeno

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 11:18 - Nov 9 by usm

Its because you get absolutely lambasted on here if your views and opinions differ to certain others.

That’s a ridiculous view!! No one would ever lambast you or belittle your opinions on here!!

Daft stupid post!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:31 - Nov 9 with 2793 viewsBloots

....the traffic issues on the M25, the poster was immediately called out for being anti-immigration.

This place is ridiculous sometimes and you can certainly see why people either won't post on here at all or are posting less and less.

It's not worth the bother sometimes.

It will end up with the usual suspects just shouting into their own little echo chamber and noshing each other off whilst they do so.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Ironically the loudest.... on 11:34 - Nov 9 with 2764 viewsBloots

I can understand that.

My point is-

....most aggressive and dismissive of posters on here don't even go to watch ITFC.

I doubt they even realise it's predominantly designed as a football forum.

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:42 - Nov 9 with 2731 viewsMattinLondon

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:31 - Nov 9 by Bloots

....the traffic issues on the M25, the poster was immediately called out for being anti-immigration.

This place is ridiculous sometimes and you can certainly see why people either won't post on here at all or are posting less and less.

It will end up with the usual suspects just shouting into their own little echo chamber and noshing each other off whilst they do so.

That’s ridiculous- posters can post what they want and as long as it’s not inflammatory in the sense of racist etc etc then you can say what you want.
A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:44 - Nov 9 with 2698 viewsStokieBlue

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:31 - Nov 9 by Bloots

Yet you and your little gang are the biggest bullies on this site, always there to enjoy the pile-on.

The cognitive dissonance is outstanding.

The fact that you stomp around pointing fingers at others and moaning about echo chambers whilst being one of the worst offenders is frankly incredible.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

If only that was the case Matt. (n/t) on 11:47 - Nov 9 with 2648 viewsBloots

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:42 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

That’s ridiculous- posters can post what they want and as long as it’s not inflammatory in the sense of racist etc etc then you can say what you want.

Ventured into the news comments on Phil’s match report on 11:49 - Nov 9 with 2629 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can understand that.

My point is-

That's interesting, as I don't recognise that 'elitist' behaviour around ITFC knowledge. It's pretty obvious none of us actually know what we're talking about! There are lots of people on here who don't go to games regularly either (I don't).

Obviously there are wrong-uns who think Mick's hoofball was good for us, but what can you do about lost causes, eh?

There can certainly be some hostility, but it tends to be on general threads more imo and only really involves a few characters (although to and fro rants can completely dominate and derail a thread, certainly).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:57 - Nov 9 with 2576 viewsusm

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:42 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

You can Matt, but its just not worth it.
I will occasionally put something on here just to get 'them' going, but I stay off most of the time nowadays.
Its definitely got a lot worse over the past couple of years.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

A thread was started this morning about.... on 12:05 - Nov 9 with 2537 viewsMattinLondon

A thread was started this morning about.... on 11:57 - Nov 9 by usm

You can Matt, but its just not worth it.
I will occasionally put something on here just to get 'them' going, but I stay off most of the time nowadays.
Its definitely got a lot worse over the past couple of years.

For ages I was put off the forum simply because of a few posters who were racist and throughly unpleasant. Think all have been banned now but a couple in particular were awful people - has to be said that one or two ‘respected’ posters who are still here regularly defended them.

But, as long as you don’t take this place too seriously or just switch off when someone acts like a bell end (and I include myself in this) then this forum shouldn’t cause anyone any upset.
If only that was the case Matt. (n/t) on 12:11 - Nov 9 with 2500 viewsMattinLondon

If only that was the case Matt. (n/t) on 11:47 - Nov 9 by Bloots

It is though. The past year there have been various spats over different issues from posters who disagree with one another. It makes for interesting debate and for an interesting read.

I do agree that such debate always tend to fall apart due to people getting too defensive or others getting too heated. But this happens in real life as well.

But, the argument that some use that ‘you can’t say something’s without being attacked’ is false and it’s lazy as well. Posters can post what they want but if they can’t argue their point or even wish to debate their point then they will simply come across as half-arsed.
So if someone posts about the traffic.... on 12:26 - Nov 9 with 2414 viewsBloots

If only that was the case Matt. (n/t) on 12:11 - Nov 9 by MattinLondon

It is though. The past year there have been various spats over different issues from posters who disagree with one another. It makes for interesting debate and for an interesting read.

I do agree that such debate always tend to fall apart due to people getting too defensive or others getting too heated. But this happens in real life as well.

But, the argument that some use that ‘you can’t say something’s without being attacked’ is false and it’s lazy as well. Posters can post what they want but if they can’t argue their point or even wish to debate their point then they will simply come across as half-arsed.

....on the M25 and the response is a dig at him about immigration how does that align with your statement that "you can’t say something’s without being attacked’ is false"?

"The traffic's bad today"

"Shut up you racist"

Where's the debate there?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024