Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad adjustments 08:18 - Apr 26 with 1296 viewsBlueySwede

I think we will see 3 or 4 additions to the squad in the summer (even if we, god forbid play in League one next season).
In that case the squad will look a little bloated, so who do you think will leave?
A few random thoughts:
Keough - leaves when contract expired
Kayden Jackson - I have just never warmed to him and I struggle to see his qualities (except a few games here and there)
Kane Vincent-Young - showed so much promise in his first few games, but needs to play games
Rekeem Harper - not sure there is a way back for him?
El Mizouni - a huge talent for sure, but there is a lot of competition in the squad. Another loan or will he move on?
Joe Piggott - another one I can see leaving.
Sone Aluko - love the guy, but will he come back to form after the injury? After all he is 34.
Gassan Ahadme - I thought this was an odd signing to begin with.
Squad adjustments on 08:27 - Apr 26 with 1223 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Keogh will almost certainly join the coaching set up. He runs drills before matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aluko is kept on in a similar capacity with the forwards, but with his player registration retained.

If we are in League One then El Mizouni will come back into the squad. If in the Championship then I can see him being loaned back to Orient.

Edit: oh, and McKenna loves Jackson. He is a very good squad presence and does exactly what is asked of him. His display as an emergency Right Back really opened my eyes to his strengths.

If Jackson, Keogh and Aluko are all moved on it would hint at a steeliness (or ruthlessness?) that we haven't really seen from McKenna yet, and another dimension to his skillset. I *think* he prioritises squad rapport and character, though, so don't expect it to happen.

American sports teams have owners who understand the value of the wider squad in pre-game preparation and culture in a way that most old school English League Chairmen (and I am talking about men, historically, here) wouldn't.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 8:44]
Squad adjustments on 08:33 - Apr 26 with 1179 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Keough - Into Coaching Team
Jackson - Back Up player, potentially moved on if TJJ comes back in
KVY - Back Up player
Harper - Moved on
El Miz - Moved on
Pig, (forgotten about him) - Moved on
Aluko - Contract not renewed possibly into coaching team
Ahadme - Moved on
Penny - Moved on
Joel Coleman - Released
Ndaba - Moved on
Evans - Potentially moved on, if Luongo signs

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Squad adjustments on 08:50 - Apr 26 with 1087 viewsSharkey

Squad adjustments on 08:33 - Apr 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

KVY - Back Up player
Harper - Moved on
El Miz - Moved on
Ahadme - Moved on
Penny - Moved on
Joel Coleman - Released
Ndaba - Moved on

Surely KVY will want to go. He's a footballer.
Squad adjustments on 08:53 - Apr 26 with 1065 viewsIpswichKnight

Jackson is seen more of a right winger now and a backup for Burns, KM likes him too. Think Aluko would be offered something within the analysis set up but he might fancy another season somewhere before properly retiring.
Squad adjustments on 08:54 - Apr 26 with 1057 viewshype313

What about Camara?

Haven't seen enough to cast judgment.

Cue Hoppy...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Squad adjustments on 09:24 - Apr 26 with 924 viewsGenericIpswichMan

Squad adjustments on 08:33 - Apr 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

KVY - Back Up player
Harper - Moved on
El Miz - Moved on
Ahadme - Moved on
Penny - Moved on
Joel Coleman - Released
Ndaba - Moved on

Pretty much agree with all of this. Though just to add to this list I think that Elkan Baggott will be loaned out for another year to a Div 1 team, possibly Humphreys as well.

I do think that KVY will be released at the end of the season.

Hoping that the George Hirst loan deal comes with an option to buy, and that we sign up Luongo as well.

Assuming all of the above, thats a pretty tasty squad I think this leaves us a CB, a number 10 (TJJ?), possibly another CM and another CF.

Plus any significant improvements that the management team have identified in advance!
Squad adjustments on 09:53 - Apr 26 with 832 viewsRobTheMonk

I think Hladky might go too. Gone from being in team of the season at Salford to second choice at Ipswich.
Squad adjustments on 10:04 - Apr 26 with 784 viewsitfcsuth

I think Keogh has unofficially joined the coaching team.

Aluko likely to leave and could sill operate at L1 level in my opinion - have loved watching him play.

Will be some reshuffling, additions of higher quality, but no major overhaul needed - the group is already of high quality, consistency and momentum.
Login to get fewer ads

Squad adjustments on 10:32 - Apr 26 with 727 viewsGuthrum

Squad adjustments on 08:27 - Apr 26 by ArnoldMoorhen

Keogh will almost certainly join the coaching set up. He runs drills before matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aluko is kept on in a similar capacity with the forwards, but with his player registration retained.

If we are in League One then El Mizouni will come back into the squad. If in the Championship then I can see him being loaned back to Orient.

Edit: oh, and McKenna loves Jackson. He is a very good squad presence and does exactly what is asked of him. His display as an emergency Right Back really opened my eyes to his strengths.

If Jackson, Keogh and Aluko are all moved on it would hint at a steeliness (or ruthlessness?) that we haven't really seen from McKenna yet, and another dimension to his skillset. I *think* he prioritises squad rapport and character, though, so don't expect it to happen.

American sports teams have owners who understand the value of the wider squad in pre-game preparation and culture in a way that most old school English League Chairmen (and I am talking about men, historically, here) wouldn't.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 8:44]

Regarding you last paragraph, also from other US sports having a culture of very large backroom teams to support the players and Manager/Head Coach. Rather than just one bloke, his mate, a physio and a couple of others.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Squad adjustments on 11:30 - Apr 26 with 618 viewsSharkey

Squad adjustments on 10:32 - Apr 26 by Guthrum

Regarding you last paragraph, also from other US sports having a culture of very large backroom teams to support the players and Manager/Head Coach. Rather than just one bloke, his mate, a physio and a couple of others.

And yet strangely Rene Gilmartin lands up as (a worthy) part of this success story pretty much because he's John McGreal's mate.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 11:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024