Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latest Book Thread? 23:38 - Sep 4 with 1684 viewsCoastalblue

Not seen one for a while but just finished a series of back to back books that I loved, though annoyingly got to wait for the last one now.

The Red Rising series by Pierce Brown, a kind of futuristic fantasy with I guess traces of The Hunger Games, Wool etc but tied up with Roman mythology and set across the stars. Really very, very good and I'm not normally much of a Sci-Fi reader.

Anybody else read?

Wotcha got?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Latest Book Thread? on 08:05 - Sep 5 with 1535 viewsSteve_M

I'm currently reading The Rise and Reign of the Mammals, which is a fascinating and very accessible account of, well, mammals. Brusatte's book on dinosaurs, with a very similar title, is also really good.

Before that, Serhii Plokii's account of the Cuban missile crisis, which was also really interesting but far more concerning about the arrogance and misunderstandings that could easily have led to nuclear war.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Latest Book Thread? on 08:49 - Sep 5 with 1506 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Funny, sad, shocking and interesting... and all done in small bite-size pieces, so very easy to read.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Latest Book Thread? on 08:54 - Sep 5 with 1499 viewsRobTheMonk

Currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. Only about two chapters in but it’s good.

Also looking to wrap up the final three Wheel of Time books before the end of the year.
[Redacted] on 08:58 - Sep 5 with 1495 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Latest Book Thread? on 09:12 - Sep 5 with 1476 viewsBluesky

Latest Book Thread? on 08:05 - Sep 5 by Steve_M

I'm currently reading The Rise and Reign of the Mammals, which is a fascinating and very accessible account of, well, mammals. Brusatte's book on dinosaurs, with a very similar title, is also really good.

Before that, Serhii Plokii's account of the Cuban missile crisis, which was also really interesting but far more concerning about the arrogance and misunderstandings that could easily have led to nuclear war.

My grandson (11) bought Rise and Reign of The Mammals for his classmate's birthday. I was so impressed I bought my own copy and it is a fascinating book. On the same lines and level of expertise as Richard Fortey's "Life". https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/54785/life-by-richard-fortey/
Latest Book Thread? on 09:19 - Sep 5 with 1460 viewsMookamoo

Latest Book Thread? on 08:49 - Sep 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Funny, sad, shocking and interesting... and all done in small bite-size pieces, so very easy to read.

Fern Brady's Strong Female Character is brutal and very funny. Rather than anxiety, it's about navigating life as an someone with un-diagnosed autism
Latest Book Thread? on 10:53 - Sep 5 with 1421 viewsWeWereZombies

Finally got around to reading 'The Salt Path' by Raynor Winn this summer and found it fascinating. I regret trying to give her advice on avoiding blisters last summer now and must get hold of the subsequent two books. Could have made up for my error at FolkEast this year if I had checked the late news board before hurrying over to The Cobbold Arms but instead of seeing her interviewed by Matthew Bannister I spent the time at a talk by Vinca Wines...

Bought 'Ruth and Martin's Album Club' from the St Elizabeth Hospice charity tent whilst I was there and loved reading about albums for the most part but the first one I chose to go to was 'Marquee Moon' and the first time listener disappointed me, oh well.

Now back to reading 'The Love Object' by Edna O'Brien, a collection of short stories most of which have been published in two other collections I have but when its the finest writer in the English language you don't mind...I bought a five hundred and fifty page book just to read a few pages of introduction by John Banville...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Latest Book Thread? on 10:57 - Sep 5 with 1416 viewsNthQldITFC

Manda Scott: Boudica - Dreaming the eagle

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Latest Book Thread? on 13:25 - Sep 5 with 1361 viewsSteve_M

Latest Book Thread? on 09:12 - Sep 5 by Bluesky

My grandson (11) bought Rise and Reign of The Mammals for his classmate's birthday. I was so impressed I bought my own copy and it is a fascinating book. On the same lines and level of expertise as Richard Fortey's "Life". https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/54785/life-by-richard-fortey/

That's impressive from your grandson.

Popular science is one thing but to be able to convey the latest scientific thinking as well as the uncertainty of what we know in a way that is that readable is impressive. I would definitely go and buy the Dinosaur one too.

Latest Book Thread? on 15:10 - Sep 5 with 1323 viewsCoastalblue

Latest Book Thread? on 10:57 - Sep 5 by NthQldITFC

Manda Scott: Boudica - Dreaming the eagle

That's a good series, several years since I read them and the occasional character/plot twist that makes you hold the book at arms length and go WTF? but enjoyable overall.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Latest Book Thread? on 15:48 - Sep 5 with 1286 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm quite offended you need to ask, as I thought it would be obvious. Tsk!

[Post edited 5 Sep 2023 15:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Latest Book Thread? on 15:51 - Sep 5 with 1283 viewsWeWereZombies

Latest Book Thread? on 15:48 - Sep 5 by Swansea_Blue

I'm quite offended you need to ask, as I thought it would be obvious. Tsk!

[Post edited 5 Sep 2023 15:49]

Interesting, please let us know when you have started to read it...

Latest Book Thread? on 16:08 - Sep 5 with 1267 viewsartsbossbeard

Gone back to my preferred reading matter of late.

Babi Yar: The story of Ukraine's holocaust. A. Anatoli

Told by a young lad who witnessed it all. Shocking as it is depressing.

Fairy Tale: Stephen King.

It's book writing as it should be. Hooked in from page 1, strong characters, a perpetual sense of foreboding & a dog that you want nothing bad to come of it.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Latest Book Thread? on 16:20 - Sep 5 with 1236 viewsChurchman

Just finished The Powder of Death by Julian Stockwin and Civil War by Peter Ackroyd.

Current read: Sharpe’s Fury by Bernard Cornwell.
Latest Book Thread? on 16:20 - Sep 5 with 1234 viewsjontysnut

Don Winslow's City on Fire, first of a trilogy about Irish/Italian crime families in 1980s New England loosely based in The Illiad.
Latest Book Thread? on 16:23 - Sep 5 with 1224 viewsWeWereZombies

Latest Book Thread? on 16:08 - Sep 5 by artsbossbeard

Gone back to my preferred reading matter of late.

Babi Yar: The story of Ukraine's holocaust. A. Anatoli

Told by a young lad who witnessed it all. Shocking as it is depressing.

Fairy Tale: Stephen King.

It's book writing as it should be. Hooked in from page 1, strong characters, a perpetual sense of foreboding & a dog that you want nothing bad to come of it.

In the 1960s Ygevny Yevtushenko read his poem 'Babi Yar' to football stadiums in Russia full of eager listeners, how times have changed.

https://www-tc.pbs.org/auschwitz/learning/guides/reading1.4.pdf

Latest Book Thread? on 16:48 - Sep 5 with 1195 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Not my current latest book but one that everyone should read.

Endurance by Alfred Lansing.

The only book I've read multiple times.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Latest Book Thread? on 22:51 - Sep 5 with 1098 viewsWhos_blue

Not really a new book but I've just read The beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri.
Powerful imagary, beautifly written with very clever chapter transitions.
The book details the journey of refugees from Syria to Europe.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Latest Book Thread? on 07:16 - Sep 6 with 1028 viewsMullet

I've got about 30 pages of Saxons by Marc Morris left - well worth the investment

Ancestors by Alice Roberts is up next

I've got Cat Jarmin's River Kings and a book on the English Civil war teed up after that.

I've got a very expensive habit of buying books in piles, then taking years to get through them all. Hoping to get back into the swing of reading most nights has been an ambition for far too long!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Latest Book Thread? on 07:48 - Sep 6 with 1011 viewsSteve_M

Latest Book Thread? on 07:16 - Sep 6 by Mullet

I've got about 30 pages of Saxons by Marc Morris left - well worth the investment

Ancestors by Alice Roberts is up next

I've got Cat Jarmin's River Kings and a book on the English Civil war teed up after that.

I've got a very expensive habit of buying books in piles, then taking years to get through them all. Hoping to get back into the swing of reading most nights has been an ambition for far too long!

River Kings is excellent, I really enjoyed that. It's about the vikings for the uninitiated, but tells a far wider story than the one popular knowledge would lead people to expect.

Latest Book Thread? on 08:12 - Sep 6 with 981 viewsMullet

Latest Book Thread? on 07:48 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

River Kings is excellent, I really enjoyed that. It's about the vikings for the uninitiated, but tells a far wider story than the one popular knowledge would lead people to expect.

I've got a lot of History books I want because I'll watch a documentary every so often and get invested. There's been a glut of Viking stuff in the past few years, whether that's because of the popularity due to the TV series or not I'm not sure.

There's also a fella who has done two interesting looking books on witches/witch trials/ panics and it's a topic I've not looked at since Uni or before. But there's a Radio 4 pod that sparked my interest just called "Witch", something worth listening to by the by.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Latest Book Thread? on 10:46 - Sep 6 with 917 viewsRobTheMonk

Latest Book Thread? on 16:20 - Sep 5 by jontysnut

Don Winslow's City on Fire, first of a trilogy about Irish/Italian crime families in 1980s New England loosely based in The Illiad.

I've read Power of The Dog by Winslow and that was good. Bleak in places, but good. Need to pick up the other two in that trilogy at some point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024