Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little Robson era treat for y’all 18:03 - Feb 19 with 2219 viewsKeno

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 18:24 - Feb 19 with 2127 viewsSharkey

Toni Schumacher
Bernd Cullmann, Herbert Zimmermann, Harald Konopka, Dieter Prestin
Rainer Bonhof, René Botteron, Stephan Engels, Pierre Littbarski
Dieter Müller, Tony Woodcock

Manager: Rinus Michels

(I think Pierre Littbarski is my all-time favourite footballer's name.)
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 18:49 - Feb 19 with 2063 viewsBluespeed225

A monumental performance considering the schedule they were in and the weekend we’d just had. Kevin Steggles putting a shift in , a great Cruyff turn by Mills , crucial saves from Cooper, Brazil full of running, and the two Bobby’s looking chuffed and proud. Magnificent.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:05 - Feb 19 with 2017 viewsKeno

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 18:49 - Feb 19 by Bluespeed225

A monumental performance considering the schedule they were in and the weekend we’d just had. Kevin Steggles putting a shift in , a great Cruyff turn by Mills , crucial saves from Cooper, Brazil full of running, and the two Bobby’s looking chuffed and proud. Magnificent.

That was sum performance and result!

Hopefully some poster#who were there can give us some memories

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:48 - Feb 19 with 1951 viewsColin_Viljoen

Memories....
My mate telling us he had just had the car fully serviced & checked as it overheated driving onto the ferry at Felixstowe.
Getting a beer in Mcdonalds
Going to a nightclub & being given a sticker card & not paying for anything until you left the club.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:53 - Feb 19 with 1934 viewsmonkeymagic

I listened to the match on medium wave radio, the reception coming and going not doing much for my nerves. When Butch scored, my reaction was to run up and down the stairs screaming. TWTD.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 23:23 - Feb 19 with 1698 viewsLowroadBlue

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:53 - Feb 19 by monkeymagic

I listened to the match on medium wave radio, the reception coming and going not doing much for my nerves. When Butch scored, my reaction was to run up and down the stairs screaming. TWTD.

I was there.
Great day in Cologne before the match,
Great support from the Ipswich fans , the amount of Town fans were swelled by a lot of squadies which were stationed locally.
There was some fighting between them and the Germans after the game.
I remember getting off the coach in a long avenue which had tall trees down both sides, thought we would easily find our coach not realising there were several identical avenues. Spent alot of time going up and down the avenues! We were last ones back on the coach just in time as the coach was leaving for the ship.
Great result against a very good Cologne team.
Great days.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 01:49 - Feb 20 with 1609 viewsParisBlue

Cracking kit - matching blue shirts, shorts and socks

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 01:58 - Feb 20 with 1606 viewsIllinoisblue

Bobby and Bobby smiling and celebrating on that weird little bench always makes me smile

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 07:22 - Feb 20 with 1461 viewsSharkey

These highlights go quite a long way to answering the question that was asked here a week or two ago: "what sort of player was Alan Brazil?" A lot of people mentioned his coolness in front of goal, but look at the strength of the man all over the pitch!
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 11:37 - Feb 20 with 1302 viewsfarkenhell

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 18:24 - Feb 19 by Sharkey

Toni Schumacher
Bernd Cullmann, Herbert Zimmermann, Harald Konopka, Dieter Prestin
Rainer Bonhof, René Botteron, Stephan Engels, Pierre Littbarski
Dieter Müller, Tony Woodcock

Manager: Rinus Michels

(I think Pierre Littbarski is my all-time favourite footballer's name.)

That was one hell of a side. I knew that Woodcock played for them, but not the many other internationals and the world-famous manager. Similar to St. Etienne in the previous round.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 11:52 - Feb 20 with 1278 viewsnoggin

Sitting in the ballroom at Pontins, listening on the wireless, decked in blue and white. TWTD.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 12:39 - Feb 20 with 1229 viewsnorfsufblue

Brilliant might ,I was there, what a side that was, we really should have had the treble that year... just needed a couple more Steve McCalls in the club and I'm sure we would have too. I was at Middlesbrough and Maine Road and I honestly can't believe how we managed to lose both.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 12:45 - Feb 20 with 1207 viewsfarkenhell

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 12:39 - Feb 20 by norfsufblue

Brilliant might ,I was there, what a side that was, we really should have had the treble that year... just needed a couple more Steve McCalls in the club and I'm sure we would have too. I was at Middlesbrough and Maine Road and I honestly can't believe how we managed to lose both.

I think the cup semi-final was at Villa Park? Apart from that, you are right. We had by far the best side, but didn't have the depth in the squad, and we ended up with players having to play with injuries.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 13:43 - Feb 20 with 1143 viewsSharkey

Looking at the fixtures, I'm a bit surprised at who was in it. FIVE West German teams (and three East German). Only two Italian, - the two Turin clubs. Two French. Wolves and Manchester United went out in the first round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980%E2%80%9381_UEFA_Cup
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 14:00 - Feb 20 with 1109 viewsnorfsufblue

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 12:45 - Feb 20 by farkenhell

I think the cup semi-final was at Villa Park? Apart from that, you are right. We had by far the best side, but didn't have the depth in the squad, and we ended up with players having to play with injuries.

Apologies of course it was Villa Park....Maine Rd was their ground which I foolishly stated.... That free kick was like being punched very hard in the guts....
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 14:06 - Feb 20 with 1104 viewsmonty_radio

I've just looked up that Cologne team's international caps

Toni Schumacher 76
Bernd Cullmann 40, Herbert Zimmermann 14, Harald Konopka 2, Dieter Prestin 0
Rainer Bonhof 53, René Botteron 65, Stephan Engels 8, Pierre Littbarski 73
Dieter Müller 12, Tony Woodcock 42

Combined total of caps 385

Combined total of that Town line-up 242 TWTD!

Both Littbarski and Butcher, with a similar number of caps, were at the very start of their careers then, but the others in the Cologne team were already well-established stars so the experience of Cologne was even greater proportionately than those final International career-figure stats suggest.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 15:50]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:20 - Feb 20 with 890 viewsVic

Got away with a few bits of poor defending didn’t we!

Our 3rd division defenders would get absolutely slaughtered on here if they gave away 3 free headers like that!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:27 - Feb 20 with 881 viewsBluespeed225

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:20 - Feb 20 by Vic

Got away with a few bits of poor defending didn’t we!

Our 3rd division defenders would get absolutely slaughtered on here if they gave away 3 free headers like that!

I think the 5 games in 10 days, plus the extra time of the Man City game, plus the travelling, was a factor, so I’ll let them off! Beattie gone, Thijssen not seen again till the Final, Gates off after 10 minutes against Arsenal. It was beginning to take its toll.
A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:30 - Feb 20 with 875 viewsVic

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 14:00 - Feb 20 by norfsufblue

Apologies of course it was Villa Park....Maine Rd was their ground which I foolishly stated.... That free kick was like being punched very hard in the guts....

But we just knew Paul Power would score didn’t we! I was right behind the goal - an absolute gut wrencher.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 20:19 - Feb 20 with 813 viewsmonty_radio

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:30 - Feb 20 by Vic

But we just knew Paul Power would score didn’t we! I was right behind the goal - an absolute gut wrencher.

Yeah - the SBR proudly proclaims that Bobby signed only 13 players, but the thinness of the squad overtook us in the end, didn't it? We were so much better than Villa, playing football they weren't capable of, but that squad limitation, doubtless an indication of our smallness as a club, did for us in the end. Gut-wrenching indeed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 20:20 - Feb 20 with 813 viewsnorfsufblue

A little Robson era treat for y’all on 19:30 - Feb 20 by Vic

Half time at Middlesbrough seemed like we were going to get our just reward in the league too..... couldn't see anyway we were losing that with Villa 2 down at Arsenal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024