Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories 06:51 - Apr 7 with 7908 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not Labour.

Not in the same scale but shades of “Starmer protected Jimmy Savile”.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:15 - Apr 8 with 1294 viewsHerbivore

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:32 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

https://www.uea.ac.uk/news/-/article/new-analysis-highlights-impact-of-poverty-a

Although that analysis is focused more on neglect and physical abuse leading to the death (or serious injury) of a child rather than sexual abuse, which is what the Labour tweet specifically refers to. That said, it is true to say that some forms of sexual abuse are more prevalent in vulnerable groups of children, which will include those from struggling households. Either way, we can all agree that the tweet was pretty horrendous.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 08:38 - Apr 9 with 1172 viewsDarth_Koont

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:09 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Racist tweet?!

Racism wasn’t my immediate concern as these types of smeary campaigns are bad news for our democracy anyway. But there’s a case for it, yes. The otherwise baseless insinuation that a British Asian man doesn’t think child abusers should be jailed is certainly problematic in the current climate of dogwhistling around grooming gangs.

Anyway, the video is more about the people in charge of Labour whose lack of honesty and integrity leads to this kind of politics.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:04 - Apr 9 with 1148 viewsBlueAllOver

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 06:01 - Apr 8 by Darth_Koont

As anyone left of Gordon Brown knows by now, these are visionless, immoral and self-serving people. This isn't a bug but a feature.

An unbiased source, excellent work as ever, ooh Jeremy Corbyn!
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:07 - Apr 9 with 1143 viewsDarth_Koont

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:04 - Apr 9 by BlueAllOver

An unbiased source, excellent work as ever, ooh Jeremy Corbyn!

Kennard is a proper investigative journalist, not just some rando on Twitter. And Double Down News has a solid reputation too.

Anyway, what did you take issue with?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 9:09]

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:39 - Apr 9 with 1107 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 08:38 - Apr 9 by Darth_Koont

Racism wasn’t my immediate concern as these types of smeary campaigns are bad news for our democracy anyway. But there’s a case for it, yes. The otherwise baseless insinuation that a British Asian man doesn’t think child abusers should be jailed is certainly problematic in the current climate of dogwhistling around grooming gangs.

Anyway, the video is more about the people in charge of Labour whose lack of honesty and integrity leads to this kind of politics.

Where’s the case for this being racist? Fair enough if you don’t like the message, as it is crass. But I genuinely can’t see how race comes into it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:21 - Apr 9 with 1086 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:15 - Apr 8 by Herbivore

Although that analysis is focused more on neglect and physical abuse leading to the death (or serious injury) of a child rather than sexual abuse, which is what the Labour tweet specifically refers to. That said, it is true to say that some forms of sexual abuse are more prevalent in vulnerable groups of children, which will include those from struggling households. Either way, we can all agree that the tweet was pretty horrendous.

Absolutely

Iron Lion Zion

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:26 - Apr 9 with 1080 viewsbournemouthblue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 21:17 - Apr 7 by Swansea_Blue

They probably are. It’s all focussed on the marginals and will have been focus-grouped, etc. Maybe people would like to see child molesters do a bit of time. It’s hardly the worst suggestion either, even if clumsily made and not the route I’d go down. But maybe what I’d want to see from an opposition wouldn’t fly with their lost red wall voters.

The Tories have always played a dirty game, there seems to be a counter narrative attempt from even the crazier right wing element of their party and media that this isn't acceptable

It makes me chuckle, given most of these people have happily supported the Tories doing it and in many cases, relied on this strategy to back up their own marginalised views of the world

You don't have to look far from home when you see how our own Tory MP, Tom Hunt operates, it's going to start backfiring if people start making suggestions like this

[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 10:28]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:53 - Apr 9 with 1044 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ouch!

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 11:16 - Apr 9 with 1024 viewsRyorry

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:53 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Ouch!

The Times is no better than the Shun these days.

Anyway, I’m on the wrong thread, thought this was about Ben Thatcher’s elbow on Pedro Mendes …

Poll: Time of the annunciation

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:23 - Apr 9 with 967 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 10:53 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Ouch!

I see the old smear wagon's been fired up again.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:52 - Apr 9 with 933 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:23 - Apr 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Mosty by your old mate the Jezziah. He's accusing Starmer of dog whistling with that attack ad.

So Koonters thinks the ad was racist. Jezza concurs. I disagree. It's a poor ad which smears Sunak personally for something he's not responsible for.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 13:01]

Iron Lion Zion

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 13:34 - Apr 9 with 889 viewsbournemouthblue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:52 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Mosty by your old mate the Jezziah. He's accusing Starmer of dog whistling with that attack ad.

So Koonters thinks the ad was racist. Jezza concurs. I disagree. It's a poor ad which smears Sunak personally for something he's not responsible for.

Not that the militant right wingers haven't been doing the exact with Starmer and Saville

It's quite funny to see the outrage at this from people who are happy to pedal this sort of thing when it's on their side

The lack of social awareness on their part, really is something

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 13:39 - Apr 9 with 878 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 13:34 - Apr 9 by bournemouthblue

Not that the militant right wingers haven't been doing the exact with Starmer and Saville

It's quite funny to see the outrage at this from people who are happy to pedal this sort of thing when it's on their side

I thought Labour had the moral high ground over the Tories. The Tories smeared Starmer so it's ok for Labour to smear Sunak isn't the defence that you think it is.

Most people on your side of the political divide have spoken out against this attack ad.

BTW. Sunak disowned Johnson's Savile smear against Starmer.

Iron Lion Zion

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 14:16 - Apr 9 with 850 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 13:34 - Apr 9 by bournemouthblue

Quite.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 14:23 - Apr 9 with 822 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:52 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

It's not "mostly" by Corbyn. It's not even slightly. It's the right wing press, social media and people like your good self jumping on this and shaking fists with outrage.

Yes it's a bad tweet. It's poor taste. But it's tiny - and has been blown up way out of proportion by those listed above - in comparison to the worse and more numerous things done and said by the Tories. That's what gets me, the absolute hypocrisy of it all. You've defended worse than this when the shoe was on the other foot and it was attacking Corbyn. Anything was fair game then, as long as Corbyn was defeated.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 14:26 - Apr 9 with 817 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 13:39 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

I thought Labour had the moral high ground over the Tories. The Tories smeared Starmer so it's ok for Labour to smear Sunak isn't the defence that you think it is.

Most people on your side of the political divide have spoken out against this attack ad.

BTW. Sunak disowned Johnson's Savile smear against Starmer.

One badly judged tweet doesn't suddenly make Labour and the Tories level on points when it comes to dirty tactics. Labour still massively, massively have the the moral high ground over the Tories.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 15:04 - Apr 9 with 776 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 12:23 - Apr 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Glassers always seems to be in campaign mode. He may abhor Johnson like most of the rest of us, but he’ll never turn down an opportunity to attack the opposition (be that Labour or SNP). Some people call it smears, but to others it’s just politics.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 16:30 - Apr 9 with 721 viewsSwansea_Blue

“We build safer communities with investment in education, housing, mental health & youth services.

Instead of sinking into the gutter, we should offer hope in a better world.”

I like the sound of that though, whoever said it. If someone came out with positive policies to improve our social environment, the natural environment and offer people hope that they could lead a happier, rewarding life surely they’d win a landslide? But I can’t see how that’s possible is our fractured political system.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 17:12 - Apr 9 with 682 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 16:30 - Apr 9 by Swansea_Blue

“We build safer communities with investment in education, housing, mental health & youth services.

Instead of sinking into the gutter, we should offer hope in a better world.”

I like the sound of that though, whoever said it. If someone came out with positive policies to improve our social environment, the natural environment and offer people hope that they could lead a happier, rewarding life surely they’d win a landslide? But I can’t see how that’s possible is our fractured political system.

Sounds great... but also a bit 'woke' for much of the British electorate. A sizeable amount are 'what's in it for me?'

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 08:35 - Apr 10 with 550 viewsDarth_Koont

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:39 - Apr 9 by Swansea_Blue

Where’s the case for this being racist? Fair enough if you don’t like the message, as it is crass. But I genuinely can’t see how race comes into it.

I just said in the post you responded to.

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:01 - Apr 10 with 499 viewsChurchman

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 14:26 - Apr 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

One badly judged tweet doesn't suddenly make Labour and the Tories level on points when it comes to dirty tactics. Labour still massively, massively have the the moral high ground over the Tories.

My view on the broad stance of the advert is that it is correct. The tories are soft on crime, probably because it doesn’t personally affect them. Evidence? My friend at NCA was told 18 months ago to his face as his team numbers reduced that ‘serious crime was not a government priority’.

However, I don’t see why Starmer had to engage in this way at this time. Attack them on their appalling record on literally everything, including massacring the police force, at the next election. In the meantime ask questions and invite debate now. Doing adverts in this way just invites an unnecessary slap in the face back.
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:01 - Apr 10 with 499 viewsDJR

As well as being distasteful, the best rated comments on the Mail website suggest the ad hasn't gone down well with its readers, so what was the point?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11954989/Tory-fury-attack-advert-claimi

For what it is worth, trying to be tough on law and order is a bit of a hostage to fortune anyway because, say, there is probably no proof that tougher sentencing will lead to reductions in crime.

If Labour were to attack in this area, much better to point to cuts in police numbers and delays and cuts affecting the courts system, including closure of courts.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 9:11]
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:20 - Apr 10 with 454 viewsDJR

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:01 - Apr 10 by Churchman

My view on the broad stance of the advert is that it is correct. The tories are soft on crime, probably because it doesn’t personally affect them. Evidence? My friend at NCA was told 18 months ago to his face as his team numbers reduced that ‘serious crime was not a government priority’.

However, I don’t see why Starmer had to engage in this way at this time. Attack them on their appalling record on literally everything, including massacring the police force, at the next election. In the meantime ask questions and invite debate now. Doing adverts in this way just invites an unnecessary slap in the face back.

As you suggest, Tory rhetoric on many things in the last 13 years is completely undermined by the consequences of the cuts they have imposed.
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:46 - Apr 10 with 422 viewsDJR

This is the third of the Labour ads, and is maybe more the sort of thing they should have run with, given a closer link to issues concerning local authority elections.

Interesting to know, however, if they had been planning to run something more distasteful, but have opted for this because of the backlash.

Whatever the case, someone at Labour got this ad campaign seriously wrong, and I do wonder if it is Deborah Mattinson, Labour's Director of Strategy, who wrote a book about the Red Wall and seems to me over-reliant on focus groups.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 9:49]
This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:59 - Apr 10 with 835 viewsDarth_Koont

This is the sort of attack ad you’d expect to see from the Tories on 09:46 - Apr 10 by DJR

This is the third of the Labour ads, and is maybe more the sort of thing they should have run with, given a closer link to issues concerning local authority elections.

Interesting to know, however, if they had been planning to run something more distasteful, but have opted for this because of the backlash.

Whatever the case, someone at Labour got this ad campaign seriously wrong, and I do wonder if it is Deborah Mattinson, Labour's Director of Strategy, who wrote a book about the Red Wall and seems to me over-reliant on focus groups.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 9:49]

There's still a "We send 350 million pounds a week to the EU. Let's fund the NHS instead" type of dishonesty about it.

Disingenuous and smeary politics is a large part of what brought us here. And it's a race to the bottom that puts progressive politics and the prospect of change (let alone actual debate and facts) to the margins.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024