Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saudi Football League 12:03 - Aug 14 with 1995 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hope it really takes off, and all the global football viewers start watching it instead of the Premier League.

Might make the PL more accessible and interesting!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Saudi Football League on 12:06 - Aug 14 with 1941 viewsyesjohn99

Agreed.
Saudi Football League on 12:26 - Aug 14 with 1876 viewsDaninthecampo

The BBC have done an article today about the teams and their better players, whilst there are few teams with big names the majority of the teams have players we wouldn't consider signing. so its never going to be really competitive for decades and that's only if they continue to plough in billions, Ronaldo's team has a max capacity of 25,000 fans so not many fans in the country.
There's so much football on TV now, there will always be a better game to watch worldwide than to watch the Saudi league and their bunch of greedy mercanaries
Saudi Football League on 12:30 - Aug 14 with 1831 viewsJ2BLUE

I think Dazn have acquired the rights.

Really can't see it taking off. Meaningless games which are almost exhibition games filled with players on mega money. It's like a glimpse of the super league and how hollow it would be.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Saudi Football League on 12:30 - Aug 14 with 1829 viewsblueasfook

Saudi Football League on 12:26 - Aug 14 by Daninthecampo

The BBC have done an article today about the teams and their better players, whilst there are few teams with big names the majority of the teams have players we wouldn't consider signing. so its never going to be really competitive for decades and that's only if they continue to plough in billions, Ronaldo's team has a max capacity of 25,000 fans so not many fans in the country.
There's so much football on TV now, there will always be a better game to watch worldwide than to watch the Saudi league and their bunch of greedy mercanaries

I see it just being an alternative to MLS. A place where the big names go at the end of their careers to earn a few bucks

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Saudi Football League on 12:44 - Aug 14 with 1743 viewsemergencylime

I notice the Al Nassr v Al Hilal Champions Cup highlights videos have millions of views, so there is initial interest for sure, be interesting to see whether it dwindles once the sand settles.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

Saudi Football League on 12:47 - Aug 14 with 1720 viewshype313

It'll be a pension zone until they throw enough money at UEFA to get into the CL

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Saudi Football League on 13:00 - Aug 14 with 1654 viewsiamatractorboy

If it does take off it will have done the job the Saudi government want it to, so from that point of view I absolutely want it to fail. Take your point about the Premier League though!
Saudi Football League on 13:12 - Aug 14 with 1568 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It just isn’t going to have the same global appeal as the EPL. It’s already established in Asia and is now really getting popular in the US. It’s shaken off the ‘soccer mum’ image, and getting very popular with the youngsters. Saudi League is just not going to have that cultural appeal. And for every Neymar, you have a Jordan Henderson….
Login to get fewer ads

Saudi Football League on 13:20 - Aug 14 with 1534 viewstextbackup

If it were a toss up between watching the top 2 in Saudi playing, or a national league game, I’d pick national league every time. Zero interest in football if it’s not English based

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Saudi Football League on 13:20 - Aug 14 with 1532 viewsN2_Blue

It’s BS. Leagues aren’t competitive when there is such a gap in terms of ability between players. Firmino scored a hat trick and had a goal disallowed on his debut. Defending is probably L2 / national league level and now finds itself against international level players. What is the point?

It’s not for me and that’s before you even consider the moral side of it all.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 13:21]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

No chance currently... on 13:20 - Aug 14 with 1532 viewsunstableblue

... part of the Premier League appeal is the speed and frenetic nature of the football and how competitive it is (unlike La Ligue for example) - BUT also the crowds and the atmosphere.. that comes across so well in the pictures and sound...

Saudi Pro League may be able to match the style of football.. but crowds remain pretty small:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/saudi-pro-league/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/SA1/s

Obviosuly the quoted crowds are from last season and may go up... but basically Jordan Henderson is going to play in front of 6,000 people in a 15k capacity stadium!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

No chance currently... on 13:24 - Aug 14 with 1504 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No chance currently... on 13:20 - Aug 14 by unstableblue

... part of the Premier League appeal is the speed and frenetic nature of the football and how competitive it is (unlike La Ligue for example) - BUT also the crowds and the atmosphere.. that comes across so well in the pictures and sound...

Saudi Pro League may be able to match the style of football.. but crowds remain pretty small:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/saudi-pro-league/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/SA1/s

Obviosuly the quoted crowds are from last season and may go up... but basically Jordan Henderson is going to play in front of 6,000 people in a 15k capacity stadium!

I agree, I don't think it will take off.

All the media outlets try to make out its a threat, but it cant really do any harm, even if it is successful.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Saudi Football League on 13:29 - Aug 14 with 1454 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Saudi Football League on 13:12 - Aug 14 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It just isn’t going to have the same global appeal as the EPL. It’s already established in Asia and is now really getting popular in the US. It’s shaken off the ‘soccer mum’ image, and getting very popular with the youngsters. Saudi League is just not going to have that cultural appeal. And for every Neymar, you have a Jordan Henderson….

I was chatting to a woman from the US recently, and she said when she hears the word 'football' she immediately thinks of soccer and not the NFL.

That's pretty telling.

No chance currently... on 13:32 - Aug 14 with 1440 viewsunstableblue

No chance currently... on 13:24 - Aug 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree, I don't think it will take off.

All the media outlets try to make out its a threat, but it cant really do any harm, even if it is successful.

I’ve travelled and worked round South East Asia quite a bit (ooooh look at me) and the scale of internet in English football is huge… see some of the tours. Hard to displace that loyalty.

Hopefully we can exploit the Baggot connection when he’s playing for us in the Premier League… wibble wibble.

Seems to be growing in the US as well.

I did read that Henderson’s wages are not £700k a week but a mere £350,000 a week!! How can work in those conditions.

He’ll hate Saudi… strange place to go and live.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Saudi Football League on 13:46 - Aug 14 with 1348 viewstextbackup

Saudi Football League on 13:20 - Aug 14 by N2_Blue

It’s BS. Leagues aren’t competitive when there is such a gap in terms of ability between players. Firmino scored a hat trick and had a goal disallowed on his debut. Defending is probably L2 / national league level and now finds itself against international level players. What is the point?

It’s not for me and that’s before you even consider the moral side of it all.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 13:21]

Until every player in the teams are of similar/equal quality it makes a mockery of it. The big names players are purely there for a few quid.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Saudi Football League on 14:30 - Aug 14 with 1270 viewsBlueBadger

The success of the Premier League has of course, made the French, Spanish, Italian and German leagues MUCH more interesting.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Saudi Football League on 14:40 - Aug 14 with 1242 viewsBlueBadger

Saudi Football League on 12:30 - Aug 14 by blueasfook

I see it just being an alternative to MLS. A place where the big names go at the end of their careers to earn a few bucks

One is a wealthy but tinpot league in an increasingly theocratic and corrupt country full of homophobic billionaires and the other one is in the middle east.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 14:50]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024