Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 Nations 11:31 - Feb 3 with 3373 viewsclive_baker

Any other peanut huggers on here? I don't follow club rugby very closely but must admit I do love the internationals, especially 6 nations.

What do we think to England's chances under Borthwick?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

6 Nations on 12:55 - Feb 3 with 1267 viewsMattinLondon

6 Nations on 12:42 - Feb 3 by HARRY10

Why should it change. The games all sellout, and no one wants to risk being dumped out after a bad game or two.

The game has morphed into a freak show. With physique being more important than skill.

Where once it was case of you only being able to get tickets via a rugby club, it is now open to anyone who has the money....which will exclude a good many.

It is in danger of going down the route of the American version which is now no more than an over scripted costume drama, where the sponsors dictate pretty much what happens and men mince about in padded shoulders, make up and skin tight white trousers.

That haka is only tolerated because it brings a bit of 'character' to the performance. White men aping a culture they almost wiped out.

ElephantInTheRoom meet Harry, Harry meet ElephantInTheRoom, I believe you two will have a lot in common.

*Runs away from that room very quickly not wishing to return anytime soon.
6 Nations on 13:06 - Feb 3 with 1233 viewsDJR

6 Nations on 12:42 - Feb 3 by HARRY10

Why should it change. The games all sellout, and no one wants to risk being dumped out after a bad game or two.

The game has morphed into a freak show. With physique being more important than skill.

Where once it was case of you only being able to get tickets via a rugby club, it is now open to anyone who has the money....which will exclude a good many.

It is in danger of going down the route of the American version which is now no more than an over scripted costume drama, where the sponsors dictate pretty much what happens and men mince about in padded shoulders, make up and skin tight white trousers.

That haka is only tolerated because it brings a bit of 'character' to the performance. White men aping a culture they almost wiped out.

Speaking as someone who played rugby as a schoolboy to quite a decent level, and having a son who recently played school rugby, I tend to agree about your description of rugby becoming a freak show.

My son had the height and build to be fairly decent himself, but didn't really have the enthusiasm, and I am really glad that he didn't because youngsters these days not only have greater size than in my day but also supplement this with weight training, which in my view makes the game much more dangerous than when I played it.
6 Nations on 13:12 - Feb 3 with 1210 viewsSaleAway

6 Nations on 13:06 - Feb 3 by DJR

Speaking as someone who played rugby as a schoolboy to quite a decent level, and having a son who recently played school rugby, I tend to agree about your description of rugby becoming a freak show.

My son had the height and build to be fairly decent himself, but didn't really have the enthusiasm, and I am really glad that he didn't because youngsters these days not only have greater size than in my day but also supplement this with weight training, which in my view makes the game much more dangerous than when I played it.

Yeah, I think a lot of the problem was the increase in substitutions... allowing players to bulk up massively, knowing that they only have to play for 60 minutes. Unfortunately, that genie is now out of the bottle, so I'm not sure how you can resolve that. They are changing the tackle laws, but really, they need to depower the game, and I'm not sure there's an easy way to do that.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

6 Nations on 13:15 - Feb 3 with 1207 viewsDarth_Koont

6 Nations on 11:43 - Feb 3 by The_Romford_Blue

A decent judge in the industry has talked me into having £300 on No team to win the Grand Slam. The way the fixtures work out, it’s pretty much a case of it being Ireland yes or no. Can trade out if necessary halfway through and minimise damage should they beat the French

I think it’s as open as it’s ever been for the title so a non-Grand Slam looks a good bet. And increasingly we’re seeing that any of the teams, even Italy against Wales last year, can beat anyone else on a given day.

It’s also a World Cup year and a few coaches, while not experimenting wholesale, may find themselves trying out different players to fill specific gaps and generally add to their weaponry. The World Cup preparation will certainly be a factor anyway.

Ireland should be favourites with France just behind. Then any of England, Wales and Scotland could get enough right to be in the hunt.

Pronouns: He/Him

6 Nations on 13:20 - Feb 3 with 1208 viewsFtnfwest

Used to enjoy it but got a bit disinterested when they kept introducing rules to stop England winning. No idea of the rules now tbh but tend to watch World Cup games and that's about it. Out of the blue this year i've been invited to England v France so looking forward to that. Seen an autumn international before (v SA) but not 5 or 6 nations.
6 Nations on 13:53 - Feb 3 with 1159 viewsclive_baker

6 Nations on 12:01 - Feb 3 by ScotBlue

Don't underestimate us Scots in this match. The team will be well up for this especially given their recent results against the auld Enemy. Townsend for all his faults has selected a very clever team for this match and with England in transition I think we will be keeping hold of the Calcutta Cup.

I've seen enough England v Scotland games to know not to underestimate Scotland, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I do think home advantage will see us over the line on this occasion though. Should be a good game.

6 Nations on 13:58 - Feb 3 with 1137 viewsclive_baker

6 Nations on 13:20 - Feb 3 by Ftnfwest

Used to enjoy it but got a bit disinterested when they kept introducing rules to stop England winning. No idea of the rules now tbh but tend to watch World Cup games and that's about it. Out of the blue this year i've been invited to England v France so looking forward to that. Seen an autumn international before (v SA) but not 5 or 6 nations.

I like the Autumn internationals but they feel like glorified friendlies to me, whereas the 6 nations has a real intensity to it both by way of atmosphere and the game itself. Think the opposition / historic rivalries play into that too.

6 Nations on 14:02 - Feb 3 with 1132 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

6 Nations on 12:07 - Feb 3 by SaleAway

Who is the footballing equivalent of Farrell? Despised by most of the fans, and yet beloved of coaches and other players.

I'm thinking maybe Jordan Henderson.

Jordan Henderson?! Bloody hell man.
Login to get fewer ads

6 Nations on 14:42 - Feb 3 with 1102 viewsFtnfwest

6 Nations on 13:58 - Feb 3 by clive_baker

I like the Autumn internationals but they feel like glorified friendlies to me, whereas the 6 nations has a real intensity to it both by way of atmosphere and the game itself. Think the opposition / historic rivalries play into that too.

the one i went to was the one that we lost 10-9 i think in pouring rain. Seconds left and england piling on - robshaw took a penalty chance instead of putting one in the corner to go fro a push over try. Was relying on a fumble from the restart which there was just time for but of course didn't happen (2012 i think)
6 Nations on 14:59 - Feb 3 with 1088 viewsBlueandTruesince82

England unknown.

Ireland, possibly the best team in the world ATM

Wales, expect resurgence under Gatland.

France, who knows, could be win it, could wooden spoon it but probably won't wooden spoon because....

Scotland, were improving but that seems to have plateaued

Italy, well its Italy innit and whilst a couple of improving performances have been put out recently we've seen them before only for the real Italy to turn up at any tournament

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

6 Nations on 15:06 - Feb 3 with 1060 viewsclive_baker

6 Nations on 11:43 - Feb 3 by The_Romford_Blue

A decent judge in the industry has talked me into having £300 on No team to win the Grand Slam. The way the fixtures work out, it’s pretty much a case of it being Ireland yes or no. Can trade out if necessary halfway through and minimise damage should they beat the French

What odds did you get on that? Grand slams happen on average about 50% of the time I think, but this year Ireland do look particularly strong, and they have France in Ireland which for me actually makes them more of a Yes than a No.

6 Nations on 15:11 - Feb 3 with 1057 viewsDJR

6 Nations on 13:15 - Feb 3 by Darth_Koont

I think it’s as open as it’s ever been for the title so a non-Grand Slam looks a good bet. And increasingly we’re seeing that any of the teams, even Italy against Wales last year, can beat anyone else on a given day.

It’s also a World Cup year and a few coaches, while not experimenting wholesale, may find themselves trying out different players to fill specific gaps and generally add to their weaponry. The World Cup preparation will certainly be a factor anyway.

Ireland should be favourites with France just behind. Then any of England, Wales and Scotland could get enough right to be in the hunt.

Ireland are amazing given they don't have the same rugby heritage as Wales and don't have hurling, gaelic football or soccer players to call on.

I don't know the real reason for their success, but I wonder if the fact that the teams are based on the historic provinces plays a part because it gives their teams more intensity than, say, the Scottish teams which are rather detached from their surroundings.

Having said this, Wales have been more successful in terms of 6 Nations etc, even though I think Ireland have been the better team over the last 15 odd years.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 15:13]
6 Nations on 15:16 - Feb 3 with 1050 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

6 Nations on 15:06 - Feb 3 by clive_baker

What odds did you get on that? Grand slams happen on average about 50% of the time I think, but this year Ireland do look particularly strong, and they have France in Ireland which for me actually makes them more of a Yes than a No.

Evens. I’d go around 11/8 with these fixtures if it was me pricing

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

6 Nations on 15:20 - Feb 3 with 1039 viewsclive_baker

6 Nations on 15:16 - Feb 3 by The_Romford_Blue

Evens. I’d go around 11/8 with these fixtures if it was me pricing

I would say these fixtures make it more likely rather than less. If Ireland could choose which 2 they have at home and which 2 away they would probably pick it like this.

*excluding Italy as Ireland will beat them wherever they play.

6 Nations on 16:19 - Feb 3 with 988 viewsEireannach_gorm

6 Nations on 12:00 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

For all of unions banging on about a sport that is built on respect (plus having an almighty chip on its shoulder in regards to football) it doesn’t seem to do a lot to encourage smaller nations or even make it more assessed in schools.

In comparison, nations like San Marino and Gibraltar can play in the major competitions.

Participate.
6 Nations on 16:32 - Feb 3 with 983 viewsEireannach_gorm

Professional rugby has destroyed the amateur game. As has bringing in rugby league coaches. This brought in the higher tackle to dispossess the carrier. Tackling above the waist should be outlawed and then the head to head contact would be eliminated. The game now is far too attritional and there is no room for ordinary physiques. These are the views of someone who played in the era that allowed me play on a team with my dad!
6 Nations on 16:40 - Feb 3 with 957 viewsclive_baker

I always found it interesting at Uni, I was in the football team and the Rugby lot always derided the footballers and the game more generally for the diving, playacting etc and often took a moral high ground, rugby being a mans game and all that. Curiously it was always the rugby players posing in the gym mirror though, and I had to laugh when a friend of mine who was in the rugby team told me that they regularly took team visits to the tanning salon.

6 Nations on 21:22 - Feb 3 with 892 viewsCraigIT

I love Rugby. Both codes. Ireland will win it.
6 Nations on 10:04 - Feb 4 with 813 viewsDJR

6 Nations on 16:40 - Feb 3 by clive_baker

I always found it interesting at Uni, I was in the football team and the Rugby lot always derided the footballers and the game more generally for the diving, playacting etc and often took a moral high ground, rugby being a mans game and all that. Curiously it was always the rugby players posing in the gym mirror though, and I had to laugh when a friend of mine who was in the rugby team told me that they regularly took team visits to the tanning salon.

I must admit I've never really found the rugger-b*gger culture especially appealing.
6 Nations on 10:39 - Feb 4 with 788 viewsRadlett_blue

6 Nations on 16:32 - Feb 3 by Eireannach_gorm

Professional rugby has destroyed the amateur game. As has bringing in rugby league coaches. This brought in the higher tackle to dispossess the carrier. Tackling above the waist should be outlawed and then the head to head contact would be eliminated. The game now is far too attritional and there is no room for ordinary physiques. These are the views of someone who played in the era that allowed me play on a team with my dad!

Indeed, many parents now don't want their kids to play contact rugby given the impact risk. The derided RFU at least realised that the game could be set for a slow extinction unless they did something about tackling. However clumsy they were, doing nothing wasn't a realistic option.
Has Rugby League been in the frame over concussion etc? It seems to involve at least as much tackling as Union.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024