Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Win percentage as a fan 15:10 - Oct 10 with 3076 viewsselondonblue23

Afternoon all.

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

I’m off work just at the minute so I have found and updated the (incredibly tragic) document I have that records every Town game I’ve ever been to.

I’ve not lived locally for a long time so since my first game back in 1996, it’s been roughly 5/6 games a season.

For stats fans:

Ipswich – 67 (26 Portman Road, 41 away)
Draw – 25 (10 Portman Road, 15 away)
Loss – 42 (9 Portman Road, 33 away)

Portman Road (45) – 26 W, 10 D, 9 L
Away (89) – 41 W, 15 D, 33 L

Ipswich goals – 210
Opposition goals – 141
Overall – 351 = 2.62 p/m
Goal Difference = +69

Yes, I know, deeply sad. But like a cat dragging in something that it’s killed I wanted to share it with someone.

One thing that struck me was the percentage of Town wins I’ve been lucky enough to see. 50%. Given I go away more often than PR this feels like a surprisingly good record. Maybe subconsciously I went less often in the really bad times - but I have so many bleak memories that this feels unlikely.

Is anyone as similarly tragic as me?

Do you have a doc that records that you were there when Shumulikoski scored?

Have you too never seen a win in your six visits to Molineux?

Something to muse on in the international break perhaps.
Win percentage as a fan on 15:21 - Oct 10 with 2993 viewsTractorCam

Impressive record, especially away!

I use Futbology app which is handy to have all my games logged, although I may have missed some games from when I was a kid. Mine tells me this much, starting from 2002:

663 games, 496 home and 167 away
289 wins, 172 draws, 202 defeats
1,005 goals scored (thanks Chaplin v Hull for 4 digits), 803 conceded
80 grounds watching ITFC
Biggest win: 8-1 vs Avenir Beggen 2002
Biggest loss: 7-0 vs Chelsea 2011

I do have an away game record not on me where I think i've seen approx 8 more losses than wins, played some nice catch up under McKenna!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Win percentage as a fan on 15:30 - Oct 10 with 2964 viewsiamipswich

I really wish I had a document like this!

I may go back through and try and give my best shot but realistically it will only cover from Mick's tenure onwards if I want it to be accurate. No chance of me recalling every game for the last 20+ years.

My record at Molineux is 0 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses. Thanks to Tommy Miller's late free-kick. I was there for Shumulikoski scored!

Poll: Who will return first?

Win percentage as a fan on 15:38 - Oct 10 with 2939 viewsselondonblue23

Win percentage as a fan on 15:21 - Oct 10 by TractorCam

Impressive record, especially away!

I use Futbology app which is handy to have all my games logged, although I may have missed some games from when I was a kid. Mine tells me this much, starting from 2002:

663 games, 496 home and 167 away
289 wins, 172 draws, 202 defeats
1,005 goals scored (thanks Chaplin v Hull for 4 digits), 803 conceded
80 grounds watching ITFC
Biggest win: 8-1 vs Avenir Beggen 2002
Biggest loss: 7-0 vs Chelsea 2011

I do have an away game record not on me where I think i've seen approx 8 more losses than wins, played some nice catch up under McKenna!

That is a lot of games! And a brilliant record.

Can you see which player you’ve seen score the most? Scowcroft and Darren Bent for me, at 12 apiece. Shout out to Tommy Smith who’s up in joint fourth. And Josh Carson, because I witnessed 66% of his Town goals.

That app sounds great, I’ll have a look.

You mustn’t be far off doing the 92.
Win percentage as a fan on 15:43 - Oct 10 with 2915 viewsselondonblue23

Win percentage as a fan on 15:30 - Oct 10 by iamipswich

I really wish I had a document like this!

I may go back through and try and give my best shot but realistically it will only cover from Mick's tenure onwards if I want it to be accurate. No chance of me recalling every game for the last 20+ years.

My record at Molineux is 0 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses. Thanks to Tommy Miller's late free-kick. I was there for Shumulikoski scored!

I was lucky that I got started years back, but I must admit I can’t be sure it’s 100% accurate. My Town ticket purchase record says I was at a 1-0 loss at home to Palace in 2011 but I can’t remember a second of it.

Would recommend trying to piece together what you can, I found it very nostalgic. Also it really re-emphasised the fun element of being a football fan, the memories etc, especially in the context of how special it is right now.
Win percentage as a fan on 15:48 - Oct 10 with 2900 viewsVegtablue

The answer is no 😂 but cracking stuff!

My experience of Molineux is two draws and zero goals, so not in a rush to go back but less miserable than yours.

I would have concluded you were a lucky charm if you'd posted those stats two years ago. Now I'm seeing less than 2 PPG at home and wondering if you better keep your distance aha.
Win percentage as a fan on 15:49 - Oct 10 with 2893 viewsTractorCam

Win percentage as a fan on 15:38 - Oct 10 by selondonblue23

That is a lot of games! And a brilliant record.

Can you see which player you’ve seen score the most? Scowcroft and Darren Bent for me, at 12 apiece. Shout out to Tommy Smith who’s up in joint fourth. And Josh Carson, because I witnessed 66% of his Town goals.

That app sounds great, I’ll have a look.

You mustn’t be far off doing the 92.

Josh Carson that is rogue! Can't see that unfortunately but I would have to presume Daryl Murphy would be up top with Chaplin hunting him down.

The main purpose of the app is for recording grounds you've been too but it's brilliant for the simple stats too. I am slowly doing the 92 but not all with Town, 67 of those 80 are in that though.

Win percentage as a fan on 15:50 - Oct 10 with 2882 viewsTractorCam

Win percentage as a fan on 15:48 - Oct 10 by Vegtablue

My experience of Molineux is two draws and zero goals, so not in a rush to go back but less miserable than yours.

I would have concluded you were a lucky charm if you'd posted those stats two years ago. Now I'm seeing less than 2 PPG at home and wondering if you better keep your distance aha.

I have 3 visits. A 2-0 win and a 0-0 draw with Ipswich to make it a happy ground for me, then I watched England get smacked 4-0 by Hungary.

Win percentage as a fan on 16:04 - Oct 10 with 2839 viewsselondonblue23

Win percentage as a fan on 15:48 - Oct 10 by Vegtablue

Three wins from three at Ashton Gate though so happier memories there!

I grew up in the Midlands but don’t have a particularly good Town record at any Midlands grounds, except Pride Park and the Bescot.

I don’t make too many trips to PR so I won’t curse the current good form but 7 points from 9 for me on the road this season!
Login to get fewer ads

Win percentage as a fan on 17:13 - Oct 10 with 2668 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, all the details are in my signature at the bottom, as is a blog from a few years ago I wrote about it.

First game was Luton at home in 1983, and from then on, I only managed a couple of games a year as my parents weren't interested until I was old enough to go on my own to home games in the late 80s, and then away games from the beginning of the 90s.

Win % is currently 48.17%, which is fairly respectable, and if you were to pro-rata my all time record across a 46 game season, it would see us to 73 points, more-or-less in the POs.

I too have never seen a win at Wolves, but plenty of draws in the five or six times I have been there (1993, 1995, 2000, 2003, 2016ish and possible another one).

I also tracked how many times I have seen us play each opponent, and the goalscorers - Connor Chaplin has just broken in to my all-time top ten.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Win percentage as a fan on 17:15 - Oct 10 with 2652 viewsITFC_Forever

Win percentage as a fan on 15:49 - Oct 10 by TractorCam

Josh Carson that is rogue! Can't see that unfortunately but I would have to presume Daryl Murphy would be up top with Chaplin hunting him down.

The main purpose of the app is for recording grounds you've been too but it's brilliant for the simple stats too. I am slowly doing the 92 but not all with Town, 67 of those 80 are in that though.

I'm on 80..... life getting in the way of making significant progress on that at the moment.

A couple of friends who are single are on the verge of finishing the 92 - one is going to his 89th on Saturday, and another only has 5 or 6 to do.

Win percentage as a fan on 18:04 - Oct 10 with 2561 viewsselondonblue23

Win percentage as a fan on 17:13 - Oct 10 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, all the details are in my signature at the bottom, as is a blog from a few years ago I wrote about it.

First game was Luton at home in 1983, and from then on, I only managed a couple of games a year as my parents weren't interested until I was old enough to go on my own to home games in the late 80s, and then away games from the beginning of the 90s.

Win % is currently 48.17%, which is fairly respectable, and if you were to pro-rata my all time record across a 46 game season, it would see us to 73 points, more-or-less in the POs.

I too have never seen a win at Wolves, but plenty of draws in the five or six times I have been there (1993, 1995, 2000, 2003, 2016ish and possible another one).

I also tracked how many times I have seen us play each opponent, and the goalscorers - Connor Chaplin has just broken in to my all-time top ten.

This is such a brilliant blog. I love it. So true re the memories. Thanks for sharing.

Ah, I thought my win percentage was pretty special but yours being so similar having seen so many more games suggests that’s not the case!

I’m up to 53 of the 92, and it’s reflective of our status that I’ve got a fair few Premier League grounds to tick off.
Win percentage as a fan on 18:12 - Oct 10 with 2543 viewstractorshark

My dad is not a regular but I try to take him when I can. He once went three years without seeing us win around the 2016-19 time.
It got to the stage where, if my dad tagged along, my sons would resign themselves to a draw or defeat on the way up from Sussex. It made for some long journeys home.
Win percentage as a fan on 08:39 - Oct 11 with 2291 viewsTractorCam

Win percentage as a fan on 17:15 - Oct 10 by ITFC_Forever

I'm on 80..... life getting in the way of making significant progress on that at the moment.

A couple of friends who are single are on the verge of finishing the 92 - one is going to his 89th on Saturday, and another only has 5 or 6 to do.

Is it a trip to see the mighty Walsall? I have that for 77/92 on Saturday after being in London the Friday, then next week have Mansfield for 78 after Rotherham on the Friday.

Win percentage as a fan on 11:45 - Oct 11 with 2196 viewsChurchman

Win percentage as a fan on 16:04 - Oct 10 by selondonblue23

Three wins from three at Ashton Gate though so happier memories there!

I grew up in the Midlands but don’t have a particularly good Town record at any Midlands grounds, except Pride Park and the Bescot.

I don’t make too many trips to PR so I won’t curse the current good form but 7 points from 9 for me on the road this season!

Well done to you and others who keep such accurate records. I wish I’d done. I do remember the Ashton Gate games - two in a week in early 1980 and two wins followed by that dismal loss in 91/92, I think 2-1 when a young Andy Cole did for us. Wasn’t the first time either.

Wolves away? Just the 1-1 cup game in I think 1993. Shame they wiped the floor with us in the replay.
Win percentage as a fan on 11:57 - Oct 11 with 2169 viewsITFC_Forever

Win percentage as a fan on 08:39 - Oct 11 by TractorCam

Is it a trip to see the mighty Walsall? I have that for 77/92 on Saturday after being in London the Friday, then next week have Mansfield for 78 after Rotherham on the Friday.

No, we done that with ITFC in the late 90s / early 2000s.

They're going to Wrexham - although I did that one in the FA Cup in 1995.

Win percentage as a fan on 14:12 - Oct 11 with 2086 viewsbrazil1982

262 ITFC matches 157 Home, 105 Away.

W=110, L=85, D=67. F=373 A=305
Home
W= 76, L= 44, D= 37. F=236 A=160
Away
W=34 L=41 D=30. F=137 A=145

42% win rate.
53 matches (20%) have ended 1-0 (either side)
56 (21%) of matches we have not scored
Biggest win: 1998/99, Swindon 0-6 Ipswich
Biggest defeat: 2011/12, Peterborough 7-1 Ipswich
Side faced the most: Blackburn Rovers, 11 games against.
Most faced at home: Aston Villa (8)
Most faced away: Burnley and Huddersfield (6). I’ve not seen us win at Turf Moor.
Both home and away (6 matches) I’ve never seen us beat Sunderland.

For 4 or more matches, I have never seen us lose against Millwall, Man City, Bradford City, West Brom, Oldham Athletic.
My best run is v Bradford City, 5 without loss.
Win percentage as a fan on 14:29 - Oct 11 with 2039 viewsselondonblue23

Win percentage as a fan on 14:12 - Oct 11 by brazil1982

262 ITFC matches 157 Home, 105 Away.

W=110, L=85, D=67. F=373 A=305
Home
W= 76, L= 44, D= 37. F=236 A=160
Away
W=34 L=41 D=30. F=137 A=145

42% win rate.
53 matches (20%) have ended 1-0 (either side)
56 (21%) of matches we have not scored
Biggest win: 1998/99, Swindon 0-6 Ipswich
Biggest defeat: 2011/12, Peterborough 7-1 Ipswich
Side faced the most: Blackburn Rovers, 11 games against.
Most faced at home: Aston Villa (8)
Most faced away: Burnley and Huddersfield (6). I’ve not seen us win at Turf Moor.
Both home and away (6 matches) I’ve never seen us beat Sunderland.

For 4 or more matches, I have never seen us lose against Millwall, Man City, Bradford City, West Brom, Oldham Athletic.
My best run is v Bradford City, 5 without loss.

This is brilliant. I like the additional stats and now keen to add them to my record.

Hope that never losing against City record becomes relevant and remains the case next season.
Win percentage as a fan on 15:48 - Oct 11 with 1989 viewsbrazil1982

Win percentage as a fan on 14:29 - Oct 11 by selondonblue23

This is brilliant. I like the additional stats and now keen to add them to my record.

Hope that never losing against City record becomes relevant and remains the case next season.

I started a spreadsheet almost 20 years ago - the matches from the 80s and 90s have been based on programmes, tickets and my memory. I'm sure I have missed at least a dozen.
I've been to 314 "competitive" games in total including ITFC.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 16:13]
Win percentage as a fan on 23:00 - Oct 11 with 1877 viewsphilwhelansdegree

I have kept extensive records of all the games I have been to:

Including friendlies I have been to 816 Ipswich games (740 home, 76 away)
W: 385 D: 205: L 226 GF: 1304 GA: 932

Biggest win 8-1 v Avenir Beggin Biggest Loss: 0-7 v Chelsea

I have just started compiling a spreadsheets for attendances, I'm up to 2020 - so still have 3 more years to enter and Interestingly (to me at least), the total attendances for games at Portman Road is just over 12 million with an average attendance of 17459. This will only continue to rise is the current performances continue. The average for away games is 14492.

Per competition:
Top Tier: 95 Games 2nd Tier: 524 Games 3rd Tier: 49 Games FA Cup: 34 Games, League Cup: 44 games

Top 5 Players I have seen the most:
Mick Stockwell - 263
Luke Chambers - 172
Simon Milton - 161
Richard Wright: - 159
Richard Naylor - 151

Top 5 Goalscorers
Daryl Murphy - 41
Chris Kiwomya - 37
Alex Mathie - 36
Pablo Counago - 35
David Johnson 32

Glad I'm not the only saddo who keeps records!!
Win percentage as a fan on 04:55 - Oct 12 with 1820 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

This thread has blown my mind, I can't believe I haven't kept these records.

I have a record of gas and electric meter readings which goes back to the mid 1990s, for Christ's sake.

But Town games? Not a sausage.
Win percentage as a fan on 07:17 - Oct 12 with 1778 viewsMeadowlark

Win percentage as a fan on 04:55 - Oct 12 by King_ding_a_lin_g

This thread has blown my mind, I can't believe I haven't kept these records.

I have a record of gas and electric meter readings which goes back to the mid 1990s, for Christ's sake.

But Town games? Not a sausage.

I have a daily record of meter readings recorded on a spread sheet. It makes for a fascinating record.
Pity Excel did not exist when I started watching Town in 1968!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024