Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well Played Mr Burns 13:26 - Aug 14 with 4261 viewsSheffordBlue

Over the summer Burns seemed like one of the 'starters' who we might look at upgrading. He had another great season last time round but if you picking one of the starting 11 to upgrade then maybe his position was one we'd look at. He's not always been great at beating his man from a standing start and his strengths are running onto a ball in space where he can accelerate before he reaches the ball. If the last two games are in anyway representative of the type of teams we'll face then he could do really well.

In 2 games he's completed 9 open play passes into the penalty area. Morsy and Chaplin are joint 2nd with 2 each. He's also completed 4 crosses in to the penalty area with no one else registering one.

He's attempted 5 take-ons, completing three of them with only Broadhead bettering this so far.

For progressive carries* he's currently on 7 with Davis second on 4. For carries into the penalty area he's also leading the stats on 4.

For Shots on Target he's joint first and I'm sure his goal won't be far behind. Joint top for assists.

It's a very small sample size but encouraging from someone where there were concerns that he might have reached his level.

All stats from WhoScored.com.

* - Carries that move the ball towards the opponent's goal line at least 10 yards from its furthest point in the last six passes, or any carry into the penalty area. Excludes carries which end in the defending 50% of the pitch)

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:22 - Aug 14 with 985 viewsStokieBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:12 - Aug 14 by FrimleyBlue

Clearly not just me based on the some of the replies. But good for you to picking mine out only tho. Shock horror

I've responded to you because we've had this exact discussion before and you've not learnt anything since you called him "whack-a-ball". You stick by an unattainable goal for someone who wouldn't be playing for us if he could do what you ask.

He's top of the passing stats this year so far and had the second most assists in the league last year. It's hard to know what more you actually expect him to do for a player that cost a few hundred thousand.

It's interesting that you never actually engage when you reply to me, I can only assume it's because you tend to have no actual counters to the points raised. Instead you play the victim as if you shouldn't have to defend anything you've said even when the evidence is clearly against it.

SB
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 21:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:28 - Aug 14 with 932 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:22 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

I've responded to you because we've had this exact discussion before and you've not learnt anything since you called him "whack-a-ball". You stick by an unattainable goal for someone who wouldn't be playing for us if he could do what you ask.

He's top of the passing stats this year so far and had the second most assists in the league last year. It's hard to know what more you actually expect him to do for a player that cost a few hundred thousand.

It's interesting that you never actually engage when you reply to me, I can only assume it's because you tend to have no actual counters to the points raised. Instead you play the victim as if you shouldn't have to defend anything you've said even when the evidence is clearly against it.

SB

People post on here but you have this desperation to pull my thoughts out and then moan about my posts only.

In this thread alone. One poster says specifically he feels burns could be replaced. Where's your response to that to start a discussion there?

What is it you actually want me to say you that's acceptable? I've acknowledged his stats. I've acknowledged what he's good at. You however don't acknowledge that he's got bad points and you don't accept that someone can feel his position can be improved on.

The issue isn't about opinions here. The issue is that refuse to bow down to you about it. And that's what bugs you and feeds you continous pulling of anything I post whilst you gladly ignore other posts.

In summary
Burns is good on days. He has good stats.
He also has bad points.
I feel we can do better on that side. Some might. Some might not.

The end.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:46 - Aug 14 with 913 viewsfarkenhell

For me, the most pleasing part of what was an excellent team second goal was the way that Burns checked his run, looked up, delayed his pass and then delivered a pinpoint pass to KJ (looks really good on Town in 5). As Texters said in another thread, both Burns and Jackson would not have done the same last year.

I'll be first to admit, I was getting particularly frustrated during the first half of last season, when on a number of occasions he would be in a similar position but all too often tried to score a wonder goal. His decision making improved as he (and others) became more in tune with Hirst's movement in and around the box. His performance against Stoke was light years away from the frustration of last year. Simply brilliant.
Well Played Mr Burns on 22:04 - Aug 14 with 892 viewsSheffordBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:46 - Aug 14 by farkenhell

For me, the most pleasing part of what was an excellent team second goal was the way that Burns checked his run, looked up, delayed his pass and then delivered a pinpoint pass to KJ (looks really good on Town in 5). As Texters said in another thread, both Burns and Jackson would not have done the same last year.

I'll be first to admit, I was getting particularly frustrated during the first half of last season, when on a number of occasions he would be in a similar position but all too often tried to score a wonder goal. His decision making improved as he (and others) became more in tune with Hirst's movement in and around the box. His performance against Stoke was light years away from the frustration of last year. Simply brilliant.

I think one of the issues with making judgements about when players do and don't shoot (or do anything during a game) is that none of us know the general instructions from the manager.

Overall we got off an awful lot of shots last season, often from far from optimal situations. That suggests that they were given encouragement to take a chance on a shot. The coaching staffs instructions may well have changed over time as they've developed the patterns of play and feel the players can execute them.

That's not giving Burns (or anyone else) a free pass for making a poor decision - just pointing out that often we don't know what they've been asked to do.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Well Played Mr Burns on 22:14 - Aug 14 with 871 viewsfarkenhell

Well Played Mr Burns on 22:04 - Aug 14 by SheffordBlue

I think one of the issues with making judgements about when players do and don't shoot (or do anything during a game) is that none of us know the general instructions from the manager.

Overall we got off an awful lot of shots last season, often from far from optimal situations. That suggests that they were given encouragement to take a chance on a shot. The coaching staffs instructions may well have changed over time as they've developed the patterns of play and feel the players can execute them.

That's not giving Burns (or anyone else) a free pass for making a poor decision - just pointing out that often we don't know what they've been asked to do.

Yes, fair point.
Well Played Mr Burns on 23:22 - Aug 14 with 828 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Good comment. Do you think he has room to significantly improve further? Do you think there could be players that would be better in his position?
Well Played Mr Burns on 06:17 - Aug 15 with 789 viewsChurchman

On Saturday before seeing any reports I gave my take on attending an Ipswich game for the first time in a few years. My view of Burns was:

‘Burns? Worked them over. Final ball a bit iffy sometimes but he was a handful’

A fellow poster said I’d been a little harsh on him and I agreed, having thought about it.

Having seen him close up I can safely say Burns is an unusual player and I think a very good one. He works tirelessly, has serious pace, he’s robust, persistent and has a good level of control. Has a great attitude too and is clearly popular. He is going to give a lot of his opponents a very bad day.

His marker was mostly Stevens. He had a bad day and probably needed an ice bath after that. He should have been booked too for relentlessly fouling and hauling Burns back. It was the best he could do.

Double marking? No doubt teams will because he’s a major threat. Can he play at Championship level? Oh yes, of course he can. If the doom brigade want to pick on a player, I suggest they look elsewhere. As for finding somebody who can do what he does better, good luck with that.
Well Played Mr Burns on 08:08 - Aug 15 with 737 viewsSwansea_Blue

Playing him further up the pitch suits him. His defensive game wasn’t strong enough when we played him as a wing back imo, but then he is a winger after all. He’s vital to our attacking line - not as easy to replace as some people think.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Well Played Mr Burns on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 705 viewsfarkenhell

Well Played Mr Burns on 23:22 - Aug 14 by BrockleyBlue78

Good comment. Do you think he has room to significantly improve further? Do you think there could be players that would be better in his position?

There is always room for improvement (both individually and as a team) and the players will undoubtedly attain that with the level of coaching they are getting at the club. However if Burns continues to put in consistently the overall level of performance that he showed against Stoke, then I think we would be hard-pressed to find a better replacement in the Championship.
Well Played Mr Burns on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 705 viewsitfcjoe

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:08 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

He's literally made the most in-play effective passes in the division according to Not The Top 20 podcast.

We've been over this before, you expect him and other to be perfect, for every pass to be spot on. It's just not going to happen and this level.

SB

It's classic lack of looking at comparable data like the whole debate with him last year - he can be top for cross completion in league, but because he remembers the ones that miss he thinks he should be better.....rather than realise that if every player has a lower completion percentage that they are also missing the easy ones, they just aren't seen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Well Played Mr Burns on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 661 viewsDJR

I think our crossing improved immeasurably last season. It was McKenna's first period in charge when it was a real issue, because for all our possession, we created relatively few chances from out wide (or at all).

But it's not just the crossing that was the problem then, it was also the runs into the box which weren't necessarily staggered, and so gave the person crossing less options.

I also think when McKenna took charge, that we lacked options to attack through the middle, which meant virtually all our attacks were out wide, which made it much easier to defend. Now that we have more attacking options through the middle, it opens up more space for attacking out wide because the opposition can't be sure which way we will attack.

All in all the improvements are down to McKenna both in terms of coaching and acquisition of players.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 10:05]
Well Played Mr Burns on 09:47 - Aug 15 with 640 viewsBiGDonnie

Well Played Mr Burns on 21:22 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Stick him on ignore SB. I've not seen a post from him in a week or so now and the board is so much better for it.

As I said, frimbot not liking Burns is probably the highest praise he could get.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Well Played Mr Burns on 10:13 - Aug 15 with 613 viewsStokieBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 09:47 - Aug 15 by BiGDonnie

Stick him on ignore SB. I've not seen a post from him in a week or so now and the board is so much better for it.

As I said, frimbot not liking Burns is probably the highest praise he could get.

I've tried it, when he's turbo-posting it makes the forum unreadable.

Also, last time I put him on ignore he weirdly kept disingenuously mentioning me so I would prefer to see what he's saying.

In the end he should be able to defend his positions with evidence, it's his issue not mine that he can't.

SB

Well Played Mr Burns on 10:19 - Aug 15 with 604 viewsBiGDonnie

Well Played Mr Burns on 10:13 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

Also, last time I put him on ignore he weirdly kept disingenuously mentioning me so I would prefer to see what he's saying.

In the end he should be able to defend his positions with evidence, it's his issue not mine that he can't.

SB

Turbo posting

I think he's been on holiday this week, so I'll have to see how it is when he inevitably gets back to posting utter sh(te about our top of the table superstars!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Well Played Mr Burns on 14:13 - Aug 15 with 514 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 10:13 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Haha there it is.

"When he's turbo posting"

No that can't be you moaning about me posting when the majority of those posts are me replying to your goading posts.

See how It works. You've ruined a perfectly good thread again SB then moan about the volume of MY posts when you've started the diversion of the thread into the SB show. Imagine how many less posts from me they'd be if you stopped craving my attention. Bless you.

FB.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Well Played Mr Burns on 15:07 - Aug 15 with 489 viewsStokieBlue

Well Played Mr Burns on 14:13 - Aug 15 by FrimleyBlue

Haha there it is.

"When he's turbo posting"

No that can't be you moaning about me posting when the majority of those posts are me replying to your goading posts.

See how It works. You've ruined a perfectly good thread again SB then moan about the volume of MY posts when you've started the diversion of the thread into the SB show. Imagine how many less posts from me they'd be if you stopped craving my attention. Bless you.

FB.

What on earth are you on about?

I never mentioned your volume of posting until the concept of putting you on ignore was mentioned to me.

All my posts were with regards to you ignoring evidence about players. Lots have agreed, others have confirmed your behaviour with their own examples. It's not goading to point out the evidence doesn't support your take.

You're becoming more erratic by the post and signing off with initials as a dig is really childish stuff.

Unless you're going to engage with the evidence I've got nothing more to say to you on this thread.

SB
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 15:09]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024