Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opportunity to live and work abroad 16:11 - May 16 with 6062 viewsPriskinftw

I've been headhunted by a Dutch company and offered a contract to work for them earning over double what my current salary is. I think that it is too good to turn down and therefore will be accepting.

As a result, I would move over there later this year and was wondering if any of you have any experience living and working in Europe post-Brexit.

Could you share any tips, advice or things to be avoided?

On winged feet, only the light will feel the wind.
Blog: [Blog] Is It Really a Wickham Wonderland?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:43 - May 16 with 2362 viewsfactual_blue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:36 - May 16 by DistantBlue

Having moved to the Netherlands more than thirty years ago I would say go for it and enjoy the experience. Some of the other posts offer very solid advice, especially the trying to get involved with life outside of just work.
I would also say (although this does depend a bit on how long you are planning to stay), try and make a little effort to learn a bit of the language. Although you almost certainly won’t need it for your work, it does help with general engagement with the world around you. If you end up in a place for three or four years and you still can’t speak a word of the language it ends up feeling a bit tricky when someone asks you why……..I did learn the language, but it was a slow process, and with a Dutch wife, I knew it was a long term project.

And don't forget to learn their national anthem

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 19:02 - May 16 with 2333 viewsTalkingBlues

Take your own Spatula 👍

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 19:03 - May 16 with 2332 viewsMattinLondon

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:35 - May 16 by noggin

Been in Norway for 16 years now and will never move back to the UK. I'll be retiring in 3 years and looking to move somewhere a little warmer.

Denmark it is then.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 19:36 - May 16 with 2319 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:05 - May 16 by factual_blue

Only if they're fruit pickers.

Are you telling me my cash in hand grape picking gig in France is off this year?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 19:41 - May 16 with 2303 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:08 - May 16 by bluelagos

I know you are only playing - but things have changed - we have no right to live/work in Europe as we did preBrexit.

An EU country can choose to give individuals short term work / residential rights but nothing is ever simple.

My nephew took a job in Italy a couple of years ago. When his partner wanted to go and live with him, he ended up getting married as the solution to the barriers that were in place. It also took him like 3 months to sort out his work permit / residency before he could start his job.

So things are clearly far harder than they were pre Brexit. Your (Brexiteers) destroying our opportunities is still valid ;-)

Thanks for the info on my around and about way of asking a question. So in certain circumstances the 6 month residency limit in a year can be top trumped? (Or is it 9 months, whatever)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 19:53 - May 16 with 2260 viewsnoggin

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:36 - May 16 by DistantBlue

Having moved to the Netherlands more than thirty years ago I would say go for it and enjoy the experience. Some of the other posts offer very solid advice, especially the trying to get involved with life outside of just work.
I would also say (although this does depend a bit on how long you are planning to stay), try and make a little effort to learn a bit of the language. Although you almost certainly won’t need it for your work, it does help with general engagement with the world around you. If you end up in a place for three or four years and you still can’t speak a word of the language it ends up feeling a bit tricky when someone asks you why……..I did learn the language, but it was a slow process, and with a Dutch wife, I knew it was a long term project.

With regards the language. Yes, you can get by speaking English but sitting in company, or in a bar, and not understanding the conversation is extremely frustrating. I would say learning the language is key to enjoying another country.
The more you expose yourself to the language, the easier it will get. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, believe me, the locals will love you for trying.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 20:17 - May 16 with 2233 viewsHogger

Lived in Amsterdam for 33 years... you'll love it.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 20:51 - May 16 with 2217 viewsMVBlue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:52 - May 16 by clive_baker

Congratulations on the new job. I wouldn't hesitate to take it if your circumstances allow. I've lived and worked in NYC and Europe and have very fond memories of both. For me it was never a forever thing, but something I wanted to do and experience and was lucky that both occasions were internal work moves and most of the practical bits were spoon fed to me to get the move sorted. I was also young and single then, so there were other benefits too. Now I'm boring and married with kids it has less appeal and is less practical.

This was 2010's pre Brexit though so I'm not sure if it's any different now. Having travelled post Brexit I can't say I've noticed much difference tbh, but I'm not clued up on the practical and legal realities now. One thing I would say is if you consume the media in this country you would be forgiven for thinking it's the dogs in the UK and all milk & honey in Europe, which is far from the truth. A lot of the pain we feel is also being felt elsewhere, but I would say go and enjoy it, throw yourself into a different culture. What's the worst that can happen?

Advice (assuming you've done all the practical stuff like considering the finances):

1) Try and meet locals, join clubs, work socials etc. You'll get a much better experience than living in an expat bubble.

2) You're still close to home, make visits, stay connected to people here and put the work in to maintain those relationships. That's easier now than ever with technology.

3) Live in a nice area if you can, especially in the short term. I paid more than I would've been likely to at home (relatively speaking) for accommodation to enhance the experience, at least until you've got your feet under the table.

Very sound advice here.

I got the opportunity to work abroad in Australia. I think everyone who can should work and live abroad, it gives you a good outlook and reminds you well what being British and British values really are. One of the things I did was completely stop reading UK news for a whole year, and immerse myself in the local sport, which is a really bid scene in Melbourne.
It can be quite easy to make ex-pat friends abroad, but the local countryfolk tend to be far more interesting in reality. Good to have both for sure.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:51 - May 16 with 2217 viewsMVBlue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:52 - May 16 by clive_baker

Congratulations on the new job. I wouldn't hesitate to take it if your circumstances allow. I've lived and worked in NYC and Europe and have very fond memories of both. For me it was never a forever thing, but something I wanted to do and experience and was lucky that both occasions were internal work moves and most of the practical bits were spoon fed to me to get the move sorted. I was also young and single then, so there were other benefits too. Now I'm boring and married with kids it has less appeal and is less practical.

This was 2010's pre Brexit though so I'm not sure if it's any different now. Having travelled post Brexit I can't say I've noticed much difference tbh, but I'm not clued up on the practical and legal realities now. One thing I would say is if you consume the media in this country you would be forgiven for thinking it's the dogs in the UK and all milk & honey in Europe, which is far from the truth. A lot of the pain we feel is also being felt elsewhere, but I would say go and enjoy it, throw yourself into a different culture. What's the worst that can happen?

Advice (assuming you've done all the practical stuff like considering the finances):

1) Try and meet locals, join clubs, work socials etc. You'll get a much better experience than living in an expat bubble.

2) You're still close to home, make visits, stay connected to people here and put the work in to maintain those relationships. That's easier now than ever with technology.

3) Live in a nice area if you can, especially in the short term. I paid more than I would've been likely to at home (relatively speaking) for accommodation to enhance the experience, at least until you've got your feet under the table.

And if the late great Bobby Robson made an effort to learn Dutch, then, what an inspiration!!
[Post edited 16 May 2023 20:53]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 21:53 - May 16 with 2185 viewsCrawfordsboot

Having lived and worked in Canada, France, India and Switzerland as well as the UK I would just say “ go for it “
“ keep an open mind”
“Embrace change”
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 21:57 - May 16 with 2181 viewsCrawfordsboot

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:00 - May 16 by bluelagos

My only tip (apart from what is stopping you?) would be to do some proper research on the cultural differences you will meet.

I really like the Dutch, but one thing that could come as a shock is just how blunt they are. Last year I stopped in Arnhem for a night and in the morning went to get a coffee/croissant in the morning. I couldn't see anywhere to park so cheekily stuck my motorbike on a path next to some pushbikes, got my breakie and sat eating it knowing I'd be half blocking the path for all of 3 minutes.

As I was sitting down an old lady came up to me and said "You mustn't do that" - I explained I'd be 2 mins (thinking my parking had annoyed her) and she said no, that was fine. I mustn't eat Croissants or I will get fat.

She had gone upto a complete stranger to share her distaste for my choice of breakfast. At one level I was like "Excuse me?" but at another she was going out of her way to offer me dietary advice keen to see me live a healthier life.

One example of the bluntness of the Dutch - which will be new and worth learning about in advance if possible :-)

Other advice (as an ex-expat) would be to make the most of your time there. Forget Ipswich, follow a local team and use your weekends making the most of what's on your doorstep including in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany.

UK will still be there - but you'll never again get a chance for such an easy weekend in Cologne/Brugges/Copenhagen etc.

Enjoy - sure it will be awesome.

What do you mean - “get fat”
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 10:09 - May 17 with 2093 viewsPriskinftw

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:25 - May 16 by belgablue

Congrats on the offer - I'm just across the border. Imagine you will need a working visa now unless you have an EU passport - your employer should help you take care of this. Worth seeing if there's a commissioner for expats type thing over there as the one here has been pretty useful for post Brexit rights, individual/ family which wasn't important before but is now.

Good luck with it all, out of interest, where in the Netherlands?

Rotterdam. I'm going over there at the end of June to visit the office and smooth out the finer details of the contract.

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 10:16 - May 17 with 2074 viewsfarkenhell

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 10:09 - May 17 by Priskinftw

Rotterdam. I'm going over there at the end of June to visit the office and smooth out the finer details of the contract.

Ah, the Beautiful South!
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 11:05 - May 17 with 2026 viewsbelgablue

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 10:09 - May 17 by Priskinftw

Nice - good luck with it all. In between Utrecht and Antwerp which are both worth a visit.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 12:50 - May 17 with 1951 viewslurcher

I live in the Netherlands, moved here with work 8 years ago? What sector are you in and have your new employers mentioned the 30% ruling?
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 12:51 - May 17 with 1939 viewslurcher

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:00 - May 16 by bluelagos

My only tip (apart from what is stopping you?) would be to do some proper research on the cultural differences you will meet.

I really like the Dutch, but one thing that could come as a shock is just how blunt they are. Last year I stopped in Arnhem for a night and in the morning went to get a coffee/croissant in the morning. I couldn't see anywhere to park so cheekily stuck my motorbike on a path next to some pushbikes, got my breakie and sat eating it knowing I'd be half blocking the path for all of 3 minutes.

As I was sitting down an old lady came up to me and said "You mustn't do that" - I explained I'd be 2 mins (thinking my parking had annoyed her) and she said no, that was fine. I mustn't eat Croissants or I will get fat.

She had gone upto a complete stranger to share her distaste for my choice of breakfast. At one level I was like "Excuse me?" but at another she was going out of her way to offer me dietary advice keen to see me live a healthier life.

One example of the bluntness of the Dutch - which will be new and worth learning about in advance if possible :-)

Other advice (as an ex-expat) would be to make the most of your time there. Forget Ipswich, follow a local team and use your weekends making the most of what's on your doorstep including in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany.

UK will still be there - but you'll never again get a chance for such an easy weekend in Cologne/Brugges/Copenhagen etc.

Enjoy - sure it will be awesome.

That is perhaps an extreme example but yes the Dutch are very direct.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 12:53 - May 17 with 1937 viewslurcher

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:04 - May 16 by MattinLondon

You sure about that? I lived with a Dutch bloke and he said it didn’t matter whether you call it Holland or The Netherlands.

They don't really care but it is the Netherlands and Holland is just a region
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 13:05 - May 17 with 1911 viewsEssen_blue

Remember to show the residency card at the border.
Do not order anything from the UK, to avoid slow delivery and extra costs.
Otherwise nothing has changed for me.

Where will you be living?
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 15:05 - May 17 with 1840 viewsPriskinftw

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 12:50 - May 17 by lurcher

I live in the Netherlands, moved here with work 8 years ago? What sector are you in and have your new employers mentioned the 30% ruling?

Energy and no they haven't, they have offered to assist with finding an apartment though. I didn't know about the 30% ruling until i looked at what my take home pay would be each month.

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 15:24 - May 17 with 1830 viewsBluesky

Seize the opportunity, trust your instincts, be yourself and find the fun. You don't need politics to enjoy a new job. - Live in the moment - Live in the place.

( I thought clichés appropriate on a football forum but no less applicable! ...Obviously,
as I said, if you see what I mean.)

Good luck. The Dutch are lovely people to work with.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:17 - May 17 with 1805 viewslurcher

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 15:05 - May 17 by Priskinftw

Energy and no they haven't, they have offered to assist with finding an apartment though. I didn't know about the 30% ruling until i looked at what my take home pay would be each month.

So it is highly beneficial. The first 30% of what you earn is tax free for 5 years. Beyond that there are tax saving implications such as bringing a vehicle over and not paying import. I would be surprised if you didn't love it here, it is a wonderful country and so cheap to get back to the UK for Town games and the like. It is an easy way to try living abroad.
Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:26 - May 17 with 1797 viewsbluelagos

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 16:17 - May 17 by lurcher

So it is highly beneficial. The first 30% of what you earn is tax free for 5 years. Beyond that there are tax saving implications such as bringing a vehicle over and not paying import. I would be surprised if you didn't love it here, it is a wonderful country and so cheap to get back to the UK for Town games and the like. It is an easy way to try living abroad.

"It is an easy way to try living abroad"

Yeah - first step and before you'll know it he'll be on a hardship posting in one of the world's least desirable spots wondering how on earth he's going to survive another two years before returning to sanity.

But then someone has to live/work in Haverhill I guess.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 17:24 - May 17 with 1773 viewsjaykay

i make 15 players from holland who have been at the town , so expect you will made welcome in holland.
i have worked in saudi , uae, and hong kong loved every minute of my time working abroad so as everyone has said go for it

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:49 - May 17 with 1743 viewsblueasfook

I lived and worked in Spain for a couple of years in my 20s. My top tip would be to learn the language and immerse yourself in the culture. I think you get treated a lot better by the locals if you at least try to converse with them in their language - and they'll usually point out what you're saying wrongly!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Opportunity to live and work abroad on 18:56 - May 17 with 1727 viewsBLUEBEAT

When you’ve found a place to live, pinpoint the local brown cafes (Dutch version of the local old-fashioned pub) to connect with the local community.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024