Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glasto thread 00:02 - Jun 24 with 7405 viewsWhos_blue

Don't know if it's everyone's up of tea, but thought it would be good to have a thread of highlights, things to catch up on/look forward to.

I'll be going back to watch some more of the Young Fathers. Looked and sounded amazing. Looking forward to seeing them at Latitude.
Watching the Arctic Monkeys. They're one of those bands who passed me by a bit. A decent set, but maybe a little pedestrian and samey for me.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Glasto thread on 00:16 - Jun 24 with 3543 viewsLevelTheLand

Thought Arctic Monkeys were awful. Sparks and Billy Nomates were both good, haven't watched Comet is Coming yet, but they make a decent sound (not according to Dubtractor).
Glasto thread on 00:22 - Jun 24 with 3540 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Arctics were good in places for me, especially towards the end. But that thing he does where he sings the lyrics a little off-kilter/slightly behind the music, then has to rush to catch up, grated a bit.

Didn't do Fake Tales of San Francisco, unless it was at the start, would've liked to have seen that.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Glasto thread on 00:26 - Jun 24 with 3528 viewsWhos_blue

Kelis looking and sounding good.

Glasto thread on 00:28 - Jun 24 with 3515 viewsWhos_blue

I think Lizzo is going to be a blast Saturday night.

Glasto thread on 01:40 - Jun 24 with 3449 viewskiwiblue

Glasto thread on 00:28 - Jun 24 by Whos_blue

I think Lizzo is going to be a blast Saturday night.

what did people think about Gabriels
Glasto thread on 01:51 - Jun 24 with 3443 viewsBLUEBEAT

Had no idea Richard Hammond fronted the Arctic Monkeys.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Glasto thread on 06:31 - Jun 24 with 3381 viewsiamatractorboy

Saw the AMs at Carrow Road the other week and as a fan I really enjoyed it. Their musicianship is unquestionable and it was visually a spectacle in terms of the lighting, stage design etc. I've been a fan since they hit the big time but must admit they wandered off my radar for a few years as their 3rd album didn't really do it for me. Got back into them a few years ago and love them again now. Their range is amazing really when you compare the early stuff to today's. However... as good technically as they are, and as much as I like their new stuff, complete change of direction that it is, foot-stomping crowd-pleasing bangers it is not. I can imagine a casual viewer being rather underwhelmed because although they are great musicians, dare I say it they are not great showmen (feel bad for saying that!).
Glasto thread on 07:09 - Jun 24 with 3366 viewsWarkystache

I know I'm getting on a bit and went to Glastonbury Festival in 1994 as a student and saw Peter Gabriel and Van Morrison amongst others, but it all seems a bit too loud and a bit crap doesn't it?

I liked the Foos and Sparks yesterday, but the Arctic Monkeys were bloody awful and made me wish Richard Hammond had permanent laryngitis. Royal Blood, couldn't name one of their songs, just heard the drums and the bass.

Hoping Elton's not completely lost it for Sunday. I'm no longer down wiv the kids like many of you lot so haven't heard of three quarters of the line-up anyway. The ones I have heard of, I've sort of not really enjoyed.

Still, thousands of kids seem to be enjoying themselves.....

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Login to get fewer ads

Glasto thread on 08:55 - Jun 24 with 3257 viewsBluespeed225

Glasto thread on 06:31 - Jun 24 by iamatractorboy

Saw the AMs at Carrow Road the other week and as a fan I really enjoyed it. Their musicianship is unquestionable and it was visually a spectacle in terms of the lighting, stage design etc. I've been a fan since they hit the big time but must admit they wandered off my radar for a few years as their 3rd album didn't really do it for me. Got back into them a few years ago and love them again now. Their range is amazing really when you compare the early stuff to today's. However... as good technically as they are, and as much as I like their new stuff, complete change of direction that it is, foot-stomping crowd-pleasing bangers it is not. I can imagine a casual viewer being rather underwhelmed because although they are great musicians, dare I say it they are not great showmen (feel bad for saying that!).

Saw AM at the Hollywood Bowl of all places in 18’, were very good and had a surprisingly mixed following, all ages, races, was really good to see a Brit band doing that over there.
I caught a girl group who I thought were a Beyoncé tribute act.
I would like to see the Basil Brush late night show. That fox is the nuts!
Glasto thread on 09:02 - Jun 24 with 3237 viewsITFC_Forever

Never really had any great love for the Arctic Monkeys, but they have a few decent tracks.

Was good to see the Lightning Seeds still going strong, and “The Churnups” were everything you’d hope given the smaller time allocation of an hour.

Quite liked Maisie Peters, never heard her before, but she was very pleasant.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Glasto thread on 09:04 - Jun 24 with 3227 viewsbrogansnose

Glasto thread on 01:40 - Jun 24 by kiwiblue

what did people think about Gabriels

The three songs that I saw I really liked so I'm going to delve in some more.
Glasto thread on 09:07 - Jun 24 with 3214 viewswrightsrightglove

Glasto thread on 06:31 - Jun 24 by iamatractorboy

We saw them at CR as well. Whilst I’m a big fan of their older stuff from my teenage years, I’m not overly taken by their newer stuff. I’m sure it’s just their style but it seemed like they didn’t want to be there to me. We still had a good time but felt like the Hives outperformed them just because of their energy and showmanship. AM had no interaction with the crowd, sung slightly off best meaning people didn’t really want to sing along and just seemed a bit disinterested. It was great to see them but I wouldn’t rush to see them again.
Glasto thread on 09:12 - Jun 24 with 3200 viewsRadlett_blue

Glasto thread on 09:07 - Jun 24 by wrightsrightglove

We saw them at CR as well. Whilst I’m a big fan of their older stuff from my teenage years, I’m not overly taken by their newer stuff. I’m sure it’s just their style but it seemed like they didn’t want to be there to me. We still had a good time but felt like the Hives outperformed them just because of their energy and showmanship. AM had no interaction with the crowd, sung slightly off best meaning people didn’t really want to sing along and just seemed a bit disinterested. It was great to see them but I wouldn’t rush to see them again.

Bands need to change what they do or else everyone - them included - gets bored with more of the same. I didn't like much of Arctic Monkeys early stuff (too, old, probably) but I think some of their newer songs are way better. You won't please everyone.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Glasto thread on 09:24 - Jun 24 with 3175 viewsthe_toff

Glasto thread on 01:51 - Jun 24 by BLUEBEAT

Had no idea Richard Hammond fronted the Arctic Monkeys.

Didn’t realise Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen had replaced Dave Grohl either.

Really enjoyed FF though, festival pros and high energy. I’ve seen them before and they’re very good live.

Fell asleep through AM to be honest. I was tired but equally it was a bit dull.
Glasto thread on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 3162 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Glasto thread on 09:12 - Jun 24 by Radlett_blue

Bands need to change what they do or else everyone - them included - gets bored with more of the same. I didn't like much of Arctic Monkeys early stuff (too, old, probably) but I think some of their newer songs are way better. You won't please everyone.

Whatever your age you gotta love lyrics like, "You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham" and "His bird said it's amazing though so all that's left,
is the proof that love's not only blind, but deaf"??
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 9:37]

Glasto thread on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 3160 viewsiamatractorboy

Glasto thread on 09:07 - Jun 24 by wrightsrightglove

Think I enjoyed it more than you did by the sounds of it, but can understand where you're coming from. It almost felt like a come down after the slightly mental Hives. Their front man is brilliant; their tunes aren't as memorable, except the obvious one, but the energy and enthusiasm is infectious and he made me laugh a few times as well. In contrast, Turner is laid back to the point of being almost horizontal. Perhaps he is actually a bit of an introvert at heart? I wonder how much this infamous laryngitis played a part.
Glasto thread on 11:09 - Jun 24 with 3075 viewsWhos_blue

Very strong set from The Lightning Seeds.

Glasto thread on 11:37 - Jun 24 with 3050 viewsKeno

Glasto thread on 11:09 - Jun 24 by Whos_blue

Very strong set from The Lightning Seeds.

My son is there and I'm happy to pass on his comment on today

"its focking hot"

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Glasto thread on 12:11 - Jun 24 with 3002 viewsDJR

When are the Goombay Dance Band on? Is it before or after the Dooleys?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 12:22]
Glasto thread on 16:08 - Jun 24 with 2871 viewsbluewein

Working Men's Club killed it earlier. The Murder Capital are currently doing exactly the same...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Glasto thread on 16:14 - Jun 24 with 2843 viewsHerbivore

Glasto these days seems to be lots of current pop and then bands and artists who haven't really been relevant for 20 years or more. It's morphed into something quite different these days, which is fine, but it makes it hard to give much of a sh!t about it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Glasto thread on 17:05 - Jun 24 with 2775 viewsblueasfook

From the bits I saw last night, I thought Royal Blood smashed it. They really had the crowd going. I switched off Artic Monkeys after about 10 mins, but then never really been a fan of them.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Glasto thread on 17:12 - Jun 24 with 2763 viewsblueasfook

Glasto thread on 09:29 - Jun 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Whatever your age you gotta love lyrics like, "You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham" and "His bird said it's amazing though so all that's left,
is the proof that love's not only blind, but deaf"??
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 9:37]

Dylan-esque

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Glasto thread on 17:31 - Jun 24 with 2736 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Glasto thread on 17:12 - Jun 24 by blueasfook

Dylan-esque

Not sure you can compare the two, they're just different. I happen to like a bit of clever humour in lyrics.

Glasto thread on 17:37 - Jun 24 with 2723 viewsbluewein

Glasto thread on 16:08 - Jun 24 by bluewein

Working Men's Club killed it earlier. The Murder Capital are currently doing exactly the same...

Add Shame to that list.

Would have been a great day to be at Woodsies stage...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024