Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last chance saloon ITFC 17:01 - May 10 with 7774 viewsMacedonian_Gerrard

Stumbled across an interview with Tom Carroll recently (still without a club but training at the Spurs centre for those interested). This got me thinking about some of the horrendous signings made in the Evans era where an old crock/journeyman would turn up for a years salary before disappearing into the sunset never to be seen again, few eg's below:

Simon Dawkins - who can forget that masterful 10min sub appearance, left in 2019 only recent reemerged in the second tier of the US for 'Monterey Bay'

Reece Wabara - reaching here perhaps... he managed 80 appearances across L1/L2 in the following 5 years before retiring at 25 now runs a clothing brand

Cameron Stewart - managed 4 appearances at Lincoln after leaving us, hasnt been seen for 5 years now aged 32

Zeki Fryers - maybe a bit harsh, managed 50 apps at Barnsley and Swindon from 2017-2021, currently plying his trade in the 2nd tier of Sweden

Tom Adeyemi - a grand 5 appearances in 2 years, believe he retired at 27 no idea where he is now

Any other highlights i've missed from our (now defunct) banter era?
[Post edited 10 May 2023 17:02]
Last chance saloon ITFC on 14:30 - May 11 with 308 viewsMacedonian_Gerrard

Last chance saloon ITFC on 13:47 - May 11 by Meadowlark

I thought Carroll did the job when required. A defensive holding midfield player.
Don't quite get all this criticism of ex-plsyers.
They are easy targets of course.
But I sense a little air of smugness and superiority has quickly developed - and we've only finished second in the 3rd division FFS.

On my end smugness or superiority was never the intention at all, nor any genuine ill feelings or thoughts on these players!

I think for many of the players (as has been discussed) our perceptions of their performances are a reflection of where the club was at the time. Majority of the signings discussed were made during the period of limited investment & club stagnation. We were relying on frees/loans/punts, and of course players who were perhaps approaching their twilight or recovering from injury so they'd incur lower wage demands or transfer fees(if any) than perhaps they would have in their pomp.

My first ST was in '03 so I feel like i've seen a few iterations of transfer policy (Post prem & administration fire sale/evans takeover and new money spending/evans stagnation onto frees & loans/and now GC20) - So to look back at some of the signings we made in these cycles was something of a cathartic experience, especially now in the glow of 'feeling' like the club is on an upward curve spending money sensibly and with structured plan
Last chance saloon ITFC on 16:34 - May 11 with 227 viewsyorkshireblue

Last chance saloon ITFC on 12:01 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

He was actually close to getting called up by Poland when he joined us, so knocked his career back a bit coming here. Nice bloke as well, from what I recall.

£8500 for a 24 year old, captain of his club with over 100 top flight appearances in his home country and close to a Poland call up was well worth the punt.

Sadly it didn't work out, but looks like he had a decent career back in Poland.

For reasons I can't recall I was looking up Jaime Peters the other day... after leaving Town he had a few loan spells but never cuaght anywhere. Until 9 years later when he signed with a Canadian club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Peters
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024