Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobbold stand under Construction.. 16:09 - Aug 3 with 3535 viewsFrimleyBlue

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:13 - Aug 3 with 3448 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Ok, it was our dump... but what a dump the North Stand was.

Crazy that the ground as shown there (with complete Cobbold) held 36k
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:18 - Aug 3 with 3382 viewsFreddies_Ears

I love images of stands being built. A sign of dreams being brought to fruition, and an anticipation of memories yet to be made.

I was in my then regular E Block seat for That Bolton game, and Magilton's hat-trick goal only exists for me from the angle I first saw it. Magic, indeed!
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:20 - Aug 3 with 3339 viewsDJR

Thanks for posting.

Interesting to see the old cattle market still there, as well as the Churchman's factory and, by the practice pitch, the Eastern Electricity Central Accounting Office, where my dad parked before games.

For what it is worth, I can't remember seeing it whilst it was being constructed, but I suppose I must have, unless it was put up in the close season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 16:22]
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:30 - Aug 3 with 3242 viewsgtsb1966

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:13 - Aug 3 by burnbudgiesburn

Ok, it was our dump... but what a dump the North Stand was.

Crazy that the ground as shown there (with complete Cobbold) held 36k

" but what a dump the North Stand was".
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:32 - Aug 3 with 3220 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:30 - Aug 3 by gtsb1966

" but what a dump the North Stand was".

I should ban myself for that blasphemy.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:37 - Aug 3 with 3159 viewsWallingford_Boy

Impressive at the time, not so much now!

RIP Sir Bobby

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:43 - Aug 3 with 3107 viewsgtsb1966

When was it finished. I remember my very first game, Carlisle November 1974 and we were in that stand and there was still building work going on then.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:44 - Aug 3 with 3096 viewsGeoffSentence

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:20 - Aug 3 by DJR

Thanks for posting.

Interesting to see the old cattle market still there, as well as the Churchman's factory and, by the practice pitch, the Eastern Electricity Central Accounting Office, where my dad parked before games.

For what it is worth, I can't remember seeing it whilst it was being constructed, but I suppose I must have, unless it was put up in the close season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 16:22]

Russell House? I was there the day they blew it up. It was on that same day that I remembered I had left some stuff in there that should not have been left in there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:46 - Aug 3 with 3059 viewshype313

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:44 - Aug 3 by GeoffSentence

Russell House? I was there the day they blew it up. It was on that same day that I remembered I had left some stuff in there that should not have been left in there.

The Wife?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:50 - Aug 3 with 3031 viewsGeoffSentence

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:46 - Aug 3 by hype313

The Wife?

Haha! No. WifeSentence remains alive and well and unsullied by semtex.

It was some backup tapes. Thankfully, in my remaining time at EE/TXU they were never needed. Then the company went titsup, to be bought out by Eon, if they ever needed them they probably assumed they got lost during the takeover.

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:30 - Aug 3 with 2496 viewsDJR

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:44 - Aug 3 by GeoffSentence

Yes, that was the name. I'd forgotten it, and didn't realise the building had been blown up.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:35 - Aug 3 with 2461 viewsDJR

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:50 - Aug 3 by GeoffSentence

It was some backup tapes. Thankfully, in my remaining time at EE/TXU they were never needed. Then the company went titsup, to be bought out by Eon, if they ever needed them they probably assumed they got lost during the takeover.

Because they effectively secured my father's (and then mother's) pension after the TXU collapse, I ensured EON were my mother's energy supplier when I took charge of her affairs, and continue to this day to use them for my own energy supply.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:45 - Aug 3 with 2408 viewsSwansea_Blue

It never ceases to amaze me that we could do engineering back in the old days when we didn’t even have colour.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:47 - Aug 3 with 2402 viewsGeoffSentence

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:35 - Aug 3 by DJR

Because they effectively secured my father's (and then mother's) pension after the TXU collapse, I ensured EON were my mother's energy supplier when I took charge of her affairs, and continue to this day to use them for my own energy supply.

Yes, there were people close to retirement when TXU went under who very nearly lost their pensions, without any chance of making any of it up. It affected some people really badly and the EON rescue came as a great relief.

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:49 - Aug 3 with 2381 viewsshaunmahony

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:30 - Aug 3 by DJR

Yes, that was the name. I'd forgotten it, and didn't realise the building had been blown up.

I was working in EEB Russell House in 71/72. Great view of the practice pitch (now the fanzone) so well remember taking slow walks upstairs to the half landing windows to watch Hunter, Whymark et al training.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 20:31 - Aug 3 with 2222 viewsBluespeed225

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:43 - Aug 3 by gtsb1966

When was it finished. I remember my very first game, Carlisle November 1974 and we were in that stand and there was still building work going on then.

It was added too after its original build . My first game was viewed from the terrace in front, Sheffield United, April 72’.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 21:07 - Aug 3 with 2066 viewsDJR

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:49 - Aug 3 by shaunmahony

I was working in EEB Russell House in 71/72. Great view of the practice pitch (now the fanzone) so well remember taking slow walks upstairs to the half landing windows to watch Hunter, Whymark et al training.

I remember great children's Christmas parties there in the late 60s/early 70s.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 21:18 - Aug 3 with 2022 viewsChurchman

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:43 - Aug 3 by gtsb1966

The lower section, including where the exec boxes are was standing. Stood on that many times.

The 74 building work was for the extensions either end. The seats in those were orange and one of the early matches then they opened was the 1975 Aston Villa 5th Round FA Cup game. We sat in them and we came back to win 3-2.

The record attendance was 38,010 and that was at the 6th Round game v Leeds a couple of weeks later. We stood in the East/Portman/Cobbold stand near the little wooden hut in the middle and I saw nothing much. It was absolutely rammed.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 08:42 - Aug 4 with 1541 viewsWubbleU

And the terrace was replaced in the summer in the summer of 78. The exec boxes went in and they couldn't have people standing in front. I remember it caused chaos at 1st home game v Liverpool, night didn't get better, we lost 3-0. Muhren's home debut so turned out great later!

The side terraces down East and West / Pioneer were great for a view of the match.
Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 08:47 - Aug 4 with 1519 viewsNthQldITFC

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 19:45 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

It never ceases to amaze me that we could do engineering back in the old days when we didn’t even have colour.

I can't see loads of people standing around, or sitting in vehicles, in hi-vis jackets playing with their smart phones either, which I thought was a necessity in construction.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 08:53 - Aug 4 with 1510 viewsElephantintheRoom

And they only built the middle bit which looked wondrous at the time.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 10:51 - Aug 4 with 1371 viewsDeano69

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 16:50 - Aug 3 by GeoffSentence

Will the name Peter Peck mean anything to those mentioning EE?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 13:14 - Aug 4 with 1190 viewsDJR

Cobbold stand under Construction.. on 10:51 - Aug 4 by Deano69

Will the name Peter Peck mean anything to those mentioning EE?

Maybe to my dad who worked for EE from 1966 to 1992, but he is no longer with us.

He worked in the architects' department, which tended to change locations from time to time, meaning (from recollection) that he worked at Russell House, Wherstead, the small office building opposite the Willis Building (which is now flats), and the building in the photo just across the road from Russell House (which I think was owned by Ipswich Buses at some time).

As the Eastern Electricity area was larger than you might think (eg. Wood Green in London), during school holidays I often travelled with him on his journey's to construction sites, enabling me to explore the area he visited while he was at work. I also recall eating quite well when I met up with him during the day but I am not sure if "expenses" were involved.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 13:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024