Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India's moon mission 13:23 - Aug 23 with 3333 viewsthe_toff

Would be the first mission to successfully land at the south pole of the Moon, due to land soon.

Looks fake to me.
India's moon mission on 18:15 - Aug 23 with 851 viewsfactual_blue

India's moon mission on 16:08 - Aug 23 by ronnyd

Seems a touch obscene for a country in which many of their citizens are in extreme poverty to be having an expensive space programme. ,

Many Americans are in deep and extreme poverty. There are studies showing around 5% of US households with children live on less than $2 day.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/how-poor-are-americas-poorest-u-s-2-a-day-pov

Those billionaires didn't get where they are today by letting their wealth trickle down.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 21:10]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

India's moon mission on 18:17 - Aug 23 with 845 viewsStokieBlue

India's moon mission on 18:08 - Aug 23 by vilanovablue

Although in fairness if the USA had been minded too they'd have got there first. Nonetheless it is some achievement.

Well, that was my point but I didn't want to undermine the Indian achievement.

They decided to do it and they succeeded.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

India's moon mission on 19:11 - Aug 23 with 788 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

India's moon mission on 17:43 - Aug 23 by StokieBlue

With regards to orbital mechanics it's no more difficult than any other part of the moon (this is where Russia failed the other day though).

The actual landing is more difficult because the surface in that area is more rocky that other areas.

I agree it's a great achievement for India.

SB

I literally said "because it's much harder than other areas." I didn't say anything about orbital mechanics.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

India's moon mission on 19:18 - Aug 23 with 783 viewsEdwardStone

India's moon mission on 16:24 - Aug 23 by the_toff

It wasn't actually a particularly expensive mission in the grand scheme of things, and I'm sure there's a case that it creates jobs and boosts India's standing for future prospects and projects. It cost less than a Declan Rice.

It is a common misconception the the marority of the Indian population is sustained by Rice....

The vast majority prefer Wheater
India's moon mission on 19:22 - Aug 23 with 771 viewsDeano69

looks legit
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 19:22]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

India's moon mission on 23:15 - Aug 23 with 716 viewsmikeybloo88

One small step for naan...
India's moon mission on 05:26 - Aug 24 with 685 viewsDubai_Blue

India's moon mission on 16:08 - Aug 23 by ronnyd

Seems a touch obscene for a country in which many of their citizens are in extreme poverty to be having an expensive space programme. ,

Not considering the UK still gives India 80 million a year in handouts. So basically, we have paid for their Moon mission!
India's moon mission on 08:46 - Aug 24 with 637 viewsStokieBlue

India's moon mission on 19:11 - Aug 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

I literally said "because it's much harder than other areas." I didn't say anything about orbital mechanics.

Indeed you did.

I was just pointing out that the whole process isn't any more difficult, just the final part of landing.

Doesn't actually look that rocky though, they must have picked a good spot and accurately landed which is great for them.

They might even have a double celebration today if Pragg can win the chess World Cup (chess is massive in India).

SB

Login to get fewer ads

India's moon mission on 08:50 - Aug 24 with 629 viewsStokieBlue

India's moon mission on 05:26 - Aug 24 by Dubai_Blue

Not considering the UK still gives India 80 million a year in handouts. So basically, we have paid for their Moon mission!

Well given some researchers estimate that the UK took ~9 trillion GBP out of India over a 173 year period it's hardly burning a hole in our pockets to give them some charitable funds.

Whether we should or not is a debate that can be had but in the grand scheme of things it's barely anything compared to Tory PPE nonsense for instance.

SB

India's moon mission on 09:05 - Aug 24 with 610 viewsDubai_Blue

India's moon mission on 08:50 - Aug 24 by StokieBlue

Well given some researchers estimate that the UK took ~9 trillion GBP out of India over a 173 year period it's hardly burning a hole in our pockets to give them some charitable funds.

Whether we should or not is a debate that can be had but in the grand scheme of things it's barely anything compared to Tory PPE nonsense for instance.

SB

The point I very poorly made, was more that if they can afford to run a space program, they no longer need the UK's money, money that could be put to better use in the UK.
India's moon mission on 09:11 - Aug 24 with 604 viewsChurchman

India's moon mission on 09:05 - Aug 24 by Dubai_Blue

The point I very poorly made, was more that if they can afford to run a space program, they no longer need the UK's money, money that could be put to better use in the UK.

Or to other countries who have extreme need/poverty.
India's moon mission on 11:53 - Aug 24 with 561 viewswilsondavid

They already reached there yesterday. Nonetheless, it's a great achievement. Russia's Luna 25 failed couple of days ago
India's moon mission on 11:56 - Aug 24 with 545 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 11:53 - Aug 24 by wilsondavid

They already reached there yesterday. Nonetheless, it's a great achievement. Russia's Luna 25 failed couple of days ago

Ahh OK. Thanks for letting me know David.
India's moon mission on 20:32 - Aug 24 with 470 viewsSE1blue

Todays Google doodle on their homepage is great (based on the landing).

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024