Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mental health 18:01 - Jul 17 with 3266 viewseastangliaisblue

Here for advice/thoughts on my mental health. I'm a bit of a coward talking about this type of thing so haven't spoke to my wife, family or friends about this as of yet. Hence why I'm on here just to get things off my chest a little.

Mental health is not something I've ever struggled with before but this past week it's like I've been hit by a train. It really has taken me by complete surprise

I've been feeling like I'm suffocating, feel completely alone and taking no joy in anything I do. The few times I have been completely alone has been horrible. I'm usually someone that enjoys alone time every so often. The feelings have dampened down a bit compared to earlier last week but are still in the background.

I recently slipped a disc and have been on a cocktail of painkillers. I finished taking them a few days before this all hit me. Could that have something to do with it?

I've not been enjoying my job for sometime could this be affecting me more than I realise?

Don't really want to see a Doctor as the last thing I want is to be put on medication.

For context I have a really happy home life. Couldn't ask for a better wife or kids.

Apologies if this sounds like a complete ramble just needed to get it off my chest and maybe hear some advice from others.
Mental health on 06:24 - Jul 18 with 407 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

Firstly, apologies for any errors in my text as I am typing this whilst walking the dog.

I would suggest the most simple thing to do is to download an app called hub of hope. It will list all the services available to you from just somebody to chat to right through to official CBT and councilling. I have suffered with my MH a lot and have found that just talking to somebody is often the best fix. It doesn’t have to be a close friend. I’m fact I have an older lady at work who likes to us each other as a sounding board. We see each other in person about once a fortnight but always make time for a chat.
You mentioned medication, I would completely agree. I’m my opinion medication should be a very last resort. I have seen first hand the consequences of people being given medication with little thought for the side or after effects. That said, if you do call your GP, you are well within your rights to refuse any medication they offer.
You are not alone in this feeling and you have already done the are but by talking to people.

I was at the bottom a few years ago and wanted to end it all.
I found that taking and stripping life right back helped me. I no li get do social media (TWTD is about as much as I do nowadays!).
I enjoy silly play time with the kids. I enjoy cooking for the family. I took up gardening.
Sometimes just a reset of values and life can be all it needs to shift our focus again. It doesn’t need to be too drastic. Take the dog for a walk every morning can be enough to wake me up and focus me on the day.

Sorry for the ramble, not sure I made much sense there.
Mental health on 10:10 - Jul 18 with 313 viewsPrrrromotionGiven

Best I can say is that avoiding situations that would act as triggers is what works best for me. It's all about forward planning. About medication - others e.g. Bankster have shared their experiences, in my experience I tried two different types of antidepressant (Sertraline and Venlafaxine, an SNRI and SSRI respectively) in increasing dosages and neither had any effect on me mentally, only some minor physical side effects, as a result I am currently unmedicated having not bothered to talk to a doc about this sort of thing for over half a year I think. I also got to try out NHS Talking Therapies, on a platform called Silver Cloud. It was too impersonal and formulaic for me to take it seriously to be honest, maybe it works for some people but I think if you have long term problems it's pointless. Private may be better, never done it. In conclusion my recommendation is to recognise what stresses you out and plan ahead so that you come across it as little as possible, meds and therapy are worth trying but not necessarily going to help.
Mental health on 10:24 - Jul 18 with 303 viewsblueasfook

Not much to add other than hope you get to bottom of it and are back to your old self soon bud. TWTD might bicker like kids a lot but we are all supportive too!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024