Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad 10:28 - Sep 21 with 9161 viewsunstableblue

I think most of us agree Hladky is undroppable at the moment, so Walton will have to bide his time.

Williams looks very strong, but given Clarke performance on Tuesday and that Davis injury is lite and he’ll be back soon, I suggest he’ll drop back to the bench.

Axel needs time to get really robust and back strengthened - but he’ll surely be knocking on the door, and as he’s our highest paid player and part of the ‘Premiership Ready’ squad updates… he’s surely going to displace one of our CBs. Which is crazy given how well Wolfie and Burgess are playing. Which side would he play?! Will we see him alongside Baggot/Fridge against Wolves??

Taylor, Humphreys, and Evans push Luongo and Morsy.

Burns is on fire, Broadhead is doing well but patchy, but Omari is giving McKenna a wonderful headache.

And certainly for all of the above with this crazy run of games and yellow cards looming, rotation is going to happen.

One area of the squad which I think may be in McKenna’s January plans is centre forward. Don’t get me wrong the work rate of Hirst was remarkable on Tuesday. He ran so far and pressed all over the back line. But is he the next level? Could he have done better with his chances? Scarlett failed to impress. I think Freddie will get games.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:30 - Sep 21 with 5775 viewsSomethingBlue

Bit harsh to call Broadhead patchy! Sometimes has periods where we could get him more involved but he's been brilliant and the divisional figures prove it.

On Tuanzebe, I'd be surprised if we see him vs Wolves or much at all before Christmas but then what do I know. Suspect his chance may come when/if Burgess goes to the Asian Cup – and then it'll all depend how well he does.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:33 - Sep 21 with 5730 viewstractorboy1978

"Scarlett failed to impress" - what a silly comment. He did nothing wrong and played the role exactly how McKenna would have wanted him to in the circumstances of the game. Some nice touches and I read he didn't give the ball away once.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:36 - Sep 21 with 5711 viewsJackNorthStand

I agree with Williams that he will be back to the bench. It’s a tough act to follow coming in for leif but given he replaced Greg Leigh ( who was mainly a squad player not a starter ) and is in as a loanee and also given what we’ve seen so far I think it seems pretty clear he will struggle to displace leif and get a run of games unless due to injury.

I think Axel will eventually become first choice CB but as you’ve said hard to see who he replaces right now. I would say he is probably better with the ball than Burgess and better at defending than Wolfie so could be either ? That’s not being critical of Wolfie or Burgess just an observation of what I have noticed when previously watching Axel. Very assured on the ball and very good at defending. Although I think one huge positive to Wolf and Burgess is that they compliment one another well.

Based on current showing I can’t see Taylor getting in the side ahead of Luongo. Once again Morsy and Luongo seem a perfect partnership and compliment one another so well. This Ipswich side is so much better with Luongo and Morsy together in it. I think that’s as proven given our record of wins since Luongo was signed.

With the centre forward I think we are more than covered but wouldn’t be duprierd to see Freddie move on in January given his age and that he will want to start matches. However I’m not sure I would like to see that happen.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:37 - Sep 21 with 5707 viewsMookamoo

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:30 - Sep 21 by SomethingBlue

Bit harsh to call Broadhead patchy! Sometimes has periods where we could get him more involved but he's been brilliant and the divisional figures prove it.

On Tuanzebe, I'd be surprised if we see him vs Wolves or much at all before Christmas but then what do I know. Suspect his chance may come when/if Burgess goes to the Asian Cup – and then it'll all depend how well he does.

It would be great to think Tuanzebe would be properly match fit soon. It might take a few months yet.

I have a feeling we will play Clarke alongside Woolfenden with Williams at Right back when we lose Burgess if Tuanzebe isn't quite ready to do a full 90.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:00 - Sep 21 with 5589 viewsWeWereZombies

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:37 - Sep 21 by Mookamoo

It would be great to think Tuanzebe would be properly match fit soon. It might take a few months yet.

I have a feeling we will play Clarke alongside Woolfenden with Williams at Right back when we lose Burgess if Tuanzebe isn't quite ready to do a full 90.

Would we have signed Tuanzebe on a one year deal (I know there is an option of a second but that is just an option) on big wages if he was months away from first team fitness ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:09 - Sep 21 with 5541 viewstractorboy1978

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:00 - Sep 21 by WeWereZombies

Would we have signed Tuanzebe on a one year deal (I know there is an option of a second but that is just an option) on big wages if he was months away from first team fitness ?

Not sure why there is an assumption he is on big wages? He was out of contract and not earning anything when we signed him. I doubt we've structured a deal in a way that means he's being paid big wages regardless of whether he plays or not.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:09 - Sep 21 with 5541 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Where I am at on strikers. Pretty happy. Want to see more of Scarlett before suggesting it might be an area they look at in January. But as posted above wouldn't be surprised to potentially see movement there in January, there was clearly lots of interest in Ladapo.

Hirst- I love what George Hirst brings us. Guy works his socks off and is absolutely battered by about 60 minutes and he is certainly a key cog in this side. The only criticism of Hirst is, I'm not sure he's a brilliant natural finisher, has had some pretty good chances this season but seems to be snatching at shots. But thats is small concern for now, mainly cause the 3 behind him, whoever they are score lots of goals (with help from his hard work). But would like GH to get another one soon. Don't like strikers going long periods without scoring.

Ladapo- there are games for Ladapo. Cardiff was a game for him, Sheff Wed probably was not. He is a very good penalty box poacher though.

Scarlett- Enjoyed his cameo vs Saints. Thought he looked strong, mobile good touches. very very similar to TJJ imo. Hopefully without the injury issues.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 11:11]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:09 - Sep 21 with 5539 viewsDinDjarin

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:00 - Sep 21 by WeWereZombies

He's a 20 million pound + player if fit so its probably an educated gamble.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:12 - Sep 21 with 5508 viewsFrimleyBlue

Our current top goalscorer is patchy?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:14 - Sep 21 with 5484 viewsStokieBlue

"Broadhead is doing well but patchy"

Another one of your volcanic hot takes there. Broadhead is our joint top scorer (having played less minutes) and also has an assist putting him second there. His stats are better than Chaplin in most areas (mins per goal, goal conversion, chances created per 90 etc). He was also excellent when he came on against the Saints. I don't think the evidence supports your "patchy" assessment at all.

"Taylor, Humphreys, and Evans push Luongo and Morsy."

Not sure about this one either. They are all great for the squad but I think Massimo and Morsy are the clear number one pair if both are available.

On Hladky, he's been brilliant but I'm not as convinced as many that Walton will have to bide his time, hard one to know what McKenna will do here.

SB
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 11:16]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:16 - Sep 21 with 5463 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 10:30 - Sep 21 by SomethingBlue

Broady's a funny one. At times it looks like he's off the pace, but he's also been our most effective player statistically. Go figure!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:19 - Sep 21 with 5432 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I'd like to see Humphreys get some introductions in the league, even as a second half sub against some the teams lower in the league. We have a hell of a player in that kid and we need to get him going in the Championship because there's goals in him.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:25 - Sep 21 with 5395 viewsWeWereZombies

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:09 - Sep 21 by DinDjarin

There is no twenty million pound player there if we do not get him fit so I would suggest the timescale of the deal is that we expect him to shape up pretty quick. The query about my assumption on wages on an earlier post is valid though, I picked up that assumption from another post.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:33 - Sep 21 with 5331 viewsReusersTown

You think Burns is on fire but Broadhead is patchy!? That's an odd take for me, Broadhead has drifted in games a little but has shown he has good Championship quality, not sure the same can be said for Burns.

I would also say that for the amount of time on the pitch and in the context of the game Scarlett did impress, compared to Ladapo this year anyway.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 11:34]
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:03 - Sep 21 with 5233 viewsPhilTWTD

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:14 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

Another one of your volcanic hot takes there. Broadhead is our joint top scorer (having played less minutes) and also has an assist putting him second there. His stats are better than Chaplin in most areas (mins per goal, goal conversion, chances created per 90 etc). He was also excellent when he came on against the Saints. I don't think the evidence supports your "patchy" assessment at all.

Not sure about this one either. They are all great for the squad but I think Massimo and Morsy are the clear number one pair if both are available.

On Hladky, he's been brilliant but I'm not as convinced as many that Walton will have to bide his time, hard one to know what McKenna will do here.

SB

I'm not sure I'd disagree with Broadhead having been patchy. He's been in and out of matches and I don't think he's been at his best yet.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:18 - Sep 21 with 5101 viewsMookamoo

He may well be ready to play before Christmas, but who knows what then happens. The trouble with coming back from along term injury is other bits start to break, so its not unreasonable to think he will be in and out of the squad this season.

If it looks like it's all going in the right direction, then we have him for Year 2
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:23 - Sep 21 with 5062 viewsStokieBlue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:03 - Sep 21 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure I'd disagree with Broadhead having been patchy. He's been in and out of matches and I don't think he's been at his best yet.

It's about end product though surely?

He's not the type of player who is going to be constantly in matches (Chaplin isn't always in the match either, it's the nature of that position in games where we don't dominate the ball).

I don't think we can expect him to be fully in matches all the time, if he was I doubt he would be playing for us. I thought he was pretty heavily involved when he came on against the Saints.

Guess people see different things.

SB
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 12:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:32 - Sep 21 with 4954 viewstextbackup

Scarlett controlled the ball when it went to him. Which is far more than Fred and Hirst have done in the last 2 games.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:37 - Sep 21 with 4906 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:33 - Sep 21 by ReusersTown

You think Burns is on fire but Broadhead is patchy!? That's an odd take for me, Broadhead has drifted in games a little but has shown he has good Championship quality, not sure the same can be said for Burns.

I would also say that for the amount of time on the pitch and in the context of the game Scarlett did impress, compared to Ladapo this year anyway.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 11:34]

Sorry to clarify I think Broadhead is fantastic and for me our best player.

But this season he has drifted in influence in games, now that is because he is being targeted and very tightly marked as much as his form. But I do think in a few games he’s failed to get going till later in the game.

Of course when he clicks he scores a wunder goal! And changes games. He was moving beautifully over the ground when he came on on Tuesday.

Burns on Tuesday was terrific he grabbed the game and brought a lot of physicality and is getting service into the box. He seems to be very high in confidence. And yes for me is bringing a little bit more than Broadhead.

Omari brought a a hell of a lot himself to the left side. Including some brilliant pressing and tackling.

It’s a great squad, full of good people with good competition.

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:38 - Sep 21 with 4866 viewsvilanovablue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:09 - Sep 21 by DinDjarin

I'm pretty sure the club have said he is on decent wages publicly.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:42 - Sep 21 with 4832 viewsPhilTWTD

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:23 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

He's not the type of player who is going to be constantly in matches (Chaplin isn't always in the match either, it's the nature of that position in games where we don't dominate the ball).

I don't think we can expect him to be fully in matches all the time, if he was I doubt he would be playing for us. I thought he was pretty heavily involved when he came on against the Saints.

SB

Probably not, but he's had fairly long spells where he's not been involved in some games. Not saying he's had a bad start to the season or anything like that, indeed, his contribution against Cardiff was absolutely crucial, just that I think we can see more from him. Might be because he had an interrupted pre-season and busy summer. Agree he was excellent after he came on on Tuesday.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:56 - Sep 21 with 4753 viewsPique

I've always thought of Tuanzebe as an early January signing (if that makes any sense!). Think once we get into the dog days of winter and injuries/suspensions/international tournaments start kicking in we'll be seeing quite a bit of him, but until then he'll be free to get into top shape, learn how we play and be ready to make a big contribution I reckon.
Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:58 - Sep 21 with 4722 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:14 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad by unstableblue 21 Sep 2023 12:37
Sorry to clarify I think Broadhead is fantastic and for me our best player.

But this season he has drifted in influence in games, now that is because he is being targeted and very tightly marked as much as his form. But I do think in a few games he’s failed to get going till later in the game.

Of course when he clicks he scores a wunder goal! And changes games. He was moving beautifully over the ground when he came on on Tuesday.

Burns on Tuesday was terrific he grabbed the game and brought a lot of physicality and is getting service into the box. He seems to be very high in confidence. And yes for me is bringing a little bit more than Broadhead.

Omari brought a a hell of a lot himself to the left side. Including some brilliant pressing and tackling.

It’s a great squad, full of good people with good competition.

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:59 - Sep 21 with 4705 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 11:12 - Sep 21 by FrimleyBlue

Our current top goalscorer is patchy?

See replies above

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 13:04 - Sep 21 with 4634 viewsFrimleyBlue

Thoughts on Williams, Axel and Walton in first team? And striker quality - squad on 12:23 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Interesting how you discuss things dependent on poster

You spent hours saying goals weren't that important.

Interesting.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024