Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? 20:33 - Aug 26 with 5004 viewsunstableblue

1. We came up against the parachute payment gap today, and a ridiculously expensive squad and forward line. The fact we managed to score 3 and have a strong second half, with a much lower value squad is testament to our progress.

2. But despite their ridiculously expensive forward line, bar one goal (individual brilliance), we gave away soft goals today. If we’d been more switched on today we would have won.

3. The need for 2 more high quality additions was very clear. Jackson for all his pace, is not up to this level. And Ladapo was exposed when he came on for not making the grade. If only Hirst has been fit.

4. When you’re playing at this level you can’t carry players, and I’m afraid Burgess, Chaplin and Broadhead had weak games. The latter has to be better, as he was poor at QPR. He’s a brilliant player and had moments, but we need him firing. Hladky apart from the fluff, had a good game.

5. I’m not sure subbing Clarke with Williams really worked. Clarke had settled. Williams was thrown in. I could see Clarke and Burns weren’t happy about it.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:37 - Aug 26 with 948 viewsStokieBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 by cressi

All these people saying Jackson good now No his now works extremely hard end off can't pass when easy can't win a header or hold the ball up we need two strikers of better quality OK squad player what does it say of Ladapo when Jackson picked before him personally for progress and not personal I'd like both replaced with better.

Virtually everything you've posted tonight is nonsense but I guess at least your consistent.

"Jackson can't pass"

Jackson literally put the second goal on a plate for Broadhead with his cross.

Also, any chance you could you some punctuation and paragraphs?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:44 - Aug 26 with 920 viewsPioneerBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:06 - Aug 26 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Completely agree with what you say re: Jackson. He was tireless out there and causes a lot of problems. His biggest flaw is that he is not a finisher, but he adds so much else to the team and genuinely seems to get better every week under McKenna.

Not sure what you disagree with regarding the 5th point though. It was a mistake to replace Clarke with Williams. To throw him in when we are chasing a win, having not played in 18 months and only being at the club for a couple of days seems bonkers and not really fair on the player. Ball is not the long term solution in that area but he would have been the one I went to today, at least he is settled in the squad and up to speed with the way we do things.

Last weekend Chelsea did something very similar by bringing on Caicedo when trailing against West Ham and having only been there 5 days. He cocks up, gives away a penalty and the game is gone. You could even draw a comparison with what we did with Davis against Bolton last season. Starts the game within days of signing, gives away a penalty early doors. You could flip that around and say "look at Piroe starting today and scoring". It's great when it works out, but it's a huge gamble, particularly when you do it with defenders.

Challenge is and only the counter argument. How do you get Williams championship match fit otherwise, it will take weeks if we drop him in on games. I thought that’s how we would probably do it combined with cup game this week. There is then the international break to get training into everyone. I assume Clarke can’t do 90 therefore it’s probably pre planned and coincidence that Leeds managed to pick one pass that caught him early in game. He’s not the first full back to gift a goal in his first game. I see your point about Ball but KMcK clearly isn’t viewing him a real plan b in that role more a tactical option in game should need arise, he’s not got the pace for the role.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:48 - Aug 26 with 897 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Thought Broadhead had a really good game?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:53 - Aug 26 with 881 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:06 - Aug 26 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Completely agree with what you say re: Jackson. He was tireless out there and causes a lot of problems. His biggest flaw is that he is not a finisher, but he adds so much else to the team and genuinely seems to get better every week under McKenna.

Not sure what you disagree with regarding the 5th point though. It was a mistake to replace Clarke with Williams. To throw him in when we are chasing a win, having not played in 18 months and only being at the club for a couple of days seems bonkers and not really fair on the player. Ball is not the long term solution in that area but he would have been the one I went to today, at least he is settled in the squad and up to speed with the way we do things.

Last weekend Chelsea did something very similar by bringing on Caicedo when trailing against West Ham and having only been there 5 days. He cocks up, gives away a penalty and the game is gone. You could even draw a comparison with what we did with Davis against Bolton last season. Starts the game within days of signing, gives away a penalty early doors. You could flip that around and say "look at Piroe starting today and scoring". It's great when it works out, but it's a huge gamble, particularly when you do it with defenders.

It's a wonder how you're not a professional football manager.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 00:32 - Aug 27 with 853 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:44 - Aug 26 by PioneerBlue

Challenge is and only the counter argument. How do you get Williams championship match fit otherwise, it will take weeks if we drop him in on games. I thought that’s how we would probably do it combined with cup game this week. There is then the international break to get training into everyone. I assume Clarke can’t do 90 therefore it’s probably pre planned and coincidence that Leeds managed to pick one pass that caught him early in game. He’s not the first full back to gift a goal in his first game. I see your point about Ball but KMcK clearly isn’t viewing him a real plan b in that role more a tactical option in game should need arise, he’s not got the pace for the role.

Yeah it's a fair point and had the game been a bit more in our favour I could see the argument for throwing him in. Likewise, you could make the point that we needed to gamble and that McKenna knows the player and his mentality, so feels confident that one minor setback is not going to be important to his development with us. On Ball, I agree with that especially regarding his pace - not a perfect solution but as that utility man it just seemed like the right scenario today. To be fair to Williams as well, Hutchinson should have dealt with the initial threat with a tactical foul. Chalk it up to inexperience I suppose.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 00:36 - Aug 27 with 852 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:53 - Aug 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's a wonder how you're not a professional football manager.

That's a bit reductive innit? McKenna is fantastic but he is also human and makes mistakes. I'm not claiming to be a better manager than him, I'm just agreeing with the unstable's fifth point.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 06:21 - Aug 27 with 798 viewsZapers

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:39 - Aug 26 by Facefacts

Point 3.
Where are these high quality additions going to come from, in the next week or so? It's an impossible situation, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, we are loaning in players from the PL who don't fit or are panic buys as no high quality purchase who want to come to Ipswich are available or inexpensive enough. We are victims of our own success at the moment, we know how good we are and how impatient we are to maintain the upward trajectory but the football world has not caught up. Years to prise a player from Peterborough for whom we overpay, MacAnthony "I got a great deal". And he doesn't get in our team. Just have to keep working with what we've got.

Calm down, too much drama. Who are these players we are loaning in from the PL that don't fit or are panic buys?

Jeez, wish some of you guys would have more grounded opinions and some patience.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 07:13 - Aug 27 with 766 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 23:37 - Aug 26 by StokieBlue

Virtually everything you've posted tonight is nonsense but I guess at least your consistent.

"Jackson can't pass"

Jackson literally put the second goal on a plate for Broadhead with his cross.

Also, any chance you could you some punctuation and paragraphs?

SB

"at least you're consistent"

"any chance you could use some punctuation"

Login to get fewer ads

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 07:53 - Aug 27 with 744 viewsRIPbobby

Fair play to Farke he put in 2 outcasts for their first matches of the season. Knowing how our gaffer works we would have been setup for their previous x1.

For me we gave them too much respect. 29 didn't get tackled until late in the second half and pretty much did what he wanted before that. Ampadu kept kicking everyone first half and pretended to be hurt to stop himself getting booked.

But no major worries for me. We went toe to toe with them and fell just short. Our defenders will learn from it and to be fair to them they've had little to do for a season or so. Bring on Cardiff.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 07:55 - Aug 27 with 741 viewsChurchman

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 20:54 - Aug 26 by Herbivore

Jackson isn't up to this level? He set up our first two goals, was one of our best players, and generally gave them fits.

I have to say Jackson is a better player ‘live’ than he looks on tv. Sounds a dumb thing to say, but I believe you do get a slightly different perspective. Jackson works tirelessly and his pace is a real asset. I thought he gave the Leeds defence something to think about. He did well, just as he did when he came on against Stoke.

He isn’t the same type of player as Hirst but he has plenty of good things about his game and I’d certainly keep him.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 8:24]
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 08:09 - Aug 27 with 735 viewspointofblue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 07:53 - Aug 27 by RIPbobby

Fair play to Farke he put in 2 outcasts for their first matches of the season. Knowing how our gaffer works we would have been setup for their previous x1.

For me we gave them too much respect. 29 didn't get tackled until late in the second half and pretty much did what he wanted before that. Ampadu kept kicking everyone first half and pretended to be hurt to stop himself getting booked.

But no major worries for me. We went toe to toe with them and fell just short. Our defenders will learn from it and to be fair to them they've had little to do for a season or so. Bring on Cardiff.

The annoying thing is I can see Gnonto and Sinisterra being sold by Friday.

The slightly concerning thing is we looked less capable of handling them than Cardiff did on opening day. But that might be because we tried to play our preferred style rather than use a low block.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 09:30 - Aug 27 with 697 viewsBloomBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 08:09 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

The annoying thing is I can see Gnonto and Sinisterra being sold by Friday.

The slightly concerning thing is we looked less capable of handling them than Cardiff did on opening day. But that might be because we tried to play our preferred style rather than use a low block.

I thought Piroe made a big difference to them yesterday, a lot of intelligent runs when he didn't have the ball to stretch Town in the same way as Hirst does.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 09:37 - Aug 27 with 689 viewspennblue

Defence too weak

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:08 - Aug 27 with 663 viewsStokieBlue

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 07:13 - Aug 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

"at least you're consistent"

"any chance you could use some punctuation"

Indeed, the trials and tribulations of using one's mobile to post late at night.

However, there is a rather large difference between those small mistakes and writing a block of text with no full stops and no paragraphs.

SB
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 10:11]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:20 - Aug 27 with 652 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:08 - Aug 27 by StokieBlue

Indeed, the trials and tribulations of using one's mobile to post late at night.

However, there is a rather large difference between those small mistakes and writing a block of text with no full stops and no paragraphs.

SB
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 10:11]

I know, sorry, couldn't resist. When you're correcting someone else you need to make sure your own post is perfect!

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:28 - Aug 27 with 631 viewsblueislander

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 by cressi

All these people saying Jackson good now No his now works extremely hard end off can't pass when easy can't win a header or hold the ball up we need two strikers of better quality OK squad player what does it say of Ladapo when Jackson picked before him personally for progress and not personal I'd like both replaced with better.

Does punctuation exist in your world?
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:29 - Aug 27 with 627 viewsblueislander

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:33 - Aug 26 by cressi

If Jackson has time to think his done plays on instinct only not for me what ever McKenna says one good tackle and his in his shell.

Wtf
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 10:58 - Aug 27 with 600 viewsVegtablue

1. Yes
2. Ish - their frontline was on it yesterday and I don't see our defenders routinely coping much better than they did
3. Yes for a top third finish

4&5. Gnonto was too good for Clarke and Williams yesterday. He cut inside Clarke twice in the first half like he wasn't there, contributing heavily to the third goal (another day he tucks it into the corner and Hladky doesn't have the opportunity to spill it). Burgess had two shocker passes, Woolfie two underhit and I don't think either was significantly better defensively. Woolfie will hopefully learn when to make a decisive challenge and when to pass the player on, as miscommunication here aided the first goal and almost against QPR. Then our two scorers aren't at the level of their counterparts in white, which maybe highlighted their deficiencies to you yesterday? Both good Championship players but I think we'll be disappointed if we expect them to regularly have as much involvement in Championship games as they did when it was a mismatch last season - or to routinely be the best players on the pitch. Against normal opposition they score the goals that grab us 3 points.

6. Morsy was superb and the middle held up. Discrepancies in quality on the flanks cost us - Burns putting in an admirable shift but not finishing moves like a top Championship player; our good fullbacks not good enough to repel PL quality on this occasion (most occasions I suspect). Thankfully this feeds back to point 1. and isn't one we'll often contend with.
7. I'm always happy with Leif, he's ready to be a permanent fixture in a promotion XI I've no doubt, but people get carried away when they tout 8-figure sums IMO. Gaining space on or going past a player isn't in his arsenal currently, which limits how high he can climb in what's arguably the most demanding position now at higher levels.
8. Williams was all wrong positionally for the fourth but, had he been better placed, is it really a goal we prevent more often than not? I'm not convinced.
Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 11:08 - Aug 27 with 594 viewsNthQldITFC

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 22:29 - Aug 26 by Vaughan8

I've seen him come on vs Sunderland and today and he looks a bit lost.

Definitely gives a pathetic/weak attempt to head the ball before their 4th goal.

Having said that, hes just joined a new team and new league so maybe hes just getting used to it all. Certainly not writing him off, but he's not adding an awful lot at the moment.

On a separate point, the OP mentions Broadhead. I have to agree he didn't think have a great game despite the goal. Missed a few very good chances and gave the ball away.

Jackson did very well. However, never looks much of a goal threat. The assist for the og was a shot going well wide.

To be fair, Jackson looked more of a goal threat yesterday than I've ever seen him. He had a couple of well struck shots saved and threw himself at a couple on the near post. Okay the backheel flick was the wrong choice on one, but he seems to putting himself about a bit more now. I'm liking it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 11:15 - Aug 27 with 588 viewsHerbivore

Quick fire thoughts on Leeds game - do you agree? on 11:08 - Aug 27 by NthQldITFC

To be fair, Jackson looked more of a goal threat yesterday than I've ever seen him. He had a couple of well struck shots saved and threw himself at a couple on the near post. Okay the backheel flick was the wrong choice on one, but he seems to putting himself about a bit more now. I'm liking it.

He was really good. He led the line in an attacking performance that saw us score three (he set up two of them) and create numerous other chances. It's weird that a few still have their blinkers on and say he's not good enough after a performance like that, and his similarly very good appearance against Stoke in our last home game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024