Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walton 00:37 - Jan 15 with 1182 viewsquad

I'm not saying that Walton even had a particularly bad game, but what was he trying to do? He looked so nervous every time the ball came back to him. Didn't look comfortable at all with Plymouth playing the high press.

Somebody should tell him that he's a goalie in the first place because he wasn't good enough to play outfield on the pitch. He should realise that trying to take 2 or 3 touches or playing so many short passes is far too risky, not even sure a Sunday league goalkeeper would be taking as many risks as he was. Just invited pressure on himself and the defence, though admittedly he got away with it this time.

Obviously he wants to keep possession and play out from the back, but surely if he's not 100% confident in those situations he would be better just to put his foot through it and leather it up the field?

If he has a poor game or gets injured then it's a problem because he's pretty much undroppable. I don't think anyone has sufficient confidence in Hladky as a back up. It's the only position where we don't have decent cover.
Walton on 01:50 - Jan 15 with 1097 viewsGarv

Sorry, but this is such a simplistic view it's unreal.

Did you watch the times he 'just put his foot through it and leathered it up the field'? A number of times it rolled gently through to their keeper and that was that. Occasionally he floated it brilliantly to the feet of Ladapo, but that was never an easy pass at all.

You need to think about the way we play and how him playing short is pivotal to that. The only instance I would really criticise him for would be the one second half when he let Cosgrove get so close to him it could've ricocheted into the net. Otherwise, he was trying to just play the game plan.

It was telling that he got quite annoyed at how angsty the NS were getting at him. Our fans should know how we play these days, it's not really been a problem (the opposite actually). Just give some credit to the oppo.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Walton on 01:59 - Jan 15 with 1089 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

"Somebody should tell him that he's a goalie in the first place because he wasn't good enough to play outfield on the pitch."

you're a moron
Walton on 07:11 - Jan 15 with 951 viewsquad

Walton on 01:50 - Jan 15 by Garv

Sorry, but this is such a simplistic view it's unreal.

Did you watch the times he 'just put his foot through it and leathered it up the field'? A number of times it rolled gently through to their keeper and that was that. Occasionally he floated it brilliantly to the feet of Ladapo, but that was never an easy pass at all.

You need to think about the way we play and how him playing short is pivotal to that. The only instance I would really criticise him for would be the one second half when he let Cosgrove get so close to him it could've ricocheted into the net. Otherwise, he was trying to just play the game plan.

It was telling that he got quite annoyed at how angsty the NS were getting at him. Our fans should know how we play these days, it's not really been a problem (the opposite actually). Just give some credit to the oppo.

I understand that he was trying to play the gameplan. I understand that when he booted it upfield it just ran through to their keeper.

For me though Walton just looked really shaky when being closed down. So I'm just asking others views as to whether those tactics are the right ones, especially against better opposition? As it seems a very risky strategy?

You obviously think that him playing short is pivotal to how we play and that we have to accept the risks, which is fine.

I'm not necessarily saying it's wrong, I'm just more on the fence about it. Other than when he let Cosgrove get close to him there was also a short pass he played to a central defender which put the fear of god in me. I also noticed at one point Burgess went to pass the ball back to him and then thought better of it and turned the other way.
Walton on 07:21 - Jan 15 with 925 viewsquad

Walton on 01:59 - Jan 15 by Bury_St_Edmundson

"Somebody should tell him that he's a goalie in the first place because he wasn't good enough to play outfield on the pitch."

you're a moron

I said that in jest. If you can't see that then you're a bigger moron.
Walton on 07:47 - Jan 15 with 863 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"Just invited pressure on himself and the defence"

That's the whole point of it. Draw them in to free up space for other players and then hit them.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Walton on 08:49 - Jan 15 with 726 viewsDavoIPB

It was all about options for him. He didn't have any, they were marking all of our defenders and actually he did play some great balls out, especially to the midfield.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024