Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last chance saloon ITFC 17:01 - May 10 with 7698 viewsMacedonian_Gerrard

Stumbled across an interview with Tom Carroll recently (still without a club but training at the Spurs centre for those interested). This got me thinking about some of the horrendous signings made in the Evans era where an old crock/journeyman would turn up for a years salary before disappearing into the sunset never to be seen again, few eg's below:

Simon Dawkins - who can forget that masterful 10min sub appearance, left in 2019 only recent reemerged in the second tier of the US for 'Monterey Bay'

Reece Wabara - reaching here perhaps... he managed 80 appearances across L1/L2 in the following 5 years before retiring at 25 now runs a clothing brand

Cameron Stewart - managed 4 appearances at Lincoln after leaving us, hasnt been seen for 5 years now aged 32

Zeki Fryers - maybe a bit harsh, managed 50 apps at Barnsley and Swindon from 2017-2021, currently plying his trade in the 2nd tier of Sweden

Tom Adeyemi - a grand 5 appearances in 2 years, believe he retired at 27 no idea where he is now

Any other highlights i've missed from our (now defunct) banter era?
[Post edited 10 May 2023 17:02]
Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:50 - May 10 with 2488 viewsitfc_bucks

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:28 - May 10 by clive_baker

It was a real head scratcher that an £8k signing from Poland and Josh Yorworth, neither of whom could get near our side didn’t come out of the cold and keep Rooney and Martial quiet at Old Trafford.

That selection still winds me up today.

If you thought watching the game, or even listening to is was bad, imagine being in a corporate box for it, surrounded by your rabidly United works senior management team, watching your side getting roundly fvcked.
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on 20:50 - May 10 with 2487 viewsDyland

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:40 - May 10 by Mach_foreignBlue

Laursen Toure

Laursen Toure's corner!!!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:52 - May 10 with 2472 viewsclive_baker

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:38 - May 10 by Mach_foreignBlue

Oh yeah because the first 11 had to be 'rested' to save a point against Bristol City three days laster. Pure masterclass.

Really lovely for the 5,000 of us that travelled up to Old Trafford that night.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:54 - May 10 with 2473 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I'm sure I read Cameron Stewart works at his parents business now, or an auction house or something. I can't find the article.

Ben Pringle?

Paul Green?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:57 - May 10 with 2466 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:52 - May 10 by clive_baker

Really lovely for the 5,000 of us that travelled up to Old Trafford that night.

For the 5000 numbskulls as it was all about him.
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on 20:57 - May 10 with 2462 viewsMach_foreignBlue

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on 20:50 - May 10 by Dyland

Laursen Toure's corner!!!

Plus that moment after the end of regular time at Doncaster.
Last chance saloon ITFC on 21:36 - May 10 with 2411 viewsMacedonian_Gerrard

Yorwerth's the fella who got banned for a few years after failing drugs test right?

Mind you reading back some of these names you have to ask was our recruitment team also partaking in such activities
Last chance saloon ITFC on 21:49 - May 10 with 2401 viewsPhilTWTD

Last chance saloon ITFC on 19:32 - May 10 by Macedonian_Gerrard

not quite. 2 million quid for the pleasure of 6 league games, 5 months later contract was terminated mutually as he cited home sickness (after having spent the best part of 5 years in the netherlands before joining). He did go back to Oz and joined Brisbane Roar. Reasonable enough right? Only to then 18 or so months later leave Brisbane and sign for Apoel in Cyprus!!!

Guess thats what playing under MM does to a player

Not quite £2m, he was a free transfer! Terrible summer's business all in all that year, made plenty of signings but failed to build on the success of the previous season.
Login to get fewer ads

Last chance saloon ITFC on 22:06 - May 10 with 2356 viewsGeoffSentence

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:20 - May 10 by itfc_bucks

Suffered an horrendous injury, did he not?

Otherwise, that looked a decent signing. Came from Newcastle (I think) and they had offered him terms to stay, but he wanted first team football.

One that got in my mind the other week was Polish Pete, Piotr Malaczyk (sp?). Got given the run around by Rooney in that cup game at Old Trafford, got sent off, TC looked at him with a death stare and he was never seen again.

Entirely possible that TC did kill him, I suppose.

Think he suffered a bad injury at gateshead, his second non-league club, that was pretty much it forhim after that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Last chance saloon ITFC on 22:30 - May 10 with 2332 viewstractordownsouth

Last chance saloon ITFC on 17:46 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

There was a whole bunch under Jewell. It seemed like we were settling up contracts every month at one stage.

Ingimarsson
Ellington
Sonko
Stevenson

Etc…

Ryan Stevenson was a strange one. Didn't we sign him off the back of Hearts having some financial trouble, only to send him back there six months later? That level of strategic thinking was quite commonplace at the time.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Last chance saloon ITFC on 22:34 - May 10 with 2326 viewsPhilTWTD

Last chance saloon ITFC on 18:13 - May 10 by GeoffSentence

Martin Brittain, managed 0 games for us before being loaned out to Yeovil for 15 games, before getting 1 game a piece at Carlisle and Walsall then wandering off into non-league sunset

Did actually play once for us as as sub in the Carling Cup at Peterborough.

I found out he was signing for us having been on trial because a friend of mine was stood behind him in a queue at a cashpoint while he was on the phone to a friend or relative telling them he was joining us.
Last chance saloon ITFC on 00:01 - May 11 with 2261 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Last chance saloon ITFC on 22:30 - May 10 by tractordownsouth

Ryan Stevenson was a strange one. Didn't we sign him off the back of Hearts having some financial trouble, only to send him back there six months later? That level of strategic thinking was quite commonplace at the time.

That cracker at Doncaster though
Last chance saloon ITFC on 08:38 - May 11 with 2163 viewsitfcjoe

Last chance saloon ITFC on 17:46 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

There was a whole bunch under Jewell. It seemed like we were settling up contracts every month at one stage.

Ingimarsson
Ellington
Sonko
Stevenson

Etc…

I think that was the worst period because we actually had money to spend in wake of Connor Wickham sale and Evans still looking to back the club - we went out and got Ingimarsson, Sonko, Ellington, Bowyer who were all so clearly past it and then also bad characters like Chopra and Bullard who just fell apart and basically saw careers end here despite massive investment in them.

Over the however many years of Mick, the only players who were signed for decent money (wage wise) who was a total disaster was Cameron Stewart - did that court case effect him?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Last chance saloon ITFC on 10:00 - May 11 with 2104 viewsRobTheMonk

Piotr Malacyzk. He played against Man U!
Last chance saloon ITFC on 10:51 - May 11 with 2045 viewsZx1988

Last chance saloon ITFC on 20:20 - May 10 by itfc_bucks

Suffered an horrendous injury, did he not?

Otherwise, that looked a decent signing. Came from Newcastle (I think) and they had offered him terms to stay, but he wanted first team football.

One that got in my mind the other week was Polish Pete, Piotr Malaczyk (sp?). Got given the run around by Rooney in that cup game at Old Trafford, got sent off, TC looked at him with a death stare and he was never seen again.

Entirely possible that TC did kill him, I suppose.

I'm not sure that Malarczyk quite fits the bill.

He's had a fairly solid career in the Polish top division since leaving us - it's more like his stint at ITFC was an ill-fated attempt to step up a level, after which he's returned to his original level and has had a reasonable career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotr_Malarczyk

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:22 - May 11 with 2003 viewspositivity

Last chance saloon ITFC on 08:38 - May 11 by itfcjoe

I think that was the worst period because we actually had money to spend in wake of Connor Wickham sale and Evans still looking to back the club - we went out and got Ingimarsson, Sonko, Ellington, Bowyer who were all so clearly past it and then also bad characters like Chopra and Bullard who just fell apart and basically saw careers end here despite massive investment in them.

Over the however many years of Mick, the only players who were signed for decent money (wage wise) who was a total disaster was Cameron Stewart - did that court case effect him?

we'll agree to differ on adeyemi, best, douglas & bajner then!

jewell had some poor signings (paul taylor's my personal lowlight), but keane also used the initial money badly

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:26 - May 11 with 1998 viewsitfcjoe

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:22 - May 11 by positivity

we'll agree to differ on adeyemi, best, douglas & bajner then!

jewell had some poor signings (paul taylor's my personal lowlight), but keane also used the initial money badly

Adeyemi was one, but that was health related as much as anything, and Huws turned into one.

Best and Bajner were cheap punts that didn't work, as happened a lot under Mick but we were casting a wide net and hoping you'd find the odd player who was decent.

I thought Douglas was pretty poor generally - but ultimately he started regularly for us when we finished 7th, and still played a lot the following season so we got enough out of him to not be a total flop signing. He was old when we signed him and played games for a couple of seasons.

Very different to spending good wages on likes of Sonko, Ingimarrsson, Ellington etc who were totally finished and we got nothing out of as players for the club either

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:37 - May 11 with 1971 viewsWoolfenthen

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:26 - May 11 by itfcjoe

Adeyemi was one, but that was health related as much as anything, and Huws turned into one.

Best and Bajner were cheap punts that didn't work, as happened a lot under Mick but we were casting a wide net and hoping you'd find the odd player who was decent.

I thought Douglas was pretty poor generally - but ultimately he started regularly for us when we finished 7th, and still played a lot the following season so we got enough out of him to not be a total flop signing. He was old when we signed him and played games for a couple of seasons.

Very different to spending good wages on likes of Sonko, Ingimarrsson, Ellington etc who were totally finished and we got nothing out of as players for the club either

Ebanks-Blake
Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:42 - May 11 with 1956 viewsitfcjoe

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:37 - May 11 by Woolfenthen

Ebanks-Blake

Again, a totally cheap punt - we took lots of them under Mick

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:46 - May 11 with 1937 viewshype313

Reo-Coker

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Last chance saloon ITFC on 12:01 - May 11 with 1900 viewsPhilTWTD

Last chance saloon ITFC on 10:51 - May 11 by Zx1988

I'm not sure that Malarczyk quite fits the bill.

He's had a fairly solid career in the Polish top division since leaving us - it's more like his stint at ITFC was an ill-fated attempt to step up a level, after which he's returned to his original level and has had a reasonable career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotr_Malarczyk

He was actually close to getting called up by Poland when he joined us, so knocked his career back a bit coming here. Nice bloke as well, from what I recall.
Last chance saloon ITFC on 12:16 - May 11 with 1869 viewsMacedonian_Gerrard

Always felt a bit sorry for big Polish Pete. Cost a pittance and came over as captain from his Polish top flight side, don't get me wrong he looked out of his depth when in the side, but as mentioned earlier he carved out a pretty decent top flight career back in Poland since

Ebanks-Blake as well i have similar sympathy for, in the sense that he was a freebie linking back up with MM, can't deny he was pretty lethal in the champ for Wolves for a couple years, don't think he ever really recovered from that horrible leg/ankle break he got & that probably explains somewhat how and why he tumbled down the pyramid after our punt
Last chance saloon ITFC on 13:30 - May 11 with 1820 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Last chance saloon ITFC on 17:47 - May 10 by Keno

yeah but look who Spence is married to.

Louie?
Last chance saloon ITFC on 13:38 - May 11 with 1811 viewsEly_Blue

Last chance saloon ITFC on 11:37 - May 11 by Woolfenthen

Ebanks-Blake

Not a patch on the mighty Leon Best!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Last chance saloon ITFC on 13:47 - May 11 with 1789 viewsMeadowlark

I thought Carroll did the job when required. A defensive holding midfield player.
Don't quite get all this criticism of ex-plsyers.
They are easy targets of course.
But I sense a little air of smugness and superiority has quickly developed - and we've only finished second in the 3rd division FFS.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024