Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone 19:56 - Sep 22 with 4122 viewsPendejo

And good riddance.

Way back when Gamechanger were rumoured to be taking over I'm sure I had an exchange on here about potential, and can recall someone ridiculing my assertion that we could average over 26,000.
At that time I thought, no, assumed, they meant we would fall short, but maybe it was me who under estimated the potential.

I had gotten used to the tickets being available about a week before the games, so imagine my shock when I realised Preston was already on general sale and Cobbold only had RV seats.

Still, ticket purchased in Cobbold A.

A few games to go 'til then COYB!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 20:51 - Sep 22 with 3952 viewsIllinoisblue

The times they are a changin’. And feels like we’re only just getting started. COYB

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 20:59 - Sep 22 with 3915 viewsSwansea_Blue

There were only 6 left when I bought on Tuesday (might have been Wednesday, short memory!). It's just bonkers. I paid quite a bit more for a seat at the front of the upper tear of Sir Alf stand than the normal price for that stand. No idea what that's all about as it not somewhere I normally sit. But who cares, it's peanuts compared to the cost of the round trip. Setting off at 6.30 am

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 05:04 - Sep 23 with 3449 viewspowinswitch

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 20:59 - Sep 22 by Swansea_Blue

There were only 6 left when I bought on Tuesday (might have been Wednesday, short memory!). It's just bonkers. I paid quite a bit more for a seat at the front of the upper tear of Sir Alf stand than the normal price for that stand. No idea what that's all about as it not somewhere I normally sit. But who cares, it's peanuts compared to the cost of the round trip. Setting off at 6.30 am

I’ll guess you are in block x at the front of the Sir Alf. Have used them for games that are a tenner wherever you sit. You have a treat coming. Fantastic view. Plenty of leg room. Safe travels
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 06:33 - Sep 23 with 3363 viewsMK1

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 20:59 - Sep 22 by Swansea_Blue

Some of the best seats in the house those.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 07:32 - Sep 23 with 3279 viewsChurchman

I don’t think I was part of the conversation but I didn’t think we could get to an average of 26k. 23k or 24k with a following wind were my thoughts at the time. Even in the good ole days the average was no more than 26000. I got it very wrong and certainly underestimated the potential..

What has happened and is happening is remarkable. In three years I’ve gone from wondering if there would be much of a club left once dementor Evans and windbag Lambert had gone to wondering how far this club can go.

I couldn’t be happier about it.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 08:17 - Sep 23 with 3187 viewsSwansea_Blue

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 05:04 - Sep 23 by powinswitch

I’ll guess you are in block x at the front of the Sir Alf. Have used them for games that are a tenner wherever you sit. You have a treat coming. Fantastic view. Plenty of leg room. Safe travels

Yes, it’s block X. Sounds good thanks 👍

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 09:47 - Sep 23 with 3009 viewsBluebell

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 08:17 - Sep 23 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, it’s block X. Sounds good thanks 👍

It is good. We sit there.

If you are a season ticket holder in row X you get a free programme and a free hot drink or bottle of water each game.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 10:02 - Sep 23 with 2938 viewslurcher

It is difficult to know the upper potential of crowds at PR. Look at this graph of population growth.

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10168351/cube/TOT_POP

The big thing is the rate of the growth, which has climbed considerably over the last few years. Ipswich was about 113k in 1980, and 137k in 2019 it is likely to be over 140k today. Saying nothing of population growth over the county.

If Town do well and have the capacity, there is the potential for crowds to climb well over 30k.
Login to get fewer ads

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:01 - Sep 23 with 2743 viewsMK1

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 10:02 - Sep 23 by lurcher

It is difficult to know the upper potential of crowds at PR. Look at this graph of population growth.

The big thing is the rate of the growth, which has climbed considerably over the last few years. Ipswich was about 113k in 1980, and 137k in 2019 it is likely to be over 140k today. Saying nothing of population growth over the county.

If Town do well and have the capacity, there is the potential for crowds to climb well over 30k.

If we can establish ourselves as a mid table-upper half premier League club, I think gates would be between 35 and 40,000. There are a lot of younger faces at games these days, so the club is obviously becoming more appealing to the yoot.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:11 - Sep 23 with 2711 viewsArnieM

I’ve posted on here in the past ( even before GC was on the scene), that Town has a massive “ dormant” fan base. It’s just that the 20 years of stagnation and gradual steady decline had stripped those fans of any hope. As had often been said on here by numerous posters ( during those dark days), it’s the hope that kills you.

As someone had said on this thread, we’re only just getting started (and look at our following now!). It’s quite extraordinary and unprecedented.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:32 - Sep 23 with 2668 viewsgrow_our_own

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:01 - Sep 23 by MK1

If we can establish ourselves as a mid table-upper half premier League club, I think gates would be between 35 and 40,000. There are a lot of younger faces at games these days, so the club is obviously becoming more appealing to the yoot.

Agreed. We were pulling upper 30,000s when population of Ipswich was much lower. Bear in mind that when crowds reach 26k or so, there are a few thousand restricted view seats, which deter some from coming. Cobbold needs a rebuild. Upper tier is too far from the action due to the wasted space on roof of executive boxes. Restricted view seats need removing.

I hope ifwhen this happens they can treat new Cobbold as an "extension" to the existing stand, not a rebuild. This will work-around the stupid FIFA regulations that force new stands to leave at least four metres of dead-space between touchline and stand. Proximity is crucial factor in design of stadia. Just ask Juventus fans. They hated their Stadio Delle Alpi so much because of pitch distance, they moved out to another one and Delle Alpi was eventually demolished!
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:36 - Sep 23 with 2648 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:32 - Sep 23 by grow_our_own

Agreed. We were pulling upper 30,000s when population of Ipswich was much lower. Bear in mind that when crowds reach 26k or so, there are a few thousand restricted view seats, which deter some from coming. Cobbold needs a rebuild. Upper tier is too far from the action due to the wasted space on roof of executive boxes. Restricted view seats need removing.

I hope ifwhen this happens they can treat new Cobbold as an "extension" to the existing stand, not a rebuild. This will work-around the stupid FIFA regulations that force new stands to leave at least four metres of dead-space between touchline and stand. Proximity is crucial factor in design of stadia. Just ask Juventus fans. They hated their Stadio Delle Alpi so much because of pitch distance, they moved out to another one and Delle Alpi was eventually demolished!

Seems pretty obvious that we could support 40k ish in the premier league, especially if we gave 5k or so to the away team. I imagine in reality we end up at 35k as a capacity with a load more corporate seats.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:40 - Sep 23 with 2631 viewsThe_Major

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:11 - Sep 23 by ArnieM

I’ve posted on here in the past ( even before GC was on the scene), that Town has a massive “ dormant” fan base. It’s just that the 20 years of stagnation and gradual steady decline had stripped those fans of any hope. As had often been said on here by numerous posters ( during those dark days), it’s the hope that kills you.

As someone had said on this thread, we’re only just getting started (and look at our following now!). It’s quite extraordinary and unprecedented.

This is the thing. In terms of the nearest other teams getting a 20k plus attendance regularly, you have to south to West Ham, west to Leicester, or north to you know who, and it seems ridiculous to say they're the closest when they're over 40 miles away.

Haven't gone eastwards, because unless I haven't been paying attention and Woodbridge Town now play in the 70k Grundisburgh Megadome, you're going to get a bit wet before you find another suitably sized stadium.

Massive dormant untapped potential - and of course other teams have the same - Plymouth tap into Cornwall, Carlisle have most of the Lake District, and up north Ross County or Inverness Caley have the whole of the very top part of Scotland. (Although I appreciate it is going to be a tad tricky to travel)
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:41 - Sep 23 with 2626 viewsHipsterectomy

It must be doing great for the town as a whole. It's absolutely rammed in the pubs/bars/restaurants before matches now. I remember in the Mick days you'd go to a pub at 2pm and there would be maybe 10 Town fans. Now to even get in the front door I may have to navigate 20 people who are drinking outside

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 12:12 - Sep 23 with 2551 viewsArnieM

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 11:32 - Sep 23 by grow_our_own

There was a post on fb this week about various clubs support levels and how good some were. Trans like Leeds, Sunderland, Plymouth, norwich, that particular week were noted . A fab poster asked the question , I wonder what that following is really like as per head of population” . That made me take a quick look and whilst in the face of it done Club might appear well supported, when you actually look at their population, it then in some cases ours s different perspective on things . Gif instance : populations of those towns/cities as at 2023 are cited as;

Plymouth : 250,000 +
Leeds : 812,000
Norwich : 203,613
Sunderland : 345,000
Ipswich: 140,000

So in the context of head per population, Plymouth are actually poorly supported , and Town are very well supported. You could even argue Leeds as not as well supported as they should be. Clearly ground capacity is a factor. But the potential for growth say in Ipswich’s case looks limited due to population size but we know that we draw a large proportion of our support from outside the town. Which might explain why our away following is so high?

Intriguing stuff though ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 12:17 - Sep 23 with 2540 viewsMeadowlark

Can we use "gotten" now?
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 13:21 - Sep 23 with 2412 viewsSomethingBlue

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 10:02 - Sep 23 by lurcher

Yep, the really key point I think is that Suffolk’s population is pushing 800,000 and we can add decent patches of north Essex too. Our catchment area gives us much greater potential than most people realise.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 15:38 - Sep 23 with 2244 viewsSwansea_Blue

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 09:47 - Sep 23 by Bluebell

It is good. We sit there.

If you are a season ticket holder in row X you get a free programme and a free hot drink or bottle of water each game.

I’m enjoying your seats. Padded, loads of leg room. The most pampered backsides in the ground

The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 07:50 - Sep 24 with 2020 viewslurcher

It will have to be a complete rebuild. The Cobbold stand has a bit of subsidence, you can see it as you look down the roofline.
The days of deciding to come to PR at 10am on a Saturday gone on 08:53 - Sep 24 with 1873 viewsWickets

Get yourself a season ticket Bud ! you know it makes sense .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024