Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games 12:50 - Jul 18 with 1177 viewsgtsb1966

To be honest I don't watch it but I know others do. That cost though just cannot be justified both now and in the future. It could be the end.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66229577
Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:10 - Jul 18 with 1065 viewsBlueRaider

To be honest, all these large events result in building sporting facilities that become white elephants. You almost need to designate a few places to host things and rotate to minimise the cost and green impact.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:17 - Jul 18 with 1037 viewsgiant_stow

Not sure, but I think its most likely the last time the state of Victoria will host anything big. I spose the event will either have to be cancelled or sent our way again.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:18 - Jul 18 with 1027 viewsStokieBlue

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:10 - Jul 18 by BlueRaider

To be honest, all these large events result in building sporting facilities that become white elephants. You almost need to designate a few places to host things and rotate to minimise the cost and green impact.

I would agree that many of these events become white elephants but Stratford and the areas around (such as Hackney Wick) have been totally transformed by the Olympics.

Rotation of hosts is quite a good idea actually, if countries were willing to get onboard with that.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:21 - Jul 18 with 1016 viewsgiant_stow

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:18 - Jul 18 by StokieBlue

I would agree that many of these events become white elephants but Stratford and the areas around (such as Hackney Wick) have been totally transformed by the Olympics.

Rotation of hosts is quite a good idea actually, if countries were willing to get onboard with that.

SB

Stratford is more or less a pure success story, bar some wider concerns on what social or affordable housing should be. I'm no night-out person these days, but every time I go to Hackney Wick, its completely buzzing - must be one of the most 'it' places to go out in London right now surely?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:25 - Jul 18 with 988 viewsRadlett_blue

It's long outlived its original purpose & has been the games nobody really wants because it's going to be a financial disaster as the TV rights are worth zilch. Like every other sporting event, its increased in size almost every year - in 2010 there were over 6,000 competitors , when it used to be just over 1,000. This obviously comes at a cost & the idea of regionalising it across Victoria was obviously only going to increase that. Needs to be put to sleep, but the politicians won't want to do that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:45 - Jul 18 with 908 viewsKeno

Isnt thee a stadium in London that was build for the Olympics that would make a cracking venue for a multi sport event like this?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:45 - Jul 18 with 912 viewsthorpedo

Had it's time. Is just a glorified Sports Day these days, and the big names have been swerving it for a while now, to concentrate on Worlds/Olympics etc.

Thorpedo

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 14:12 - Jul 18 with 860 viewsTractorBrew

Having attended a few events in Birmingham, the way it was approached there was spot on with much lower spend. The investment in existing facilities has had a big impact since from what I have seen / heard.

The issue here seems to be the desire to spread it around and avoid Melbourne, lots of temporary stadia etc. Think the approach needs to be improving what exists, and this may mean multi-city events are the way forward. Even a good few events for Paris Olympics are elsewhere - surfing being the most extreme!
Login to get fewer ads

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 14:29 - Jul 18 with 816 viewsHARRY10

The problem is previous events such as this promised a boost to the local economy. However, spiralling costs have wiped that out.

Advertisers will be willing to stump up to reach 330m US citizens and 450m Europeans, but there is not the same amount of money to be made advertising to poor 3rd world countries.

Like the FA Cup, I think it has had its day. It will no doubt continue in some fashion, but the idea revenue from attendances and sponsors would cover even the running costs is no longer feasible. Similarly, any TV rights would be of limited interest to a non Commonwealth audience,.

There is also the thought that Australia might not actually be a part of the Commonwealth in 3 years time, as with a couple of Caribbean countries.
Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 15:32 - Jul 18 with 738 viewshoppy

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:45 - Jul 18 by thorpedo

Had it's time. Is just a glorified Sports Day these days, and the big names have been swerving it for a while now, to concentrate on Worlds/Olympics etc.

Its days were numbered when they got rid of the three legged race and the sack race.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 15:36 - Jul 18 with 725 viewsGeoffSentence

Is this the end of the Commonwealth Games on 13:45 - Jul 18 by Keno

Isnt thee a stadium in London that was build for the Olympics that would make a cracking venue for a multi sport event like this?

You would have thought London could host it at the drop f a hat.

I thought that London Stadium was supposed to be convertible back to athletics use and you have the rest of the stuff in the Olympic Park.

Should be easy-peasy

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024