Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC players who defined the banter era 20:42 - Oct 23 with 8625 viewsStevieH

1. Leon Best
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 22:26 - Oct 23 with 1976 viewsChurchman

Thinking of Bullard waddling on after securing his fat new contract, for tonnage we have:

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
‘Duke’ Ellington
Chris Wood.

Ok, Tub o lard Wood came here to get fit and the following season the honed, fighting fit Wood banged them in for fun at Leeds. But that a professional player should lumber out in that state for us says an awful lot about where we were as a club at the time.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 22:51 - Oct 23 with 1922 viewsSitfcB

Zeki Fryers.

Jonny Williams in a way, superb player, but get getting injured and going back to Palace, had him on loan three times didn’t we? And each time everyone was buzzing that the saviour was back.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:03 - Oct 23 with 1903 viewsjasondozzell

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 22:51 - Oct 23 by SitfcB

Zeki Fryers.

Jonny Williams in a way, superb player, but get getting injured and going back to Palace, had him on loan three times didn’t we? And each time everyone was buzzing that the saviour was back.

Oh god...Zeki Fryers. Remember Huddersfield away?

I loved Jonny Williams. Magic feet. Got kicked to pieces didn't he. It was us all over - relying on a loan player to sprinkle some magic. See also Fraser, Lawrence etc.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:13 - Oct 23 with 1906 viewsle2blue

That player who scored and had a worldie against Preston, then had the squits at half time and had to come off. Don’t think he played again..
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:14 - Oct 23 with 1893 viewsChurchman

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:03 - Oct 23 by jasondozzell

Oh god...Zeki Fryers. Remember Huddersfield away?

I loved Jonny Williams. Magic feet. Got kicked to pieces didn't he. It was us all over - relying on a loan player to sprinkle some magic. See also Fraser, Lawrence etc.

I’d obliterated Fryers from my memory. Best left that way.

Jonny Williams was a proper footballer. When he first turned out for us I thought hello, if we can keep this lad fit what a player we could have on our hands. Scored a great goal against Derby in a night game.

Then along came a bloke from Wolves who deliberately smashed him to bits right in front of me. I saw him a few years back playing as a sub for Charlton. He was a husk of the player we first saw.

Sadly, injuries really were the story of his career. He’s exempt from the hapless dross in this thread for me because he could actually play.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 23:15]
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:26 - Oct 23 with 1871 viewsSitfcB

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:13 - Oct 23 by le2blue

That player who scored and had a worldie against Preston, then had the squits at half time and had to come off. Don’t think he played again..

Mustapha Carayol

Is that what it was at Preston?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 23:57 - Oct 23 with 1835 viewsEireannach_gorm

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 20:43 - Oct 23 by Keno

Bullard

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 00:46 - Oct 24 with 1803 viewsBLUEBEAT

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:07 - Oct 23 by jasondozzell

In a strange way, surely it's Richie Wellens? A good pro who came here on loan and sussed everything almost immediately and had the bravery to call it out.

Remember this?

Wellens: Town Players Don't Care 29th Oct 2012 09:08
Loan midfielder Richie Wellens laid into Town’s permanent signings after Saturday’s dismal defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, claiming he and his fellow temporary signings are the only ones who care. Caretaker-manager Chris Hutchings similarly pointed the finger at players in his post-match press conference after the game. 139

[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 21:42]

And he was right and that mindset continued long after he’d gone.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 05:19 - Oct 24 with 1759 viewsIPS_wich

I will give Paul Cook credit for one thing - he started the 'no dickheads' recruitment policy that McKenna has since amplified. In contrast, we've had some complete thugs and bell-ends at the club during the Evans era:
- Roy Keane
- Ben Thatcher
- Jimmy Bullard
- Michael Chopra
- Paul Taylor
- James Norwood
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 05:22 - Oct 24 with 1752 viewswkj

Piotr Malarczyk being made to play mere hours after getting in the country and then turning out to be just as rubbish when fully rested.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 05:40 - Oct 24 with 1748 viewsMK1

Darren Bant.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 06:27 - Oct 24 with 1732 viewsPerublue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 05:19 - Oct 24 by IPS_wich

I will give Paul Cook credit for one thing - he started the 'no dickheads' recruitment policy that McKenna has since amplified. In contrast, we've had some complete thugs and bell-ends at the club during the Evans era:
- Roy Keane
- Ben Thatcher
- Jimmy Bullard
- Michael Chopra
- Paul Taylor
- James Norwood

Stunned it took until half way down the 2nd page of the thread that sums up the ultimate "player" that defines this...thankfully THAT era

Chops...how much of OUR money did they use to pay off the gangsters ?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 6:37]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 06:33 - Oct 24 with 1721 viewsbrogansnose

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 22:21 - Oct 23 by jasondozzell

Cameron Stewart! Mick was addicted to buying wingers with flair and then refusing to ever play them.

Were there question marks over Stewart's attitude? I do remember him getting clobbered at Orient in a pre season friendly and moaning at the bench where he got a some choice words and industrial language from Mick to get on with it. It later turned out he'd fractured his jaw I think!

Mick as always looking for wingers to repeat his Wolves style of play but never did get one to fit the bill, Tommy Oar being one of them. To this day I don't know what happened with him.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 06:36 - Oct 24 with 1717 viewswkj

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 06:33 - Oct 24 by brogansnose

Mick as always looking for wingers to repeat his Wolves style of play but never did get one to fit the bill, Tommy Oar being one of them. To this day I don't know what happened with him.

My memory of Tommy Oar is he looked decent on his debut and then got a concussion that started a series of weird events and transfers

There was actually an article on him last week

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23847272.ipswich-town-tommy-oar-time-blues/
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 6:37]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 06:57 - Oct 24 with 1695 viewsyorkshireblue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:42 - Oct 23 by SitfcB

I think it basically started when Magilton was sacked?

So the last time we beat Norwich…it can officially end on December the 16th when we beat them.

It could be argued that the banter era will continue until summer 2025.

When Paul Lambert’s contract runs out.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 07:13 - Oct 24 with 1672 viewsChurchman

- Roy Keane
- Ben Thatcher
- Jimmy Bullard
- Michael Chopra
- Paul Taylor
- James Norwood

You forgot dear old rat face Lee Bowyer.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 07:24 - Oct 24 with 1667 viewsBlueBoots

- Roy Keane
- Ben Thatcher
- Jimmy Bullard
- Michael Chopra
- Paul Taylor
- James Norwood

Another vote for Paul Taylor...lack of due dilligence (check), selling club has our pants down over the transfer fee (check), lack of ability (check), bad egg (check)

Honourable mention for Tom Adeyemi...ex-Norwich, and 5 appearances over his 2-year contract because physically he seemed to be made of twiglets.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:06 - Oct 24 with 1642 viewsSteve_M

There are two categories here though:

1). Players who were a bit crap but cheap and signed because we had a small budget and needed to boost the squad;
2). Players who cost a lot of money by our standards and were either crap, took the piss or both.

It's the second category that deserves derision:

- Lee Martin
- Paul Taylor
- Bullard
- Chopra
- Best managed to be inexpensive, crap and took the piss so definitely in there
- Cameron Stewart is MM's worst signing in that regard
- Jon Nolan
- Toto (lovely bloke, cared but nowhere near a top League One player let alone Championship one).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:10 - Oct 24 with 1629 viewsWonTheCupin78

The Summer we signed=

Coke and Touré Join Town 1st Aug 2015 17:53
Town manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed that trialists Giles Coke and Larsen Touré are joining the club. The duo both came on as subs during today’s 1-1 draw with FC Utrecht. 41

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:30 - Oct 24 with 1619 viewsChurchman

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:06 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

There are two categories here though:

1). Players who were a bit crap but cheap and signed because we had a small budget and needed to boost the squad;
2). Players who cost a lot of money by our standards and were either crap, took the piss or both.

It's the second category that deserves derision:

- Lee Martin
- Paul Taylor
- Bullard
- Chopra
- Best managed to be inexpensive, crap and took the piss so definitely in there
- Cameron Stewart is MM's worst signing in that regard
- Jon Nolan
- Toto (lovely bloke, cared but nowhere near a top League One player let alone Championship one).

Where do you stand on Giles ‘Cokey’’proper bloke’ Coke? I see he’s got a mention at long last.

Two year contract, ten appearances. A player who had literally nothing to offer. You could have stretched a shirt over a bag of coke and it’d have been just as effective as dear old Giles. Catigory 1 or given he trousered two years wages for literally nothing Catigory 2?

Lee Martin:A very good call. An utter waste of space. What on earth was Keane thinking? I can’t think of a player less Keane-esq than Martin yet in he came and out went a lot of money. For nothing.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 8:34]
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:59 - Oct 24 with 1595 viewsSteve_M

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:30 - Oct 24 by Churchman

Where do you stand on Giles ‘Cokey’’proper bloke’ Coke? I see he’s got a mention at long last.

Two year contract, ten appearances. A player who had literally nothing to offer. You could have stretched a shirt over a bag of coke and it’d have been just as effective as dear old Giles. Catigory 1 or given he trousered two years wages for literally nothing Catigory 2?

Lee Martin:A very good call. An utter waste of space. What on earth was Keane thinking? I can’t think of a player less Keane-esq than Martin yet in he came and out went a lot of money. For nothing.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 8:34]

I think the role we signed Coke for was supplanted when Douglas became available (and his first season was largely ok IMO, the second one too far) so Coke was a bit unfortunate in that regard but also clearly not good enough to force his way into the playing squad.

Martin was thoroughly dislikeable within the squad too I think .

I'm torn on someone like David Norris as he worked hard, did ok but wasn't worth the daft amount we paid for him.

That said Campo should be on any list, obvious talent but running down his career here on decent money and added very little. Ridiculous signing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:12 - Oct 24 with 1557 viewsBlueschev

Larson Toure's corner was a personal highlight for me.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:24 - Oct 24 with 1549 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 21:42 - Oct 23 by jasondozzell

Forgot that! 😁

I don't think MM appreciated a player who was so ready to publicly point the fingers at others.
ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:52 - Oct 24 with 1518 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 08:59 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

I think the role we signed Coke for was supplanted when Douglas became available (and his first season was largely ok IMO, the second one too far) so Coke was a bit unfortunate in that regard but also clearly not good enough to force his way into the playing squad.

Martin was thoroughly dislikeable within the squad too I think .

I'm torn on someone like David Norris as he worked hard, did ok but wasn't worth the daft amount we paid for him.

That said Campo should be on any list, obvious talent but running down his career here on decent money and added very little. Ridiculous signing.

Interesting Re Douglas. I agree with you. I thought he had a decent first season, and in his second he should've had a goal vs Norwich which was wrongly ruled out.

For all the stick Douglas seems to get and got at the time, I genuinely didn't think he was our worst player at all. Mick just kept playing him next to another defensive midfielder, sometimes 2.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 09:55 - Oct 24 with 1512 viewsNthsuffolkblue

ITFC players who defined the banter era on 20:44 - Oct 23 by GeoffSentence

2. Graham Harbey

Honestly, it started earlier than you think

If we are going to stretch it back in time, I give you Amir Karic, Finidi George and Gabriel Battistuta!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024