Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ChatGPT 21:46 - Feb 3 with 8073 viewsTresBonne

Anyone heard of it/uses it often?

My lads' just shown me how it's been doing half his school work for him. Unbelievable!
ChatGPT on 14:05 - Feb 28 with 1122 viewsArgyle_blue

ChatGPT on 13:49 - Feb 28 by DanTheMan

I am, yes. I'm not at all threatened by it.

It could be used in the future to right essentially what I put above, snippets. I could give it very strict parameters and get it to write a block of code for something that is not all that important like reversing a binary tree. Basically, well-known problems with well-known solutions that you could write for the fifteenth time but are not worth your time. There was actually already something doing this that is similar to ChatGPT called GitHub Co-pilot which is aimed specifically at doing what I mentioned above.

Even without these tools, they are usually only a short Google away.

What these tools can't really do yet is work out any sort of context. Once you move into Senior and above roles as a software engineer the job is much less about writing tonnes of code and much more about architecting systems and understanding the domain (e.g. Banking) in which you're writing and how that translates into reliable and maintainable software.

Super interesting. That’s basically what was being said in the bottom line programme yesterday.
An interesting listen. I’m a psychologist and like you not worried. Context is always the key.
ChatGPT on 15:11 - Feb 28 with 1054 viewsRobTheMonk

If you want to learn, then its capabilities are huge.

However, it's also going to be abused; that's inevitable. I've already seen posts popping up on Reddit about people using ChatGPT to write coursework etc.

I know the publishing industry has seen a huge influx of ai books trying to get published. No surprise when there's thousands of Youtuber's saying do this (and other things) to make money. Same with the ai art generators. You only have to look at some of the print on demand services to see how an already saturated market has gone crazy with an influx of ai designs.

I use an ai art generator to get images for my blog and then edit them into something I like and make them a little more refined. I can't draw or design for toffee, but it's amazing seeing an idea I've formed in my head come to life. It encouraged me to play around with photo editing software and learn new skills.

But those that want to learn will use it as an addition and not as a replacement to learning.

You can give a man a knife, some will stab you, others will chop vegetables which will lead them into learning how to cook. Crap analogy, I know, but you get the idea.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 20:58]
ChatGPT on 15:17 - Feb 28 with 1049 viewsKropotkin123

ChatGPT on 07:49 - Feb 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Evidence from my daughter's A level cohort suggests that it is replacing thinking. I am happy it is of assistance to you.
On a side note do you see deep fake as a tool with some benefits too?
I fear we are losing ourselves in technology rather than being made more complete through it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/26/chatgpt-

Your daughter? Or an article in the Guardian? Evidently from the article, the mistakes it generates demonstrate that you need to understand the output before using it as a blueprint.

It certainly isn't at a level to replace mildly complex crochet patterns.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

ChatGPT on 19:00 - Feb 28 with 968 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ChatGPT on 15:17 - Feb 28 by Kropotkin123

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/26/chatgpt-

Your daughter? Or an article in the Guardian? Evidently from the article, the mistakes it generates demonstrate that you need to understand the output before using it as a blueprint.

It certainly isn't at a level to replace mildly complex crochet patterns.

Definitely my daughter thanks.
Some interesting responses since this morning.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

ChatGPT on 22:51 - Feb 28 with 910 viewseireblue

ChatGPT on 19:00 - Feb 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Definitely my daughter thanks.
Some interesting responses since this morning.

It is okay Bankstie, I have asked….someone to help you with this…they said

You could say something like this to reassure BanksterDebtSlave:

"ChatGPT is an AI language model trained by OpenAI to assist people in generating human-like text based on input prompts. Its purpose is to help users with various tasks, such as answering questions, providing advice, or generating creative ideas. ChatGPT has the potential to benefit society by making information more accessible, improving communication, and facilitating innovation.

While some may have concerns about the impact of AI on society, it's important to remember that ChatGPT is just a tool, and its use depends on how people choose to use it. OpenAI has made efforts to ensure that ChatGPT is used ethically and responsibly, and its capabilities are constantly being improved to better serve society.

Ultimately, the goal of ChatGPT is to enhance human capabilities and make our lives easier, and it's up to us to use it for positive purposes. So, there's no need to worry about ChatGPT - it's a helpful tool that can be used for good."

So err, that’s what they said, so hopefully you are okay with that now.
ChatGPT on 20:19 - Mar 1 with 855 viewsPlums

It doesn't know everything...

The Pride of Anglia is a title given to the football club that is considered to be the best in the region of East Anglia, which includes the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, and Cambridgeshire in England.

There are several football clubs in East Anglia, but traditionally, the title of Pride of Anglia has been contested between two teams: Norwich City and Ipswich Town.

Norwich City has been the more successful of the two clubs in recent years, having played in the Premier League and reached the FA Cup semi-finals in 2021. However, Ipswich Town has a strong history, having won the UEFA Cup in 1981 and competed in the Premier League in the 2000s.

Ultimately, the decision of which club is the Pride of Anglia is a matter of personal opinion and can vary depending on factors such as recent form, historical achievements, and fan loyalty.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

ChatGPT on 17:59 - Mar 5 with 755 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ChatGPT on 08:53 - Feb 4 by Mullet

I've been using it for some time to try and help other teachers and students. Found a few very useful ways it can be applied to the classroom and revision.

This week I generated 2 different answers to an essay question, the AI can structure responses well, but can't evaluate or apply specific examples. Showing this to the kids helps them as they get confidence from adding in specific knowledge, they often don't know how to write well, so seeing the structure helps a lot.

For revision, it's a great tool to generate material students can then appraise and correct to build confidence. It also allows them to do some high order thinking and decide how true the statements are and how to order them.

Case in point Mullet.....Junior has her mocks next week and there are 3 sittings of the same exam so that she takes one of them tomorrow and another group take it 24 hrs later. Obviously some of them will get the questions the day before have a chat with GPT and have essays written for them to parrot out. I fail to see how this is of any use to anyone and encourages a race to the bottom.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

ChatGPT on 18:59 - Mar 5 with 705 viewsMullet

ChatGPT on 17:59 - Mar 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Case in point Mullet.....Junior has her mocks next week and there are 3 sittings of the same exam so that she takes one of them tomorrow and another group take it 24 hrs later. Obviously some of them will get the questions the day before have a chat with GPT and have essays written for them to parrot out. I fail to see how this is of any use to anyone and encourages a race to the bottom.

Well, it'd be remiss of me to criticise another school for putting on 3 sittings without changing the paper, but that shows the pressure mocks put on us in part.

The idea that kids who need to cheat won't is naïve at best, they always will. A decent teacher will know their students well enough to know that the writing isn't there own. That assumes the students who do cheat are a)strong enough to regurgitate an essay word for word (rote learning is so alien these days it's far less likely to stick) b) they'd be capable of discerning how good at Chatbot essay is.

Most likely they'd be able to remember key details to hang their arguments on. That isn't too different from reading the revision guide the night before.

The biggest issue is kids sharing the questions which is less to do with AI. But likewise that doesn't mean that schools and the whole system isn't left antiquated and needs to update yesterday. AI is just another tool for people to use and a few will use it well, most badly and the results will be mixed anyway.

Every generation believes the next challenge to orthodoxy will be "a race to the bottom" etc. but evidently that just doesn't happen. The limitations of AI at this point is a bit like worrying someone might sneak answers or equations on their skin like Grange Hill meets Memento etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

ChatGPT on 19:06 - Mar 5 with 693 viewsBluesky

My forty year old dyslexic son find it invaluable. Saves him so much time getting the more important aspects of his work done.
ChatGPT on 19:08 - Mar 5 with 682 viewsSwansea_Blue

ChatGPT on 18:59 - Mar 5 by Mullet

Well, it'd be remiss of me to criticise another school for putting on 3 sittings without changing the paper, but that shows the pressure mocks put on us in part.

The idea that kids who need to cheat won't is naïve at best, they always will. A decent teacher will know their students well enough to know that the writing isn't there own. That assumes the students who do cheat are a)strong enough to regurgitate an essay word for word (rote learning is so alien these days it's far less likely to stick) b) they'd be capable of discerning how good at Chatbot essay is.

Most likely they'd be able to remember key details to hang their arguments on. That isn't too different from reading the revision guide the night before.

The biggest issue is kids sharing the questions which is less to do with AI. But likewise that doesn't mean that schools and the whole system isn't left antiquated and needs to update yesterday. AI is just another tool for people to use and a few will use it well, most badly and the results will be mixed anyway.

Every generation believes the next challenge to orthodoxy will be "a race to the bottom" etc. but evidently that just doesn't happen. The limitations of AI at this point is a bit like worrying someone might sneak answers or equations on their skin like Grange Hill meets Memento etc.

Because they’re only cheating themselves, is it really that big an issue anyway? They won’t be able to duplicate this in real exams, so leave them to it and let the screw up if they can’t be arsed to put the work in. (Maybe that’s not so easy for you teachers to accept- professional pride an all that). As you say, it’s going to happen one way or another.

ChatGPT is starting to be banned in Unis now in some contexts (I’m not entirely sure what; I think it’s around coursework but could be wrong). For all the effort going into these chat bots, there’s an equal amount going into software to spot people who’ve used them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

ChatGPT on 20:45 - Mar 24 with 498 viewsTractorFrog

ChatGPT's review of the Ipswich Town 2022/23 season:

Sure, here's a review of Ipswich Town's 2022/23 season:

Ipswich Town's 2022/23 season was one of mixed fortunes, with some memorable highs and disappointing lows. Despite a promising start to the season, the team struggled to find consistency and ultimately finished in a mid-table position.

One of the key moments of the season came in the opening game, where Ipswich Town secured a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Sunderland. This set the tone for the early part of the season, with the team showing good form and picking up a number of impressive wins.

However, as the season progressed, the team began to struggle with injuries and a lack of depth in key areas. This led to a number of frustrating defeats and draws, with the team struggling to maintain momentum and build a sustained run of form.

Despite these challenges, there were still some standout performers throughout the season. Here are the top three players for Ipswich Town during the 2022/23 season:

1. Andre Dozzell - The midfielder was a key player for Ipswich Town throughout the season, providing creativity and drive in the middle of the park. He scored several important goals and was consistently one of the team's best performers.

2. Gwion Edwards - The winger was another standout player for Ipswich Town, contributing several goals and assists throughout the season. His pace and skill on the ball were a constant threat to opposing defenses, and he was a key part of the team's attacking play.

3. Toto Nsiala - The central defender was a rock at the heart of the Ipswich Town defense, putting in a number of strong performances throughout the season. He was a dominant presence in the air and showed good awareness and positioning on the ground.

While Ipswich Town's 2022/23 season may not have lived up to all expectations, there were still some positive moments and standout performances from key players. With the right additions and improvements in the upcoming transfer window, the team will be hoping to build on these positives and achieve greater success in the future.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

ChatGPT on 22:18 - Mar 24 with 455 viewspedrail

ChatGPT on 20:19 - Mar 1 by Plums

It doesn't know everything...

The Pride of Anglia is a title given to the football club that is considered to be the best in the region of East Anglia, which includes the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, and Cambridgeshire in England.

There are several football clubs in East Anglia, but traditionally, the title of Pride of Anglia has been contested between two teams: Norwich City and Ipswich Town.

Norwich City has been the more successful of the two clubs in recent years, having played in the Premier League and reached the FA Cup semi-finals in 2021. However, Ipswich Town has a strong history, having won the UEFA Cup in 1981 and competed in the Premier League in the 2000s.

Ultimately, the decision of which club is the Pride of Anglia is a matter of personal opinion and can vary depending on factors such as recent form, historical achievements, and fan loyalty.

ChatGPT-generated conversation between Ipswich Town fan and Norwich City fan:

Ipswich Town fan: “Hey, how’s it going?” Norwich City fan: “Good, thanks. How about you?” Ipswich Town fan: “Not too bad. I’m just glad we’re not in League One anymore.” Norwich City fan: “Yeah, I bet. But we’re doing pretty well in the Championship this season.” Ipswich Town fan: “Yeah, but you guys always seem to choke when it comes to the playoffs.” Norwich City fan: “Hey, at least we’ve made it to the playoffs. When was the last time Ipswich did that?” Ipswich Town fan: “Fair point. But we’ve got a new manager now and things are looking up.” Norwich City fan: “We’ll see about that. I think we’re going to beat you guys in the next derby.” Ipswich Town fan: “Ha! You wish. We’re going to crush you like we always do.”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024