Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the betting that someone in government.... 17:59 - Aug 3 with 1261 viewsBlueBadger

....has a mate who's put in a tender to make chess boards?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66392630
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 17:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 18:04 - Aug 3 with 1222 viewsKeno

I misread that and was expecting to see Cheddar, Stilton, Caerphilly and Babybell

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 18:58 - Aug 3 with 1155 viewsronnyd

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 18:04 - Aug 3 by Keno

I misread that and was expecting to see Cheddar, Stilton, Caerphilly and Babybell

If it had have been cheese, the headline would have been fester.
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 18:59 - Aug 3 with 1157 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst you're probably right, Chess is a great game which has gained a huge increase in popularity over lockdown.

Chess tournaments are frequently streamed on YouTube with commentary from GMs and most schools have chess clubs.

At the moment David Howell is representing England in the Chess world cup which is also being streamed.

It's a great way for kids to learn analysis.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:03 - Aug 3 with 1155 viewsBlueBadger

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 18:59 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

Whilst you're probably right, Chess is a great game which has gained a huge increase in popularity over lockdown.

Chess tournaments are frequently streamed on YouTube with commentary from GMs and most schools have chess clubs.

At the moment David Howell is representing England in the Chess world cup which is also being streamed.

It's a great way for kids to learn analysis.

SB

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:18 - Aug 3 with 1131 viewsBrianTablet

Adding to the chequered history of government deals.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:44 - Aug 3 with 1086 viewsRocky

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:03 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

That's a bit strong.
Maths isn't that brilliant.
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:48 - Aug 3 with 1070 viewsSwansea_Blue

100% guaranteed there will be a kickback involved somewhere. Of a 50% chess tax about to be introduced.

Also seems a bit of a random one. Worthy, but surely not a priority when everything else is pretty fecked.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:53 - Aug 3 with 1056 viewsHARRY10

I've got a friend in Prague who makes hand carved sets

He's my Czech mate
Login to get fewer ads

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 00:45 - Aug 4 with 954 viewsNorfolknWay

Former British Champion Nicholas Pert is from Ipswich. He went to Oakham School, which was a hotbed of chess talent back in the day apparently.

I bumped into him at the Bled Olympiad in 2002 and he's a big Town fan as well.
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 07:18 - Aug 4 with 893 viewsChurchman

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 19:53 - Aug 3 by HARRY10

I've got a friend in Prague who makes hand carved sets

He's my Czech mate

If you had a friend who lived in No 10 you’d be a fool’s mate.

Chess is a brilliant game. Battle strategy on a small board. I still have a couple of sets one of them being a depressingly old Jaques pegged travel chess set that went everywhere with me in my yoof.
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 08:28 - Aug 4 with 842 viewsSwansea_Blue

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 07:18 - Aug 4 by Churchman

If you had a friend who lived in No 10 you’d be a fool’s mate.

Chess is a brilliant game. Battle strategy on a small board. I still have a couple of sets one of them being a depressingly old Jaques pegged travel chess set that went everywhere with me in my yoof.

Chess isn’t what it was though.

TWTD:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 08:58 - Aug 4 with 826 viewsBobsthename

You must be happy with your government pay rise surely better than a kick ya fanny.
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 09:35 - Aug 4 with 782 viewsyorkshire

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 08:28 - Aug 4 by Swansea_Blue

Chess isn’t what it was though.

TWTD:

That’s brilliant - loved Battle Chess back in the day

Ipswich actually used to be a big Chess town - I remember playing in tournaments back in the late 80s in the Corn Exchange where there were over 300 kids. The Pert twins were a little bit younger than me but remember how good they were

Can’t see the harm in putting some money into the game - my daughter plays it online with some of her friends
What's the betting that someone in government.... on 14:55 - Aug 4 with 715 viewsBlueBadger

What's the betting that someone in government.... on 08:58 - Aug 4 by Bobsthename

You must be happy with your government pay rise surely better than a kick ya fanny.

'Be grateful your annual real-terms pay cut was merely a lump hammer to the nads this year as opposed to someone driving a small car into them' isn't the gotcha you think it is champ.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024