Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banter or Hate? 09:09 - Jul 12 with 11143 viewsCovJet

Dear Ipswich Town supporters,

I’m a Wolves fan — coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

But before I continue, let me congratulate you on an amazing season. I’m sure the Canaries are a tad nervous!

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games — for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used — I want you to be honest.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University and approval from your administrator for this forum.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Watford, Wolves, Plymouth and Newcastle.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

https://questionpro.com/t/AX3LcZyJou

Kind regards,

Peter Evans
Banter or Hate? on 13:28 - Jul 14 with 1677 viewsBigCommon

Banter or Hate? on 13:07 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

What do you see as being the difference? Both are forms of discrimination and prejudice based on protected characteristics of individuals.

I don't count gay people as being of different race, just because they are gay...
Earlier in the thread, someone compared a "holding hands" song, to chucking bananas at black football players.. To me, that's a bizzare comparison.
Banter or Hate? on 13:32 - Jul 14 with 1668 viewsBlueBadger

Banter or Hate? on 14:03 - Jul 12 by blueasfook

He does that to everyone dont worry. He likes a good downvote does Herbs.

You'd think a couple of banter lads could handle some pushback.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Banter or Hate? on 13:40 - Jul 14 with 1651 viewsHerbivore

Banter or Hate? on 13:28 - Jul 14 by BigCommon

I don't count gay people as being of different race, just because they are gay...
Earlier in the thread, someone compared a "holding hands" song, to chucking bananas at black football players.. To me, that's a bizzare comparison.

That doesn't really answer my question. Nobody is claiming gay people are a race and nobody is saying they are experiencing racism through that chanting. What I'm asking is why you seem to view homophobia as somehow being a less serious form of discrimination and prejudice than racism?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Banter or Hate? on 13:52 - Jul 14 with 1631 viewsBigCommon

Banter or Hate? on 13:32 - Jul 14 by BlueBadger

You'd think a couple of banter lads could handle some pushback.

Thought I handled it quite well tbf.. Didn't resort to calling anyone a bastard for having a difference of opinion. As one poster aimed at me, looking for a reaction.
I find the whole subject fascinating. Tinged with double standards.. For instance, it's apparently wrong to sing a chant that might hurt someone's feelings? But it's ok to have a pop at someone on a public forum ? Not that it bothers me, just find it hypocritical. And very intolerant.

Also think the Rainbow community have missed a trick in the LGBTIQA+ naming of their community....
Maybe include a "H" for hetro sexual, to make it truly inclusive. Psychologically, imo, its putting up barriers towards hetrosexuals... Hence the " hetrophobe" banter.
Banter or Hate? on 13:57 - Jul 14 with 1618 viewsjayessess

Banter or Hate? on 13:52 - Jul 14 by BigCommon

Thought I handled it quite well tbf.. Didn't resort to calling anyone a bastard for having a difference of opinion. As one poster aimed at me, looking for a reaction.
I find the whole subject fascinating. Tinged with double standards.. For instance, it's apparently wrong to sing a chant that might hurt someone's feelings? But it's ok to have a pop at someone on a public forum ? Not that it bothers me, just find it hypocritical. And very intolerant.

Also think the Rainbow community have missed a trick in the LGBTIQA+ naming of their community....
Maybe include a "H" for hetro sexual, to make it truly inclusive. Psychologically, imo, its putting up barriers towards hetrosexuals... Hence the " hetrophobe" banter.

This is a wild mis-characterisation of our interaction.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Banter or Hate? on 14:08 - Jul 14 with 1592 viewsBigCommon

Banter or Hate? on 13:40 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

That doesn't really answer my question. Nobody is claiming gay people are a race and nobody is saying they are experiencing racism through that chanting. What I'm asking is why you seem to view homophobia as somehow being a less serious form of discrimination and prejudice than racism?

Thats an assertion on your part... At no point did I say that one was more serious than the other.. I said, imo, they are different subjects..
Banter or Hate? on 14:09 - Jul 14 with 1596 viewsEastAnglianBoy

"What gender are you?

Male.
Female.
Other"

Sorry but that's where the problems started in society if you ask me...
Banter or Hate? on 14:19 - Jul 14 with 1562 viewsBigCommon

Banter or Hate? on 13:57 - Jul 14 by jayessess

This is a wild mis-characterisation of our interaction.

Again, unless you start putting "imo" into your sentences, for clarity. The term you use, "wild opinion", just becomes an unproven assertion. And means nothing.
Login to get fewer ads

Banter or Hate? on 14:26 - Jul 14 with 1543 viewsjayessess

Banter or Hate? on 14:19 - Jul 14 by BigCommon

Again, unless you start putting "imo" into your sentences, for clarity. The term you use, "wild opinion", just becomes an unproven assertion. And means nothing.

What is this even supposed to mean?

It's an assertion about something that's literally there in black on white on page 3 of this thread, where anyone can read it. Maybe you can re-read it and clarify that no-one called you a bastard.

There's a real irony here that you're interpreting someone trying to explain another point of view as "taking a pop at you".
[Post edited 14 Jul 2023 14:30]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Banter or Hate? on 15:49 - Jul 14 with 1495 viewsHerbivore

Banter or Hate? on 14:08 - Jul 14 by BigCommon

Thats an assertion on your part... At no point did I say that one was more serious than the other.. I said, imo, they are different subjects..

But you characterised homophobic chanting as banter but felt that throwing a banana towards a black player is not banter. That would suggest that you do see one form of discrimination as being more serious than the other. Your other comments about heterophobia and the LGBTQ+ community needing to include heterosexuals to be genuinely inclusive doesn't do you any favours either and kind of reinforces that you don't take homophobia very seriously.

Banter or Hate? on 16:17 - Jul 14 with 1489 viewsHerbivore

Banter or Hate? on 14:09 - Jul 14 by EastAnglianBoy

"What gender are you?

Male.
Female.
Other"

Do expand. I'm curious as to how acknowledging that gender identity may not be neatly binary has led to many, indeed any, of the most pressing problems we face as a society.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2023 16:32]

Banter or Hate? on 16:56 - Jul 14 with 1460 viewsBlueBadger

Banter or Hate? on 14:09 - Jul 14 by EastAnglianBoy

"What gender are you?

Male.
Female.
Other"

But why would we ask you, when you're clearly a bit dim?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Banter or Hate? on 17:16 - Jul 14 with 1437 viewsBlueBadger

Banter or Hate? on 09:28 - Jul 12 by backwaywhen

Also done , pretty basic questions and anyone who finds those chants offensive shouldn’t really be at a football match …….. Bantz. Innit .

I guess we now know how you'd answer the question 'what is it you like best about the Tories' then.

Banter or Hate? on 17:57 - Jul 14 with 1409 viewsBigCommon

Banter or Hate? on 15:49 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

But you characterised homophobic chanting as banter but felt that throwing a banana towards a black player is not banter. That would suggest that you do see one form of discrimination as being more serious than the other. Your other comments about heterophobia and the LGBTQ+ community needing to include heterosexuals to be genuinely inclusive doesn't do you any favours either and kind of reinforces that you don't take homophobia very seriously.

Wasn't looking for any favors. Im not looking for anything at all. Merely suggesting a way where, perhaps bridges could be built, instead of barriers put up.
I'm going to leave things alone on this thread now. What started off as a few light comments on the OP survey, you've managed to drag into the gutter with your thinly veiled insults.
I don't wish to start trading insults. You seem a bit delicate for that. Nunite petal.
Banter or Hate? on 18:21 - Jul 14 with 1392 viewsHerbivore

Banter or Hate? on 17:57 - Jul 14 by BigCommon

Wasn't looking for any favors. Im not looking for anything at all. Merely suggesting a way where, perhaps bridges could be built, instead of barriers put up.
I'm going to leave things alone on this thread now. What started off as a few light comments on the OP survey, you've managed to drag into the gutter with your thinly veiled insults.
I don't wish to start trading insults. You seem a bit delicate for that. Nunite petal.

Your response is utterly bizarre and a pure deflection from my perfectly reasonable response. Seems you are the one who is rather delicate here, to be honest.

Banter or Hate? on 18:21 - Jul 14 with 1390 viewsBlueBadger

Banter or Hate? on 09:35 - Jul 12 by blueasfook

So you're OK with homophobic chanting then? In case you didnt know, its a criminal offence.

To be fair, the list of 'stuff they don't know' is probably pretty long.

Banter or Hate? on 18:54 - Jul 14 with 1373 viewsEastAnglianBoy

Banter or Hate? on 16:17 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

Do expand. I'm curious as to how acknowledging that gender identity may not be neatly binary has led to many, indeed any, of the most pressing problems we face as a society.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2023 16:32]

There are only two genders.

Only wokey cokeys think otherwise...

And the insistence that there are more than 2 is just down right bizarre.
Banter or Hate? on 20:15 - Jul 14 with 1347 viewsHerbivore

Banter or Hate? on 18:54 - Jul 14 by EastAnglianBoy

So again, which of our major societal issues are caused by 'wokey cokeys' holding the view that a binary conception of gender isn't helpful?

Banter or Hate? on 20:30 - Jul 14 with 1326 viewsRyorry

What's bizarre is the refusal of people with closed eyes, ears & minds to open those things & listen to or read accounts from people who aren't binary.

There was an interesting play on R4 quite recently about a real-life situation involving a Scottish inheritance -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ng3x

Or if you prefer to read about it -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Case_of_Ewan_Forbes

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Hidden-Case-of-Ewan-Forbes/Zoe-Playdo

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Banter or Hate? on 09:04 - Jul 15 with 1237 viewsBlueBadger

See now, I can't say I fully get it all but that's no reason to be a prick about it.

Banter or Hate? on 13:03 - Jul 15 with 1176 viewsBlueBadger

Banter or Hate? on 20:30 - Jul 14 by Ryorry

What's bizarre is the refusal of people with closed eyes, ears & minds to open those things & listen to or read accounts from people who aren't binary.

There was an interesting play on R4 quite recently about a real-life situation involving a Scottish inheritance -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ng3x

Or if you prefer to read about it -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Case_of_Ewan_Forbes

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Hidden-Case-of-Ewan-Forbes/Zoe-Playdo

And that's before we get into stuff like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024