Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SW game - hotel accommodation sought 12:30 - Jan 20 with 2472 viewsfarkenhell

After a couple of false starts, I've finally been able to book tickets to take my son and (elderly) parents to the Sheffield Wednesday game on 11 February. My boy is 11 - it'll be his first trip to Mecca.

We'll be travelling a long way, so plan to stay overnight in Ipswich after the game, then travel back the following day. So, looking for a hotel, ideally where we can park and then walk to the game, and also eat in the evening at a pizza/burger place or such like within walking distance of the hotel. Thinking of the Premier Inn at the Waterfront - is this a good choice? Has anyone stayed there recently? I've never stayed overnight in Ipswich (always travelled to the match and back on the same day before) so any recommendations would be gratefully received. Needs to be fairly close to both the ground and eateries because both parents are no longer able to walk long distances.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:35 - Jan 20 with 2430 viewsSitfcB

Novotel…oh.

No, you can’t go wrong with a Premier Inn, the one on the one way system is an ideal location, has car parking as well, close to everything.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:36 - Jan 20 with 2427 viewsTractorCam

Premier Inn is ideal with it's own car park and walking distance to the waterfront with all the restaurants. I've never stayed there but that would be an ideal choice.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:38 - Jan 20 with 2419 viewsfarkenhell

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:35 - Jan 20 by SitfcB

Novotel…oh.

No, you can’t go wrong with a Premier Inn, the one on the one way system is an ideal location, has car parking as well, close to everything.

Thanks mate. I presume that is the Waterfront/Quayside one?
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:41 - Jan 20 with 2404 viewsSitfcB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:38 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

Yeah that’s the one!

COYB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 14:47 - Jan 20 with 2239 viewslongtimefan

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:36 - Jan 20 by TractorCam

Premier Inn is ideal with it's own car park and walking distance to the waterfront with all the restaurants. I've never stayed there but that would be an ideal choice.

Quite a few work colleagues have used it recently on visits to our offices and have no complaints.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 15:38 - Jan 20 with 2185 viewstractor_lady

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 12:38 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

Failing that the travel lodge is actually ok - pref the premier inn but as travel lodges go it’s half decent and in a good position too
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 16:43 - Jan 20 with 2139 viewsfarkenhell

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 15:38 - Jan 20 by tractor_lady

Failing that the travel lodge is actually ok - pref the premier inn but as travel lodges go it’s half decent and in a good position too

Thank you.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 16:55 - Jan 20 with 2125 viewsfarkenhell

An update - thanks everybody for your replies. The Premier Inn and the Travelodge at the Waterfront are both a bit steep price-wise (particularly because we'll need 2 rooms). There are two Premier Inns just off the A14, which would be handy because we'll be coming in from that direction. One is on the Old Hadleigh Road, the other in Claydon. Both are too far to walk to the ground though. Does anyone know whether either has any buses close by that run to and from the ground on match days? Or how much a taxi would cost? I'd rather avoid trying to park in town, particularly with a sell-out crowd.
Login to get fewer ads

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:16 - Jan 20 with 2065 viewsTractorgirlforever

I always stay at the mermaid, its perfect, free parking, 5 min walk to the ground and a marstons pub, the hotel is just across the carpark from the pub , its always clean and comfortable.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:22 - Jan 20 with 2050 viewsEdwardStone

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:16 - Jan 20 by Tractorgirlforever

I always stay at the mermaid, its perfect, free parking, 5 min walk to the ground and a marstons pub, the hotel is just across the carpark from the pub , its always clean and comfortable.

Seconded... I have only stayed there once, but I thought it was astonishing good value. Free parking, good beer and surprisingly tasty food.

Ok, it is a "chain" pub, but I would give it a seriously good recommendation
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:29 - Jan 20 with 2035 viewsfarkenhell

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:16 - Jan 20 by Tractorgirlforever

Thank you.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:47 - Jan 20 with 1998 viewstractor_lady

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:29 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

Thank you.

Or maybe try easy hotel in town centre.. small rooms but convenient
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:01 - Jan 20 with 1976 viewsbluelagos

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 16:55 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

An update - thanks everybody for your replies. The Premier Inn and the Travelodge at the Waterfront are both a bit steep price-wise (particularly because we'll need 2 rooms). There are two Premier Inns just off the A14, which would be handy because we'll be coming in from that direction. One is on the Old Hadleigh Road, the other in Claydon. Both are too far to walk to the ground though. Does anyone know whether either has any buses close by that run to and from the ground on match days? Or how much a taxi would cost? I'd rather avoid trying to park in town, particularly with a sell-out crowd.

The one near the Hadleigh Rd - could defo walk to the main rd (A1097) and pick up a bus.

The Colchester - Ipswich one goes in on that road as will the Hadleigh - Ipswich bus. Ipswich buses website will have the timetables / routes.

Times might be a bit infrequent but do they defo run Saturdays.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:38 - Jan 20 with 1927 viewsfarkenhell

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:01 - Jan 20 by bluelagos

The one near the Hadleigh Rd - could defo walk to the main rd (A1097) and pick up a bus.

The Colchester - Ipswich one goes in on that road as will the Hadleigh - Ipswich bus. Ipswich buses website will have the timetables / routes.

Times might be a bit infrequent but do they defo run Saturdays.

Thank you, I'll look that up.
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:42 - Jan 20 with 1903 viewshadleighboyblue

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:29 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

Thank you.

Agree the Mermaid is well positioned for a short walk to the ground and the food options are good , but no idea of the cost of rooms .

Of all the options , that would probably be your best bet .

Get to the ground early and visit the fans zone , lots going on there .
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 07:32 - Jan 21 with 1651 viewsTractorgirlforever

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:42 - Jan 20 by hadleighboyblue

Agree the Mermaid is well positioned for a short walk to the ground and the food options are good , but no idea of the cost of rooms .

Of all the options , that would probably be your best bet .

Get to the ground early and visit the fans zone , lots going on there .

You need to book early at the mermaid to get the best price, if uou leave it too late your looking around £100, but book early and you can get a room for £50. Ive got 3 bookings coming up for the mermaid in the next couple of months for home games and i paid around £70 for each .
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 08:32 - Jan 21 with 1574 viewstextbackup

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:38 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

do not eat in the mermaid, its absolutely bloody horrible. (and im far from a food snob!)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 08:42 - Jan 21 with 1552 viewstractor_lady

Easy hotel is £63 per room but unfortunately no parking. I would say about 20 min walk (but longer for your parents). It is in the town centre so plenty of places to eat.

The mermaid is your best bet but again would agree it’s not the best place to eat, I would eat on cardinal park which is a stones throw from the ground
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 08:48 - Jan 21 with 1540 viewsDinnernotTea

Pentahotel near Sir Bobby Robson Bridge is minutes from the ground and has parking. Have you tried there?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 09:45 - Jan 21 with 1477 viewsPinewoodblue

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 19:38 - Jan 20 by farkenhell

Premier Inn Hadleigh Road, drive to Park & Ride by Tesco catch bus to Town. Vintage Inn next door to Hotel. Alternatively Holiday Inn on London Road, catch 13 Bus on Scrivener Drive.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 22:11 - Jan 21 with 1339 viewsSitfcB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 09:45 - Jan 21 by Pinewoodblue

Premier Inn Hadleigh Road, drive to Park & Ride by Tesco catch bus to Town. Vintage Inn next door to Hotel. Alternatively Holiday Inn on London Road, catch 13 Bus on Scrivener Drive.

Yes, the Beagle, nice pub, tbf can even walk from there to get the 13 bus.

COYB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 22:12 - Jan 21 with 1336 viewsSitfcB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 08:32 - Jan 21 by textbackup

do not eat in the mermaid, its absolutely bloody horrible. (and im far from a food snob!)

Have heard it’s gone downhill?? Always used to be ok, obviously not Michelin stars but ok.

COYB

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 10:33 - Jan 22 with 1175 viewsEdwardStone

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 22:12 - Jan 21 by SitfcB

Have heard it’s gone downhill?? Always used to be ok, obviously not Michelin stars but ok.

I stayed there pre-covid

The food was surprisingly tasty in a laminated-menu kind of establishment

I had Hunter's Chicken iirc, that sticky bbq sauce hides a multitude of culinary sins.

Maybe they have changed their catering suppliers?

Bye bye Brake Bros, hello to Nasty Sid's Economy Meals
SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 18:09 - Jan 23 with 1000 viewsTractorgirlforever

SW game - hotel accommodation sought on 10:33 - Jan 22 by EdwardStone

I stayed there pre-covid

The food was surprisingly tasty in a laminated-menu kind of establishment

I had Hunter's Chicken iirc, that sticky bbq sauce hides a multitude of culinary sins.

Maybe they have changed their catering suppliers?

Bye bye Brake Bros, hello to Nasty Sid's Economy Meals

I eat at the mermaid before most games and the foods always been fine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024