Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bellingham vs Rice 08:51 - Jun 28 with 2616 viewsgordon

Depending on exchange rates and add-ons etc, the Declan Rice transfer fee seems like it's going to be about the same as Bellingham - bit surprised because to me Bellingham is a once in a generation talent who could easily be the best player in the world over the next decade and five years younger, while Declan Rice is a top quality International player but not really in the same bracket.

What am I missing?
Bellingham vs Rice on 08:56 - Jun 28 with 2383 viewsCheltenham_Blue

English teams buying English things, to fill a required quota of 'Homegrown' players, that are useful players rather than 'padding'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:13 - Jun 28 with 2310 viewsMattinLondon

Wasn’t Bellingham’s contract in its last year snd he said that he wasn’t going to sign an extension?
Bellingham vs Rice on 09:23 - Jun 28 with 2253 viewsNutkins_Return

Bellingham is an absolutely outstanding player and pretty well proven now (although league wise many from Dortmund have struggled in the prem so only question mark there). Agree though everything points to him being one of the best midfielders England have produced. On that basis the fee in today's market looked low. Big add ons though.

Rice still seems to be a player who is underated. He's absolutely exceptional on his position. His form dipped a little last season but he really is the heartbeat of West Ham and is almost always and 8+ for England. His value is what it is to West Ham. Around £90 mil is probably about right it someone will have to pay a bit over the odds for him. He will improve any squad in the world though.
Bellingham vs Rice on 09:41 - Jun 28 with 2207 viewsitfcjoe

Bellingham and Dortmund had an agreement re leaving, and that was part of reason why he signed there.

Similar to last year when they sold Haaland for €60m when he was worth triple that.

They wouldn't get these players without deals like that in place, and still make massive profits (Haaland €20m to €60m - Bellingham £25m to €103m)

And people underestimate just how good Declan Rice is, is a player you have to see in the flesh to really get to grips with just how dominant he is

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:43 - Jun 28 with 2192 viewsKieran_Knows

£105m for Rice is absolutely absurd. If he was Italian or Spanish playing in them respective leagues, you'd be looking at no more than a £40m player.

He's a good player, and I think he'd do well in Arsenal's team, but it's just ridiculous money.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:45 - Jun 28 with 2192 viewsSwansea_Blue

Players are like houses. They're only really worth what someone is prepared to pay and PL teams seem willing to pay more than most , especially for homegrown players. Except in the broadest terms, transfer values aren't a proxy for quality.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:48 - Jun 28 with 2177 viewsJ2BLUE

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:43 - Jun 28 by Kieran_Knows

£105m for Rice is absolutely absurd. If he was Italian or Spanish playing in them respective leagues, you'd be looking at no more than a £40m player.

He's a good player, and I think he'd do well in Arsenal's team, but it's just ridiculous money.

£40m

He would walk into Arsenal's team. He's 24 and will probably only get better. They will probably give him a 5 year deal. £105m seems a little steep but I don't think it's too far out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:49 - Jun 28 with 2176 viewsgiant_stow

No transfer is more weird than Kai Havertz for 60-70 million imho. No idea why Arsenal aren't trying to get a goal scorer.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:51 - Jun 28 with 2157 viewsKieran_Knows

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:48 - Jun 28 by J2BLUE

£40m

He would walk into Arsenal's team. He's 24 and will probably only get better. They will probably give him a 5 year deal. £105m seems a little steep but I don't think it's too far out.

Did you read what I said? If he was Spanish or Italian, playing in their respective leagues, he'd be no more than a £40m player. It's simply because he's English that his price is £105m, which is simply ludicrous.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:54 - Jun 28 with 2130 viewsLankHenners

It's quite high but Rice is among the best at what he does in the game and will be a cornerstone of the England team for the next 4 major tournaments at least.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:59 - Jun 28 with 2096 viewsBloomBlue

Dortmund need the money more than West Ham?

Prem teams on average are richer than clubs in other countries and maybe Dortmund aren't in a position to 'sit & wait' as much as West Ham.

Also RM will always be the biggest club and the biggest attraction for players and that can give them an advantage, i.e., player tells the club I want to go to RM and not interested in any other club, reducing their haggling ability
Bellingham vs Rice on 09:59 - Jun 28 with 2093 viewsgordon

Lots of good points / perspectives, thanks.
Bellingham vs Rice on 10:07 - Jun 28 with 2061 viewsJ2BLUE

Bellingham vs Rice on 09:51 - Jun 28 by Kieran_Knows

Did you read what I said? If he was Spanish or Italian, playing in their respective leagues, he'd be no more than a £40m player. It's simply because he's English that his price is £105m, which is simply ludicrous.

Yes, it's nonsense.

Truly impaired.

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:20 - Jun 28 with 2007 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's crazy that people think Rice is worth 2 Erling Haalands. There's definitely a premium on homegrown players in the PL; that's been the case for years and well talked about. It's probably not quite the gap you're talking about there, but it's certainly a 'thing'.

I find it all utterly obscene given the state of the country and significant rise in poverty/numbers of people getting into financial difficulties. We're very good at compartmentalising those things though - I can imagine there will be people struggling to make ends meet who'll be cheering on players earning up to £20M a year. And it probably does them some good too, to distract them from their worries for a while.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:23 - Jun 28 with 1995 viewsJ2BLUE

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:20 - Jun 28 by Swansea_Blue

It's crazy that people think Rice is worth 2 Erling Haalands. There's definitely a premium on homegrown players in the PL; that's been the case for years and well talked about. It's probably not quite the gap you're talking about there, but it's certainly a 'thing'.

I find it all utterly obscene given the state of the country and significant rise in poverty/numbers of people getting into financial difficulties. We're very good at compartmentalising those things though - I can imagine there will be people struggling to make ends meet who'll be cheering on players earning up to £20M a year. And it probably does them some good too, to distract them from their worries for a while.

It's crazy that people think Rice is worth 2 Erling Haalands.

Literally no one thinks that.

Truly impaired.

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:24 - Jun 28 with 1990 viewsNutkins_Return

Accidental....how do I delete?
[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 10:25]
Bellingham vs Rice on 10:39 - Jun 28 with 1932 viewsthe_toff

They're both quality players and if you want quality you have to pay for it. Its absurd money in real life, but in terms of value relative to the football world I would say they're both £80m+ players in this market, absolute minimum. They're both so proven, despite their age and you firmly know what you're going to get with them. Not to mention the marketing appeal.

It's rarely the players at that value that surprise me, because they're invariably top class, it's always the swathes of signings in the £20m - £30m bracket that often gets little attention and regularly prove awful value. Clubs spending that like it's pocket money.

Look at someone like Diego Carlos. He's 30, never capped, never done much in his career. Villa paid £30m for him and he's done absolutely nothing. Danny Ings is another, £30m, they get about 10 goals from him then leaves to West Ham for £12m.
Bellingham vs Rice on 10:45 - Jun 28 with 1918 viewsSimonds92

This is absolute rubbish.
Chelsea have literally paid £106 million for a worse player playing in the Portuguese division. Rice would get in to and improve any team in world football imo.
Bellingham vs Rice on 10:55 - Jun 28 with 1881 viewsSimonds92

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:20 - Jun 28 by Swansea_Blue

I know its the Sun but bit of context on your Haaland comment:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18518699/man-city-erling-haaland-transfe

If the players dont take home the obscene salaries who does? The very rich owners? The sports broadcasters who constantly peddle gambling ?
Bellingham vs Rice on 11:35 - Jun 28 with 1788 viewschicoazul

I still can’t come to terms with why Rice wants to go to bloody Arsenal.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Bellingham vs Rice on 11:37 - Jun 28 with 1780 viewschicoazul

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:45 - Jun 28 by Simonds92

This is absolute rubbish.
Chelsea have literally paid £106 million for a worse player playing in the Portuguese division. Rice would get in to and improve any team in world football imo.

You have completely misunderstood the point being made.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Bellingham vs Rice on 11:44 - Jun 28 with 1757 viewsSimonds92

Bellingham vs Rice on 11:37 - Jun 28 by chicoazul

You have completely misunderstood the point being made.

I haven't, the point was made that its a premium because he's English, I've given an example of an Argentinian who played in Portugal who commanded an even bigger fee. This isnt a premium because he's English its a premium because he's an absolutely fantastic footballer.
Bellingham vs Rice on 11:45 - Jun 28 with 1750 viewsElephantintheRoom

Bellingham decided he was going to the club of his choice for a low fee in exchange for contracting to Dortmund for an extra year - as did Haaland.

Rice is wanted by a couple of clubs - so a sort of auction has ensued

The thing you are missing is the greedy extras mercenaries tap into. Haaland got £30 million for signing for Man City. Bellingham probably got the same.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Bellingham vs Rice on 13:34 - Jun 28 with 1626 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Bellingham vs Rice on 10:23 - Jun 28 by J2BLUE

It's crazy that people think Rice is worth 2 Erling Haalands.

Literally no one thinks that.

Can’t believe people think Jack Taylor is worth infinity Lionel Messi’s…

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Bellingham vs Rice on 18:52 - Jun 28 with 1452 viewstractordownsouth

Buying from a Premier League club always brings a premium with it.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024