Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist 14:13 - Mar 2 with 11403 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436

Assuming we're allowed to talk about this now the case has finished, finding her guilty seems harsh to me, let alone 3 years of prison. Partially sighted person gets cross at a cyclist on a pavement.... except no one seems to know if its a pavement or shared track. Isn;t the council ultimately at fault?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:13 - May 8 with 358 viewsVegtablue

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 14:45 - Mar 10 by giant_stow

"The shared path is important when talking about making our roads/pavements safer for everyone and for lessons learnt, but it doesn't really affect the judgement."

This is a point about road planning policy, not this legal case, followed by an assertion.

"This was, I think, a shared path for cyclists and pedestrians that allowed them to go around the busy ring road. The vital point is this: I am sure you knew cyclists used that path and you were not taken by surprise or in fear for your safety."

How does the judge *know* its a shared path, when the council can't say for certain?
How does the judge *know* what the pedestrian knows and where's the allowance for the learning disability for that matter? More assertions made without proper basis leading to a conviction - so much for beyond all reasonable doubt.

"It wouldn't matter even if technically the cyclist was in the wrong and shouldn't have been cycling there, the unacceptable reaction of the pedestrian towards the cyclist still lead to their death."

This is another opinion which is based on the previous opinions which have been mistaken as fact. I question if her reaction was unacceptable given her conditions and also question whether her actions were the cause of death (with the road layout and cyclist ability being the other causes).

"How does the judge *know* its a shared path, when the council can't say for certain? How does the judge *know* what the pedestrian knows and where's the allowance for the learning disability for that matter?"

The judge is sufficiently satisfied to have made these assertions, so one would hope both are beyond reasonable doubt. It shouldn't be difficult to establish her familiarity with the path, nor its typical usage. Is it rather assumption on your part that the judge has speculated here, or are you very familiar with the case? Without knowing so, my hunch would be that this path forms part of her regular shopping route.

Having viewed the footage, I'm not surprised by the eye-witness account. It's difficult to establish if contact is made because that part of the encounter is just out of shot, but I don't think contact is required for the cyclist to have recoiled and lost balance. All very sad, and her subsequent actions won't have helped her.
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:32 - May 8 with 310 viewsSwansea_Blue

“leading her family to call for "lessons to be learnt", saying that vulnerable people needed better support from the justice system”.

Interesting take. Does that imply the judge doesn’t believe an innocent 77 year old on a bike is vulnerable when up against 1.5 tonnes of cold, hard steel moving at speed? I bet the victim’s family are furious that they haven’t had support from the justice system.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:32 - May 8 with 309 viewsLeaky

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:13 - May 8 by Vegtablue

"How does the judge *know* its a shared path, when the council can't say for certain? How does the judge *know* what the pedestrian knows and where's the allowance for the learning disability for that matter?"

The judge is sufficiently satisfied to have made these assertions, so one would hope both are beyond reasonable doubt. It shouldn't be difficult to establish her familiarity with the path, nor its typical usage. Is it rather assumption on your part that the judge has speculated here, or are you very familiar with the case? Without knowing so, my hunch would be that this path forms part of her regular shopping route.

Having viewed the footage, I'm not surprised by the eye-witness account. It's difficult to establish if contact is made because that part of the encounter is just out of shot, but I don't think contact is required for the cyclist to have recoiled and lost balance. All very sad, and her subsequent actions won't have helped her.

As someone who lives near Huntingdon is a regular user of the ring road, it may well be possible that the cyclist was using the ring road pavement as a short cut.
To save going all the way round said ring road, probably dozens of people do the same thing on a daily basis. The pavement on this stretch of road is not very wide plus it has various safety fences plus traffic lights & traffic signs buried in the surface. Common sense would warned me that walking & pushing your bicycle would have been the sensible option.
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 18:05 - May 8 with 303 viewsVegtablue

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:32 - May 8 by Leaky

As someone who lives near Huntingdon is a regular user of the ring road, it may well be possible that the cyclist was using the ring road pavement as a short cut.
To save going all the way round said ring road, probably dozens of people do the same thing on a daily basis. The pavement on this stretch of road is not very wide plus it has various safety fences plus traffic lights & traffic signs buried in the surface. Common sense would warned me that walking & pushing your bicycle would have been the sensible option.

Cheers for the local knowledge. In the CCTV footage it appeared wide enough, but the camera crew with the man bombing past definitely gave a tighter feel. If the normal or appropriate approach is to dismount, it would need to have happened before the confrontation began really (quite a threatening picture to stop at once the woman got going, given the profile of the cyclist). I don't believe failure to adhere to common or respectful practice may excuse the defendant's decisions, when returning to the case itself.
weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 19:39 - May 8 with 227 viewsgiant_stow

weird story: pedestrian jailed for causing death of a cyclist on 17:32 - May 8 by Swansea_Blue

“leading her family to call for "lessons to be learnt", saying that vulnerable people needed better support from the justice system”.

Interesting take. Does that imply the judge doesn’t believe an innocent 77 year old on a bike is vulnerable when up against 1.5 tonnes of cold, hard steel moving at speed? I bet the victim’s family are furious that they haven’t had support from the justice system.

I think the point is that no crime was committed - it was a tragic accident.

The 'lessons to be learnt' apply to how to the justice system handles accused people who can't necessarily advocate for themselves or at least not that well - a conclusion I'd totally agree with and one which this case demonstrates very well.
[Post edited 8 May 19:43]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024