Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austria 28th 16:38 - Jul 7 with 3223 viewsTresBonne

Is anyone actually considering going to that one? I've just been pricing it up for me and three mates, reckon it's about a £600-700 trip. Fly out Thursday and back late on Sunday.

They've given us a pretty small allocation from the looks of things which is understandable.

Just want to gauge how many people are considering it before deciding if it's worth the money!
Austria 28th on 16:45 - Jul 7 with 3144 viewsthe_toff

Sounds about right. I looked at flights, Thurs - Sat £300 out of Gatwick, plus accommodation and Austria prices you're probably talking £600 - £700 per head for a small group.

Will swerve it personally, I would like to visit Innsbruck but a little rich for me for me right now.
Austria 28th on 17:43 - Jul 7 with 3031 viewsBloomBlue

Have you tried flights from London City Airport? Friend recently did a long weekend and his flights to Geneva (return) were £120*

*Not sure if he booked them well in advance
Austria 28th on 19:59 - Jul 7 with 2883 viewsKievthegreat

If you're averse to flying there are potential routes using Harwich ferry crossing/Eurostar and sleeper trains from Amsterdam that will take you straight to Innsbruck.

https://www.seat61.com/Austria.htm#london-to-innsbruck-by-train
Austria 28th on 20:11 - Jul 7 with 2854 viewsstonojnr

Fly to Memmingen or Munich from Stansted, then take the train,
Austria 28th on 20:29 - Jul 7 with 2823 viewsSwansea_Blue

Austria 28th on 19:59 - Jul 7 by Kievthegreat

If you're averse to flying there are potential routes using Harwich ferry crossing/Eurostar and sleeper trains from Amsterdam that will take you straight to Innsbruck.

https://www.seat61.com/Austria.htm#london-to-innsbruck-by-train

Much better option. More enjoyable, approx same price (£300 out, £250 back based on a quick check). Plus much smaller carbon footprint- 0.3 tonnes to fly, 0.01 tonnes by train, so 30x worse flying.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Austria 28th on 09:19 - Jul 9 with 2552 viewsJackNorthStand

Austria 28th on 20:29 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

Much better option. More enjoyable, approx same price (£300 out, £250 back based on a quick check). Plus much smaller carbon footprint- 0.3 tonnes to fly, 0.01 tonnes by train, so 30x worse flying.

3 X “ worse “ flying, not 30. ( according to your numbers )
Austria 28th on 13:54 - Jul 9 with 2388 viewsNeedhamChris

Austria 28th on 09:19 - Jul 9 by JackNorthStand

3 X “ worse “ flying, not 30. ( according to your numbers )

0.01 x 3 = 0.03

0.01 x 30 = 0.3

I don't think he's the poster with the suspect maths

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Austria 28th on 13:56 - Jul 9 with 2373 viewsSomethingBlue

Flying to/from Munich should make the financial side look more palatable — then it's a simple train journey.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Austria 28th on 15:18 - Jul 9 with 2282 viewsJackNorthStand

Austria 28th on 13:54 - Jul 9 by NeedhamChris

0.01 x 3 = 0.03

0.01 x 30 = 0.3

I don't think he's the poster with the suspect maths

Fair - I’ve misread the extra 0 after the point there. 😂
Austria 28th on 05:58 - Jul 18 with 1866 viewsMunichBlue

Austria 28th on 13:56 - Jul 9 by SomethingBlue

Flying to/from Munich should make the financial side look more palatable — then it's a simple train journey.

Living just south of Munich and 1.5hrs drive from Innsbruck I will be going.
For you info since easyJet pulled out of Stansted you can't fly to Munich directly.
However you can go with Ryanair to Memmingen (Munich west - same as Stansted being in London) but getting from there to Innsbruck could be tricky, maybe hire care best option and still about a 2hr drive.
Austria 28th on 09:21 - Jul 18 with 1613 viewsStewart27

Austria 28th on 20:29 - Jul 7 by Swansea_Blue

I’d understand if it was much cheaper but how can that train be more enjoyable than flying?

Surely flying is a no brainer.
Austria 28th on 11:20 - Jul 18 with 1499 viewssoupytwist

Austria 28th on 05:58 - Jul 18 by MunichBlue

Living just south of Munich and 1.5hrs drive from Innsbruck I will be going.
For you info since easyJet pulled out of Stansted you can't fly to Munich directly.
However you can go with Ryanair to Memmingen (Munich west - same as Stansted being in London) but getting from there to Innsbruck could be tricky, maybe hire care best option and still about a 2hr drive.

Looks like you can get a bus directly from Memmingen Airport to Munich bus station and the journey's about 90 minutes.

Or get a bus into Memmingen and get the train to Munich, about the same journey time.
Austria 28th on 11:36 - Jul 18 with 1433 viewsFreddies_Ears

Austria 28th on 09:21 - Jul 18 by Stewart27

I’d understand if it was much cheaper but how can that train be more enjoyable than flying?

Surely flying is a no brainer.

I would pick train every time if the price is even close. Much more relaxed, and doesn't necessarily take that much longer once you factor in getting to the airport & waiting around. No baggage limitations, no liquids restrictions.
Austria 28th on 11:59 - Jul 18 with 1378 viewsStewart27

Austria 28th on 11:36 - Jul 18 by Freddies_Ears

I would pick train every time if the price is even close. Much more relaxed, and doesn't necessarily take that much longer once you factor in getting to the airport & waiting around. No baggage limitations, no liquids restrictions.

Yeah fair enough.

It was mentioned that it was a sleeper train. I couldn’t imagine the train being particularly luxurious so was thinking surely it’s easier to take a 2 hour flight as opposed to sleeping on a train. Each to their own. With these short breaks I never think about liquid allowance as I don’t take any. Would just be a rucksack job. Few beers at the airport and job done!
Austria 28th on 12:28 - Jul 18 with 1319 viewsbackwaywhen

Austria 28th on 20:11 - Jul 7 by stonojnr

Fly to Memmingen or Munich from Stansted, then take the train,

No flights direct to Munich from Stansted from past experience !
Austria 28th on 14:39 - Jul 18 with 1201 viewsFreddies_Ears

Austria 28th on 11:59 - Jul 18 by Stewart27

Yeah fair enough.

It was mentioned that it was a sleeper train. I couldn’t imagine the train being particularly luxurious so was thinking surely it’s easier to take a 2 hour flight as opposed to sleeping on a train. Each to their own. With these short breaks I never think about liquid allowance as I don’t take any. Would just be a rucksack job. Few beers at the airport and job done!

I did Munich to Ipswich by train a couple of years ago. Left my hotel about 0830, changed in Cologne & Brussels & London, got home 9pm. Flying would have been maybe 3 hours quicker for that trip, using public transport to & from airports. For that trip, train was around £50 cheaper end-to-end. Train was utterly relaxing, other than the overcrowding & half hour delay between London & Ipswich.
Austria 28th on 15:18 - Jul 18 with 1168 viewsMunichBlue

Austria 28th on 11:20 - Jul 18 by soupytwist

Looks like you can get a bus directly from Memmingen Airport to Munich bus station and the journey's about 90 minutes.

Or get a bus into Memmingen and get the train to Munich, about the same journey time.

Yeah both possible to Munich but that's the wrong direction. Munich is still 2hrs from Innsbruck!
Memmingen to Munich 90 mins +2hrs or so to Innsbruck
Memmingen to Innsbruck by train 3.2hrs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024